Contributor
kristyannhenry

Authorized User or Not?

Some History:

The original Contract was made by ME in March of 2011 at a previous address. We moved in July 2011, where our service was transferred. Last march, I tried to call and cancel. They said I could not because my contract wasn't up until March 2013. This brings me to today ...

I call to find out what day in March our contact ends so that we can downgrade our service. But, I dont want to go over the contract date, because I want out of the contract. 

Actual conversation:

CSR: Your contract isn't up until July 2013. 

Me: That's not possible. I made the agreement when I lived at our previous residence. We didnt live there in July 2011. I think you have that date confused with the day I transferred our existing contract to our new address.

CSR: No, its right here. Your contract is up in July 2013.

Me: Ok, so what do i have to do...who do i need to talk to to get the correct information. can I speak with a supervisor. 

CSR: I can put in a request to talk to a supervisor. But you can't make that request, your not an authorized user on the account. Your husband will have to call and add you. Then he can request the call back from a Supervisor. A supervisor will tell you the exact same information. 

Me: How am I not an authorized user? How was I even able to make the original agreement. Do you have the original agreement on hand? 

CSR: No, it was probably a verbal agreement.

I guess I should get a lawyer. I am pretty sure if I am not able to cancel service because I am not an authorized user... I certainly can't make a contract (especially not a VERBAL contract).

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Authorized User or Not?

you can cancel your contract but you will pay an early term fee/

Contributor
kristyannhenry

I am not sure how I could have possibly made a contract with Comcast. I wasn't an authorized user. 

If I wasn't an authorized user, how was the contract made? 

We transferred service, in July 2011. Our contract started in March 2011. We never agreed to extend our contract based on moving. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

[ Edited ]

I would not argue for 4 months, how much do you think you can save by downgrading 4 months earlier?

The early termination fee might be 150 or 175 dollars.

Arguing makes your life shorter and more unhappy.

You would need to save about 50 dollars a month to break even.

So just wait till July.

Then you might just switch to a different company instead of downgrading.

That may make you more happy at that point.

New companies give new customers  hundreds of dollars in savings, so just bide your time and then switch companies.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Consumers union has an article about early termination charges http://hearusnow.org/posts/123-now_that_you_mention_it_we_do_charge_early_termination_penalties

Contributor
kristyannhenry

Absolutely not. It's not about arguing. We had planned on downgrading in March. We will be downgrading in March or cancelling. We have waited a year to make this change. 

I wont be paying an early termination fee either. 

If in fact, I wasn't an authorized user. Then Comcast should never have accepted me making the contract in March 2011. I made the two year agreement in March 2011. I have honored that agreement. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

You can try escalating to we can help

https://getsatisfaction.com/comcast/topics/getting_help_from_comcast_fast

It might help if you saved your paperwork from when you moved and when you first got service.

Contributor
kristyannhenry

I can absolutely show when I lived in the apartment and when we moved.

There was no paperwork given to us when we transferred service because we just hooked up ourselves there. 

I asked for a copy of the original contract and they told me there was not one and that it was a verbal agreement. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Send whatever information you have to

We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com - This special email address is a direct line to our agents that assist on Get Satisfaction. In order to best assist we do need account information, such as the phone number listed on the account, as well as a contact number to speak to you. Although we love electronic means of communication, there are times where a conversation is the best way to assist. We're here to help.. when all else fails.

Give your phone number and they will call you and talk with you.

They are nice people who care.

Contributor
kristyannhenry

Thank you!

Email Expert
CCCarole

I have escalated your thread to the Administrator.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
kristyannhenry

Thank you