Contributor
moposh
Accepted Solution

Soapnet is still operating, so why doesn't Comcast have it?

Soapnet is still on the air, so why doesn't Comcast have it.  I know it was supposed to shutdown, but it hasn't yet so why was it taken off the air for Comcast customers?  This just doesn't make sense and I can't seem to get a straight answer from Comcast. 

I want to get Soapnet for as long as I can before it switches, so Comcast needs to keep airing it.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Soapnet is still operating, so why doesn't Comcast have it?

see this thread.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Disney-Junior-to-Replace-SoapNet-in-March/td-p...

Basically what it boils down to is since disney cancelled the network they gave the providers like comcast a few options.

1.  Stop carrying it and switch to disney or carry both until its cancelled.   Comcast elected to just drop it and not wait till its pulled from the network.

Comcast is not bringing it back as its going to cease to exist anytime now.  

Contributor
moposh

Thanks.  I still wish Comcast would carry it until it's absolutely no longer on the air.  And I know I'm not the only one because when I called Comcast I was told a lot of people had called as well.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

In my city Disney Junior is on ch. 138.

As of now SoapNet is also still on ch. 120. I don't watch it but I know a lot of others do. No word from Comcast when it will disappear from the lineup.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Visitor
whatwhywho2

My senoir citizen group and I do volunteer services  during the hours when the soaps

is on CBS. so we look forward to soapnet at 7pm. If comcast will not keep it on. Direct tv.

will carry it .and we will cancle comcast services!!

thank you for not serving your older customers.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

no matter where you go i.e directv the netowork is cancelled by disney and will cease to exist shortly.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

instead of calling comcast call abc/disney and let them know you want soapnet to continue to be offered. They are the ones shutting down soapnet and maybe if enough people complain they won't shut it down.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Queen-Evie wrote:

In my city Disney Junior is on ch. 138.

As of now SoapNet is also still on ch. 120. I don't watch it but I know a lot of others do. No word from Comcast when it will disappear from the lineup.

The bottomline is that ABC-Disney is eventually turning off SoapNet because of low viewership. The SoapNet viewership will be even lower now as it is many less households. ABC-Disney can get more eyeballs and make more advertising dollars from Disney Junior than they can from SoapNet.

The change was initiated and requested by ABC-Disney. 

Here is a link to a list of ABC/Disney executives that you may want to contact:

http://www.disneyabctv.com/division/index_executives.shtml 

SoapNet was in 75 million homes and (according to Ad Age) was only able to recently garner a primetime average of 185.000 viewers. Only a small number of "people" were watching it and ABC-Disney made a business decision. 

The network’s ratings peaked in 2008-2009 with a primetime average of 353,000 viewers. In the past three months, that average is now only 185,000, according to Ad Age. Clearly, the Walt Disney Co. is hoping the change will get higher ratings."

Some areas of our Central Division have elected to continue to offer both SoapNet and Disney Junior for a period of time.

Below article (March 22) from the Hollywood Reporter has some background on this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-junior-replaces-soapnet-friday-303366

excerpted below:

"But that doesn't mean SOAPnet will go away for all viewers. A Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson explains that it currently has carriage agreements with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Bright House Networks and Verizon for Disney Junior and those affiliates will also continue to carry SOAPnet.

"We view the launch of Disney Junior as a transition, not a flip of a switch," a Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter. "And as such SOAPnet will remain available for an undetermined period of time as deals are finalized with distributors."

SOAPnet has carried encore presentations of All My Children, General Hospital, One Life to Live, and The Young and the Restless, as well as the series Beverly Hills, 90210, Veronica Mars and One Tree Hill. It also airs the Canadian series, Being Erica, which has found quite a following in the U.S., and it's unclear if its new season will air on SOAPnet or another American channel.

The network’s ratings peaked in 2008-2009 with a primetime average of 353,000 viewers. In the past three months, that average is now only 185,000, according to Ad Age. Clearly, the Walt Disney Co. is hoping the change will get higher ratings."

Another article in Ad Age here: http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/a-farewell-soapnet-home-time-shifted-soaps/233433/

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Ted, I was making a general comment. A lot of people are not aware that in some markets Comcast still has it in the lineup.

I know it will eventually be shut down here. That will not impact me at all since SoapNet is, to me, one of the useless channels I never watch.

