New Visitor
mpls55414

Taking away Turner Classic Movies - C'mon Comcast!

Just read in my local newspaper that Comcast is moving Turner Classic Movies to a higher tier (at $20/month more than I'm currently paying). Moving AMC to a higher tier was bad enough, now you're taking away the only other classic movie channel. Twenty dollars a month is too much! I am very disappointed and am actively researching my options (DISH Network and DirectTV). Undo this rotten decision!

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Taking away Turner Classic Movies - C'mon Comcast!

[ Edited ]

Did they list any other channels in the aritcle?

I am on the same system, outside the metro area and have seen nothing about this yet. Read about it on the forums. Some areas are also losing CMT which is also being moved to Digital Preferred.

Update

Found the article online. Didn't mention they also pulled other channels when they moved AMC to Preferred.

And for subscribers on the Minneapolis system not in the metro area we don't even get all the channels on Limited Basic that you guys do.

New Visitor
cannb

I no longer get CMT.  It is one of my favorite channels.. We pay the same but get less.  Doesn't seem right.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

As always, it's about $$$. By me, TCM is not only part of Starter, it's still available on analog! That said, BBC America was recently moved down from Preferred to Starter, so maybe TCM may eventually be moved up to compensate.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

andyross

I don't know about your market but in Mpls. they include Investigation Discovery in Digital Starter. They moved BBCAmerica from Preferred also.

It would be nice to maybe move ID or something and keep TCM on Starter. But the article referenced earlier speculated that Comcast moved TCM to annoy Time Warner.

Of course in Feb. we get the rate increases on some of the services including Starter, expected with the addition of BBCAmerica.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

We had ID added recently, too. TCM has no commercials and may be somewhat 'expensive' to carry. As always, it's about how much Comcast has to pay to carry TCM versus how much it costs for other channels.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I figured it was carriage cost but it would be nice if Comcast owned up to the customers about this. Even DirectTV and Fox in their battles in the past at least admitted it all came down to money. Good God..does Comcast forget the economy still is not the best and this disregard for the paying customer just getting the notices that we are moving channels around without at least some reason why.

I laugh when I see Comcast titled a Communication Company when you look up information about them. That is one of the things they do not do very good.

New Visitor
mnwriter

I just turned my TV on and no Turner Classic Movies! Unacceptable, ComCast! :smileyangry:

New Visitor
TCM_is_gone

I've been a customer for 10 years - to find TCM's channel deleted today was the last straw -unbelievable!:manfrustrated:

Visitor

That's it.....TCM was the only channel left on amongst all the programming crud that is on the air now.  I have ONLY paid for Comcast because we have so many TV's in our household.  I'm done....$200.00 per month for 15 years....stick it.  Dish and DirectTV are offering bundles to accomodate 5 plus locations and that is enough for me at this point.  To now charge for TCM.....the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. BYE!  P.S., All the increasing seconds of online commercial time you now sell just so some schlub like me can get to view a posted video off your home page.....you can  guarantee "opens" and click throughs to all your advertisers all you want......I'm done on that end to.

New Visitor
mikenk

Missing channels

Raising prices AND eliminating channels (TCM). I no longer wonder how satelite networks and Xcel stay in business.

A new low in customer service.

New Visitor
heja

Re: Missing channels

Saw the price increases, did we all lose TCM today????That is really an issue in our house!

Visitor
rlawler321

TCM removal

I see you removed TCM.  I'll never get over how Comcast just keeps screwing there customers over and over through the years.  But I guess thats what a monopoly does.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Re: TCM removal

You answered yourself.  Welcome to the world of big business..

New Visitor

i agree w/ most users. I 'signed' a two yr contract for a bundle of services. Seems illegal to change the terms of the agreement; though it is probably somewhere in the 5 pages of fine print that gives them the right to bend you over. Oh well, i'll remember this when it's time to re-up.

New Visitor

I agree this is UNACCEPTABLE and also switching from Comcast to a different service, TCM is my favorite channel

New Visitor

The new setting in denver suburbs is 501 or 767.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

it got moved to a higher tier.

here is the actual thread that discusses it

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Taking-away-Turner-Classic-Movies-C-mon-Comcas...

