Contributor
UTHorsey

Netflix Open Connect?

As I'm sure many have heard, Netflix is, as of today, rolling out "super hd" content as well as 3d streaming.  In order to receive this content, your ISP must be a part of the Netflix Open Connect Content Delivery Network.  It's no surprise, but Comcast does not appear to be a part of this network.  Does anyone know if Comcast is planning to support this anytime soon?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57562849-93/netflix-brings-3d-super-hd-video-to-some-customers/

Contributor
UTHorsey

Re: Netflix Open Connect?

Well, I chatted with a Comcast rep who was very nice, although by the end of it I felt like I was the one providing the assistance, lol.  Here is a transcript of the chat for anyone who cares. 

• CHAT ID: 0E645931-7557-4285-9A5C-70E0689C7029
  • Problem: I am wondering if Comcast has plans to support the Netflix Open Connection Network anytime soon?
  • Perry > Hello Eric, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Perry. Please give me one moment to review your information.
  • Eric > My Issue: I am wondering if Comcast has plans to support the Netflix Open Connection Network anytime soon?
  • Perry > How are you doing?
  • Eric > I'm doing well, thank you!
  • Perry > That is good to know .
  • Perry > Please tell me more about your concern .
  • Eric > I was just wondering if Comcast had plans to support the Netflix Open Connect Network as many other ISPs have begun to do. It allows for higher quality streaming through Netflix as well as streaming of 3D content.
  • Eric > For reference, here is a link to a brief CNET article - http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57562849-93/netflix-brings-3d-super-hd-video-to-some-customers/
  • Eric > Currently, Comcast does not support this, and if there are no plans to support it, I may have to look for a different ISP.
  • Perry > Thank you .
  • Perry > Please give me a minute to check on the link
  • Eric > Sure thing,
  • Perry > One thing for sure that you can stream netflix through Comcast connection on HD format .
  • Eric > Of course, but that doesn't mean I can stream "Super HD" (whatever that is) or 3D (which is what I'm really interested in).
  • Perry > Ah, this rumored Super HD and 3D " .
  • Eric > No, not rumored. It does exist.
  • Perry > Yes, Comcast is working on it , in fact , we are changing the data caps to higher as this technology would consumes bigger bandwidth .
  • Eric > That is good news, do you have any guess as to when it may be supported?
  • Perry > The communication is not yet rolled out from the higher management but we will be spreading the news to everyone .
  • Eric > Well, that sounds like it will be happening sooner than later then, again, that is good news.
  • Perry > By the way, I have also a netflix account .
  • Perry > Do you know of a movie that is on super HD format?
  • Perry > I want to try it .
  • Eric > I saw a screen cap with White Christmas (odd, I know) that showed it supported Super HD. The Immortals is apparently one of the 3D supported movies.
  • Perry > Thank you so much .
  • Perry > This is really nice .
  • Perry > Although it might requires a faster internet connection .
  • Eric > Yes, for the optimum quality it can require up to 12mbps
  • Perry > Thank you for the information .
  • Eric > Netflix has set up this site - https://signup.netflix.com/superhd
  • Eric > it will tell you if your ISP supports the streaming
  • Perry > Thank you so much .
  • Perry > Thank you .
  • Perry > This a good to topic for our engineers to discussed.
  • Perry > discuss*
  • Eric > Well, I do appreciate the information that you have given me, and hope that Comcast does end up supporting this soon!
  • Perry > You are most welcome, Eric .
  • Perry > It has been my pleasure serving you today and I truly appreciate your understanding and cooperation. Do you have other concerns for me today? I will be glad to assist you further.
  • Eric > No, I guess that's it. I'll just check that netflix site every so often until the additional content is available. Cheers!
  • Perry > Thank you for choosing Comcast for your entertainment needs! Our goal is to provide you with a consistently superior customer experience – that’s our guarantee. Learn more about the Comcast Customer Guarantee at http://www.comcast.com/corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?fss=customer%20guarantee
  • Perry > Analyst has closed chat and left the room
Visitor

Thanks for posting this, I too look forward to when Comcast supports this. My ISP at work does support Open Connect according to that webpage. Ironically, that is a ADSL+ connection so I usually average about 10 Mbps down. While I can bring my Roku 2 XS to work, there is no 1080p or 3D TV available there.
New Visitor
alcimedes

[ Edited ]

I think you got the better response.

ComcastRep: Hello alcimedes, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is

ComcastRep. Please give me one moment to review your information.

alcimedes: My Issue: I was wondering if/when Comcast had plans to offer Netflix "SuperHD". On their site it said: Netflix Super HD requires that your Internet Provider is part of the Netflix Open Connect network. Please contact your Internet Provider.

