New Visitor
mrb751

Cable Line From Pole To House About To Be Ripped Down; Comcast says so what

4+ weeks ago I informed Comcast that a large  tree limb, not on my property, was pushing down on the line from the main service line to my house.  Comcast said they would come out to cut limb or re-run wire.  Called today, with ticket number 2009673; was told problem was resolved.  I informed customer service nothing had been done and now the wire is low enough for a truck to hit and rip of the pole or house.  Customer service scheduled an appointment for Thursday to come look at the problem.

Interesting that a customer proactively calls Comcast about a problem that could disrupt their service line and remove all services (TV, internet, phone) from my house and possibly the entire street, and they want to take their sweet time about it.  Not to mention potential damage to my house from having a service wired ripped down by a tree limb or truck.

Additionally, when I called the first time customer service wanted to charge me a service charge to remove a tree limb on a wire that is over a street.  After a bit of conversation, Comcast made an "exception" and waived the service charge.  Geez, don't call Comcast to let them know they have issues with their lines.

The customer service supervisor was great about handling the situation but he is limited to what he can do; put it in a computer and get a ticket number.  Very nice people but  limited in how much they can help.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Cable Line From Pole To House About To Be Ripped Down; Comcast says so what

I have notified the Administrator- Watch for his reply as he will need details sent to him privately, which cannot be posted in the public forums.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Thank you for being proactive. A trouble call is setup for Thursday, so please let me know if the issue is not resolved then.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

csmoakin, I am merging all your posts into one thread. Having them in different threads makes it more difficult to report your posts to the admin and to help you. It's much easier to have everything in one place so we are not bouncing from one thread to another.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Are you sure it isn't a phone line? If a tech came out and saw it was a line from another provider - he would have simply mark the issue as resolved and left.

New Visitor
mrb751

Postive it's not the phone line; AT&T removed all connections from the house when I bundled with Comcast. The line goes from the street, to the roof eave, into the basement to the juncition for all my cable.

New Visitor
mrb751

No one showed up again.  Line is now less than 9 feet from the ground across a street.  If a truck taller than 9 feet comes down the street, there goes the line.  Plus the line is now sitting directly on an 8 foot metal fence (not mine) and it's supposed to rain which will push the tree limb down further.  The line and tree are not on my property.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Call your city government. That is a hazard to traffic and property. Also if the property that the tree causing the problem is occupied the owner of that property should be taking care of that tree limb.

They do that around here if trees are getting in the way of any  utility line; either the property owner does it or the city does it and bills the owner.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

commanguy.   Owners are not responsible for tree trimming bill done by utilities or city at least in Indiana.   In fact,  Indiana has new tree trimming law.   That requires owners to be notified if the tree is going to cut in or trim it (the notification has to be at least seven days in advance.) & they are also supposed to trim it so it won't damage or ruin the look of the trees. 

Another problem with that,  who actually owns the tree?   Some trees are very old & are on property lines. Some are on city right-of-ways.  Some were actually planted by the City.

Back to the Op problem.   It sounds like the line & tree is not on anyone's property.    A tree pushing down on a line is real not dangerous unless it is electrical.     The line just needs to be  re-run.   The line is the dangerous part.    In some areas there are more then one cable company.   It could be the other cable companies line.

This is a caution to the OP,  make sure it is not a electric line.  Especially,  if it touches the fence.   I saw something on tv that you can through against the fence to see if it is charged,  unfortunately I forgot what that was.   OP,  if you have a friend on the fire department.   They can usually tell you what company the line belongs too.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

grday

In my city if it is a boulevard tree the city prunes those every couple of years whether you want them to or not. Concerns about pedestrian traffic and vechiles hitting low hanging branches. No charge on that one.

Trees directly on private property that overhang and can cause damage if a branch falls on any of the utility lines are usually expected to be taken care of by the property owner. They will send a notice if they see trees that are considered to be a hazard. If the property owner doesn't take care of it they will. Not sure if they charge on that one. Possibly for gas. So can't argue that one.

Also if that tree is on public access/property then it is the responsibilty of the city to take care of it.