New Visitor

Tcm gone!!!

So unhappy about TCM being gone on digital starter!!! Now I have to pay $10 more a month to have TCM on One TV when I had it on ALL of them before!!! I have put up with rising costs from Comcast for years and this is my reward for years of buying your services!!! I am soooo upset!!! I will be looking at what the competition can do about this! I don't want to leave Comcast but I feel like they are trying to push the limit with exploiting their customers and I am fed up!!!!!!!!!!!
New Visitor
tom-in-parker

Re: Tcm gone!!!

I agree this is the last straw. I have been wondering how to get my monthly bill down. I am going to switch to someone else. I have paid close to $200 a month for a long time. TCM is my favorite. I only stayed with them because of the number of TV's I have connected.

New Visitor
MevTechMan

Thank you Comcast for helping me make my decision to move to DirectTV.   TCM was one of the few channels in the lineup that I watched.  I understand that TCM probably raised the carriage rate and you felt it necessary to get more money out of the subscribers to cover it but I've made a decision too; get TCM back plus other channels you don't carry and save $20+ a month instead of paying an extra $20 a month.  Farewell.

New Visitor
esrigs

If this does not get fixed we will be moving to direct TV and Vontage for phone.

New Visitor
StPaulMN

I have the HD preferred XF plan, which should still include TCM.  However, our two digital to analog converter boxes no longer have TCM. I called them today, we would need to replace our two converter boxes and pay 8 bucks a month each. For a total of $16 a month just to get TCM. They state that you should be able to get TCM if you have anything above the starter package. This is not the case. 

New Visitor
dannobob

I am extremely unhappy that TCM has been moved to a higher tier.  I'm seriously looking at switching to satellite tv and getting rid of Comcast for good.  I agree with all those who voted them the worst company out there.

New Visitor
twodogs123

Re: Taking away Turner Classic Movies

[ Edited ]

Turner Classic Movies, one of the few channels left worth watching, is now gone from my channel lineup and this is the last straw for me. As a long-time and loyal customer, I strongly urge Comcast to undo this action very soon, or I will join others who are looking to move to a different provider.

New Visitor
pharaohtut

Well, Well, you just PO'd another customer. TCM was one of my favorite channels. Since you seem to think you can take a popular program and move it up to a higher level and that all us cattle will just go along and purchase at the higher price, you are sadly mistaken. Unless you reverse this crass attempt to squeeze more money out of this cow, this cow will have to look for another pasture.

Visitor
LolaFilana

:smileyangry: Finally was able to get my cable bill lowered just a bit, then found out today that in order to get TCM in our bedroom, we have to pay extra for a digital box since it is no longer offered on the basic lieup.  This is the single most watched channel in our household and it part of our package that we pay for, but now to get it on more than 1 television, we have to pay for it.  DirectTV is calling my name. :smileyangry:

New Visitor
whatthe100

Only reason i've continued to subscribe to cable tv is TCM, but the price is already too high for digital starter & I'm certainly not paying an additional $20/month. I hope Comcast loses lots of $$ from those of us who refuse to give them our business after this last insult. 

Regular Contributor

R.I.P. TCM.  04/14/1994 - 01/05/2012.

New Visitor
pmoor

Taking away TCM is the final straw for me, I will be canceling my Comcast TV. I laugh everytime I see one of those Comcast ads on TV that say how they care about their customers, what a joke !

New Visitor
Kizmo

I wouldn't mind if Comcast didn't give us new channels in the lower service levels but it seems grossly unfair to take away channels especially popular ones like TCM. I chose Comcast based on the channels they were providing and if they are not going to live up to their end of the agreement maybe it is time I switch my phone back to Qwest and start looking for other internet and TV providers.

New Visitor
Kizmo

I agree with laughing at the ad. Perhaps we should accuse them of false advertising

New Visitor
rockysvoice

Very, very disappointed to not have TCM anymore in basic ....  it is my favorite channel! Please re-think this Comcast!

