New Visitor
JenVACaT

Just noticed that Soapnet was missing from my lineup. I've read previous boards on the topic, and I know that ABC is supposedly running a moving cancellation that began in March. What I'm wondering is that it's still been on my Comcast lineup (channel 120). I last watched it last weekend. Soapnet's website is still up and running and shows it's currently airing programming. If it's still airing programming, why is anyone missing the channel? Shouldn't it be gone when ABC officially cancels it and the network permanently removes the channel? Not when Comcast decides to ransomly remove it from different areas?

This is a PR disaster for both Comcast and ABC. I've read how upset people have been since Soapnet started disappearing from their lineups in March. Now, I am officially angry because I know that the shows I wait all week long to watch (Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls) are currently airing, and I can't watch them because Comcast made the decision to pull it in my area.

Final question, if Soapnet is still airing, whicj it is, can'y Comcast reinstate it until the day ABC pulls it from the air? I'm going to check Verizon Fios now to see if I can get the channel if I switch.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Soapnet

there are many posts on this right where you posted.    that answers all those questions.

some cable companies are keeping soapnet until its cancelled others have just done away with it and are airing disney jr and not paying for two channels.  I believe it is still on fios, but it will be gone for good shortly.

fyi the shows you mention are on netflix and maybe streampix

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

call abc/disney and complain they are they ones shutting down the network not comcast.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

JenVACaT wrote:

Just noticed that Soapnet was missing from my lineup. I've read previous boards on the topic, and I know that ABC is supposedly running a moving cancellation that began in March. What I'm wondering is that it's still been on my Comcast lineup (channel 120). I last watched it last weekend. Soapnet's website is still up and running and shows it's currently airing programming. If it's still airing programming, why is anyone missing the channel? Shouldn't it be gone when ABC officially cancels it and the network permanently removes the channel? Not when Comcast decides to ransomly remove it from different areas?

This is a PR disaster for both Comcast and ABC. I've read how upset people have been since Soapnet started disappearing from their lineups in March. Now, I am officially angry because I know that the shows I wait all week long to watch (Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls) are currently airing, and I can't watch them because Comcast made the decision to pull it in my area.

Final question, if Soapnet is still airing, whicj it is, can'y Comcast reinstate it until the day ABC pulls it from the air? I'm going to check Verizon Fios now to see if I can get the channel if I switch.

Not so much a "PR Disaster" when there was such low viewership overall.

The bottomline is that ABC-Disney is eventually turning off SoapNet because of low viewership. The SoapNet viewership will be even lower now as it is many less households. ABC-Disney can get more eyeballs and make more advertising dollars from Disney Junior than they can from SoapNet.

The change was initiated and requested by ABC-Disney. 

Here is a link to a list of ABC/Disney executives that you may want to contact:

http://www.disneyabctv.com/division/index_executives.shtml 

SoapNet was in 75 million homes and (according to Ad Age) was only able to recently garner a primetime average of 185.000 viewers. Only a small number of "people" were watching it and ABC-Disney made a business decision. 

The network’s ratings peaked in 2008-2009 with a primetime average of 353,000 viewers. In the past three months, that average is now only 185,000, according to Ad Age. Clearly, the Walt Disney Co. is hoping the change will get higher ratings."

Some areas of our Central Division have elected to continue to offer both SoapNet and Disney Junior for a period of time.

Below article (March 22) from the Hollywood Reporter has some background on this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-junior-replaces-soapnet-friday-303366

excerpted below:

"But that doesn't mean SOAPnet will go away for all viewers. A Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson explains that it currently has carriage agreements with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Bright House Networks and Verizon for Disney Junior and those affiliates will also continue to carry SOAPnet.

"We view the launch of Disney Junior as a transition, not a flip of a switch," a Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter. "And as such SOAPnet will remain available for an undetermined period of time as deals are finalized with distributors."

SOAPnet has carried encore presentations of All My Children, General Hospital, One Life to Live, and The Young and the Restless, as well as the series Beverly Hills, 90210, Veronica Mars and One Tree Hill. It also airs the Canadian series, Being Erica, which has found quite a following in the U.S., and it's unclear if its new season will air on SOAPnet or another American channel.

The network’s ratings peaked in 2008-2009 with a primetime average of 353,000 viewers. In the past three months, that average is now only 185,000, according to Ad Age. Clearly, the Walt Disney Co. is hoping the change will get higher ratings."

Another article in Ad Age here: http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/a-farewell-soapnet-home-time-shifted-soaps/233433/

New Visitor
dkgjn

so sad and very disapointed loved catching up with my GH ,OLTL , Y&R and days of our lives  :smileysad: I miss soapnet . I hope they bring it back .  I love u soapnet :smileyhappy: