New Visitor
cabezahead

Annoying calls from comcast - 800 266-2278

Anyone else get these? Not sure what to do. I ignore the calls several times and they never leave messages. Eventually, I started picking up the phone. Several times I told the poor fool on the other end that I'm not interested in a comcast land line. I still get the calls, sometimes multiple times per week. Today, saturday morning, I got a call at 8am that woke me up.

I'm strongly considering cancelling my service. Does anyone have any insight into making these calls stop? This has been going on for almost a year. Blocking the numbers don't really work because they keep changing.

Seriously, is comcast trolling me?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Annoying calls from comcast - 800 266-2278

Note what I have changed to red text:

How can I register my phone number to stop receiving telemarketing calls?

You can register for the National Do Not Call Registry by going to www.donotcall.gov, or by calling 1-888-382-1222 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            1-888-382-1222     end_of_the_skype_highlighting.  Please be aware that you may still receive calls from companies that you have an existing (or recent) business relationship with, such as Comcast.  If you are a Comcast customer and prefer not to receive telemarketing calls directly from Comcast, you can request that your phone number be placed on Comcast's Do Not Call list.  Contact your local Comcast office or call 1-800-COMCAST begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            1-800-COMCAST     end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
cabezahead

Thanks for your help!

New Visitor
SFRussell

I'm on the Do Not Call Directory and STILL get calls constantly from this number.   It doesn't matter if you're on the directory when they are using computers to robo-dial.  I simply never answer them.  I'll get a barage of calls for a week and then none for a while.  You just have to ignore them.  

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

The next time they call, tell them to put you on their Do Not Call list. Also call Comcast and ask them to put you on their internal Do Not Call list. If you continue to get calls, drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com). 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

Contributor
bunny4882

I think this is happening because my new phone number previously belonged to someone who didn't pay his/her bills. I'm getting numerous collection calls from various collection agencies. Most of them have stopped calling after I chatted with a real person. When I called Comcast, I of course inquired about my own account, and the rep could find no basis for the "friendly reminder". I'm trying now to get Comcast to track the account of the previous user of my phone number.

New Visitor
Tempted1

I recieved a call from this number at 4:12 am.  no one talked just heard background noise and voices and no one replied.

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

Although this costs money, there is a nifty gizmo that allows one to block virtually ANY telephone number, an entire area code, or just a prefix.  I used to get calls from area code "000" (hello .. can you say "spoofed number" ?).

The device is called CallerID with RingController.  Has many other features such as programming it so your phone won't ring during certain time periods, etc.

Costs about $95.  A company called Smart Home (might be SmartHome - google it) sells them.  Or did.  This being political robo call time, it's cool.  Only works with landline or VOIP phones, however.

commanguy

Just checked out that site quickly. The CallerID unit mentioned has been discontinued.

New Visitor

The calls are from the service department at Comcast. I received three on my voicemail (we dont answer our phone) Appears after three no contacts, they will again call your number and a message is actually left on your machine....annoying? yes, the end of the world? doubt it....

Email Expert
CCCarole

Call 1-800 comcast and ask them to put you on the INTERNAL do not call list.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
Matt198013

I received a call from this number earlier this week, apparently Comcast believes that it is acceptable behavior to call you at 1 AM on a Tuesday and not leave a voice mail and then cancel your service appointment because "you couldn't be reached".

New Visitor
AberAdvisors

I'm getting the same daily/several times a day calls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
ScottN1

Is this phone number only for telemarketing or does Comcast use it for other things too, like just trying to get ahold of their members for service issues or payments?

New Visitor

Thank you all for the great tips. Next time I will tell them to take me off thier "Call List" and follow up with comcast customer service.

I'm more embarrassed that I held on the line not once but twice.... Shame on me!!

Maybe it's the CIA buggin' my phone??? LOL

New Visitor
potatoes2004

[ Edited ]

The other reason you may be getting calls from this number is that you actually owe Comcast money--your monthly bill is past due or only partially paid. When I start receiving lots of calls from 800 266-2278, that is usually why.

When I call back, I receive a pre-recorded greeting which does in fact say something about Xfinity, but then goes on to tell me that balance of my account is $XXX and of that amount $XX is past due. At that point I hang up, go to Comcast.com, and pay online. The phone calls stop after that.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

What if you do not owe Comcast money and still have the problem. When we dropped Comcast HD TV cable service and returned to satellite TV service. The called almost never stopped. We done the Comcast in house do not list. That did not work. All that worked for us is do not answer the phone. I recived calls from 6:30 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. Now 2 years later no Comcast call. Hope this helps others.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

That number is also used by the people that will call back if you used the we_can_help email address.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Thanks commanguy.

That number is also used by the people that will call back if you used the we_can_help email address.

We did not know that, and others may not either. We do not use we_can_help email address, chat, or other Comcast so called services. We live in a Comcast only community, Just pay and be happy with what Comcast does to you.

New Visitor
dllaforge63

I can't believe it is 2 years later and this scammer is still able to use the same phone number to conduct the same scam. I called Comcast to reprot the scam and operator said to use common sense. I think that Comcast should take steps when there is a reported scammer out there to warn customers and to report the scam. Some of the Comcast customers are elderly and do not understand that this is a scam.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

dllaforge63

Do you have any details of the scam that you would care to share on the forums? Public information can be useful to anyone that finds this and can warn elderly people they know.

