Contributor
Chewy7491
Accepted Solution

WGN America: Salem

[ Edited ]

A new series "Salem" is starting this Sun 4/20 on WGN America. I was planning to watch it. But after checking the channel line up, and the programming for Sun 4/20; I couldn't find either WGN America, or Salem. If it's suppose to be there; I cannot find it. Why isn't WGN America on the Comcast channel lineup? Seems the only way to watch Salem is if you have Dish or Direct. Can't WGN America be added to Comcast?  -  The solution link created below does not go to the solution that I selected. It links to a post created by ComcastTed Official Employee.   -   The following is what was in the post I selected and in my follow up post; it indicates what's probably the best place to go and request WGN America be added to your channel line up. Go "to this address http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-content-on-xfinitytv-com/. In the last paragraph of the introduction section there is a link to a survey that customers" can use the write in section to request a channel be added to the line up. Anyone who does not have WGN America and wants it; should go the the link/survey, fill it out, and write in your request to add WGN America in the 'write in' box at the end of the survey. No guarantees; but it can't hurt to try. 

New Visitor
hill69

WGN America

Hi  Would like to see WGN America added to COmcast Connecticut now that they are adding original programming,  this would be a great companion channel to AMC

Contributor
Nana61

Re: WGN America

I would like to see WGN America in  Frederick Marylan Comcast as the program Salem is being advertised but not available.

Contributor
Nana61

WGN America

Please tell me why you are advertising WGNs Salem when the channel isn't available? tx

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Comcast doesn't carry WGN America; we won't be able to watch Salem.

Comcast does have WGN America. In Tuscaloosa, Alabama it's on 15 (SD) and 1216 (HD).

If you don't find it, your area does not have it in the channel lineup.

WGNA has a channel finder here http://www.wgnamerica.com/ if you want to use that to double check.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor

This is such a bummer!  I really want to see Salem too on WGN America, but we can't get it in Seattle either - unless you have Dish or Direct tv.  The channel JoeTV in Seattle showed the half hour TV promo show about the WGN America Salem series, so why show us that if we can't get the actual show?  Any idea if this series will eventually be available On Demand, or through another option - iTunes or Amazon?  I think Comcast dropped the ball on this one - too good of a show not to air.

New Visitor
LovingAngel01

I'm in Olympia WA and was so excited about this series. I searched for it and it popped up so I programmed the series, well it's not the series! It's the sneak peak that aired on our cable and is on demand right now BUT WE DONT GET THE CHANNEL OR SERIES ON ANOTHER CHANNEL???
I don't get it Comcast?!?! You tease me with this just to not have it on?
It's in my priority manager as a series to be recorded but shows no channel and no upcoming shows.
I don't understand why we get the hype just to not have the channel added. I grew up watching WGN and was shocked to discover we don't have this channel. Makes me think about switching with all the issues I've had and now this lunacy.
I have loads of blank channels where things were moved and I have ALL the channels, how hard would it be to slip WGN into one of those any vacant channels? This sucks!
Recognized Contributor
dadgren

[ Edited ]

You do know not all commercials on Comcast come from one location. For example I live in western Pennsylvania local businesses in my area have commercials on my local Comcast system. It would not benefit these businesses to have their commercials play on the west coast.

I have seen commercials for TV stations in Pittsburgh that are not on Comcast.  Is WGN Salem in your local area?

New Visitor
Mishka13

I agree....It is nasty. I am kinda p*ssed off personally. I am in Illinois...same deal. Why torment us with the preview if we cannot see the show?????

Contributor
Waukeganite

[ Edited ]

Comcast doesn't carry WGN America in northern Illinois from what I can tell. Bummer. Was looking forward to watching SALEM this Sunday after seeing a preview on WGN News earlier today.  It looks like a high quality program.

Hopefully Comcast will add this channel soon OR at least make the program available as part of their (free) ON DEMAND offerings.

Contributor
Nana61

WGN is a channel , Salem is a show, WGN is carried by locally accessed Dish companies. Feel like it's a teaser to us long term cable customers. A disclaimer from Comcast would have helped, though useful communication about matters like these seem to be impossible for this company to provide their subscribers. For example, several years ago they made huge changes that left people with older digital boxes without service. Stood in line for literally hours to exchange box, line streched outside, no notice ever went out to customers and help desk was unaware of why this happened. If you stand in line long enough these things get discussed! Communication is there business and they always send a bill for the equipment on time so.... generate a computer list and send notice to paying customers??? Sorry, have a miserable cold and am crabby. Anyway I know about the advertising, just ticked off from looking for it for so long then it's not available. Tx

Recognized Contributor
dadgren

Thanks for the clarification. I know how it is being a Comcast customer. I hate some commercials so much I would lose my mind without the mute button.

I have never seen the Salem or even a WGN commercial in my area.

I thought you might fine this info useful if you do not already know about it. The next time you need to call Comcast try this instead.

To use Online CHAT click on SUPPORT at the top of this page. On the next page at the bottom right click on CONTACT US..On the next page at the bottom left click on CHAT WITH AN AGENT.

The best things about using chat are they do not put you on hold and you do not have to press a button to hear a recording that tells you to press another button.

New Visitor
kikidee01

Unbelievable!!  We have BBCAmerica but not WGN America?  I'm  in Chicago where the Tribune Company owns these stations and have visited WGNTV many times.  This just doesn't make sense Comcast!!  Please add this station quickly....I want to watch  "Salem".

Contributor
Nana61

Tx for the tip!! Will use next time I have a problem. Another gripe I have is I am a triple play customer and can't update to a 4 recording DVR as an on-going customer, only available for new customers! How about some positive reenforcement for us oldies!! Rah rah, still crabby with the cold! Tx again.

Recognized Contributor
dadgren

If you could get it they would probably charge you extra. Might be better off without it.

I think there motto is "Anything to charge an extra $10 per month".

Keep your chin up Summer is on it's way here.

New Visitor
lstiles20

I'm honestly shocked that Comcast doesn't have this channel! I have been searching for Salem for the past 20 minutes, I really thought I was doing something wrong. It didn't even occur to me that the channel wouldn't be provided. I have the digital preferred package, which is pretty freakin expensive to not have a show that should be customary. It's not even a premium channel! Can it please be added to the lineup before Sunday? 

New Visitor
mad830

same here in ct, thinking about switching companies, too expensive and a month doesn't go by without being upset with comcast, and the upper channels freeze i'd rather read a book
New Visitor
angie4074

Yes, I am bummed too.  Shane West from Nikita is starring in Salem; I like his work.  Plus, of course, the topic Salem brings into the picture.  Was so excited to see him star in a new show already - big picture, lots of words, then boom, no number next to the WGN on the back of the Comcast guide.  What a let down :smileysad:

Contributor

I called comcast today and the person I talked to is putting in a request for WGN America and she said if they get enough requests the station could be added.  So EVERYONE call in or email comcast!!!  It didn't make sense they would advertise Salem and you could watch the preview on ON DEMAND and not have the series.  WGN America is not available in Illinois on comcast but could be added --So Put in your requests!!!

New Visitor
spexx23

Actually, Comcast does carry WGN (at least it does here in San Francisco, channels 33 and 775).  Use the WGN Channel Finder (at the top of the page) to find it in your area.  http://wgnamerica.com/ I use Tivo and didn't have either of these channels selected in my Channel List, so it didn't show up in any search results (except for the rentable episodes on Amazon).  Once I activated the channel in Settings & Messages>Settings>Channels>Channel List, I was able to receive search results and schedule a recording.

Contributor
Waukeganite

[ Edited ]

Just tried calling Comcast to make a request like @moochie827 was advised. The Comcast agent I spoke with mentioned he, too, had been trying to find out which channel WGN America was. After checking, he disappointedly found out WGN America is only carried by Comcast systems down south. His advice was to fill out a feedback request on this page: http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

P.S. My brother lives in Tempe, AZ and has Cox Cable as his provider which does carry WGNA.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Some areas do not have WGN America, no matter who they use as a tv provider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstation_WGN

"WGN America is an American basic cable and satellite television channel, that operates in principle as a superstation feed of Chicago, Illinois television station WGN-TV (channel 9). Owned by Tribune Broadcasting, the channel is one of several flagship properties owned by the Chicago-based Tribune Company, which also owns the Chicago Tribune, regional cable news channel Chicagoland Television (CLTV) and radio station WGN (720 AM).

WGN America is available in the United States on most cable providers, as well as on Dish Network, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS. However, it remains unavailable on cable in portions of the western United States and much of the New England region of the northeastern United States (including portions of the New York City metropolitan area). Moreover, some cable providers in select markets where Tribune Broadcasting owns a television station do not carry WGN America on analog or digital cable. Due to contractual stipulations in distribution agreements with most cable, IPTV and fiber optic television providers in the United States, WGN America is generally carried on a "limited basic" (or "lifeline") programming tier – alongside local broadcast stations and public, educational and government access channels.

In the Chicago metropolitan area, WGN America is not available over-the-air as a digital subchannel of WGN-TV or through pay television via Comcast Xfinity, WOW!, RCN, AT&T U-verse and other providers in the city proper and its suburbs – although satellite subscribers within the Chicago market can access the WGN superstation feed (in addition to the WGN-TV broadcast signal) through DirecTV and Dish Network."

I'm betting that customers of other providers are also complaining about not being able to get the channel so they can watch Salem.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
angie4074

Well, after reading more posts today, was unhappy to hear the "Western" states did not carry WGN.  Got a bit excited when I read someone found it in their TIVO which I also have.  But I had already checked the channel settings and didn't find it.  Thought I might have missed it.  But Nope - I live in Washington :smileysad:

Contributor

Well, I used the link from this thread and contacted Comcast. Here's hoping others do the same and we get the channel added. Comcast's response: We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about trying to get the WGN America channel as a part of your channel line-up. I have submitted this request to our programming and development department who keeps track of all channel requests. This request does not guarantee that this channel will be added. This request is for tracking purpose only. What this all means is that we take all requests for new networks very seriously, and that we carefully consider the overall impact of adding each network. While we cannot honor every request, we do take each request into consideration in planning future changes to the line-up
New Visitor

Comcast simply SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

As much fun as it is to bust on Comcast, its hardly fair to blame them if Tribune Broadcasting refuses to make WGN America available to them in some areas. In this case, your beef is with Tribune Broadcasting, not Comcast.

Contributor
Waukeganite

Here is the written reply I received a little while ago after receiving a phone call from a Comcast Rep:

Thank you for contacting The Office of Tom Karinshak. My name is Alexander. I am truly sorry that at this time we are not able to provide the television program Salem with our Xfinity On Demand services. I assure you I will do everything in my power to assist you today.

Today I contacted you and we spoke about the need to have a channel added to our line-up in order to have access to its programing through Xfinity On Demand.  It is through customer feedback such as yours that we are able to determine the demand for certain channels and do our best to provide those channels to our customers. If you would like to assist other customers who would like WGN America added to our line up you can give them this address http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-content-on-xfinitytv-com/.  In the last paragraph of the introduction section there is a link to a survey that other customers that you may know that would like this channel can use to voice this request. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to respond directly to this e-mail and we will do everything in our power to assist you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Does anyone here know how to set up a Facebook page to help put the word out about contacting Comcast? Admittedly, I know nothing about social media sites.

Contributor
Chewy7491

Sorry; don't know how to set up a Facebook page or other Social Media to let people know about going to the Comcast site to request WGN America. Maybe someone else will.  -  I got a resonse to my earlier Comcast request to have WGN America added to the channel line up. My understanding is that due to some contactual requirements, Comcast won't be adding WGN America in the Chicagoland area. But who knows. If enough people request it; maybe... 

New Visitor
jspatz1065

WGN is on Comcast in NJ channel 31 and 814. Check out the WGN website for the channel finder.
Visitor

Comcast you really need to customize for your clients. What are you showing a preview of a show that we are not going to be able to see? Actually why we don't have the channel? Too much $ for a very lousy service. This sucks. Through the years I am being faithfull to you but maybe it is time to move on. :smileysad:
New Visitor
ncs81

Actually, it's not. Channel 31 is Discovery and channel 814 is Bloomberg (which is occupying 2 channels). Comcast shows the previews for Salem and there's also one of those advertisement boxes at the bottom of the channel guide, but no WGNA in the channel lineup.
Contributor

