Visitor

Cable Modem Password Reset

How can I reset the cable modem password that was originally set by the technician when he installed it?
Official Employee
ComcastNick

Re: Cable Modem Password Reset

On your model modem, you need to hold the reset button in the back for 20 seconds.  The modem will then reset and while it normally comes back up within 30 seconds, but it can take up to 5 minutes for the modem to re-register.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Visitor

I was hoping to just be able to log into the modem and change the password there. Any chance of that? I have the existing password for the modem. Thanks
Official Employee
ComcastNick

Yes you can certainly do that.

For your model, you want to go to the 10.0.0.1 address, then when prompted, log in with the username and password for the modem.  Which by default should be "admin" and "password".  Then you are able to change any wireless settings you would like.

If you cannot log in to the modem, then you would have to follow the reset method, which once it re-registers would allow you to change the wireless password as needed.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Visitor

Thanks...It didn't like "admin" and "password" as the user name and password, so I guess I'll have to go the route of resetting it. Thanks much...
Connection Expert
EG
Connection Expert
EG
New Visitor
dca44

So in order to change your password you have to reset it and it somehow magically can get it changed to what you would prefer

on its own?  And this is also what the website says on how to reset your password?  Just hit reset but but don't bother mentioning actually how to change it?  Is there somewhere you have to go?  A website?  Do I have to call someone?  this is very strange advice and seems like a very common request and a very simple solution.

Connection Expert
EG

Are you using a CC supplied gateway device ?

Recognized Contributor
JEMRING

dca44 wrote:

So in order to change your password you have to reset it and it somehow magically can get it changed to what you would prefer

Reason for having to rest the device to factory default is that you Do Not know current admin/PW. You are doing a hard clear so you can set it to something accessible. It would be a good idea to write down new Admin name and password on a tag then attach that to the device in a clear unobtrusive location for future use.

You should not write down and store passwords for computers and such in readily accessible locations for security reasons, but if somebody has physical access to the router/modem already and the time to mess with it they could hard reset anyways.

Having this sort of setting info attached to the device can save you a lot of bother in the future, who really remembers a password they set and used ONCE 6-9 months ago across a half dozen support devices that are not messed with unless they develop problems?

Connection Expert
EG

New Visitor
JoseGanzhi1279

belen1

New Visitor
JoseGanzhi1279

belen1