Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Arris TG862G Backup Battery

I have triple play and my new modem did not come with a backup battery.  I called CC support and they told me they no longer give out batteries for free and it would cost me $40.00.  I told them no thanks.  Then I got to thinking what do you do when power goes out and there is an emergency I cannot call 911 because My phone will not work.  That does not seem right to me.  That should be a standard thing to come with the modem.  It's no different than turning off your cell phone service but the phone can still dial 911.  Am I wrong to think this?

Contributor
ztraderx

Where is the battery!

[ Edited ]

The Comast tech installed my TM822 phone/internet modem tonight.  He asked where is the battery?  I said here is the box.

I called Comcast phone support and was told; Comast is no longer shipping the battery with the equipment.  You have to pay about $35 for the battery plus shipping. 

Is that true?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Where is the battery!

Unfortunately yes, it's true..

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Are you sure? I thought Comcast was charging for REPLACEMENT batteries, but all eMTA's should come with a battery when installed at a customer's location.

Contributor
rbrusuelas

No, I just picked up the Arris TC 862 and while the girl at the store gave me the phone anyway she said Comcast charges for them.  Insane if you ask me, but my experience with Comcast from the get go has been insane.

Connection Expert
EG

andyross wrote:

Are you sure? I thought Comcast was charging for REPLACEMENT batteries, but all eMTA's should come with a battery when installed at a customer's location.

That's what I've been reading.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Re: Arris TG862G Backup Battery

The modems are supposed to come with a backup battery, yes for 911.

The 800 number becomes more useless every day. 

Try picking one up at your local office.

Regular Contributor

Great another trip to my favorite place. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

There have been other reports that new modems are shipping without batteries now.

Regular Contributor

The sad thing is I picked this modem up at my local CCSC. Now I have to go stand in line another hour for the battery.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I got one, no battery, but lets think about this.  Most people have a a cordless phone system with a base that controls all the handsets.  If there is no power they dont work, so even if you had a battery in your modem what good would it do you?   without power to the base unit you have nothing,.. also we all have cell phones now so again the battery is useles

Regular Contributor

rog286713 wrote:

I got one, no battery, but lets think about this.  Most people have a a cordless phone system with a base that controls all the handsets.  If there is no power they dont work, so even if you had a battery in your modem what good would it do you?   without power to the base unit you have nothing,.. also we all have cell phones now so again the battery is useles

Yeah lets think about this.  Thanks for assuming I only have cordless phones.  I have both thank you.  Also lets think about this.  My daughter is 12 and has no cell phone so when she is home by herself for an hour or so after school and power goes out and god for bid something happens.  Im supposed to go oh well, I should of shelled out another $50.00 or more  a month for a cell phone.  YEAH RIGHT!  What about the elderly that don't even know how to work a cell phone or don't have a cordless phone.  Im sorry but your logic is flawed.  Nice try.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

well thats your own issue.  If you choose to have only cordless phones in your home  no matter what when the power goes out you have no service, it does not matter what provider you have, no power no phone.  the only way to have a phone if you hav VoIP phone service is to have a phone that is plugged directly into the modem.  most folks have cells phones.  If you are concerned about your daughters lack of access you can add her to any cell phone plan for 9.99 a month not 50.00 as you sated.  this is not unique to comcast but tio any provider. do some research and you wil find all this out  battery means nothing in your modem if you have a new cordless phone set with handsets this is just how it is I am just stating to you the obvious.    it it might not be obvious to you but it is to most

Regular Contributor
gr82cu

rog........maybe you should go back and read again what you are replying to. The OP just stated to you that he/she does not only have cordless phones, but corded phones as well. They also stated they have a 12 year old daughter with no cell phone. Maybe they do not want their daughter to have a cell phone at 12 years old or maybe like me they do not have an overpriced cell phone plan. I personally have a cell phone plan that is much cheaper and just as reliable but does not offer the opporutunity to "add" people. The plain and simple of it is that I would think if a modem comes with the opening for a battery then one would be in it if you are renting it month by month, but CC isn't about to do anything extra for their customers....that is a certainty you can bank on.

EB

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

I got an Arris TG862G from the tech that came when I upgraded to triple-play last December. After he left when I logged into the modem to check the status and noticed that it indicated that I had no battery. That was verified when I removed the cover on the battery compartment in the modem.

