New Visitor
Craig6101

Easy Solve problems

My problems started when I tried to update (at Comcast's prompting) my Easy Solve software. I kept getting caught in a loop when clicking on the, "update" button. The system kept sending me back to the original page. So, I couldn't update. Then, the software stopped working. I uninstalled and now it won't re-install.

What is so disappointing is when I called Comcast for help. No one I spoke to knew anything about Easy Solve. There was no tech support for Easy Solve. They gave me a case number for someone to call me back within 24 - 48 hours.

A few days later someone called. The gentleman was nice enough, but was hardly helpful. The only thing we tried was to disable my anti-virus and internet protection software in an attempt to install Easy Solve. Still, my computer would not let me, "run" the download. Then it was, oh,well.

In the past Comcast technicians have been very helpful and patient when setting up my computer for email and internet connections. They stuck with me (and my computer) until the job was done.

Easy Solve seems to be the red headed stepchild of Comcast. The message I came away with was, don't use it and don't call us about it.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Easy Solve problems

[ Edited ]

I participated in the trial for Easy Solve and was not impressed. Neither was anyone else who participated in it.

Stay away from it. It really doesn't do very much. And it doesn't diagnose any problems. All it does is run a scan and lists "problems" it finds.

If you don't subscribe to SIgnature Support all it will do is clear out your cache and tell you to fix things that really don't need to be fixed. You will be told there are things that need to be fixed in order to optiminze your system but no real details are given about WHY it needs to be fixed. Some of the things it wants to "fix" are Windows default settings, which probably have not caused you any problems and are ok to leave as is.

Example: "Set Critical Windows 7 Services" with no information on these services.

ES critical services.PNG

Another example for Optimize my Computer: I was told Desktop Shortcuts are disabled. Fixing that added 2 shortcuts which I did not want-Network icon and an icon for my user folder. These only showed up after logging off and then logging back on.

One thing I encountered was being told to clear the cache-AFTER I did an experiment. I cleared my cache. I then ran Easy Solve. I was told the just cleared cache needed to be deleted, so I did some searching and found a history item. When you sign in to Easy Solve it is added to the history. So even if you clear your cache, which includes history before running it, you will ALWAYS be told the cache needs to be cleared. This item is an EASY SOLVE ITEM that gets added to history.

es history.PNG

It will want to "help" you if you are not connected to the internet. I also tested this "help".

The only way I could test it was by unplugging the wired connection my computer has to the router. My husband was using his computer in another room which is a wireless connection so I could not unplug the modem.

It told me to Check your Cables. I checked and gee whiz the cable was disconnected from the router, I plugged it back in. There was nothing that told me I was reconnected to the internet.

The next screen was Reset the Modem. There is no need to reset the modem if the problem was a simple of case of cables or power cord being disconnected or loose.

If you reset the modem and that doesn't work you are told to call Comcast.

Obviously if there is a service outage checking cables and resetting the modem won't work. If there is a Comcast network issue and your internet starts crawling slower than a turtle it won't be able to help you..

Easy Solve assumes something is wrong on YOUR end of things when that may not be the case..

After the trial I uninstalled Easy Solve.

I recently reinstalled it when someone else asked about Easy Solve. I wanted to see if anything had changed.

It has not. It still drops items into history so it still tells me it needs to be deleted even though I cleared it before running Easy Solve. It still tells me critical items need to be fixed with no info on WHAT/WHY they should be fixed. It still tells me desktop icons need to be added to my desktop.

On 4-16-2012 I deleted one my secondary Comcast email addresses. The next day I opened up Windows Live Mail. A pop up from Easy Solve appeared on my screen, telling me

easy solve mail.PNG

I knew what the problem was-I forgot to delete the account from WLM. Being the curious type I ran the scan.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words I present these snips taken after the scan:

ES Mail Scan1.PNG

ES Mail Scan2.PNG

ES Mail Scan3.PNG

Easy Solve either has delusions of grandeur and thinks it can solve all problems or email "problems" are listed in invisible ink. Comcast has once again added to its not-so-stellar branded software history with Easy Solve. There is nothing about email in the results.

I DID NOT USE IT TO FIX ANYTHING.

I have not tried the connection portion since the program has been released. That will have to be done when no one else is using his/her computer.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

Just delete the program and you will have no problems.

New Visitor
Craig6101

That's what I did. It's sad they literally have no support nor interest in helping. If they offer somethng, they should at least set up a procedure to help. Thanks.

