Bronze Star Contributor
grday

Still have analog cable, suppose to go off after Aug 3, 2011.

[ Edited ]

Still have analog cable, suppose to go off after Aug 3, 2011.   I wonder when or if it will go off.   My area according to the letters I got  they are removing all the analog channels for limited basic.   You will need a dta, box or a qam tv to keep receive the limited basic lineup.     I think I heard the following on the news,   not sure what cable company.  That this one person is suing the cable company for requiring a box or dta for limited basic service.  

Yes,  I already have the dtas,  they are activated and hooked up.  There is one tv on analog.

Bronze Star Contributor
demomanMLS

Re: Still have analog cable, suppose to go off after Aug 3, 2011.

The OTA channels will still be available via analog due to FCC regulations.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Cool. Will have to remember that. The local office told me that plans are for the Minneapolis system to stop sending out the analog signal sometime in the future. No date known.

Time will tell

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

demomanMls If that is really the case,  there are going to have to redo are channel line up & ask for the dtas back.   The dtas bring in over the air subchannels.

Here is my line up for limited service.   Bold is over the air.  Italic is channels that are available on analog cable ready tv.

2    WIPB-SD (PBS) This channel requires a dta or a box.
3    Commercial Ads
4    WTTV -4 (CW)  
5    WIPX -63 (ION)
6    WRTV -6 (ABC)
8    WISH -8 (CBS)
9    WHMB -40 (IND)
10    WNDY - 23 (My Network)
11    WXIN -11 (FOX)
12    WTHR -13 (NBC)
14    C-SPAN
16    QVC
17     TBN
19    HSN
20    WFYI -20 (PBS)
21    LOCACC1
22    WGN America
89    ShopNBC
96    Info
110    Antenna TV
114    WFYI -DT Create (PBS)
115    WGN America
213    WIPB-Create (PBS)
240    QVC
241    HSN
242    ShopNBC
277    TBN
295    WDTI-DT
353    UNIVISION (SPANISH)-Not sure if OTA
354    WFYI - VME (PBS)
420    WRTV-DT News
424    WTTV-THIS
432    WISH-DT Local Weather
433    WTHR-DT Weather
434    WIPB Weather
445    C-SPAN
446    C-SPAN 2
510    WTHR Universal Sports
807    WNDY-theCoolTV
Music channels require a box

Bronze Star Contributor
demomanMLS

[ Edited ]

The DTAs are meant for expanded basic along with OTA subchannels on the Comcast system. Limited basic for the most part will still have the main OTAs available via analog. Subchannels are not included on the analog system.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

[ Edited ]

demomanMls,  You missed my first post or didn't read it correctly.   I will reword my post for you.   I got letters saying I will need a DTA,  BOX or A QAM tv to keep receiving limited service channels.   I order 3 dtas, they are all working and showing the channels listed in another post.  The 3 dtas are free.   It showing on my bill as free.   The letter said Analog would go off on Aug 3, 2011.  It has not yet.

The DTA are not meant for just expanded service.   There are areas were Comcast will require a dta, box or qam tv for limited service.   Qam tv is even questionable but that not the point of this thread.

I got tons of reminders that I would need a box or dta to keep receiving limited service channels but they have not shut off the analog yet.   Those channel I listed in another thread is my limited service package.   If I got a box,  it  would also included the music choice channel and one ppv channel.

My point is you get tons of notice, to get the equipment.  Then they don't turn it off after Aug 3, 2011.   Your answers don't really apply in my situation.  

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

commanguy.   It suppose to be when you get the letter.    Even though I got the letter, saying I would lose my limited service analog channels after Aug 3, 2011.   They have not been turned them off yet.   They might be waiting on people who do things at the last minute.  So it could be another week.  I didn't think my area would have that many people on limited service package. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You should know by now that most notices are for a "on or after" date, nothing is set in stone as far as Comcast and dates.

Bronze Star Contributor
demomanMLS

[ Edited ]

Normally channels 1-22ish are left running on the analog side when the transition happens. Anything above requires the digital box. Not to mention FCC requirements state that the local OTA analogs have to be left running until 2012. If Comcast is removing them from you now then they are violating FCC requirements.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

demomanMLS wrote: ... If Comcast is removing them from you now then they are violating FCC requirements.

Better start writing them a ticket then. The 17401 service area has no analog service left. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Been all digital since May.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

[ Edited ]

It just makes us mad.   They send you tons of notices, then don't turn of the analog.  I might of waited on ordering.   As far as the analog requirement for local over the air broadcast station,  I thought that ended in March 2011.   If it is still not off by Sept 1, 2011.   I am going to get an  A&B switch.  So, I can record easier.  I am still getting the analog signal.   I wonder if they are removing removing just the wgn, hsn, qvc, cspan,locacc1, areaicn analog channels but leaving the rest on.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

grday wrote: ... They send you tons of notices, then don't turn of the analog. ...

They will. In our system it took about 2 months to turn everything off. They switched off a bunch of channels, and then a few weeks later a bunch more, until all the analogs were gone.

I wonder if they are removing just the wgn, hsn, qvc, cspan,locacc1, areaicn analog channels but leaving the rest on.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to find this out except to wait and see what they do and when they do it. The few predictions I was able to get out of the local office turned out to be mostly wrong. Good luck!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

so why don't you just order the free dta's and then sit and wait with your regular service until they do switch it and then hook them up.  What is all the complaining about?   Yes its coming, its going to happen around this date, so call get your free dta's and when it does happen then hook them up. 

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

rog286713 reread the thread.     Are compliant is they didn't turn off the Analog after Aug 3, 2011 when we got the DTAS very early.   Even after we got the equipment,  we still got reminder notices that it would no longer be available after Aug 3, 2011.     The dtas are activated,  I have a  tv that is hooked up differently until analog goes off the air.     It is to complicated to explain how I got the cable hooked up.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

grday wrote: ... compliant is they didn't turn off the Analog after Aug 3 ...

Maybe more customers than Comcast expected still haven't ordered the necessary equipment? Maybe a supplier wasn't able to keep up with demand? Maybe they forgot to check the vacation roster and a key employee is out for the next two weeks? There are lots of possibilities for the delay. What I always find frustrating is that SOMEONE in Comcast knows the reason, but the chances of a mere customer locating that someone are essentially zero.

... Even after we got the equipment,  we still got reminder notices ...

Although it seems stupid to you and me that Comcast would waste money sending conversion notices to customers who have already converted, in fairness they probably want to do everything possible to make sure that customers know what's coming.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

To All,

They did the switch overnight or early this morning  Aug 08/Aug09 2011.    All channels including over the air broadcast stations.   All tvs are now on DTA with an odd hook up.  So, I can record an watch a different program at the same time.