I got this message when I contacted customer support: "Please contact this department so they can send you battery for your modem: Battery Replacement Group contact number: (1-800-948-5385)."

I contacted them and received a free battery in the mail.

Note: if you are getting XFINITY Voice the modem is supposed to have the battery so you have phone service if the modem loses power.

New Visitor
bahb

With my latest bill i received a notice that Comcast is adding a monthly charge for monitoring my battery and will be sending me a new one, at my  additional expense, when the current one expires.

Does anyone know how long the current battery will last?  Is $40 for a new battery a reasonable price?

I'm a new Comcast customer and wonder if  Comcast operates like DISH......the monthly upcharges to a two-year contract begin happening with the first bill after installation.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

You are entitled to a backup battery at no charge for your modem. Call the number posted above and have one sent to you.

Also, no Comcast moderator will jump in and post that you are not supposed to get a backup battery for 911 service during a power failure.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

barbie123 wrote:

You are entitled to a backup battery at no charge for your modem. Call the number posted above and have one sent to you.

Also, no Comcast moderator will jump in and post that you are not supposed to get a backup battery for 911 service during a power failure.

Umm well sorry but.....

Comcast no longer supplies batteries for telephony modems. This is a recent change.

"Get a new battery

If you would like to order a battery or replace a depleted battery, please call us at 1-888-972-1261. A new battery may be purchased for $35.00 plus taxes and a $5.95 shipping fee. The new battery will be sent to you and arrive in about 7-10 business days."

See: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/phone/getting-a-new-battery/

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Well, if you call, they will send you a free battery, see mistereds post above.

I also just received a new modem, came with a battery.

If that is their new policy, I would like to see what is going to happen the first time someone tries to call 911 during a power failure with a real emergency. 

I see huge lawsuit.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

barbie123 wrote:

Well, if you call, they will send you a free battery, see mistereds post above.

I also just received a new modem, came with a battery.

If that is their new policy, I would like to see what is going to happen the first time someone tries to call 911 during a power failure with a real emergency. 

I see huge lawsuit.

Yeah I hear ya'. It sounds crazy to me. I guess Comcast isn't worried about lawsuits.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Just to add a little to this story.

My modem came with a small battery that said it was good for 4 hours of backup.

There was a sticker on the battery that said I could order an 8 hour battery at my expense.

Regular Contributor
gr82cu

[ Edited ]

I could be wrong but the way I interpreted the info on the batteries was that they would no longer be replacing batteries once they expired but read nothing that the new modems would not come with a battery. You never know with CC though. Two different people can call CC CS at the same time with identical problems and get two completely different outcomes.....soooooo......

EB

Regular Problem Solver

I just called the number I posted above. Comcast's policy has changed. Starting February 26, 2013 new XFINITY Voice customers are required to purchase the modem's backup battery.

Regular Contributor
gr82cu

Sure enough...I just unboxed my new modem and no battery. I am shocked by this to be honest with you. Even for CC that is a little over the top. I could understand them not wanting to replace old batteries but considering how many times over you pay for these modems during rental this is ridiculous. They have convinced me to head to BB and just buy one and be done with it.  I probably should have done that long ago anyway.......

EB

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Last I heard, you cannot buy telephone(EMTA) modems. Those are the ones that need a battery.

Regular Contributor
gr82cu

Yes, you can buy them from select Best Buy locations. ----->VOIP Modems

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Good to know.

When you turn in your modem, get a receipt and make sure they remove it from your account.

Connection Expert
EG

Also always double check with your local service center to see if customer owned eMTA's are allowed to be used on your local system. Some local franchises still do not and require that you rent one from CC.

Regular Contributor
gr82cu

I go a step further barbie...I video everything and keep all receipts. I also ask for permission to and then record all phone conversations with anything to do with business. I learned some harsh lessons earlier in life and am determined to not repeat them. :smileywink:

EB

Contributor

After 2.5 hours on the phone and having to call in 7 different times, I am finally getting my free battery.  Yes, modems should include backup batteries.  You don't tell someone that has a modem with a backup battery that they need to get a new modem because the service has been improved and the old modem, which worked just fine, can't handle the new service and that the new modem would be at no charge and then not include the backup battery.  I traded in a perfectly good modem with a perfectly good battery and expected to get the exact same thing back.  It is just not ethical to not include the batteries.