New Visitor
Lori531

Last Friday, I received a message when I turned on my computer that there was an Easy Solve update. I installed it and it ruined my windows installer and did something to my registry. It also made it impossible to view my Word or Excel documents or any microsoft program including Microsoft picture viewer (I had real player and am now viewing photos using that). After installing the Easy Solve update, every time I turned on my computer, the Windows Installer window came up and it tried to install something, unsuccessfully, then I would get another error message that the resource to run something was not available. It was hard to get rid of these two windows even though I clicked on "cancel" numerous times.  Finally after clicking cancel about the 10th time, it would disappear - until the next time I turned on my computer. Luckily, I can still get on the internet with IE and view my PDFs. I had my husband who is an IT person try to fix it and also a friend with an engineering degree in computer sciences and fixes problems like this for a living and they couldn't fix it. They both suggested I get a new copy of Word and Excel and reinstall them to at least view those files. I no longer have my installation CD for Microsoft Office, so that means purchasing those programs again.  I called Comcast, got transferred a few times, twice to the Easy Solve department, who couldn't help me and then connected me with HP and I was told I needed to buy a new computer with a Windows 7 operating system and I did. I previously had Vista on a 5 year old computer which worked fine. I wouldn't recommend installing Easy Solve because of this problem. Especially if you have an older computer with a Vista operating system like I had.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Lori, did you uninstall Easy Solve? I hope you read my review for the program.

Your computer and operating system have nothing to do with the issues it caused. The only solution is an uninstall of Easy Solve.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Lori531

[ Edited ]

Yes, one of the first things I did was to uninstall Easy Solve. But the problem remains now with my computer. The process of updating Easy Solve damaged the registry and the Windows Installer on my computer. Before I did the update, my computer was fine. Immediately after, I had the problem. Even though Comcast is not taking responsibility for this problem and there is nothing I can do about it, other than buy a new computer, that is what caused the problem.

Email Expert
CCCarole

The Administrator has been notified.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Do you remember WHEN you installed Easy Solve? If you do you can look through System Restore to see if there is a restore point just prior to the time of install. If there is try System Restore.

As for the computer you can, as a last ditch effort, try a repair install of Vista or a clean REINSTALL of Vista.

A repair is supposed to keep your existing documents, but just in case something goes wrong:

You would have to back up anything you don't want to lose, including favorites and email/address book from an email client if you use one. This would have to be done for a clean install.

The only problem I see is reinstalling Office if you don't have the disks. If you know someone who has the disks for the same suite (example:if you have Office 2003 you would need a 2003 disk)  you have you could borrow the disk and use your serial key. To retrieve the key you can run Belarc Advisor which will tell you what it is.

While it may be time consuming to install all your programs and do all the Windows updates it is cheaper than a new computer.

New Visitor
Lori531

[ Edited ]

Yes, it was last Friday and I did do a system restore to a week before that date just to be on the safe side. It did not work and I get the same errors.  I am going to try to get a trial version online so I can at least access my documents until my new computer arrives which I did have to buy at $600.  Microsoft office for one computer costs $200 and $280 if I want to use it on 2 PCs.  For my $600 I had to spend, I will get Word and Excel full versions, and the new computer, which I was going to eventually purchase, just not this year. I was planning on purchasing a new computer next year, but because of this was forced to purchase it a year early.

I could have done a Vista operating system restore, as I have recovery disks for Vista,  but opted for the new computer now as I just don't have the time to go through all that restoring all my software, most of which I no longer have the disks. I'd rather just deal with the migration now to the new computer, but thanks for the suggestions.

Email Expert
CCCarole

You might want to consider purchasing True Image.  It is on sale now for multiple PC's.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index_gwo.html?utm_expid=4274314-6&utm_refer...

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, If you do decide to get a new computer with Windows 7, it will have a disk imaging / backup program built in. Sadly, many people won't use it...

Contributor

I couldn't get it started either. The very first box asks you to enter your name and zip code. I entered the Zip code and get a message invalid Zip code, didn't recognize 03811 (Atkinson NH). The only way to stop the E-mail problems with Xfinitey (Comcast was to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.0 because of the run time erros. Installed Google Chrome that was faster but the frequenty when you select view entire inbox it would just load another home page and the address book would disappear and come back hours later. Comcast just said they don't support Google Chrome. So far Firefox is doing everything correctly and is supported by  Comcast. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

JG2009SR wrote:

The only way to stop the E-mail problems with Xfinitey (Comcast was to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.0 because of the run time erros.

Easy Solve will not solve Xfinity Connect problems.

The email "problem" solving is for email clients.

Connection Expert
EG