New Visitor
tm686

Cable modem rent or buy?

I just realized I have been paying comcast $7 per month for many  years (?7) to rent a cable modem which is on their end of life list (motorola  surfboard 4200-end of life as of 10-2008). 

I can buy a motorola surfboard 6120 for about $85--i.e. an up to date device for the cost of one year rental of out of date device.

So why should I rent one for $7 a month--especially since comcast never bothered to tell me I was using an out of date  device?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bronze Star Contributor
Cobra67

Re: Cable modem rent or buy?

I agree.  I also have a modem that is listed as (EOL), end of life.  I am not 100% certain but I THINK if you get a modem that Comcast supports, they they will offer support for the modem if something should happen.  What would keep me from purchasing my own modem would be this.  When you do and you will experience slow connection, no connection etc.  Comcast might be more quick to say that your cable modem is bad.  Thereby making you jump through hoops to return the modem and try to get another one.

I never purchased my own cable modem and I just looked at this one just for information 

Motorola - SURFboard eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem and that one comes with a 2 yr warranty.  So that would not be an issue returning it.

I would wait to see what someone from comcast says as far as offering support when you do have connection issues.  If they will reset the modem from main offices etc then it would make sense to purchase your own I would think.  Just my 2 cents lol

New Visitor
tm686

Thanks for your input. It just irks me that I have paid for this out of date modem  for 2 years now (total of 2 years of rental fees would cover cost  of about 2 new up to date modems) despite the fact that comcasts' own help site states

"You can purchase a new device at many retail locations, or Comcast can supply you with a leased device.  If you lease this device from Comcast, we will take care of future device replacementsClick here to chat with a representative that can send you a new device self-installation kit and begin leasing your device.  "

I guess that bit about taking care of future replacement does not include telling me when my modem is out of date?

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Take your modem to your local Comcast office and ask for a new one.

Visitor
Charpol

I have used my own internet modem since signing onto Comcast.  I have had several daily interruptions to my internet service for a year.  Comcast has made several changes to their connections, but usually refers to the modem as a possible problem.  It is a Netgear modem.

Funny, but I lost all power last week for 3 days due to a snow storm.  Ever since power was restored, I have not had any interruption to my internet service.  Go figure!

Use your own judgement, but I don't know why any modem wouldn't work as well as Comcast's modem.

Connection Expert
JamesR

I had a comcast modem for a few years and it failed..  I then bought my own modem and it has worked well.  Sometimes a 3day outage will get you a different IP address and you get a more reliable path across the backbone.  Just a thought.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I've had a Comcast modem for many, many years.  While I pay for the rental, at least I know if something goes wrong with it, Comcast will replace it.  I call the rental 'insurance'.  But renting or buying your own, is really a personal decison I guess.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
JERRYSR1946

This is a "NO BRAINER" It is like whether to rent or own a house or to rent or buy a car.
For goodness sake people, wake up & smell the coffee, if anyone furnishes you anything to rent at all it has to cover the cost of purchase plus an added profit. DUH!
Don't be fooliah buy yur own modem!
It's not like a mortgage, it is less than $100 or one year rental besides you can get a used one for half on ebay, if you get a bad one, just chuck it & get another one for half on ebay.
End of story.
Connection Expert
EG

JERRYSR1946 wrote:

besides you can get a used one for half on ebay, if you get a bad one, just chuck it & get another one for half on ebay.

Let the buyer beware about modems purchased on E-bay. Some of them wind being on the "stolen list" in their database and CC will not provision them for service...

Contributor
verakot

Any ideas on how often does Comcast update the Internet service so it would require a new modem? If they change is at least once a year, it does not make sense to buy a modem since you can request a latest version from Comcast?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

The service is by no means updated every year. It is far less frequent than that. Currently there is a major update going on due in part to a change in the DOCSIS specification. DOCSIS 3 is the latest spec being rolled out and is actually live in most areas save for the upstream multiple channel bonding part which is currently in beta testing in limited areas. If one were considering purchasing their own modem it would be prudent to insure that it is DOCSIS 3 capable in order to help "future proof" their purchase.

