Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

TV on my PC

I want to get a card so I can watch TV on my PC.  However I do NOT wnat to have to have the little digital cable box in line.  I want to be able to control the channels etc with Windows Media Center and not have to use a remote control for any sort fo cabel box.  Anyone know of such a card?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: TV on my PC

No card needed.

Just open your browser and go to Comcast.net.

Click on TV Listings on the right

Find stuff you want to watch and click on it then click "OnLIne"

Mahn Series Episodes and movies are available

If you click on Channel 1 you can get into the On Demand stuff most of which is free.

Some stuff is for a Fee and some stuff is only availabl if you have a Subscription to the channel.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thank you.  I appreciate your feedback.  However when I go to comcast.net I do not see a link for TV Listings.  I do see "Find all TV Listing in your area".  When I click that, I see a listing similar to the program guide on the TV.  Then I click on a program I want to watch and when it expands I only have a "Watch on TV" option.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to set up this computer as authorized to view on oline maybe?

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

I just tried that too, a box appears to the right on some shows with "More ways to watch" and yes I think you do have to register the computer for streaming.

Click settings at the bottom and you are allowed to register 3 computers.

(I think it would be better if they could stream live tv though).

Email Expert
CCCarole

F.W.I.W.

I think Paraniod is correct about registering.  Went through the links, and I am signed in.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor

Well I was asking in the original post about watching LIVE TV.  Nver did I say I wanted to watch past episodes etc.  Notice I said I want a TV card (aka TV Tuner).  SO back to my original question I guess.  Is there a TV card that allows me to watch LIVE TV on my PC without avbing to have one of the Comcast cable boxes of any sort?

BTW I cant figure out how to 'regiter' a computer.  It says I have three available (none used) but I see no link to rtegiter a computer.

Networking Expert
kevj

Digital TVs allow you to connect your cable directly to the coax connector, and see stations, so I would presume that any digital TV tuner card would be capable of the same thing...check with vendors before buying however...

A Google search for "digital TV card" brings up a lot of hits, so you may want to start your search there...Hauppauge are a major manufacturer of this type of equipment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks.  I was not sure if simply a digital card woudl suffice or if I would need something speical for however it is the comcast encrypts its signal (if it even does).  I'll check into this.  Thanks again...

Bronze Star Contributor

Does this card look like it woudl do the trick?

http://store.hauppauge.com/hardware2.asp?product=hvr2250

If so, what are the key features that tell me it is what I am looking for?

Thank you

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If you just want to tune in the few remaining clear QAM channels, then that one or even a USB digital clear QAM tuner would work.  Many of these are on the shelf at major electronic retailers.

If you want to tune in all the encrypted channels on your Comcast digital TV package, then you need one of the very recent tuners with a cable card slot, and rent a cable card from Comcast at a additional monthly fee.  Or if you replace one of your Comcast set top boxes with a cable card the monthly fee would be the same.

This would be like the following:

http://cetoncorp.com

http://silicondust.com

Hauppauge is supposed to be coming out with one also.

Bronze Star Contributor

OK that is very useful info.  I will start looking around for TV Tuners with the cable card slot.  Seems that it is pretty new technology at this point and it is priced for early adapters.  As trhe price reaches something more in line with what I am willing to pay I will jump in.  BTW, do you knwo what Comcast charges for the cable card assuming you already have the limit of free digitial boxes?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Cable Card prices still vary by region and also if you can do a self install, or a tech needs to come out.

They used to be 1.50 a month in many area's, recently the prices went up to the same price as an additional digital set top box, 7.95 to 9.25 in many area's.

Bronze Star Contributor

The install should be no problem.  I have been building PC and networks since the day of sneaker net.  I'll look up the prices in my area (central VA).  Thanks for the feedback.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

JayInAlg wrote:

If you just want to tune in the few remaining clear QAM channels, then that one or even a USB digital clear QAM tuner would work.  Many of these are on the shelf at major electronic retailers.

If you want to tune in all the encrypted channels on your Comcast digital TV package, then you need one of the very recent tuners with a cable card slot, and rent a cable card from Comcast at a additional monthly fee.  Or if you replace one of your Comcast set top boxes with a cable card the monthly fee would be the same.

This would be like the following:

http://cetoncorp.com

http://silicondust.com

Hauppauge is supposed to be coming out with one also.

Thats interesting info thanks, woudn't mind one myself. I'll keep my eye out for the Hauppauge!

New Visitor
SwingCorey

I was recently informed by a Comcast customer service rep that the monthly fee is $1.50, but I *must* pay for a service tech to install the CableCard into my PVR (PC TV tuner) card, for a fee of $29.95!  When I asked if why I couldn't just do the install myself (it *is* just sliding the CableCard into the slot of the TV tuner card, after all), she said that the tech has to do it, because it's a special install.

I'm looking into ways of getting a card (like the Hauppauge HVR-1600) to use its IR blaster on the Comcast DTA box.  Unfortunately, the Hauppauge rep said, "the IR blaster on the HVR-1600 has issues with the new Comcast DTA boxes. The boxes use a different IR protocol and our blaster can’t control it. We have tried to see a way around it but have not found any solutions.  Using a Media Center IR blaster has a better success rate..."

So, I'm still searching.  Let me know what you find.  I've been using my PC as a DVR for the past 4 years, when it was analog cable, and I loved it.  Now, this "complimentary" digital conversion is going to cost me $50 or more, depending on what solution I go with... just as the summer seasons are starting on USA and TNT!

Networking Expert
Baric

The only reason Comcast needs a tech to install the card is they need to register the card with the back end and I think they need some kind of information from the devicee the card is installed in (although they would never tell me exactly what was needed),  which you can provide as well as the tech.  It took them 3 days to get the CableCard working in my TV, the process is very, very manual and prone to error, not to mention some of the techs have no clue what they are doing.

Comcast should really be ashamed of themselves for still having problems getting CableCards installed, it's not like they are some fancy new thing no one has seen before.

Recognized Contributor
halfband

A recent FCC rule change will require a self install kit be made available for cable cards.  This will show up probably around the August time frame for comcast.  For those who want to use a DTA the Avermedia cards with an ir lrblaster can control one from mediacenter just fine.

New Visitor
erikmccloud

To do what you want you'll need a TV Tuner card that accepts CableCard. You'll get the CableCard directly from Comcast.

A list of tuner cards is here at Newegg.com.
That should get you started. Obviously, there are lots of price points for different features. Keep an eye out for the older ones, most don't do HD.

New Visitor
Fillet

If you have multiple PCs on a home network then you want to take a look at SiliconDust's HDHomeRun.

It's an external box smaller than your cable modem... Run a splitter, one line to the cable modem and the other to the HDHomeRun...  The HDHomeRun outputs directly to your home networks and can be accessed via Windows Media Center on PCs and Xbox.  Macs and Linux systems need additional software.  The box works with direct cable input (qam) or Antenna.

The HDHomeRun has two tuners and the output resolution is up to 1080i.  With two tuners you can have two users watching different channels or watch one with another recording.  If you use WMC and have a Windows Home Server the recordings can be stored directly to the server.  Once there, all WMC systems and Xboxes on the network can view the program simultaneously.

The box list price is $129.99.  Later this year the company is releasing a 3 tuner with CableCard (needed for premium channels) for $249.99.  Multiple units can co-exist on a network for additional tuner availability.