New Visitor
glennmckee67

The Weather Channel -- local forecast??!

I would like to know what happened to my local Peterborough (NH) area forecast on The Weather Channel?  Since these are chosen and broadcast by the cable carrier, I am addressing Comcast with this issue.  All of a sudden I am getting Fitchburg and Gardner, MA, both scrolling at the bottom and for my Local on the 8's.  I live nowhere near Fitchburg or Gardner!! 

New Visitor
kenred

Re: The Weather Channel -- local forecast??!

We are having the same problem in Kensington, NH.  Our local area is Portsmouth, but that changed this week to Essex Co, MA. Bring back the Portsmouth local forecast!!

Visitor

Same problem here.  Winchester NH.  Used to get Brattleboro and the surrounding towns would scroll at the bottom.  Now it is picking up Putney VT and Claremont.  What the heck??!!  Bring back the local, Claremont is NOT local.  Why did you change this Comcast?  

New Visitor

Ditto - I bravely called Comcast this morning and after 20 minutes on the phone - they still didn't understand the issue!  Obviously they don't watch the Weather Channel at all - they didn't seem to understand it's not the box or the menus - it's what is being *broadcast* that's the problem.  The person on the phone talked to her supervisor who recommended "unplug the cable box and plug it back in"!  Did that, sent a "refresh signal" to the box, too.  Still wrong forecast.  This started on Thursday morning! 

Oh, wait, the unplug/refresh may have done one thing - instead of Essex County, I now have Newburyport, MA!  Still not my local forecast and still NOT an issue on the customer end of things.  Someone in a Comcast office has done something - or can't read maps!

Right now, I give up.  Guess I won't be able to see my local weather without going to the Weather Channel website or phone app.  Used to be I could just sit in my chair with the Weather Channel on and it would come right to me on the 8s.  I'm not calling Comcast again - I don't want to spend another 20 minutes trying to get them to understand the issue if they don't watch said broadcast and their techs & supervisors don't have access to a tv so they can watch said channel and know what customers are talking about.

I do appreciate people posting - this rather confirms it's not a *customer* issue, it's on the Comcast side of things.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

New Visitor
kristinemcd

Same problem in Hanover, NH.  As of a few days ago our 'local on the 8s' is now centered on Putney, VT - and Hanover is barely visible off the top of the screen.  How can we fix this?

New Visitor
Spydee16

Local on the 8's on weather channel

Comcast was working on the internet in my apt building yesterday and since then, I get another town's "Local on the 8's" weather on the weather channel.  There is no place for me to change any settings to change this.  Anyone else ever have this problem??

Visitor
Rodeo346

OMG!!!! ME TOO!!!! I live in Loudon, NH and for over a week now, my "LOCAL ON THE 8'S" has been PUTNEY, VT?!?!?
Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

Thanks all for sharing your feedback here.

I have shared this thread directly with our local and national teams that are overseeing these changes as well as with The Weather Channel who are also very much involved in these modifications. 

For background, these recent changes are due to the the addition of new (and additional) equipment required to deliver and support "Weather on the 8's" on the Weather Channel HD (which is new to this geographical area of Comcast).   

All of the recent Weather Channel consolidations were reviewed by our local and regional teams and also by The Weather Channel meteorological staff.  In most all cases the local coverage area became larger.

Comcast and The Weather Channel will continue to review these changes. We have already made additional modifications and reversed some initial coverage areas based on local feedback like this.

Thanks again for your feedback. 

Regarding Brattleboro - I am told that this weather zone has not been changed. 

Visitor

So, we really did used to have "local" weather.  Then it changed to Putney VT, and Claremont NH.  (Are you kidding me?).

This morning, my local on the 8's was the entire country.  Scolling on the bottom was somewhere in the mid-west (like that pertains to me) and some other ridiculous city that never came close to south east NH. 

Can't I have local weather anymore?

New Visitor
Spydee16

I did get my internet back today,thanks Comcast but I hope you go back to "Local on the *'s" according to zipcodes.

New Visitor

Local on the 8s in Naples FL is no longer local at all! We are getting national headlines, NE/SE/CE/PAC radars and accompanying major city forecasts during the LOT8 segments. During prigrms the bottom ribbon gives major city forecasts, the closest to us being Miami. When can we expect some semblance of local weather forecasts to return? Before next hurricane season, maybe?
New Visitor

So why are we not getting my local forecast even on the Local Weather section of your Comcast menu?  That's the same area forecast as the Weather Channel is showing - at least it appears the same - the local weather section of the Comcast menu does not show a location at all so it's almost impossible to tell.  I assume it's part of the same consolidation?

Also, can you pass this information on to the folks answering the calls?  As I said earlier, I'd called customer service and after 20 minutes of trying to explain what happened, I was told that if I unplugged the box and let it reset, that might solve the issue. (It didn't.  Neither did a "reset" signal.)  I'd hate for someone else to have to struggle through that process - and the customer service rep was trying her hardest to help me but it was obvious she did not have this information handy to explain to customers calling in.

New Visitor
upsetinconcord

What is going on with Putney Vt. as my local weateher 60 plus miles away in Concord NH. I called comcast their answer was the Weather Channel programing has changed ...DAAAA

Give me back my local Weather in Concord NH 03301!

New Visitor
papi51855

At least you are getting some local weather news.  Here in Shreveport, LA., the tickler at the bottom of the screen has been frozen for over a week and it reads that the temperature "eels like 2*". It's completely frustrating not being able to see what's going on outside.  We just had a tornado an hour away in Monroe yesterday and we didn't get any announcement locally.  Please, bring our LOCAL LOT8 back!!  We had the same problem three weeks ago and was resolved, but only for a few days. How about doing something for us, the subscribers, this time?

Contributor

TWC on Comcast Bloomington Indiana has been frozen on a picture of a tiger cub since 1:15 yesterday -- I know that because there's a Local Forecast timestamp on the screen.  It's the same on both the low-end and high-end channels.

Contributor

Well, the tiger cub went away a couple hours ago, so we can now see LOT8s and the regular programming -- but there's no sound.  That's not necessarily a bad thing :smileyhappy:

Contributor

Still no sound today -- except for the commercials!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

grover78 wrote: Still no sound today -- except for the commercials!

If you're using one of the very small digital adapter (DTA) boxes, try pressing the LANG language select button on the adapter remote. Otherwise please post the brand and model number of your set top box or DVR.

Contributor

You'll have to explain to me how the set-top box could single out one specific channel to 1) freeze the picture, then 2) unfreeze the picture but have no audio, then 3) have audio during commercials but not during programming, when no other channel is impacted.  Granted, when I press the LANG button on TWC, it displays SWE, when all the other channels show either ENG or ENG/SPA.  Note that a few weeks ago, TWC had no picture or audio at all, and no Comcast message about connecting shortly or unable to connect.

Contributor

Audio service was fully restored around 9:20 EST this morning.

New Visitor
Paulinconcord

Actually, here in Concord, NH, the local on the 8s forecast is not new is not new--we have had it for many years with a Concord-specific forecast. It is only within the last couple of weeks that we have been subject to forecasts for the mysterious "Putney."

New Visitor
kmcy

Has anyone had the problem corrected? I am also in Hanover, NH and we are now getting weather from Putney, VT... which can be very different from Hanover. I have the transcript from an online chat with a Comcast representative who said the problem would be fixed within 24-72hrs. That was a week ago. 

Regular Problem Solver

For the people who are getting the correct location...

I find it annoying when I go to the Weather Channel and have to wait for the local weather to be shown. Check out the Weather Channel's other channel called Weatherscan. It provides more local weather information than the regular Weather Channel.

