Contributor

basic expanded

We have basic expanded cable and had some issues with our box. After getting a new box we lost some chanels and the on demand option. My wife called and she was told that package is being discontinued! So if we want to keep the chanels we had our bill for TV will double! What the heck are you guys doing? Just trying to drive people to dish TV or direct TV? I'm told these competitors of yours have twice the chanels for about the same price? Looking in to it, belive me. My question is dose Comcast have any offers to people like us who have been good customers but are have options being taken away for what ever reason?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: basic expanded

What package is being discontinued, where are you, what (old and new) model boxes are you referring to, and what channels were lost?
Contributor

The basic expanded that had access to on demand. We had problems with FLN so we exchanged the old large box and got the little black one. Same problem No one said that any thing was changing or being taken away. So after the holidays we got some time to go down and exchange the box again. Get home and no FLN and now the On Demand option is gone. Heck we use that a lot! So back on the phone and they tell us the package we have is being discontinued! Then if we want to keep what we have the bill will double! At that point we are shocked. I mean double really? No we know but we can offer you this or that for a trial or some thing? **bleep** the first call in they offered some supper premium for  6 months free. We didn't take it because we would not use all the premium stuff we just want kids shows and the on demand. We are freaking tired after the kid goes to sleep ya know? Got to get up early cant stay up all night with the TV.

I know that was long winded but to sum up same problem after exchanging the box 3 times, trouble shooting over the phone  3 times. Then a nice, " To bad pay more" conversation.

We live in Northern California, bay area. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The old expanded basic package for many areas was around $60 plus taxes and fees.  Digital Starter is $1.99 a month more in many areas.

If you were paying alot less than $60 previously, then you were truely on some odd package that was discontinued or not really on the typical expanded basic package which so many subscribers had.  If you were paying around $60 and it should go up only a couple of dollars for digital starter.  If the CC rep is trying to sock you alot more like jumping to $90-100 or more, then they are trying to upsell you, and you need to do your homework for the current channel package pricing which is best for you.

It doesn't matter if it is a Satellite TV Co, Cable, Cell Phone or Landline, it is common to be able to keep your old price as long as you don't touch or change it.  I know from experience both Sprint PCS and DirectTV had me on old "grandfathered" packages, but any change to equipment or programing would initiate a new contract and current pricing packages.

Typically you should be paying about $62 for digital starter plus taxes and fees.  Again, prices vary by market.  If you were paying alot less than $60 a month, then you will lose your grandfathered package pricing, or you were on a cheaper package like digital economy or family tier.

Many times you will get a upsell, and if it doesn't sound right, hangup and keep calling back.  Many times you will get a different answer each time you call Comcast.

Contributor

Many times you will get a upsell, and if it doesn't sound right, hangup and keep calling back.  Many times you will get a different answer each time you call Comcast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well we decided on how to resolve the problem last night, which is cancel the cable TV from CC. We had the same package for 5 years and then it was changed, customer service stank, the technical support couldent find what the deal was. Our bill for TV was $38 and to keep what we had CC wanted to add $40 on top of that. Direct TV gave us 200+ chanels for $48, a $100 credit for us, $100 credit for my brother in law who refered us, AND a $100 gift certificate! 

That is much better than a different answer each time you call CC! If that is standard procedure for CC then that is some thing opperations needs to look into. After posting my frustration on Face Book, it seems that that kind of service is standard from the over whelming response I got.