Contributor
tnorman5828

Xfinity cable tv looks blurry/pixelated

Compared to over the air reception (or even the reception I was getting back in Ohio through Time Warner cable) the cable channels I see look very blurry or pixelated. It looks like there is an extreme amount of compression being done to the video. Too much compression. 

At times pieces of things on the screen will simply look wrong. For example the background won't move but the person on screen is moving. Or part of the face loses detail while the rest has some. Overall it just looks blurry and pixilated. 

I would say there is a heavy amount of compression being done and then on top of that a good dose of sharpening. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this? Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Xfinity cable tv looks blurry/pixelated

first of all this is a customer to customer forum.   next what box do you have? what sevice level do you have?

Contributor
tnorman5828

I took "Comcast Help and Support Forums" which is on the Comcast website as being an official comcast help and support forum. I didn't know this was a  customer to customer forum. If it is then why do I see comcast representatives answering some of the questions?

None the less, I think I've found the reason for my poor image. As I've searched the forums more, it appears I am not alone on this issue. I have the basic xfinity cable box. It is a small 4 inch x 5 inch x 1 inch box that Comcast gave me with basic cable service. Frankly that should be good enough to get decent video quality. I'm not asking for HD, but I'm not even getting SD.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

The mod's on this Comcast Sponsered Community Forum answer what we can, and then can escalate to a Comcast Cares Corp Team when need be.  Comcast reps do not normally follow thread's being posted on a regular basis.

If you do have the new small DTA digital adapter, it will not give as good of a picture as a full set top box that outputs in composite, or a HD box that outputs in component or HDMI.

The DTA's were only intended for subscribers with extended basic cable and old tube type analog TV's to continue to receive channels that are now digital only, as the analog's were removed. 

On larger and HDTV's they will be a disappointment, and subs with HDTV's or higher quality tube TV's should be using a full set top box with the proper video output to the set, and not using the RF coax from the box to the TV. 

You should rethink your digital equipment choice depending on your TV's capabilities.

Contributor
tnorman5828

So to cut to the quick. You are basically saying I should pay more to get the service quality I should already be expecting? I mean, I've paid for basic cable service before, and I'm not getting any where near the quality of basic cable service.

No service rep told me when making the purchase that this box is intended for SD televesions and that even on an SD tv you will see really bad image quality. I wasn't informed that if I'm connecting the box to an HD TV or computer TV reciever that the image quality would be worse than SD television. And frankly, that isn't what I should expect to begin with. I should expect basic cable service when I'm paying for basic cable service. That means SD quality at the lowest. And I would even be willing to conceed a nudge in the negative quality beyond SD.

As I believe I said, I'm not even getting SD quality. The video quality is far bellow SD. RF coax from the box to the TV is perfectly suitable form of transfering an SD quality signal. Cable providers did it for a couple decades. It is even suitable to deliver HD, though the quality might be degraded compared to other composite, component or HDMI signals. My input is coax cable so moving up doesn't make sense if I'm being told that the reason my video quailty is poor is because of the coax cable. 

The issues isn't with the cable going from the box to my tv. It is with the amount of compression being done to the video that Comcast is sending or it is the box that Comcast provides to basic service customers. When watching a channel and a person's face lacks features it is suppose to have (like a mouth) or skin loses any definition or the background doesn't move despite movement by the people and camera, then this means there is an issue beyond wires. And from my experience with video codecs and compression it looks exactly like compression that is being poorly encoded or decoded. This issue has explicitly to do with what Comcast is sending across the wires or what Comcast has given its customers to decode that signal. 

It is a deliberate act by Comcast to push its customers into paying more for a service that they are told they will recieve for less. That sounds like a bait and switch skeem to me.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You might want to try another DTA.

Contributor
tnorman5828

How do I go about trying another DTA? Do I just take the box in or do I need to call to get it replaced?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You can take the DTA, power supply and remote to  the local office for a swap.