Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Re: lakers network to xfinity?

hunter103805 wrote:

So you think that this channel would more likely be available in a basic/extended cable package like FSN, if anything?

Yes. That is my own belief based on past experiences.

Of course a deal still needs to get done that allows for any level of carriage to happen.  

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

just saw word on the web that bright house cable just got twc sports net the other day so whos gona be next i hope its us here at comcast

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

how big of a service area is that company...never heard of that one.is it in california

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

just in bakersfield mostly in flordia, 

Contributor
LAKERFAN44

Where are you watching on the web?

Contributor
LAKERFAN44

[ Edited ]
Message 42 of 55 (351 Views)
Contributor

It was nice to see that the Lakers NBATV game last night was not blacked out.  Guess my Laker watching will be limited to NBATV, ESPN, TNT and ABC...

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

we got 8 days till we hear something from comcast

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

Hopefully sooner...lol I got to see them play this morning on NBA tv replay
Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

New Visitor
thedaymaker

Technically it will probably cost $100 to $500 to hook the Lakers feed up so we can see it on the Central Coast.  Writing the contract between Comcast and  Time Warner will probably cost $50,000.  The contract itself will maybe call for $100,000 to Time Warner.  So figure a total of maybe $150,500 to have the Lakers on the Central Coast.  If there are 5,000 of us that want it it would cost $30.10 each.  To be fair a profit/handling margin should be added for Comcast.  If the channel carries all the Lakers games, home and away, and the monthly charge is $6 x 7 months = $42 per account x 5,000 accounts = $210,000 revenue and $59,500 for Comcast bottom line.  Not bad.

I'm in.

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

I'm hoping its part of the premium..like NBA channel.I don't think they are charging just for 1 channel
Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

i'm hoping that there is an update for us with good news

Contributor

[ Edited ]

First non-national tv laker game is Nov 4 which is the first of 12 straight non national tv games...clock is ticking....

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

why can't comcast give us an update like this one from cox cable
  Important update for Cox customers about negotiations for Lakers programming

Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Deportes, which launched October 1, 2012, have the exclusive English- and Spanish-language TV rights for the Los Angeles Lakers games. These channels also include some Los Angeles Galaxy soccer programming, Los Angeles Sparks and certain area high school and college games.

Currently, only Time Warner Cable and customers of Bright House Networks have access to TWC SportsNet and TW Deportes programming. TWC SportsNet has not secured carriage agreements with any other TV provider.

The price for the Lakers is one of the highest wholesale prices that we have seen, especially when you consider it on a "per game" basis: only 53 of the of the Lakers' 82 regular season games will be exclusively available on TWC SportsNet. The additional 29 games will be available on broadcast and other cable networks including ABC, ESPN and TNT, which are already available on Cox's lineup.

We are working through the negotiations process with Time Warner Cable SportsNet and hope we can come to an agreement that does not burden our customers with excessive price increases.

We have offered to carry their channels on our optional digital tiers, which would enable those who want to pay for the programming to have it. That offer has been refused.

As we do with all programming negotiations, we will continue to work through the negotiations process and fight on behalf of our customers to protect the value of the products and services we provide.

FAQs

Is Cox planning to add Time Warner Cable SportsNet to its lineup?

We are working through the negotiations process with Time Warner Cable SportsNet and hope we can come to an agreement that does not burden our customers with excessive price increases. We have offered to carry their channels on our optional digital tiers, which would enable those who want to pay for the programming to have it. That offer has been refused.

We know that the Lakers are popular sports programming, but that programming comes at an extremely high price. We will continue to work through the negotiations process with TWC SportsNet to fight on behalf of our customers and protect the value of the products and services we provide. 

Doesn't Cox get paid for offering programming?

No. There is a misconception that programmers pay cable companies like Cox to distribute their networks and content. In fact, Cox and all video providers are required to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to TV networks for the rights to distribute their programming.

When the wholesale cost of television programming increases, it drives up your (retail) cable bill. In particular, sports programming is the most expensive of all programming. Cox and all programming distributors negotiate fiercely to ensure that our customers' retail prices don't increase by millions of dollars.

Why is sports programming so expensive?

If you "follow the money," it goes like this:

1. Professional teams are paying incredibly large sums of money to sign the best players possible (e.g., The New York Yankees pay Alex Rodriguez $27.5 million per year for 10 years);

2. Television programmers help fund those salaries by buying TV rights to the team's games;

3. Television programmers raise the wholesale cost of this programming for television distributors to distribute those sports programs to their customers;

4. Cox absorbs as much of these cost increases as possible, but inevitably the customer has to pay more through retail price increases on their cable television bill, which is why we work hard to negotiate the best price possible for our customers.