I can happily say we had no problem with the local comcast service center (other than the 50 minute drive to get there) but I was shocked when I opened the set up sheet and saw "install the battery" and there was no battery.  That tells me right there that the battery should have been included with the modem. 

Comcast shouldn't be in the battery-selling business.

We have frequent power blips and I need that battery backup for our safety.  We have been one of the few people to not lose phone service locally in the past simply because we were comcast customers and had the battery back up.  That in itself is good advertising for comcast, so why mess that up?

Regular Contributor

grammie8 wrote:

After 2.5 hours on the phone and having to call in 7 different times, I am finally getting my free battery.  Yes, modems should include backup batteries.  You don't tell someone that has a modem with a backup battery that they need to get a new modem because the service has been improved and the old modem, which worked just fine, can't handle the new service and that the new modem would be at no charge and then not include the backup battery.  I traded in a perfectly good modem with a perfectly good battery and expected to get the exact same thing back.  It is just not ethical to not include the batteries.

I can happily say we had no problem with the local comcast service center (other than the 50 minute drive to get there) but I was shocked when I opened the set up sheet and saw "install the battery" and there was no battery.  That tells me right there that the battery should have been included with the modem. 

Comcast shouldn't be in the battery-selling business.

We have frequent power blips and I need that battery backup for our safety.  We have been one of the few people to not lose phone service locally in the past simply because we were comcast customers and had the battery back up.  That in itself is good advertising for comcast, so why mess that up?

Well I have gotten nowhere.  Been on the phone multiple times talked to multiple people to no avail.  I also just have learn that my monitered home security will not be able to dial out to the monitoring center if some breaks into my house during a power outage.  This is outragious!  This seams like such a liability issue for CC. I don't get it.  Im so pi**ed off it's unbelievable!   Also why do they charge $40 for a battery when you can get it here  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=ARCT02220&_sacat=0&_from=R4...  so much cheaper. I should not have to pay a dime.

New Visitor
Pat600

No Free Battery ---  I called the Battery Replacement Group number 1-800-948-5385.  You must buy one from them if you want one.  And, they will not even tell you the type of battery needed.  The woman I talked to told me the battery is "like a cellphone battery but much bigger and will last 3 to 5 years."  The woman could not even tell me anything at all to actually describe this battery.   This is nuts!!!

Contributor
Martin_J

Just traded in my old modem for the new Arris wireless gateway, and was surprised to find there was no battery like the old one.  Personally, I don't care because I no longer have any phones connected that will work without power.  However...

Not long ago, I fell for an AT&T Uverse "no-risk" trial, and cancelled after a week.  Their modem comes with a big external Belkin battery backup for internet + phone, and I was not able to ship it back with the other equipment, so I now have it sitting around doing nothing.

It is 12 volts output, though.  So, I may just connect my 12 volt converter to it, and see if its output will drive the modem so I can have wireless internet plus phone during a power outage.  It should work if my converter is good enough.

So, if anyone really wants a battery backup for cheap, you can do a Uverse trial.  But I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're a masochist - AT&T billing has yet to figure out that I don't owe them money, although the phone support told me to ignore them because I have a zero balance.  Also, their speed is slower, but if you don't disconnect Comcast, you can keep using Comcast cable and internet, and only use Uverse for the phone.  I found it easy to reconnect the phone to Comcast myself, although the Uverse installer stole my connection box (but I had an old spare - just a standard box is all I needed).

Contributor

Updating my previous note to say that I have not yet received the battery that was promised.  Really quite frustrated with this.  If Comcast doesn't want to give me a battery, then pay ME for the one I turned in to Comcast with my previous router -- oh, and I'll take that payment in the form of a battery, don't bother with crediting  my account, that will just mess things up. 

Chances of someone at Comcast reading this?  Probably zero.

Contributor
Jayski1

I just got the latest notice from Comcast regarding their new Docsis Modem,which,they say does not come with a backup battery. Does that mean there is no battery in the modem? But there's a slot for one? And they want us to pay for that battery? That's just crazy AND greedy~!

Any modem I ever bought in my lifetime,has included a battery with it... I don't get it.