ComcastRep: We are proud to offer the Comcast Customer Guarantee. I look forward to helping you today, alcimedes . Our goal is to provide you with a consistently superior customer experience that’s our guarantee. Learn more about the Comcast Customer Guarantee at http://www.comcast.com/corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?fss=customer20guarantee

ComcastRep: Thank you for raising that concern to us alcimedes.

ComcastRep: I understand you are interested for Comcast to provide Netflix Super HD as part of our package, correct?

alcimedes: correct

ComcastRep: Thank you for confirming.

ComcastRep: I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you alcimedes.

alcimedes: it was just announced yesterday to my knowledge, so i'm not expecting miracles. just wondering if it is planned on being supported

ComcastRep: As for that concern Comcast does not support Netflix as we have our application which is On Demand.

alcimedes: ?

ComcastRep: As well as Xfinity Streampix

ComcastRep: Here is a list of the difference between what Netflix provides to that of On Demand/Xfinity Streampix

alcimedes: this would be related to internet services, not cableTV

ComcastRep: I understand that alcimedes. Our On Demand and Xfinity Streamix are applications available online.

ComcastRep: You can’t watch live TV with Netflix. No current episodes of your favorite TV shows. No live sports. Streaming Netflix TV shows and movies requires an internet connection. XFINITY On Demand is included with Digital Starter TV service and above does not require Internet to access.

alcimedes: are you just going to use this session to try and upsell me on xfinity services?

alcimedes: that is not helpful

ComcastRep: Oh! No alcimedes.

ComcastRep: I am trying to explain as to why Comcast does not support Netflix for now.

ComcastRep: I apologize if you felt that I am trying to upsell our Product.

alcimedes: so suffice it to say, Xfinity/comcast is not going to offer support for this product in the future, for their internet service customers? alcimedes > is that accurate?

ComcastRep: Yes that is correct alcimedes.

alcimedes: thanks

Contributor
UTHorsey

Thanks for that alcimedes, some of these Comcast reps are always good for a laugh.  It doesn't surprise me that your guy was so clueless, but every once in a while you do get to speak with someone who seems to understand what's going on.  

That said, I won't be holding my breath for this service to become available anytime soon, but who knows.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

this probably wasnt the best place to ask this.  It has been responded to here.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Netflix-Super-HD/m-p/1534709#M20787

Netflix does broadcast in HD  but not 1080, only cablevision and google fiber are on the list, google for obvious reasons.   I don'[t see an upside for comcast to join here as all it will get them is more of their bandwith used. 

Visitor

I too used the chat but got a slightly better response:

Bernard: I was asking if Comcast had any plans to join this network and if not, if there was a place to put in a request for consideration

Jan: Okay, I have checked all our database here about that but as of now, we do not have any information about Comcast planning to join that network.

Jan: I will give you an email address or link where you can contact us and send your suggestion.

Jan: http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

Bernard: Thanks, I will write a short note there.

I think if enough of us write in to let them know, they may be more aware of this.  Whether they will actually implement it is a different story.

New Visitor
alcimedes

So far, the following ISP's have tested as SuperHD ready by actual users.

• Cablevision
  • Google Fibre
  • Midcontinent ISP
  • Sonic.net in the SF Bay Area
  • Merit network? (someone's dorm room)
  • Burlington Telecom
  • Suddenlink
  • University of Florida
New Visitor
CIS216

COMCAST....anybody who uses Netflix is going to want the SUPER HD they're offering.  That's such a large number of people.   DO IT.  

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

most hd channels are broadcast in 720 which is what you see now.  netflix also broadcasts in 720 if you have your quality set to high.    the average person cannot tell the difference between that and 1080

(See the link) a viewer sitting 8-10 feet won't see ANY DIFFERENCE beteen a 1080p and 720p HDTV until the screen size is at least 50" (and many won't reliably see a difference until 65").

Source(s):

people just want it like the article says because they think its better.    the marketing folks of the big tv manufactureres have been pulling that one over on the public for years.  More and faster is always better. 
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Most newer Netflix devices do support 1080p and it has been available for quite awhile. On many devices, you can get the quality level, which displays as X-High/HD, High/HD, etc... It used to be that X-High/HD was 1080p. A month or so ago, Netflix re-encoded their videos with a new algorithm to allow a lower bitrate. The highest is now High/HD, but it's supposedly still 1080p. I'm guessing the new SuperHD is just 1080p at a higher bitrate.