That's it. I'm so close to canceling. Everything good ends up on netflix eventually, anyway, for one tenth of the price.
New Visitor
Jilliansarro

Umm I LIVE in Salem MA and I can't watch this show because Comcast sucks!! Get with the program!! I can't wait for verizon to be offered so I can cancel!!
New Visitor
JeanneVH

Ironic that WGNTV/Salem is not available in New England. Will comcast at least be able to carry it OnDemand like the half hour teaser for the series?
New Visitor
sha58

Very sad when we pay more for cable in one month then it cost to feed a family of 4 for a week and we still can't view a program likes Salem
New Visitor
bostonbeans

It's ironic that Comcast will not even provide the Salem tv show to viewers in Salem, Massachusetts 

New Visitor
redrose102151

Nope comcast is the only cable provider who doesnt carry the station, Verizon,dish,sat,and rcn have it thats sucks, now Ill have to find it online some where on Monday,, get with the time Comcast, after all its about our history here in Mass not Chicago ,,, : (   WGN is a Chicago station

New Visitor
redrose102151

Im sure it will show up on Project tv,, might not be the next day just check now and then,, thats what Im going to do or wait till next year and watch it on netflix

New Visitor

What wee'd me off is Salem is being heavily advertised on Comcast. Why promote a show we can't see?   edit" uh oh I said a bad word? Really?

New Visitor
kimulmer17

This is exactly what happened to me.  I was so confused, that I had to look it up on the internet to see what was going on. I agree with you 100% Why show previews for something you do not even have the channel for. Way to go Comcast. We just got the new dvr box so you can record 5 shows and you show commercials for a promising show that I was so looking forward to, only to be disappointed that you dont have that channel. The worst part is, I did a search for it, found it, and was able to set a series recording for it.....none of this makes any sense.

New Visitor
katies0812

Nope...31 is CNN in Hunterdon County and they skip right over 814...this is in Hunterdon County though...Don't know what the other counties are seeing.

Visitor
deelace

EXACTLY!! I was just about to write these same words! I simply cannot believe that Comcast would show previews of the new series, "Salem" in areas where they know this channel is not available. I had already been thinking about canceling cable. This has made up my mind for me. Like you said. WGN is not even a premium channel. I'm calling Comcast tomorrow. I have Netflix and hundreds of DVDs. That will do me just fine and I won't have to deal with this foolishness. I pay $180 a month and can't even watch a show on a non-premium channel? A show that's been hyped for weeks, on a channel that I always watch, causing me to believe that I would be able to watch it? Right. SEE YA Comcast!
New Visitor
weezy8051

Comcast doesn't carry wgn in NJ. You advertise Salem Tv show and entice us with it and we don't have the channel! Agrivated! We just got comcast back again and now this happens! Pleas add it to the channel line up.
Contributor
CrypticCeltic1

I agree ... I pay alot for my cable and yet half the lineup is Spanish channels yet we cant get this channel . I mainly watch netflix because cable programing sucks . I watch maybe 3 channels regularly for that I pay a fortune ... netflix streaming and blueray DVDs $19 a month ! considering dropping cable due to cost vs use .

New Visitor
HP-Fan-Salem

Comcast was just voted the worst company in America. This is just 1 more reason.
New Visitor

Get out the torches and pitchforks and lets hunt down the Comcast programming managers...oh wait...that's Frankenstein..

New Visitor

[ Edited ]
I am extremely disappointed with Comcast. I have had Comcast for over 11 years. I am a premium account holder and pay a hefty price tag to watch t.v. I don't understand how you can advertise something that looks so amazing, considering I live in Massachusetts where this took place, and not allow me to watch it!!
New Visitor
julieshaw

Im highly upset. Ive been looking forward to this for weeks. Why tease us with commercials when its not even available. So much for our easter tv. Grumbling.
Contributor
Chewy7491

As mentioned earlier in this string; go "to this address http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-content-on-xfinitytv-com/.  In the last paragraph of the introduction section there is a link to a survey that customers" can use the write in section to request a channel be added to the line up. It's probably the best thing to do right now. If enough people request WGN America be added; maybe... 

New Visitor
notoriouskim199

Wow...that is so dumb...new customers get the new perks, but the loyal get nothing????.... I never should have left Verizon:catmad: