New Visitor
Accepted Solution

turn off sub titles/ closed captioning?

How do I turn off the sub titles or closed captioning. It is on all the 300 movie channels and is driving me nuts. I can't figure it out  Help please!
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: turn off sub titles/ closed captioning?

If you have a Motorola cable box, see this site.
New Visitor

Thank you very much, that worked
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

That wikibook is a very good source of info for the Motorola boxes.
Contributor
alicewang0413

pls tell me how to turn off/on sub title by remove. I can't find the subtitle switch after switching on the menu button.

thanks

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Read the referenced link in the second post.  You have to turn off the Motorola box with the remote, and then hit the menu button.

Contributor
alicewang0413

I did switch off the motorola box, then when I hit the menu on the remote, nothing coming out on the screen. Could you pls provide me with detailed step by step instruction? Thanks for your help.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

See this

Contributor
alicewang0413

thanks for your info.

I still didn't look out the solution. I just can saw the show on TV: "DCT 2000 diagnostics 01;~19” according to your suggestion but the menu was not adjust. The menu listed 04 iterm displays the subtitle statue: Enabled: NO   iso lang:----.

Pls help me to how to solve the problem.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Have you tried just turning off the Closed Captioning on your television remote? If you have the DCT2000 that is a SD cable box and looking at the manual I didn't see anything about a closed captioning function on that box.

Look on your television remote and see if there is a button for Closed Captioning. Turn on the tv and press that until it says CC OFF. It may be a menu setting on the television itself depending on your tv model. If your tv remote has a MENU button go into the television menus and look for a Closed Captioning feature. You should be able to turn if off from the tv.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

alicewang0413 wrote:

thanks for your info.

I still didn't look out the solution. I just can saw the show on TV: "DCT 2000 diagnostics 01;~19” according to your suggestion but the menu was not adjust. The menu listed 04 iterm displays the subtitle statue: Enabled: NO   iso lang:----.

Pls help me to how to solve the problem.

You are in the diag menu instead of the user menu.

To get in the user menu on a Motorola or Pace box, turn off the set top box with the remote, then press "menu".  The CC settings will be there in the user menu.

Contributor
alicewang0413

Thanks for your helping.

I guess my TV may can't show the subtitle. My tv is Panasonic TC-34P700G.

Contributor
alicewang0413

I did it but the CC menu is not appear on my TV.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

May I ask where you bought this tv? And how old is it? I was looking for it on the Panasonic US website to look up the manual and could not find that model. It is possible if it was purchased overseas that the Closed Captioning system may be different.

Contributor
alicewang0413

Thank you anyway.

The TV was actually from China before 5 years. However I have to buy new tv in the location. Sould I deal with My old TV.....

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

You will have to check where you could get your old tv recycled. Most places will take it for recycling at a cost. You could ask wherever you buy your new tv if they take old tvs. Best Buy will sometimes take old tvs away for you but they have to deliver the new tv. You could also check with a local recycling agency about the options for getting rid of the old tv.

If you want to use your old tv yet you always could use it in another room if you wanted. But if you don't use a second box all you will get are the local channels over cable. Plus if you can't turn off the closed captioning, which should be on the tv itself not the cable box you have from the model number, then you could still keep it. It is your choice.

Contributor
alicewang0413

Thank you very much!

I have another question. My parents will come to my home from China. I want to cancel comcast TV and change to KYLIN which is chinese TV programm for them because they can't understand english a little. But I still want to keep internet of comcast for KYLIN. I want to know whether the comcast agree to my requestion that cancel TV and keep internet if I apply it. I saw the Ad from comcast web that the fee is 19.99usd/month if you rent the internet cable.

Alice

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

You will have to call 1-800-COMCAST and talk to them directly. If you have Internet service with Comcast already they may not give you that rate; usually rates like that are for new customers. You can ask when you call. You would have to call in if you want to cancel the tv service anyway.

I can't guarantee the rate they will quote you but ask.

Contributor
alicewang0413

Thanks!

I find Comcast has a big problem.

Comcast has only done some promotion to new customer but their old custumers can't share some new promotion of Comcast. However they will loose the old custumers finally if they still have the business idear.

New Visitor
fcstrauch

If you haven't already figured it out - here you go.  The previous answers did not help me!

Hold down the cable and power buttons until screen goes black.  Hit the menu button and scroll down to disable closed captioning.  Press exit and you're done.

Getting to the black screen is kind of tricky, so just keep trying and it will eventually work.  Good luck!

New Visitor

Thanks, you were right! It worked! It was driving us crazyyyyy!