Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Speed Channel

My sister, in Monroe, NJ, has ComCast and receives the Speed channel on her TV without a cable box.  My condo in Arizona (Cox) also gets Speed channel without a box.  But, in Montgomery County Maryland, I need to purchase a sports package and have a cable box to get the Speed Channel.

Why is Speed available in some markets without having to buy a package?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Speed Channel

Each Comcast area determines its own packages.
Regular Contributor

Thanks WarEagle
New Visitor
wtdjr

Speed was available in 2010; now it's gone. How come?

Contributor

I'll trade my free golf channel for Speed!  :smileylaugh:

New Visitor
chnsky545i

Agree, it is all about the $, anyway to make a buck they will find a way.

We need to buy the sports package just to get our speed channel, one way for comcast to make an extra $60 off me every year just for SPEED channel :-(

FYI: Speed Channel is included on all of the AT&T packages

Contributor

"FYI: Speed Channel is included on all of the AT&T packages" 

Yup, which is another reason I'm considering switching.

New Visitor
dada_neso

[ Edited ]

WoW

NO Speed channel on my lineup Digital Preferred + package in IL???

AT&T offers Speed included in any package.

Formula 1 season is getting in few days guys...

Come on Comcast:smileyshocked:

I will trade Golf and NHL for Speed right now.

Regular Contributor

Now that F1 races are really in HD, it certainly would be real nice to be able to watch them that way, especially since they are now letterboxing to show the program.

of course maybe comcast thinks people really only want to use 50% of their usable screen to watch the race.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Pretty much everyone that has completed the digital transition with Motorola equipment and has received the additional HD channesl has Speed Channel in HD.

The area's that are not complete yet, like ex Adelphia, Insight and the Scientific Atlanta equipped area's are due to get the additional HD's this year.  The SA area's and much of the Insight area's are well underway to get the addl HD's soon.

Regular Contributor

We've had the Mot set top boxes for quite a while, It's just not offered in our local lineup :smileysad:

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Please share your location.

Regular Contributor

bolton Mass

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

It looks like your system got the shaft since you have all the other WOM HD channels.  I've asked the Comcast admin for a official response.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speed HD is missing from the vast majority of Comcast systems in New England, Im in southern New Hampshire and I would pay for the sports pack if they added Speed HD for the Formula 1 season.

New Visitor
derf72

not offered in st lucie fla.either!

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

boltonblue wrote:

Now that F1 races are really in HD, it certainly would be real nice to be able to watch them that way, especially since they are now letterboxing to show the program.

of course maybe comcast thinks people really only want to use 50% of their usable screen to watch the race.

Hi there - I will have someone look into this and get back to you.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
New Visitor

Let me cast another vote for Speed HD ... in Lynchburg, VA. There are two sets of HD network channels (200's & 800's), so there must be room!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

dpritchett2450 wrote:

Let me cast another vote for Speed HD ... in Lynchburg, VA. There are two sets of HD network channels (200's & 800's), so there must be room!

A duplicate channel does not take up extra bandwidth -- the same frequency channel is simply mapped to two channel numbers by the box.

Regular Contributor

You are correct that a true duplicate channel does not take any additional bandwidth. but standard programming and HD are not duplicates.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Obviously.  :smileyconfused:

New Visitor
NickRichards

I recently switched from Directv.  Comcast apparently knows that customers like Speed Channel.  In my local area, Speed Channel HD is listed in the Digital Preferred listing on the internet as a channel offered with Digital Preferred.  But in fact, it requires the sports package.  Even more annoying is that almost all of the other channels in sports package are non HD versions of ones that are in the Digital Preferred.   I really hate paying extra $$ each month for one channel that I was under the impression I was going to get.  

Contributor

Any official response yet as to why Speed HD is missing from all Comcast systems in New England? The 2nd F1 race of the season was yesterday, Formula One  Racing only has the largest television viewing audience in the world, and now that it's in HD, its time to add Speed HD Comcast. You want to call yourself a leader in Sports, and have a separate Sports package then how about including some HD channels in that package?

New Visitor
john1200c

When I called Comcast they told me they have no plans to add Speed HD in my area (Massachusetts).  They added a ton of HD programming last year but not that one unfortunatly.....

New Visitor
DonC60

I used to have Verizon Fios Speed in HD was part of the standard HD Lineup

Now (boston) jave to pay extra to get it, and can't get it in HD

To me I think Comcast isn't offering Speed in HD is because it is owned by fox, and us the customers suffer

Contributor

What happened to Speed Channel?  It was the only reason I upgraded my programming!  It just vanished yesterday.

Regular Contributor

Fox killed off Speed. It is, . . . No More. 

it has now become fox sports.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

In March 2013 Fox, who owned Speed Channel, announced that Speed would cease to exist as a network in August 2013 and that it would be replaced by Fox Sports 1.

On August 17th, 2013 that change-over occurred.

DonC60 wrote:

I used to have Verizon Fios Speed in HD was part of the standard HD Lineup

Now (boston) jave to pay extra to get it, and can't get it in HD

To me I think Comcast isn't offering Speed in HD is because it is owned by fox, and us the customers suffer

Comcast and other tv providers have no control over this decision. For those who threaten to switch providers so they can continue to get Speed it will not do any good to switch. You won't find it anywhere.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.