New Visitor

In HIllsborough - now getting Putney. Answer was TWC consolidated channels to appropriate geographic areas. How can it be appropriate if Putney's low tonight (according to TWC) is supposed to be -6, and my area (according to WMUR is supposed to be -20? Guess it isn't Comcast's fault but it did take me over 30 minutes on phone for the rep to find the email bulletin.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

ComcastTEDS - No, the Weather on the 8's has been part of this area for over 20 years. I'm in southcentral NH and you give me Vermont? MA would be better (marginally), just because I work in MS anyway so it MIGHT come in usefull.

New Visitor
ropedrum

For at least 3 weeks, Huntsville, AL hasn't been getting any local coverage. At least we aren't getting "local" reports from other cities. We've been getting the regional America report on the 8s.

Neighbors, on Knology, are getting the proper TWC coverage; but none of us on Comcast are getting it.

Regular Problem Solver

--------------------------------------------------------------
ropedrum wrote:
For at least 3 weeks, Huntsville, AL hasn't been getting any local coverage. At least we aren't getting "local" reports from other cities. We've been getting the regional America report on the 8s.

Neighbors, on Knology, are getting the proper TWC coverage; but none of us on Comcast are getting it.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I also live in Huntsville. I get the following channels:

25 The Weather Channel
101 Weatherscan
1101 The Weather Channel HD

I normally look at Weatherscan for local weather. I like it better since it shows the local weather constantly. I guess I am too impatient to wait for reports on the 8s.

I haven't had any problems with seeing Huntsville's weather on Weatherscan. In fact I just checked Weatherscan on Jan 6 at 1am. It's showing Huntsville's weather right now. Have you checked Weatherscan?

New Visitor
ropedrum

Yes, RADAR on 101 is a constant radar, with the NWS broadcast.

I prefer TWC.

I did discover that the SD broadcast (25) has the local weather;

however, the HD broadcast (1101) does not.

I'd like my weather in HD, please.

Thanks Ed.

New Visitor

In Williamsport, Pa. The SD Weather Channel is local, but the HD channel is nation wide. How do I get the local version on HD channel 815?

Thanks,

Regular Problem Solver

----------------------------------------------
ropedrum wrote:
I did discover that the SD broadcast (25) has the local weather;
however, the HD broadcast (1101) does not.
----------------------------------------------

When I checked last night I did not see any difference. I have a tuner on my computer so I have been swtching back and forth between channels 25 and 1101. I see what you are talking about now.

TWC and TWC-HD do have the same main programming. However they have different commercials and different weather feeds at the bottom. TWC has a local weather feed while TWC-HD has a national weather feed. How annoying.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

kolbnetworks wrote: ... How do I get the local version on HD channel 815? ...

You persuade Comcast to spend the money to add local weather to the HD feed. Good luck with that.

New Visitor
beckye

weather channel

I live in Enfield NH.  Originally the weather channel forecasts I received were for Lebanon, NH. That's the town next to me.  Then this changed so that the forecasts were for Claremont, NH.  Claremont is 30 miles away.  Now it has changed to Putney, VT.  Putney is 70 miles away and the forecast is less useful for me - the weather there is often rather different.  Essentially this has made the weather channel forecasts useless to me, I now have to rely on other sources for this information.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

BruceW wrote:

kolbnetworks wrote: ... How do I get the local version on HD channel 815? ...

You persuade Comcast to spend the money to add local weather to the HD feed. Good luck with that.

Comcast is actually doing just that, see Message #9 from me above, excerpted below

"For background, these recent changes are due to the the addition of new (and additional) equipment required to deliver and support "Weather on the 8's" on the Weather Channel HD (which is new to this geographical area of Comcast). "  

Contributor

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I thought the problem with the weather channel in my area was fixed but we have now gone back to the same problem. I live in Mchenry County, Illinois 60097 and when the LOT8's comes on the announcer is cut off just before he finishes and then again, you can here either the meteorologists talking in the background or a commercial running for the rest of the local forecast.This originally had gotton so bad that I was only seeing about half of the local, then a commercial, then the rest of the local, all with lots of talking in the background. I  would think with all the technology available this could have been fixed by now. This has been going on for several months. and other folks in my area are having the same problem.When will this get corrected? If some one can provide a weather channel contact address I will contact them too.

New Visitor
JBENNETT_90

For Comcast:  Feel free to follow along with DirectTV's decision to drop the Weather Channel from your lineup.  The channel has really morphed into a tabloid weather drama network, and the reduction in local services (for whatever reason) has essentially rendered them useless in my mind. 

Contributor

A friend of mine said the same thing the other day. I would agree the Weather channel is following in the footsteps of much of the other "reality" shows. I don't want to see THAT much reality. And then there is  the biography channel who is now running programs from the food channel. Really!!!

New Visitor
martydnh

How long does it take to fix the WRONG Local weather information? This Pitney, VT problem has been going on for weeks now.  It is interesting how the Weather Channel is trying to stay on satellite and say they provide necessary local weather for safety when they ACTUALLY DO NOT ---- I support satellite in getting rid of the Weather Channel. Any tech person could fix this problem very quickly if they wanted to.  --- Again it goes to show that big business does not care really care about their customers, just lip service saying they do. This goes for both the Weather Channel and Comcast.

New Visitor
tae00

Just wanted to add my concern with your changing "local on the 8's".

I live in chambersburg, pa and you have changed our "local" to Carlisle - that is 40 miles away and there are significant differences in weather between here and there.

According to the weather channel this is on Comcast - not them.  Do i understand your explanation -  you got new equipment and this resulted is reducing your service?  Unfortunately you indicated that Comcast local and regional folks all bought into this.

Guess it is just another chip in the decision to stay with comcast or go with dish or direct or other tv service options.

New Visitor
dawthr

Re: The Weather Channel's Local on the 8's

Hi. We are in Charlottesville, VA. Since the Weather Channel changed its new look we have been unable to get the local on the 8's in our apartment. However, when we go to the gym, which is steps away) we see the local on the 8's being shown there! Our channel is #27, but then switches to 815HD. Is there something we aren't doing or is it Comcast and/or the Weather Channel? We get everyone elses weather on the now local on the 8's! Richmond, Va, which is over an hour away, is the closest to local we can get, and as everyone knows, one area's weather can be so different even just one hour away! We miss it and want it back! Thanks for your feedback!

New Visitor
AngelQue

The Weather Channel is based out of Georgia.  Therefore, unless you live in Georgia, they pretty much don't know squat about your local weather.  I'm near Chicago, Illinois and for the past six years or so, the weather forcast for my area as shown on The Weather Channel (yes, even the local on the 8's) has been completely WRONG.  EVERY SINGLE TIME. I've found that the most reliable, accurate weather forecast can be found on the NOAA website (NOAA.ORG).  In the upper left-hand corner of the home page, type in your zip code and voila! Accurate weather forecast.

Visitor
byteme001

[ Edited ]

My local on the 8's changed suddenly 5 days ago and now gives me weather that is an hour east of me. We rarely if ever have the same weather as Bensalem PA here in Quakertown PA. I thought it was some kind of glitch but after 3 days I contacted Comcast via web-chat. They said they were turning it over to someone else and I got a "ticket number". It's been a couple days and I am still getting Bensalem's weather. I just came on line now to see if I could search and see if anyone else is having this problem and I was blown away by all the people here from all over the country with the same problem, sometimes even worse!!! If this is a Comcast forum, why hasn't anyone from Comcast addressed this issue and fixed it by now. C'mon, you mean to say there is no tech at Comcast that can't give us our weather according to zip code???? 

While I'm here, I want to add that I agree with the sentiments expressed here about the weather channel in general. I used to enjoy turning the weather on in the morning and listening not only to my local on the 8's but also what kind of weather was going on all over the country and what might be headed our way. Since the new morning program began, AMHQ, it's a chat-fest rather than meteorology! I really find the program very annoying, and pretty much turned it off once I saw my local weather. Now that I can't get my local weather, what's the point in watching?!