It's all about $$. Netflix is pushing their own CDN to reduce costs, and is also why they reduced the bitrate for the other CDN's.

New Visitor
grivad

Well, Comcast ranks higher than CableVision in Netflix's ISP rankings:

http://blog.netflix.com/2012/12/november-isp-rankings-for-usa.html

So, I'd imagine if CableVision is in, and Comcast ranks higher, that Comcast would be capable of supporting SuperHD and 3D.  I think they just need to up their caps and join the network/set up the hardware/software (https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect/hardware , https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect/software , https://netflix.hs.llnwd.net/e1/us/layout/signup/deviceinfo/OpenConnectDeploymentGuide-v2.4a.pdf).

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Yeah I was wondering what happened to the X-High/HD thingy. Whats funny is my PS3 upconverts everything to 1080p so how will I be able to tell the difference when I'm watching a video that is upconverted to 1080p currently and a video that truely is 1080p natively?

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Contributor
UTHorsey

[ Edited ]

You can add University of Washington to that list as well.  And thanks Mike for the link to the request thread, I'll check that out.

Contributor
UTHorsey

Rog, I appriciate your input, but I have to speak up on a few things.   I started this thread before the other thread was started and I didn't start it in a forum meant for the Xfinity TV website, since it has nothing to do with that.  Additionally, there is in general, more information presented in this thread than the one you linked to.  

More importantly, why are you so quick to dismiss this issue?  You say that only google fibre and cablevision support Open Connect, but that's simply false.  There are a handful of companies that support it, and more that intend on joining Open Connect (Time Warner for example is in talks with Netflix - http://www.multichannel.com/cable-operators/twc-netflix-withholding-content-gain-unprecedented-acces...  Netflix can and does broadcast in 1080p, as another posted mentioned, many devices support 1080p streaming (including PS3 which has sold somewhere around 30 million in the US).  

I have a 55" 3d tv, I can certainly tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.  I think that it's pretty ignorant of you to suggest that there's no discernable difference.  Don't try and tell us what we want.  People who are posting here aren't stupid, or we wouidn't care about this technology in the first place.

Oh, and the photobucket link you provided has nothing to do with resolution.  It just just a jpg showing different aspect ratios.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

I wrote to Comcast using the customer feedback link that was provided to me via chat.  Here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting the Office of Rick Germano. My name is Christina and I will be more than happy to assist you today. I am genuinely sorry for the inconvenience that Comcast is not using Neflix open. I can understand your frustration and I would be frustrated as well if was unable to watch Super HD and 3D streaming from Netflix. You have reached the right person and I will definitely be able to address your request for Comcast to become a part of the Open Connect System so that you can enjoy Super HD quality on Netflix and I will use the resources I have available to me.

I understand that you would like for Comcast to join Netflix Open CDN so that you can watch Super HD and 3D streaming and that is an excellent idea. We value knowing that you appreciate our service, and thank you for taking the time to contact us with your insightful feedback. We take all requests for programming very seriously, and that we carefully consider the overall impact of the customer's viewing experience. While we cannot honor every request, we do take each request into consideration in planning future changes here at Comcast. I will forward your request to your local market for further review. We do take each request into consideration in planning future changes. You will only be contacted if further information is needed."

While it's a partially canned reply, it does seem someone at Comcast might be aware that this is available now.

I watch on a 73" DLP TV, so I too can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.  I watch Netflix via a Roku 2 XS and on my PS3.  I have also watched Vudu on my PS3 and can tell those feeds are of a higher quality than Netflix.

Contributor
UTHorsey

Thanks for that radiobern.  I think what it comes down to (partially at least) is folks like us simply asking for the service (which is exactly what Netflix wants).   

Visitor
jmcquadesr

[ Edited ]

well this lower prices or drive them higher? If they spread out the bandwidt hwith this "free" solution, We will gain a lesser bill?

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Well from what I understand the physical hardware Comcast would need to use is free, as is the software that runs on it and there's no field maintenance either so aside fro the initial plugging in, I think that would be the only thing Comcast would  need to worry about.

Contributor
UTHorsey

[ Edited ]

I can't imagine them lowering the prices.  Heck, price shouldn't be a factor now, but it still is.  Many European countries (on average) pay less per month and have higher broadband speeds.  Japan blows the US out of the water.  

US broadband companies charge more simply because they can.

http://dailyinfographic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/the-beauty-of-infographics.jpeg

I
 should also add, that in many locations, ISP's have a complete lock on the market.  In the area that I live, Comcast is literally the only provider other than satallite internet, which last time I checked was very expensive for pretty mediocre speeds.

Visitor

Netflix Open Connect network

When will Comcast be joining the Netflix Open Connect network so that we may receive 1080p HD and 3D streaming movies from Netflix?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Netflix Open Connect network

[ Edited ]
Visitor

There's 1080p and then there's 1080p.  I'm not talking about the low bitrate 1080p they're streaming, I'm referring to the 7Mbps SuperHD that can only be achieved with Open Connect.  And 3D is not an option without Open Connect. 

I'm hoping someone from Comcast will give an answer.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

https://signup.netflix.com/superhd the checker

More information https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect

It just seems like Comcast wants to be stubborn.

New Visitor
djmt2001

Netflix open connect network

So for those of us that have 3D tv's and netflix, we can't use the 3D service netflix provides because comcast is too cheap to join netflix's open connect network ( which wont cost them anything ). So why is it that prices keep going up yet we can't use our internet service for what we want to use it for? Come on Comcast get it together. Join the open connect network, your customers will be happy about it. 

New Visitor

3d open connect to support netflx 3d comcast

Netflix needs open connect or a port opened to utilize their 3d movies. Comcast is blind to this even though some of the people heard of it when they switch you to the dept sales to do it sales is dumbfounded. Anyone know if its something comcast offers ... they sure dont know.

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: 3d open connect to support netflx 3d comcast

[ Edited ]

Merge of original thread caused a reference within this thread to itself...removed link...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

um kevj the url you posted is of the thread we're currently in. Looped.

Networking Expert
kevj

MikeWolf wrote:

um kevj the url you posted is of the thread we're currently in. Looped.

What actually happened is that the thread I responded to got moved to and merged with this one, and my post came along with it...

Thanks for the head's up..I have edited the unecessary post...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

ah no problem. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
jbrianas

as i see it , netflix = 7.99 per month unlimited movies/shows

comcast = 5.99 per movie

in no way are they going to support the competition that can blow them outa the water and take a piece of thier pie

Email Expert
CCCarole

Troll or spam Trolls are individuals who start inflammatory threads or post rude or offensive messages for the purpose of disrupting a discussion or to upset other forum participants. Trolling behavior includes purposely harassing a particular member, employee, moderator, or administrator, sending them rude or unwanted private messages, etc.. This may include emails and/or phone calls to Comcast, Comcast employees or any variation of, Lithium, Lithium employees or any variation of. Trolls risk having their posts removed and may be banned from participating in the forums. Similarly, repeated posting of a message (or very similar messages) multiple times is considered spamming and is prohibited. This includes posting for the sole purpose of gaining a higher post count or rank. Spamming may also include, but is not limited to, any of the following 8. Use Inappropriate content Messages containing religious, racially, or sexually offensive content, profanity, insults, or other inappropriate content will be removed; the member’s posting privileges may also be revoked.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Carole, thank you for removing the spam post in this topic and leaving a placeholder stating why it was removed. I noticed the same message was posted 5 other times in other threads and these were also removed.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am in Oakland, CA with Comcast Business Class. I have been able to recieve SuperHD from netflix. I ran this test 20 minutes ago from the time of this post.
superhd-comcast.jpg

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I just tried with my regular residental, and it says it doesn't have SuperHD. Have you tried a device to see if you are actually getting the SuperHD feed?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are you using a standard DNS setting, and not one of the DNS services that will direct you to the Super HD CDNs?

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

Good question KeenanSR. Also what are the DNS addresses you are using rhettf?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can confirm I have gotten super HD via my Tivo Premier DVR. I can see a major quality difference from regular Netflix HD. 3D works too. 

I roll my own Internal DNS server and am behind a sonicwall. The DNS server connects to OpenDNS for external zones. 

Whats interesting is that at my office 3 miles away from my home (which is also comcast business class) says I don't get Super HD. the network setup is indentical too. 

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

How can you tell you are getting SuperHD on the Premiere? On both of mine the "SuperHD" badge is on alot of videos, but my PS3 and Windows 8 computer and website says I don't. The PS3 and Windows 8 computer have a dynamic "SuperHD" badge which appears automatically if it's able to connect to the special server. Try to play "Example Short 23.976" and "Example Short 23.976 Clear" and see what bitrate you get. I think if it's SuperHD it's supposed to be in the high 5800kbps range.

Contributor

I'll run those test tonight, My slingbox can only handle 720p and goes black once I hit 1080p/24f.

Visitor

MikeWolf,

Does the "SuperHD" badge appear on the Netflix player screen (Windows 8)?  I bypassed the Comcast DNS servers and Netflix now reports that I can receive Super HD.