Contributor
verakot

It looks like it does make sense to buy vs rent. I am looking at the DOCSIS page:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I see Motorola SB6121 listed as a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and SB6120 is not listed as DOCSIS 3.0. However, when I check it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

the SB6120 is listed as a DOCSIS 3.0 model. Since they cost almost the same, any recommendations on which model one should buy?

Connection Expert
EG

Either one will do. The 6121 is basically the same inside as the 6120 but it has newer outside package.

Networking Expert
Baric

verakot wrote:

It looks like it does make sense to buy vs rent. I am looking at the DOCSIS page:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I see Motorola SB6121 listed as a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and SB6120 is not listed as DOCSIS 3.0. However, when I check it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

the SB6120 is listed as a DOCSIS 3.0 model. Since they cost almost the same, any recommendations on which model one should buy?

The SB6120 IS listed as DOCSIS 3 on that list, not sure what you mean here.

As for SB6120 vs SB6121, the changes are minor and of no real consequence to the user.  The case is different, the 6121 has a on/off switch (configurable by the ISP), and there are some minor chip differences inside, but it all works the same, both are DOCSIS 3, and the both have bascially the same features, although the SB1621 has a slightly higher max downstream speed (170 Mbps vs 160Mbps on the 6120).

All in all, they are equivalent.  Pick the one you think looks better ;-)  I like the 6120 better aesthetically, but who the heck cares on a cable modem?

Regular Contributor

If you're worried about equipment being outdated too fast, I've been using my Linksys cable modem since 2003. They only just sent me an e-mail telling me that it was EOL, and suggested that I should purchase a more current modem in order to receive the best service. Of course they would lease me one if I prefered, otherwise I should pick from the list on their website. Pretty good longevity if you ask me.

I would suggest getting the highest DOCSIS rating you can. (3.0 is best)

Contributor
verakot

Great! I just ordered SB6121 since I plan to keep the service for at least 2 years. I also had Linksys cable modem for sometime and it looks like it's the time to replce it now.

New Visitor
New Visitor
nsx

I just ordered a uBEE DDM3513 modem for my new internet service.  What cable or cables will I also need?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

It should come equipped with a short length of cat5e/cat6 ethernet patch cord. And of course it has to be connected to the existing coax cable from the Comcast. If it is a wall outlet you will need a length of coax cable jumper to suit/reach where you choose to place it.

New Visitor
New Visitor
nsx

I just ordered a uBEE DDM3513 modem for my new internet service.  What cable or cables will I also need?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

I just replied to you. Check above.

New Visitor
New Visitor
nsx

Thanks for the info.  I tried to edit my post to delete the em "tag".  I didn't know how it got there or what it meant.  Instead of removing the tag, the forum reposted my original post after your response.  

New Visitor
ollysteed

I have the Ubee and it's made in vietnam.

What you want to do is reduice cable loss as much as you can.

From when it comes into your home they use the cheap 75 ohm coax.

You should use the later loss quad sheild coax.

Also the shorter coax going from thr modem to the computer should be as short as can be and the best you can afford.

As for rentint the modem,well 7 bucks is not bad and if it should blow smoke Comcast will give you another.

One gripe I have with Comcast is that when I signed up for the promo I was told my uploade speeds would be 20 up and 5 down.

Then on lin ewith live chat they told me I had 8 up and 2 down then the other night I was told I had 15 up and 2 down so I went back a few hours later and I asked what my speds were and I was back down to 8 up and 2 down.

Those sped meters are just that.

I have 8 up and 2 down but they always show me close to 20 up and always over 4 down.

It is just a scam to make you feel better then when your 6 month trial is up they raise the rate so this time I will argue and if they refuse to let me keep my current rate then I will go back with the phone Co.

Connection Expert
EG

This thread has run its coarse and is now closed.