New Visitor
MelMN

No TCM! Comcast is pushing the limit. TCM is one of the FEW channels that I can watch with my kids. I DO NOT want to pay 10 more a month for 1 channel. I will be exploring other TV & internet options. Just UPGRADED to Digital TV to have one of the few channels I actually watch eliminated! Poorly done Comcast.

New Visitor

Typical Comcast BS

New Visitor

Thank God for the Forums.. The website has no info about the change, customer support on the phone , after 20 min's of automated $#!?, the person had no clue. They ran me thru the full unplug your box scenario.... I am quite impressed with this level of service and support.

New Visitor
blutrane

I'm planning to move within the next few months.  I sincerely hope that I am not forced to take Comcast as a cable provider. TCM was my one and only movie channel. Comcast taking away TCM because they could do so with impunity has soured me with this company for good. Sometimes it shouldn't be just about the $$$ Comcast.  Sometimes it shouls be about giving loyal customers wha they want.  ARE YOU LISTENING COMCAST!

New Visitor
DawninDenver

Add me to the unhappy customers about TCM leaving the basic expanded package. I'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms :smileysad:

Visitor
selftal1

I have noticed that I'm now missing TCM.  I called and got a recording that said TCM moved to a higher price bracket of service.  I actually have TCM on the main box but they took it off the two extended boxes and that's where I watch it at night.  Comcast must have found out that a lot of people watch that channel and figured out a way to make more money with it.  We'll it won't work in my case!  Comcast also just had a rate increase also.  I'm sick of Comcast nickel and dimeing me.  I'm on the phone to Direct TV right now.  www.directtv.com  1-888-777-2454.  I'd even be willing to pay more in total to get away from Comcast! 

Visitor
LolaFilana

Calling now.

New Visitor
Pumphouse

I lost TCM last night.  I recently downgraded to Triple Play with Digital Starter to save money - I wasn't using most of the channels.  But I do like TCM.   Harder and harder to stay with Comcast.  

- Disgruntled in Brooklyn Park.

Contributor

What demographic group watches TCM, you morons!!!!  Retired people like my wife and I.  My wife watches TCM DAILY...........we are not paying extra for it!  This is definately unacceptable.  As soon as we can we are switching to Direct TV.  THIS is the last straw!!!  My wife's cousin works for Comcast and she is upset also.

Ridiculous............start a comcast boycott

Eagan, MN

Visitor
selftal1

[ Edited ]

Same demographic here.  Great point about retirees! TCM is one of the few channels I watch.  I agree on the boycott of Comcast.  The only way these companies understand is for customers to act with their money.  I just did and signed up for Direct TV.  Installation is Tuesday.

Contributor

Keep calling and keep sending E-mails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
mq293

Its quite simple.  There over 150 channels I don't watch.  Take them away.  Dish Network has Turner Classic movies at a reasonable price.  I'll Make decision in next day or so.  Take $1000 away from comcast  X  500,000 customers, maybe Comcast gets the message.   The Dish price is $53 for thje first year.

Contributor

Must be to many people calling Direct TV...........wait is longggggggggggg.  See what you did Comcast???

New Visitor

I turned on my tv and found that TCM was no longer available. It's about the only channel on their line-up that I watch continually. Everything else can be had over the internet. I plan to cancel my subscription after some 20 plus years. Comcast sucks. I hope enough people cancel their subscriptions, similar to what happened to Netflix when they screwed with the customers. Do everything you can to spread the word to boycott Comcast.

New Visitor

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I hope everyone tells them to stick it. Enough is enough!

New Visitor
Alterr

where's tcm?

I can not get Turner Classic Movies on my TV

New Visitor
cobobbles

Add me to the list of seriously irate customers about losing TCM!  I could honestly live without 90% of the channels I'm paying for and TCM was one the channels I watch(ed) the most because I love old movies.  BBCAmerica is nice but it's not a reasonable substitute for TCM.  

This is a seriously bush league move by Comcast.  I was reluctant to sign up a couple of months ago because Comcast has such a lousy rep but I went ahead and did it because TCM was one of the channels I really enjoyed but it didn't take long for Comcast to disappoint me.:smileysad: