Contributor
Accepted Solution

Standard Service vs. DIgital Starter - same price, what (besides HDTV) is different?

I currently have the Standard Service for 58.95 and no-charge Digital Adapters. Now that all of my TV's are digital and support high definition, I'm looking at the Digital Starter for the same price, but it is unclear if (a) I will get the same channels and (b) what additional charge there may be for a digital converter box. Can anyone tell more specifics about the differences, particularly if you moved from Standard Service to Digital Starter? I know I can ask Comcast, but I want to get actual users experiences first before I do. Thanks!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Standard Service vs. DIgital Starter - same price, what (besides HDTV) is differe

If you had expanded basic, and you went through the digital transition, you should have received one full SD set top box (like a DCH70 if your in a Motorola area) and up to two of the digital adapters.  That technically would make you into a digital starter subscriber, since in most area's the prices are the same for both expanded basic and digital starter.

Once you have your full set top box, you should be getting the advantages of digital starter like On Demand, PPV capability, and Music Choice.

Did you receive a full set top box when you went through the digital transition?

Of course, the truth is policies, procedures and prices vary widely in Comcast-Land, so what happens in one market area doesn't necessarily apply in other area's.  That's why calling will get you the proper details for your specific area.

Contributor

Re: Standard Service vs. DIgital Starter - same price, what (besides HDTV) is differe

Thanks for the answer. I am likely confused. I do have the things you mention. However, I guess what I am looking for is to get the channels in HD instead of standard broadcast. I *thought* Digital Starter was what I needed for that, but perhaps I need a higher level package?

Contributor

Just one more thing - my bill still says "Standard Service", that is one reason I thought I needed "Digital Starter" to get HD quality.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You need to add HD service to a digital starter tier, so you will need to replace your SD set top box with a HD one, and at that time Comcast will setup your account to be digital starter and add HD service.

If you have any of those digial adapters, those will not tune in or receive HD, HDTV's with DTA's would need to upgrade to a full HD boxes at a additonal monthly fee, usually betweek 7.95 to 9.25 a month each.

In many area's adding HD is 7.95 a month.  In many area's with the new pricing, that one HD charge  covers all full HD set top boxes.  There are still some area's with the old pricing which each HD box is more than a SD box.

More questions, please ask.

Contributor

Great info, this has been very helpful. Thanks!

New Visitor
Curt2012

I may switch to Digital Starter plan to save close to $50 per month. The difference in stations isn't a big deal. The slower internet speed is an issue....has anyone shifted from a preferred plan to digital starter and if so, is the degraded service significant? Thanks. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I did this as well some time back.  No change in the internet speed it is still the same unless you have something like Blast (30mbp's) or the extreme higher speeds you can pay more for I kept the performance internet to get up to 20mbp, and only changed my tv to the starter under a doubleplay package it is - so if you tell them you don't want to change your internet just the tv package/lineup then your speed on internet will stay as it is.  I do notice at times if we are both on the puter with many pages open and the other playing game (eve online specifically) it will get a little slow in response but I am not even sure if that is the isp and bandwidth can't handle all of it for us or if its our own processors. It would be sweet to have blast or the extreme speed (i am impatient when using internet - wish google fiber could get to us) but alas it's too hard to afford at this time.  They did just pull the weather channel out from under us in the digital starter tho and that really stinks especially at the start of tornado season here but other than once in awhile when I see a good show or movie I want to watch I don't miss all those other channels from preferred.