Recognized Contributor

Smithsonian Channel BUT NOT HD!!!

[ Edited ]

I was THRILLED to see that the Smithsonian Channel was recently added. But why no HD? What a shame! I'm bummed. Is there a plan to add HD in the future? I almost don't want to watch it because I've seen it elsewhere in HD and the way I see it now in standard definition I may as well be watching in in black and white! How disappointing. Why even bother? We get "fed" so many channels that we don't want, (and pay through the nose for) yet we finally get something intellegent and it's in standard definition! Anybody know what the deal is? I'd really like to know. I've wanted that channel for a long time..then this. (I'm in Western Washington State. Comcast out of Aberdeen, Wa)

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Smithsonian Channel BUT NOT HD!!!

Same here in Chicago. SD but no HD. At least a few programs are available OnDemand in HD. Over the past year, Comcast removed a bunch of premimum HD channels. The only HD I remember being added was MundoFox (local broadcaster.)

Recognized Contributor

I never thought to check On Demand, but still! We get SHOPPING channels in HD, foreign language channels in HD, (to name just a couple of examples) yet Smithsonian in standard. Smithsonian! I guess if it doesn't make money for Comcast this is what we get. I hate to be that way, but that seems to be the case. What angers me is that I pay Comcast good money for this service and my hands are tied. This makes me mad! QVC in HD. Smithsonian Channel in Standard Definition. GO FIGURE. GRRR!!!!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you will get Smithsonian HD when you get the channels that go from 1200-1600 its up in those higher numbers.  Do you have those channels?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

your area most likely has not had the upgraded infrastructure necessary to get the extra channels.  Are you in a SA or cisco Market?

Recognized Contributor

What REALLY bothers me about all of this is that there's not a darn thing I can do about it, and they know it. Meantime, my payment gets deducted automatically from my bank account. I like Comcast services, but I feel like I'm being screwed. Like a monopoly..kinda-sorta.

Recognized Contributor

I'm in Western Washington State. (on the coast) I think my nearest Comcast "station" is Aberdeen, Wa.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

youll get the upgraded channels soon its rolling out across most the country.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

rog286713 wrote: you will get Smithsonian HD when you get the channels that go from 1200-1600 its up in those higher numbers.  ...

In my area Smithsonian HD is channel 915. Why do you continue to assume that all Comcast markets are, or will be, set up like yours is?

Bronze Star Contributor
bkyle7301

like to have this in Chattanooga has well but in HD as well

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

I was telling the op that when they get the upper level channels like in the 900-1600 they will probably get it then.  They only go to 700 so their system is not yet upgraded for the new hd tier.   my giving the channel numbers was just an example of the upgrade.  They never posted where they are or how many channels they got.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

At least y'all get the channel somewhere on your lineup. It hasn't made it to my channel lineup yet. Knowing Comcast and how they operate here we will either never get it or it could be added in a few years.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Whether or not you get more HD has NOTHING to do with channel numbers. Comcast can use whatever numbers they want. There are tons of open numbers still available, and lots of available bandwidth. It's all about $$$. It takes $$$ in carriage fees. $$$ in equipment to 'broadcast' the frequencies. Just because they dropped analogs doesn't mean that equipment was good enough to carry digital signals. You need a much cleaner transmitter for digital than analog.