Contributor

What happened to FMC?

Comcast has replaced FMC (a commercial-free movie channel on my channel #607) with FXM which is laden with commercials.  However, Comcast's website still shows #607 still is FMC.  FMC was one of the few Comcast channels I enjoyed watching.  Anyone else notice this arbitrary change by Comcast? Anyone else upset as I am over this change?

Bronze Star Contributor

Re: What happened to FMC?

I might have your answer here - see link. It looks like Fox Movie Channel became FX Movie channel on Jan 1 2012. Would Love to have this channel on the Comcast of Garden State, NJ system.

http://www.foxmoviechannel.com/

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

By me, Fox Movies (now Fox FX Movies) is part of the Sports & Entertainment package. With TCM moving to the preferred tier in more and more areas, finding good movies is getting expen$ive. I'm not certain what type of movies FMC used to have, but it sounds like FXM is just an all-movie version of the FX channel, with mostly newer movies?

Contributor

FMC was commercial-free.  FXM has the usual lousy escessive number of commercials. 

Contributor

FXM is OK if you like or don't mind sitting through the usual lengthy commercials.  FMC was commercial-free.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Sounds like what happened AMC years ago. They used to be commerical free, no longer. At least the last time I watched there were commericals.

Contributor

I remember both AMC and Bravo being commercial-free.  Why commercials were introduced, the cable company told us this had improved things.  

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

commanguy wrote: Sounds like what happened AMC years ago. They used to be commerical free, no longer. ...

No kidding. And lately they seem to be running old TV series instead of old movies, along with multi-hour blocks of infomercials. Ugh. Something weird is going on at AMC . . .

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Anyone remember what AMC originally stood for?:smileyblush:

They are airing original programming now ("H E double-hockey sticks" on Wheels), and are basically turning into a generic channel. (Comcast's bad-word filter is out of control. I can't even use the name of a program aired on their system!!!!)

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

andyross wrote:

Anyone remember what AMC originally stood for?:smileyblush:

If I remember correctly in my senile years American Movie Classics?

Regular Contributor
ashbroke

Reading this thread has answered a question I was going to ask - now I see why suddenly our FXM has commercials during movies. Wrote Comcast about it but they did not give me this answer - told me to contact FXM, which was difficult due to no  "contact" info on their new website (old website no longer works) until I dug way into their pages to find a way to contact them.  Obviously this will not be changed back to the old.

If we did not use TCM so much, we would drop the Sport/Ent channels package which is useless to us except for TCM. It is ridiculous we have to pay so much just to have TCM and now this commercial filled FXM - they hardly belong to a sports package!  Glad to find others seeing the same issue and providing the answer to why - thanks. Lousy deal.....:smileysad:

Contributor

AMEN!!!!!  I contacted Comcast.  They so much as told me, "Too bad." 

Contributor

Allegedly, the channel is commercial-free from (get this) 3:00 am until 3:00 pm; there are commercials from 3:00 pm until 3:00 am.  HOORAY!!!!

Regular Contributor
ashbroke

That is quite interesting!  Will have to check it out....thanks.

New Visitor
Misled

FMC and FXM are the same. Fox changed it, not Comcast. Had nothing to do with Comcast. It's part of Fox's rebranding. As of 9/2/10 FOX's rebranding FX to FX Fearless, FMC (Fox Movie Channel) to FXM (Fox Movies) and adding a new Channel called FXX.
New Visitor
Misled

Sorry. As of 9/2/13, not 9/2/10
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

FXX will 'replace' Fox Soccer. The problem is that it's only SD in most areas.