New Visitor

Too many commercials

I'm old enough to remember that when cable tv came out it was supposed to be commercial free because we had to pay for it ..... now I pay for it and all I see are INFOMERCIALS or paid programming and my price still goes up every year. I'm getting a little older now and when I get up to pee there is nothing on except commercials and It's starting to be the same way during the day. I'm sure you can't control it all, but I know you can make it better, "cause I'm ready to switch" incase you forgot you do have competion Comcast. Give me some good options people.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Too many commercials

I remember when there was no TV at all.  Comcast provides a lot of channels, and doesn't control their programming.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Switch to the competition. You will still be complaining about the same thing.

As mentioned, Comcast has NOTHING to do with what networks and stations air. If you have a complaint, direct your anger to the proper place. All Comcast is obligated to do is provide the cable which allows you to view the various networks.

I long ago ceased to be amazed at the number of people who think their cable company controls what networks choose to show.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor

XM is doing the same thing. On your DVR hit FF 3 times and count to 5 than hit play. This will skip all commercials. Enjoy!!
Recognized Contributor

You're right, sceppa, there are much more commercials on TV now that we are paying for it than there used to be back when TV was free. And it is annoying as H E double hovkey sticks. But if you switch to the competition, you're going to get the same channels with the same programming and the same amount of commercials. Your service provider, in this case Comcast, has nothing to do with the programming. If you still feel you need to complain, take it directly to the offending networks.    
New Visitor

Anybody who thinks, “Comcast has no say in what the networks and stations air” is living in a vacuum.

TV channels and networks (i.e., the content providers), from the smallest to the largest, are desperate to have Comcast, with its approximately 24 million video customers, push their content into your home.  Comcast has contracts with the content providers it carries.  If Comcast indicates to a station or network that their content is not of sufficient quality, has too many commercials, costs too much, whatever, for Comcast’s customers, you can bet there will be some serious room for contract negotiation on that point and the dollars that change hands to carry that channel.  Sometimes it’s Comcast that carries the hammer into those negotiations (think, for example, shopping channels or those channels that are largely infomercials), and sometimes it’s the networks with highly desired content (think ESPN).

For my part, all of this may be academic in the near future.  Last week I connected a new digital converter box and cheap UHF/VHF set-top antenna to one of my analog sets to see how reception had changed since the national digital changeover.  Lo!  Where there used to be just four or five analog channels, some fuzzy, now there are twenty-five in beautiful digital clarity.  Twenty-five!  With cable rates going up a compound 5% annually, it’s time to rethink whether I really want to pay $650 a year from my hard earned, after-tax earnings for the pleasure of having available the three or four channels I like that I couldn’t get over the air or Internet.  Now, $1.78 a day isn’t much when you think of it that way, but try thinking of it as something like $8,500 over the next ten years (accounting for the 5% boosts each year over that period).  Hey, now you’ve got your hand too deep into my pants pocket, and I’m thinking maybe you’re not worth it.

Now, don’t get me started on what a scam the cellular oligopolists are running….

Recognized Contributor

I dont get it.

do what I do.

when theirs a commercial on the channel Im watching I switch to something else and count 3 or 4 mins and then I switch back. so I can watch two things at the same time and I never see a commercial all day.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Cal429 wrote:

If Comcast indicates to a station or network that their content is not of sufficient quality, has too many commercials, costs too much, whatever, for Comcast’s customers, you can bet there will be some serious room for contract negotiation on that point and the dollars that change hands to carry that channel.  Sometimes it’s Comcast that carries the hammer into those negotiations (think, for example, shopping channels or those channels that are largely infomercials), and sometimes it’s the networks with highly desired content (think ESPN).

I just had a brilliant idea. All cable and satellite tv providers can join forces and hammer the stations and networks to get rid of all commercials and content that customers don't like. Of course a HUGE segment of viewers will rise up in protest because what's junk programming to me will be what someone else loves.

Just HOW is Comcast (or any other provider) going to be able to dictate what networks do? I certainly don't want Cox or Charter or anyone else dictating networks. And customers of those providers don't want Comcast to do it either. How would a cable company define "content is not of sufficient quality"? Once again, what's junk to one person is treasure to another.  Networks won't give up commercial time because it would mean less money for them.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

Queen-Evie wrote:

Cal429 wrote:

If Comcast indicates to a station or network that their content is not of sufficient quality, has too many commercials, costs too much, whatever, for Comcast’s customers, you can bet there will be some serious room for contract negotiation on that point and the dollars that change hands to carry that channel.  Sometimes it’s Comcast that carries the hammer into those negotiations (think, for example, shopping channels or those channels that are largely infomercials), and sometimes it’s the networks with highly desired content (think ESPN).

I just had a brilliant idea. All cable and satellite tv providers can join forces and hammer the stations and networks to get rid of all commercials and content that customers don't like. Of course a HUGE segment of viewers will rise up in protest because what's junk programming to me will be what someone else loves.

Just HOW is Comcast (or any other provider) going to be able to dictate what networks do? I certainly don't want Cox or Charter or anyone else dictating networks. And customers of those providers don't want Comcast to do it either. How would a cable company define "content is not of sufficient quality"? Once again, what's junk to one person is treasure to another.  Networks won't give up commercial time because it would mean less money for them.

The other fear here is that if commercials are limited and less and less ad mon ey is coming in you are going to see more in programming product placements, those kinds of things where the soda bottles are not being blurred or being generic labels, but actually coke and so forth.  The other problems could be that the networks start asking for more money to show their channels as they need the extra revenue to pay for the big budget shows so then our rates increase.
Recognized Contributor

sceppa writes:

I'm getting a little older now and when I get up to pee there is nothing on except commercials 

Um, sceppa, that's a little too much information there...

But I do have a question - where is your television? in your bathroom? 

New Visitor
albrightie98

I agree with you.  It's 7 AM here in Washington State & I just got up to see what's on TV.  Out of the roughly 80 channels, 29 are infomercials, 5 are shop on you TV stations, 15 are govt. & access.  It sucks to pay for tons of comercials & advertisements so I can get 5 or 6 channels I  would actually want to watch.

Contributor
unhappyness

fact is the only way comcast and other cable and satellite companies are going to get it is for thier customers to shut off their service

unfortunately this would never happen. I was told that the only way I could get a DVR was to upgrade to ditgital starter package which happens to be $15 more then what I'm paying now.

They should leave these things upto the customers. If i want commercial free programming I should get it. Give a package that gives that. Also they could make all kinds of packages that allow people to choose what they want.

If a channel rarely gets choosen then I'd say more people don't like it and it needs to be removed.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

In the UK people pay a compulsary license fee every year to the BBC. For that they get a few channels and some quality programming commercial free. Draw back is they go after people avoiding the fee, resulting in court action and fines.

Networks have to get their money from somewhere, so unless we have commercials, the only answer is as above or we all pay more money voluntary into PBS type networks. (I doubt that would ever happen).

I do agree though, that there are far too many commercials, making TV almost unwatchable!

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

So what about the Corporation for Public Broadcasting model? Already taxpayer funded and if the Senate votes to eliminate funding like the House has done what happens to PBS? More foundation funding? I imagine membership dues will go up.

Visitor

[ Edited ]
Well done Cal 429! I will be canceling my cable and switching to an o.t.a. antenna because of the ridiculous amount of commercials and the ever increasing price of cable. Also changing the channel doesn't help, just more commercials. On an unrelated note I am a little disgruntled that special deals are only offered to new customers and there are no deals/rewards for being a loyal customer for years.Comcast can and will do something about excessive commercials if enough customers cancel their service.