New Visitor

oh, that's who it was??  they didn't leave a message.  they are coming to the house tomorrow so i guess they were calling to confirm...

Regular Visitor

I lost signal last night, cable and internet. I called Comcast to see how long the outage would be and was asked if i would like a call from Comcast during business hours when the problem is resolved. I generally work at night, I often get a credit when this happens. It is not collection or harrassment call. 

Contributor

If you are already doing business with a company, they are allowed to call you even if you are on the do not call registery. You have to call that company you do not want the calls. Someone already posted how.

New Visitor
Shogan888

I've been receiving is,ilar calls (on my cell phone) for weeks. No coherent message left. I called back during business hours and the only thing they could tell me is that someone opened up my account by mistake. She told me it would stop. I received three more calls last night. After seeing how far back this post goes ON comcasts, and the problem not getting fixed, it's time to create a lawsuit. It is understandable they can make mistakes, but not being able to fix is not acceptable. This is harassment.
New Visitor
Ravener

Literally 9 calls between 1224pm and 1229pm.  I was in the middle of something so when I finally answer on the 10th call...nothing.  Nobody there.  I assume it was an error with their autodialer, but whatever it was they wanted, now they're blocked so they'll never get it.  Bill is not past due, paid more than the minimum amount last payment and next bill isn't due til next month.

Generally content with Comcast services but they need to get a handle on this caca.

New Visitor
fleeneak

I didn't even know this was comcast until I googled the phone number.  caller id showed the number but nothing else.  I also got repeated calls, daily and ignored them at first then when I would answer i would hear nothing at all. no matter how long I stayed on the line saying hello... i can't hear you (which wasn't very long) so I added 'do not call this number again'.  we'll see what happens.  I think its criminal that we have to tell them NOT to call especially since we are already paying them for services....

New Visitor
J_Roylance

I had these same calls. These were generated by my alarm system. I had lost power and my alarm did not connect back to xfinity correctly. If you have an alarm...this may be your issue. Just an FYI!  

Contributor
osnv

Regardless, alarm or not, calls at 1am are illegal. Call Comcast and ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list. Also, ask them to mail you their Do Not Call policy. If you don't get it or the calls continue, according to the TCPA you are entitiled to $500 per occurence should you choose to file a claim in court. Just keep documentation of all your conversations to present your evidence to a judge.
Contributor

If you are getting calls at 1am,it is NOT Comcast. It is more likely that it is some scam artist spoofing the caller ID. No legit company is going to call before 8am or after 9pm.

Just because it shows on your caller ID, doesn't mean that is the person/company calling you. You can install an illegal app on your Android or Jail broke iPhone and put in any number you want to display.

File a complaint if you want, but Comcast can prove it wasn't them at 1am.
New Visitor

I got a call today from this number. BTW, this number translates to 1-800-COMCAST, so it is their main number. Anyway, I did not answer and they did not leave a voice mail. Then I realized I have an appointment tomorrow and called them back. It asked me to confirm that I do want the appointment which I did. I now think they called to confirm my appointment.

Regular Visitor
judymcreynolds

Are u sure that comcast is calling and its a scam how do you know Im JUST as king as I get THESE calls all day & im thinking of switching companies! Please post back
Contributor

To know if it is really Comcast or not, you need to answer the phone. If it is before 8:00am or after 9:00pm, it is not likely them.
New Visitor
jimbonw

I actually wrote an email to the CEO and others.. with a straight up complaint. I put them on notice that I did not want anymore calls about anything from Comcast. I told them I was advising them if I got one more call I would put them on the Do Not Call registry.. .. I haven't gotten anymore.. until this morning.. so. another email is out!..

New Visitor
avalonbob

My phone has been ringing all day with this number and I haven't answered it because I do not answer "toll free calls" or callers who do not identify themselves. It turns out this number is Comcast themselves, reminding me of a service call I have scheduled in the morning. Wouldn't you think a company as major as Comcast would have the common sense to identify themselves on Called I.D? 

New Visitor
mknight1219

I don't think most of these calls you are getting are from Comcast at all. I just got a call that appeared to be coming from that number according to my caller ID, but it also said Unaivailable for the name, which doesn't really make sense. The main thing that flags it, though, is the conversation I had.

The lady called and asked for my wife. I then told her my name and she asked if I was able to make decisions on the account and I said I was. She then told me that she was calling in relation to an install of service at a new location she suggested we were moving to. I then told her that that didn't make any sense and she hung up immediately without another word.

Why would Comcast call about something, get things completely wrong, and then hang up without any explanation?

I looked up the issue more and saw several people explaining the possibility that this kind of call with that number could be a hoax.

Here's a post on Comcast's forum: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Voice-Service-and-Equipment/Comcast-phone-service-scam/td-p/1476055

And here's another post about the issue: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-266-2278

New Visitor
jimbonw

now this is customer service? Nah. Comcast reply person.. Why the heck don't you take care of THIS customer right now? Why don't YOU call them NOW.. ??  That would be REAL customer service.. You are providing lip service to CS.. that is why the list of ugly comments regarding CS is so long!.. Get real here. .perform.. PERFORM..don't just go through the motions..