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

to me it sounds like they don't want to carry the network cause we already see the games on national tv and the playoffs to just deal with it, giving us the middle finger, i hope that comcast isn't making the same excusse  to us too

Contributor
LAKERFAN44

Charter ponies up   http://ow.ly/eOaI1   Comcast what about it. Counting down till Tuesday night!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

come-on comcast lets get it done already 4 days till tip-off we would like an update from comcastteds

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

im glade they havnt updated or just lied about it. no news is good news i think. at least i get to see them play online

Contributor
LAKERFAN44

Now Verizon has signed up  http://www.lakersnation.com/time-warner-cable-sportsnet-announces-deal-with-verizon/2012/10/26/  Times running out Comcast I guess you can see who we are going to.

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

ok i was trying to be calm...but now im frustrated again

Contributor
LAKERFAN44

Where do you go to see them online?

Contributor

I just read somewhere where cox wanted to add it to an sports package and time warner said their network was too valuble to have it in a sports package.

"

On October 24, Cox, which has 1.2 million subscribers in Southern California, said it was rebuffed in its offer to carry the two channels on a specialty tier that would offer a portion of its customers other sports channels.

"We are committed to meeting the needs of all Cox customers, not just sports fans," Cox said in a statement. "The price for the Lakers is one of the highest wholesale prices that we have seen." "

Contributor

btw time warner wants $3.95 per subscriber for carriage.

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

LAKERFAN44 wrote:

Where do you go to see them online?

thefirstrow.eu or nbaliveonline.com thats what i've been using the whole pre season

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

ok the season is going to start..cox is just playing the game to see if TWC caves in cuz dish hasnt signed in yet either..well the first games are telivised TNT..all we have to do is wait

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

i download the games x"torrent"

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

DirecTV doesn't have it either. That's pretty big that neither satellite provider has the network. Especially DirecTV which is the leader in sports.

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

we would still like an update from comcastteds please

New Visitor
Air-On

I don't live in CA but I would gladly pay extra for a Lakers channel.

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

att uverse just struck a deal, and then there were 4, dish network, directv, cox, and comcast 3 days till tip-off clock is not your firend right now comcast

Contributor
LAKERFAN44

Hey Lakers Fans maybe we are going at this backwards. This is what I sent TW.

Thanks TW for trying to GOUGE the other Providers just so the rest of us Laker Fans can watch them live.

Maybe we put pressure on them also?  Just thinking.

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

is there an update for us comcastteds? tip-off is tomorrow

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

Any updates for us tip off is tonight
Contributor

First 3 games are national so at least we can watch those...

New Visitor
hunter103805

Unless NBATV is blacked out because the game is "shown locally"

Contributor

The exhibition games weren't blacked out but the way the Lakers looked last night maybe we're better off not watching them....

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

Its the offense there running..good ol Mike Brown

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Thanks for the continued feedback.

The conversations and discussions for carriage of this network are still ongoing. Thanks for your patience.

Regular Contributor
lorenzo93436

sheesh still a hold out between the 4 of you providers i guess sheesh lol, its ok though im movin to oklahoma tomorrow night hopefully cox knocks a deal through before i get there so i can watch my laker games till 1am, but im happy i got this goin for you guys, hopefully you guys will get a deal done too

New Visitor
mmz213

missing this laker season because I have comcast had me considering switching over, but if we keep losing i wont mind

Contributor
fbnr

how long before we get this network? I'm sure the lakers channel is in high demand all over california.

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

Unfortunately, as we tip off tonight against the Portland Trail Blazers, DirecTV and Cox have elected not to carry the new networks. We are disappointed but thrilled that, through our new partners at AT&T, Bright House Networks, Charter, Time Warner Cable and Verizon FiOS, their consumers and our fans will have choices to follow us on and off the court. Six for us laker fans..will they play $ games..we don't win either way
Contributor
fbnr

Lakers game is blacked out on nba league pass. This is unacceptable, why pay for the league pass if it doesn't even show laker games. Comcast you are garbage!

Contributor
LAKERFAN44

News from TW "More good news: Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes and Cox Communications have agreed to terms. Launch details will be announced shortly."

Down to 3. Who's next?

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

so is comcast part of cox?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

lakerdadphil wrote:

so is comcast part of cox?

No. Comcast and Cox are two separate companies.

Discussions and terms for carriage of this network in our southern California footprint are still ongoing.

Good read in last week's The Hollywood Reporter on this issue, link below: 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lakers-trailblazers-time-warner-cable-385029

Contributor

If Comcast is not signing a deal those of us that live 170 miles away from Staples ought to at least be able to watch them on NBA League Pass, frustrating to have that game blacked out last night...

Regular Contributor
lakerdadphil

Its not league passes fault..its the nba that has a black out section of ,i think 200 miles..that way people buy tickets...read the small print...i did and noticed that,thats why i didnt get it