Do we have to get the new modem? Can we use the battery from the old modem in the new one?

I have been overpaying Comcast for several years for their wonderful Triple Play (sarcasm intended)...and if that's the current situation,I will just disconnect my voice line & use only my cell phone. 

But doesn't the battery also work for the internet & cable service as well? If there is no battery in the modem,won't that interfere with them also?

I am so confused... :-(

Contributor

Still no battery here.  Jayski1 -- If the power goes out and you don't have a backup battery in your modem, then you won't be able to contact 911.  Big safety issue, especially if a family is relying on landline phone service for a family member that does not have a cell phone.

Regular Problem Solver

The Arris TG862G gateway I got last December did not come with a battery. Fortunately I was able to get one for free because Comcast's stated policy at the time was that Comcast customers who had Voice were supposed to get a modem with a backup battery. That changed earlier this year when they stopped supplying the batteries for free. I confirmed this by calling the number that I previously had called to get my battery.

The modem's battery is only for providing phone service in case of a power outage. However having a battery will not guarantee phone service during a power outage. A few months ago I tried to use the phone after a power outage only to find that there was no dial tone. I hope this does not happen again.

Only once did I ever lose phone service from my AT&T landline after a power loss. That was two days after a tornado knocked out power countywide for four days.

Contributor
Jayski1

True. Every time we have had a blackout or power outage,there was no dial tone & the battery was in the modem...so whatever...if that's all the battery is for,then forget it.

Regular Problem Solver

You could get a UPS for the gateway. That would power it for the internet and phone during a power outage. How long depends on how big its battery is.

For example, I have  my 800VA APC UPS that keeps my computer running for about 20 minutes after a power outage. If it were only powering the gateway it could probably keep it running much longer.

Normally during a power outages I had not been losing phone service because of the gateway's battery. The one time it didn't probably meant that some other component in Comcast's system was down also. I would have thought that all critical equipment to keep phone service up during a power outage would have backup power.

Contributor
rbrusuelas

I just ordered the battery.  I had been given a battery with my 862 at the Xfinity store but apparently those batteries are intended to be short-lived.  The 3-5 year life expectation is suspect, since the warranty on the battery just ordered is only 13 months.  

Xfinity's concern for customer satisfaction is really evident. Really.

Regular Problem Solver

ARRIS sells batteries for their modems at their web store.

ARRIS Battery Center

ARRIS Touchstone TG8 Battery Packs

They list two batteries for the TG862G:

ARRIS ARCT02220
Item: 794068
2600 mAh
Up to 8 Hours of Hold Time
$44.95

ARRIS ARCT00830
Item: 790512
4400 mAh
Up to 12 Hours of Hold Time
$59.95

The estimated service life of a lithium-ion battery is 6 to 10 years. 1 year limited warranty.

New Visitor

Arris TG862G for triple play was installed 3 months ago .Rec'd an Comcast e mail earlier today as follows: 

XFINITY Voice relies on the power in your home. A backup battery for your leased voice modem could help maintain your service in the event of a power outage, allowing you to stay connected for up to 8 hours with 5 hours of talk time.
Our network monitoring system has detected that the battery in your voice modem is either:

1. Depleted and/or no longer properly charging, or   2. Missing from your voice modem

Without a properly functioning battery backup, your ability to make or receive calls, including E911 emergency calls, may be adversely impacted if there is an interruption in your normal power source.

Called and comcast advised my unit does not require an external backup battery and to ignore the email. Sounds like "right hand/left hand" at Comcast.

Regular Problem Solver

They're right. You don't need the battery.  When you have a power failure and Xfinity Voice does not work just make sure you have your cell phone ready.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
So what happens when your home alarm system can't dial out to the monitoring center when power goes out and you are getting robbed. The alarm system has a battery backup but your phone line does not. You don't need a battery, that's just absurd.
New Visitor
robrope

[ Edited ]

I'm a new Triple Play subscriber and just called the number for Battery Backup. It is now a 'Sales' line. No free batteries from these folks! :smileyangry:  Cost of battery is $35 + $5.95 shipping and handling!!! No thanks. The battery in question for the TG862G is Arris ARCT02220.  It is available today from eBay for $14.21 + Free shipping. :smileywink:  'Nuff said.

