New Visitor
rudyp
Accepted Solution

BRIDGE MODE Assistance Arris TG862

Hello,

I've basically been having issues connecting the new Arris TG862 combo gateway to my xbox 360 S, and any fixes I make are temporary and still leave the wireless connection shoddy, at best.  I have read many solutions that putting the gateway into bridge mode is the best option, and I think that's right based on trying every other alternative. Can someone please assist me with this bridge mode switch?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: BRIDGE MODE Assistance Arris TG862

You have to call in;
Use this number to reach the right people for the job; 1-800-363-2416.

New Visitor
rudyp

Seen some fixes on here so i gave it a shot, also theyre not answering but I know it's not normal business hours.

Thanks, will try Monday

Connection Expert
EG

Sorry. I meant to post to call during normal business hours. Be advised that we've seen many posts here lately indicating prolonged wait times for that dept.

New Visitor
Percius

[ Edited ]

Try http://192.168.100.1 It is the default IP for most modems. 

That being said I don't expect bridge mode will fix the issue. If it does then you probably need to reduce the frame size also called MTU.

Cable uses a MTU of 1500. DSL uses a MTU of 1492. Every layer of NAT reduces the size of the MTU you can use. Most routers (Think Linksys) chop packages that are too big into multiple messages. Unfortunately that does result in a slow down so its better to have the correct size from the start.

As for the phone number, good luck. The first 4 people I talked to could not get bridge mode setup for a business client that was using a hardware firewall & VPN. Eventually I bought them a modem we had control over so that it could be setup. 

--edit--

IP address had period in wrong location

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Percius wrote: ... Every layer of NAT reduces the size of the MTU you can use. ...

Cite?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Percius wrote:

That being said I don't expect bridge mode will fix the issue. If it does then you probably need to reduce the frame size also called MTU.

Cable uses a MTU of 1500. DSL uses a MTU of 1492. Every layer of NAT reduces the size of the MTU you can use.

FWIW, in the OP's particular case, MTU or double NAT have nothing to do with their wireless performance issues. Bridging was suggested merely so that the OP may use a separate high quality wireless capable router to improve the wireless performance / range.