So Comcast, when can I get MY LOCAL weather??

Recognized Contributor
psdstu

I think the lack of a response by Comcast here tells you all you need to know.......the chances of you getting your old "locals on the 8" back is pretty slim.....just saying...

Visitor

Re: Weather Channel Wrong Local on the 8's.

The same is going on here in Toms River, NJ (Ocean County).  We are now seeing local forescast for towns 30 miles away in Monmouth County.  I called Comcast and got the typical response- "We aware of problem and are working to address".  I asked "when do you estimate it will be fixed?"  There response "we do not know at this time".  Typical "We don't care attitude"  just pay our high prices and let us rip you off.  Shows the lack of common concern for others that is Comcast's mission statement.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

byteme001 wrote:

My local on the 8's changed suddenly 5 days ago and now gives me weather that is an hour east of me. We rarely if ever have the same weather as Bensalem PA here in Quakertown PA. I thought it was some kind of glitch but after 3 days I contacted Comcast via web-chat. They said they were turning it over to someone else and I got a "ticket number". It's been a couple days and I am still getting Bensalem's weather. I just came on line now to see if I could search and see if anyone else is having this problem and I was blown away by all the peoplke here from all over the country with the same problem, sometimes even worse!!! If this is a Comcast forum, why hasn't anyone from Comcast addressed this issue and fixed it by now. C'mon, you mean to say there is no tech at Comcast that can't give us our weather according to zip code???? 

While I'm here, I want to add that I agree with the sentiments expressed here about the weather channel in general. I used to enjoy turning the weather on in the morning and listening not only to my local on the 8's but also what kind of weather was going on all over the country and what might be headed our way. Since the new morning program began, AMHQ, it's a chat-fest rather than meteorology! I really find the program very annoying, and pretty much turned it off once I saw my local weather. Now that I can't get my local weather, what's the point in watching?!

So Comcast, when can I get MY LOCAL weather??

Apologies - see post 9 above. 

I have shared this thread directly with our local and national teams that are overseeing these changes as well as with The Weather Channel who are also very much involved in these modifications. 

For background, these recent changes are due to the the addition of new (and additional) equipment required to deliver and support "Weather on the 8's" on the Weather Channel HD (which is new to this geographical area of Comcast).   

All of the recent Weather Channel consolidations were reviewed by our local and regional teams and also by The Weather Channel meteorological staff.  In most all cases the local coverage area became larger.

Comcast and The Weather Channel will continue to review these changes. We have already made additional modifications and reversed some initial coverage areas based on local feedback like this.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

psdstu wrote:

I think the lack of a response by Comcast here tells you all you need to know.......the chances of you getting your old "locals on the 8" back is pretty slim.....just saying...

See post 9 above. Also responded directly to your previous post in another thread. Thanks!

Visitor
byteme001

Your answer sounds like alot of BS to me.

You've updated your equipment so now that means we get poorer service. 

And please note, my local weather is not local on both HD and SD.

As a result, I no longer watch The Weather Channel. No biggie for me, but I'm sure that is not what you desired when you updated your equipment - fewer watchers. WFMZ-TV and Accu-Weather now provide me with all my local weather. 

Ya, great work!

New Visitor
goffstowngal

In Goffstown NH, the weather regions scrolling at the bottom of the Weather Channel screen changes from the Midwest region of the country to the West Coast.  This is great if I want to travel to those areas, however, I just want to know what the weather in my area of NH is going to be.

New Visitor
Mickey0104

Re: Weather Channel Wrong Local on the 8's.

We are brand new to X1. Our local on the 8's are for St. Paul, MN. We live in Ramsey, MN which is in an entirely different county. St. Paul is no where near Ramsey. Please fix our local on the 8's.
Visitor

About a week ago, the local weather channel screen went to solid green.  When it came back up, it is NOT the same.   All I want is my local on the 8's.

Now I have the forcast for the entire US.   Really?   If I were traveling might be worthwhile, but I am not.

Will we ever get the "real" local weather channel back?