I made my suggestion to the OP without knowing who owns the property since the OP just states that it is not his property, so I don't know who owns the tree, just know the OP doesn't . However if the line gets ripped off it can cause damage to his resisdence. If it is overhanging a public street then it goes back to being an issue of safety for vechicluar traffic and that falls under the city's responsibility. Just my reasoning for making that suggestion.

Either way if the tree was planted by the city or is on a right of way (boulevard) which in most cities is considered city property and property owners give up the right of way  to the city; which is the case for me which is why the city prunes brances off boulevard trees without asking me.

Even if the city doesn't cut the branch down and the line belongs to a different cable company they should be able to identify it and have the proper company take care of it.

Since it could cause issues with traffic in the future the issue of where, or who, owns the tree is actually unimportant. The safety issue needs to be dealt with first. Ownership comes second. Cost payment, if needed to be assessed, should come last.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

Commanguy.   I do agree with most of your post.  My area, the city doesn't know who the lines belong to, they tell you to call the fire department or police.   They are more fimilar with the type of lines.    Gas line in the air?  I thought those were underground.      I am more concerned with it being electrical lines.   Maybe he should call the cops or fire department if the location doesn't charge you for those calls.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

gas=gas for trucks and chainsaws.

I would, if needed, call the fire department first. I would imagine they have an updated list of services by neighborhood just to know the possible hazards that would need to be dealt with in a fire.

The OP seems to know it his cable line. But not seeing the site hard to tell what is what. I would tend to trust the OP on this one.

Either way someone should get out and take care of it. I can just imagine what that would do to a truck snagging it and pulling it down. The OPs house is going to have damage, and if a pedistrian is around a moving cable of any sort is going to be nasty.

Email Expert
CCCarole

mrb751 wrote:

No one showed up again.  Line is now less than 9 feet from the ground across a street.  If a truck taller than 9 feet comes down the street, there goes the line.  Plus the line is now sitting directly on an 8 foot metal fence (not mine) and it's supposed to rain which will push the tree limb down further.  The line and tree are not on my property.

I have notified ComcastLarry.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
mrb751

Contacted Customer Service last night. Supervisor said would call back was sending maintenance crew outNo call, no crew.

A couple of point to the comments:

1. This is not an electrical lineIt runs parallel to the cable line and was strung above the branch

2. City of Atlanta does not deal with these issues; county government doesWhen one calls that office all there is is voicemail.

Enough calls for me to Comcast Time to call AT&T U-verse. Might as well get all new linesBeen a customer of Comcast or companies they have bought for over 20 yearsAlso a stockholder. Sad that a satisfied customer has to leave because of Comcast disregarding a fairly simple problemI just can't risk losing my bundled servicesWork from home and must have internetHave tried to be proactiveBut, if this line comes down it will be at least 3 days before a repairJust can't take that risk.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Once again, thank you for calling. I'm going to contact their management team to resolve this.
Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
maniminto

I have contacted comcast about the same issue several times. Most recent ticket no. is 017217640. Each time I've been told that a tecnician will contact me with no results. The cable is overextended due to growth of an oak tree between the pole and the house and is about to snap.

New Visitor
pkeithan

Interesting thread.  So you have been notifying Comcast of a problem for over 2 months, and each time you call them again, they tell  you the problem is solved.  But, when you look out your window, you know itis not.

What gives?  Comcast is truly more interested in getting new customers than in maintaining a positive relationship with current, long standing customers.  Interesting business model.

My favorite part is when you call again and again and again and again, they keep telling you it is resolved.  Umm. 

Good luck.  I too work at home and am dependent on my internet connection.  Glad I read your post.  It has me thinking it might not be a good idea to remain a Comcast customer.  I really don't like it when an external "service" company, messes with my income stream.

New Visitor
Besomean

I'm having the same issue right now!  Started on July 22nd and still the line is on the ground.  Hope you see them Thursday!  Mine were due out today between 10-12 (after NUMEROUS phone calls to Customer Service) and they were a no show. Was told it's back in the maintenance department and they cannot tell me when they will out to resolve the issue as the customer service department has no communications to the maintenance department??? 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

pkeithan

Actually this thread started in June of 2011. And no response from the original poster on the outcome.

Email Expert
CCCarole

If you are currently having an issue, please start a NEW MESSAGE.  This two year old thread is locked.  Thank you.

Click on new message.JPG

at the top of the Forum page.