I have a 20Mbps connection.  I'm playing something that has SuperHD and DD5.1 on the movie info page but bringing up the Stream Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S) shows a bitrate of 3.85Mbps.  The 5.1 surround works great but the picture is so-so.  The "Example Short 23.976" shows a peak rate of 5.8Mbps at 1080x1920.  No mention of SuperHD anywhere.

Bronze Star Contributor

Re: Netflix open connect network

djmt2001 wrote:

So for those of us that have 3D tv's and netflix, we can't use the 3D service netflix provides because comcast is too cheap to join netflix's open connect network ( which wont cost them anything ). So why is it that prices keep going up yet we can't use our internet service for what we want to use it for? Come on Comcast get it together. Join the open connect network, your customers will be happy about it. 

I am now just waiting for AT&T Uverse or Verizon FIOS to move to my area (expected within 12 months). Then I lose Comcast completely. They either need to support their customer's technology or expect to start losing customers.

Bronze Star Contributor

jbrianas wrote:

as i see it , netflix = 7.99 per month unlimited movies/shows

comcast = 5.99 per movie

in no way are they going to support the competition that can blow them outa the water and take a piece of thier pie

Keeping in mind that the Netflix movies that are streamed is not anywhere near a comprehensive (or new in most cases) library-and does not really compete with the On Demand movies-now that Redbox on every corner.... I am a heavy Netflix user, I also watch current season shows on Dish (since Comcast won't support all the features Dish does), and Netflix is a great place to go back and watch earlier episodes to "catch up" on a series that may have been on for awhile but I missed the first few seasons.

Bronze Star Contributor

johnty wrote:

MikeWolf,

Does the "SuperHD" badge appear on the Netflix player screen (Windows 8)?  I bypassed the Comcast DNS servers and Netflix now reports that I can receive Super HD.

I have a 20Mbps connection.  I'm playing something that has SuperHD and DD5.1 on the movie info page but bringing up the Stream Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S) shows a bitrate of 3.85Mbps.  The 5.1 surround works great but the picture is so-so.  The "Example Short 23.976" shows a peak rate of 5.8Mbps at 1080x1920.  No mention of SuperHD anywhere.

How do you bypass the Comcast DNS server? I get speed tests here of 17Mpbs (give or take a few hundredths)...if it is the DNS server...

New Visitor
grivad

[ Edited ]

I tried setting my router to use OpenDNS, the Netflix SuperHD test page still tells me my provider is not set up for it.

Which DNS servers are people using?  How are people getting SuperHD at all?

Edit: Latest speedtest tells me I'm getting 56.42 down, 11.86 up -- more than enough to handle SuperHD.

Visitor

I'm using "unblock-us dot com" on a trial basis.  Once you set up your wireless router (or Windows 8 PC) with the DNS numbers they give you, Netflix reports that your ISP supports Super HD.  I've only tested with Windows 8.  $5/mo after a trial period.

I'm also going to try "unoDNS".  Same sort of service, same price, but sounds like if might be an even better performer.

Contributor

I have a PS3 and a 3D TV. Come on Comcast, open the trottle on 3D. Netflix says it is free with subscription.

Recognized Contributor
MikeWolf

[ Edited ]

johnty wrote:

MikeWolf,

OOn my Comcast network the Windows 8 Netflix app doesn't show the Super HD badge when using Comcast's default DNS servers, but if I bypass it and use a third party DNS server such as unblock-us with that free trial, it does, along with my PS3 and TiVo Premieres and anything else I can get my paws on. http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/fe/350x700px-LL-fefaa874_image.jpeg http://cdn.avsforum.com/b/b6/350x700px-LL-b6c56f5e_PS3-Display.jpeg My TiVo's for some reason show the Super HD badge regardless of weither I'm able to access the Super HD videos on Comcast or not which is wierd since I'm now back on Comcasts non supported DNS addresses. What someone needs to do is get a third party DNS server host that is SuperHD supportive like unblock-us does, only without the subscription requirement.
Contributor

I doubt there are any tricks or backdoors to getting Netflix Open Content. It will take Comcast to change its policies and permit the content to go to it's subscribers.  It has just been a rather long time since 3D content has been available.  One of the reasons I love my PS3s.  I have 2.

With the PS4 just around the corner, isn't it time for Comcast to show some moxie?  Does 3D really consume that much bandwidth?

Just did a Speakeasy Speetest and can't do much better than better than 7 Mbps.  Could be partly peek time in my Olympia, WA neighborhood.