Contributor
EdMuse

You should always have at least one wired phone in your home, in case of emergency.

After hurricane Irene, not only did my neighborhood (along with most of the Northeastern US) lose power, my cell phone provider had a tower knocked out.  And a fallen 60-foot oak tree blocked my car into my driveway.  The backup battery in my modem was the only way I could communicate with the world in case of emergency.  Comcast is playing games with people's lives, here.

Regular Problem Solver

Is Comcast required to provide a free battery or not? Since they stopped doing so then it is obvious they are not. The next thing is have they notified customers of this in writing? It would be even better yet if the installation paperwork contained this information and the customer was given the option to buy the battery at that time. As long as the customer was informed of the consequences of not buying the battery and declined to get one then Comcast is probably in the clear.

It all comes down to choices. Landlines from companies like AT&T in my experience have provided much better uptime than phone services from cable providers.

My AT&T landline rarely if ever had gone down. The only major outage was after a tornado knocked out power for five days. The phone service did not fail until after three days.

At best Comcast Voice can only provide 5-8 hours of service during a power outage because that is all the battery can provide. Even then that is no guarantee. I have had Comcast Voice for six months now and was lucky enough to get the free battery before they started charging for them. I have had at least two power outages during that time. One time phone service was maintained during the power outage and the other time it was not.

I have had Comcast cable and internet for over ten years now and was contacted many times to get Comcast Voice also. I had always declined until six months ago because of the concerns I had about uptime. Now that I have Comcast Voice I am living with that choice because of economic reasons.

Contributor
EdMuse

Not sure what the requirement to provide service is.  I'm thinking of calling my state's Attorney General's office, and I would recommend anyone else concerned about this do the same.  I think there may be some requrement that they provide for 911 service, but that's just a hunch.

It took me a half hour on the phone with them, and four transfers, but I did manage to file a complaint about my dissatisfaction with the new policy.  And I found out there's no charge for the automated battery monitoring service, as a post above suggest.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Hello everyone-

I just wanted to let everyone know I understand all the concerns and issues about the back up battery. Many customers are unsure if we are providing them or if we're required to. Our new policy is, as of February we will no longer be providing a backup battery.

We apologize for all the inconvenience.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Regular Problem Solver

Voice-Over-Internet Protocol

http://transition.fcc.gov/voip/

Frequently Asked Questions

What Are Some Advantages of VoIP?

Some VoIP services offer features and services that are not available with a traditional phone, or are available but only for an additional fee. You may also be able to avoid paying for both a broadband connection and a traditional telephone line.

What Are Some disadvantages of VoIP?
If you're considering replacing your traditional telephone service with VoIP, there are some possible differences:
* Some VoIP services don't work during power outages and the service provider may not offer backup power.
* Not all VoIP services connect directly to emergency services through 9-1-1. For additional information, see VoIP & 911 Advisory.
* VoIP providers may or may not offer directory assistance/white page listings.

=======================================================
Consumer Guide - VoIP and 911 service
http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/voip911.pdf

The Public Safety Challenges of VoIP Service
* VoIP service may not work during a power outage, or when the Internet connection fails or becomes overloaded.

To reduce these differences and any possible risks to public safety posed by interconnected VoIP 911 service, the FCC has imposed the following requirements:
* Interconnected VoIP providers must take appropriate action to ensure that their customers have a clear understanding of the limitations, if any, of their 911 service. All providers must specifically advise new and existing customers, prominently and in plain language, of the circumstances under which 911 service may not be available through the interconnected VoIP service or may in some way be limited in comparison to traditional 911 service. They must distribute labels to all customers warning them if 911 service may be limited or not available and instructing them to place the labels on and/or near the equipment used in conjunction with the interconnected VoIP service.
* Interconnected VoIP providers must obtain affirmative acknowledgement from all existing customers that they are aware of and understand the limitations of their 911 service.

Tips for Suscribers to Fully Interconnected VoIP Service
If you have or are thinking of subscribing to an interconnected VoIP service, you should:
* Have a clear understanding of any limitations of your 911 service.
* If your power is out or your Internet connection is down, be aware that your VoIP service may not work. Consider installing a backup power supply, maintaining a traditional phone line or having a wireless phone as a backup.