In the short time Disney Junior has been available it has been watched by the 4 year old when she is at my house.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
flashina

I wonder what kind of ratings will the disney jr channel get between the 800pm- 700am hours.? kids are sleeping at that time...they say viewership is down,  guess it will go down even more now...  time will tell when soapnet goes off for good

New Visitor
Jensie8
I'm writing to complain about Comcast no longer airing SoapNet in Arlington, VA. No warning was given; the network suddenly disappeared the other day. It is one of my favorite channels and given how ridiculously expensive Comcast is, subscribers should at least be able to rely on Comcast not taking channels away from us for no reason. As for posters saying that ABC/Disney, not Comcast, is responsible for the change - that's a lie. While ABC did announce that SoapNet would be replaced by Disney Jr, that plan was delayed. We should at least be able to enjoy SoapNet before it goes off the air. I'm especially disappointed b/c SoapNet just started airing Veronica Mars reruns. if I had been advised of the change, I would have DVR ed them. Bad decision; bad customer service.
Contributor
MelloMommy

Comcast does offer a thing called a dvr that can record daytime programming and play it back at other times. 

Contributor
flashina

yes i could pay extra for dvr service, i could dvr the soaps, but the dvr is useless for anything else on soapnet because comcast isn't broadcasting the show. I refuse to pay for dvr service anyway, i pay enough already for the channels and high def..i agree they should broadcast the show till it's gone entirely, if it ever is...time will tell with that...the typical response is disney and abc cancelled the show .   Other providers still have soapnet and some have both disney jr and soapnet...they also say declining viewers is a reason for cancelling soapnet, i for one, has never been asked , or know of anyone else who has ever been asked about what shows i watch and i've been around along time..they also want to cater to a certain age group, i'm also a very good shopper, and certainly have more money to spend than a 21 yr old..   i'm sure there are less eyes watching disney jr at midnight,  they could at least share the channel...   the only thing that seems to be on tv anymore are talk and reality shows ( haven't they had their 15 minutes of fame yet) , so i look forward to watching the soaps , everyone has their own preferance...i have written to abc also, no response from them

New Visitor
kavin94

What happen to 120 soap network

I was wondering why i no longer have channel 120 soap network on my tv

Contributor
flashina

Re: SoapNet

I agree with you totally..i posted something similar myself

Visitor

How ironic that SoapNet is very much alive nearly a year later -- With no indications as to when Disney "may" cease SoapNet operations, if at all. Countless satellite consumers enjoy the network.

Perhaps even more ironic...Those who insulted others for arguing to the contrary, have locked most of the SoapNet discussion threads. Hmmm. 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

XfinityWatchDog wrote:

How ironic that SoapNet is very much alive nearly a year later -- With no indications as to when Disney "may" cease SoapNet operations, if at all. Countless satellite consumers enjoy the network.

Perhaps even more ironic...Those who insulted others for arguing to the contrary, have locked most of the SoapNet discussion threads. Hmmm. 

What I posted in this thread above and reposted below is still very much true.

"Very much alive" and "countless viewers" can certainly be argued with a network that has limited distribution and very limited eyeballs (recent average primetime viewership of 185,000 nationwide before SoapNet was switched out for Disney Junior on almost all video distribution platforms).

Disney/ABC has chosen to use shelf space for Disney Junior rather than for SoapNet. This is not a Comcast-specific issue. You don't have to agree with their decision but that's a decision that was made by Disney/ABC. I have provided a link to some Disney-ABC executives below.

Satellite providers still currently offer this network.

___________________________________________________________________________________

The bottomline is that ABC-Disney is eventually turning off SoapNet because of low viewership. The SoapNet viewership will be even lower now as it is many less households. ABC-Disney can get more eyeballs and make more advertising dollars from Disney Junior than they can from SoapNet.

The change was initiated and requested by ABC-Disney. 

Here is a link to a list of ABC/Disney executives that you may want to contact:

http://www.disneyabctv.com/division/index_executives.shtml 

SoapNet was in 75 million homes and (according to Ad Age) was only able to recently garner a primetime average of 185.000 viewers. Only a small number of "people" were watching it and ABC-Disney made a business decision. 

Some areas of our Central Division have elected to continue to offer both SoapNet and Disney Junior for a period of time.

Below article (March 22, 2012) from the Hollywood Reporter has some background on this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-junior-replaces-soapnet-friday-303366

excerpted below:

"But that doesn't mean SOAPnet will go away for all viewers. A Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson explains that it currently has carriage agreements with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Bright House Networks and Verizon for Disney Junior and those affiliates will also continue to carry SOAPnet.

"We view the launch of Disney Junior as a transition, not a flip of a switch," a Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter. "And as such SOAPnet will remain available for an undetermined period of time as deals are finalized with distributors."

SOAPnet has carried encore presentations of All My Children, General Hospital, One Life to Live, and The Young and the Restless, as well as the series Beverly Hills, 90210, Veronica Mars and One Tree Hill. It also airs the Canadian series, Being Erica, which has found quite a following in the U.S., and it's unclear if its new season will air on SOAPnet or another American channel.

Another article in Ad Age here: http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/a-farewell-soapnet-home-time-shifted-soaps/233433