Regular Visitor

Comcast Outages

All Comcast services were out in the 21219 zip code from some time yesterday afternoon, (07/30/2011,) until some time in the early morning hours today, (07/31/2011.) No TV or internet, (or phone if you have their service for that,) on a weekend.  I called customer service and was informed that it was a large outage emanating from Essex MD in Baltimore County affecting a large number of Comcast customers.  So I visited this web site to see if there was some explanation and find that there is no mention of the outage.  Nothing.  As if it never occurred.  And these outages have been happening with more & more frequency lately although this was the longest.  Usually they only last 1/2 hour or so and then service is restored.  This outage lasted at least 12 hours and no mention of it here.  No explanation or apology.  I'm very disappointed with Comcast overall and am seriously considering a change of service providers.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Comcast Outages

you are correct there is no way for you to check what the outage is.  So are you saying everytime there is an outage you would like comcast to call you and tell you why?  I do agree it would be nice to be able to go to their website and see that service is down, but that functionality does not exist.    if you call in and there is trouble they will tell you there is an outage in your area.   I assume you have a cell phone and can do this since your other services are down.  with all the outages they have  all they would be doing is telling people why. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

rog286713 wrote:

I assume you have a cell phone and can do this since your other services are down. 

rog - do you know the meaning of the word assume?

Why would someone need cell phone service if they are paying for "crystal clear" Xfinity phone service?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Wouldn't it be great if Comcast had an SMS system to let customers know there was an outage?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

my point was everyone has a cell phone and can call into comcast if there service is down and can check it that way.  If you dont have a cell phone then excuse  me for assuming that something almost every 8 year old has in my area is pushing the limits

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if Comcast had an SMS system to let customers know there was an outage?

There is something fairly new with Comcast. ALERTS. Sign in to Customer Central and you will see the Alerts tab.

According to Comcast:

What are Comcast Alerts℠?

Comcast Alerts allow you to automatically receive email and text messages with updates about your Comcast account. You can receive reminders for upcoming appointments, payment confirmation, and notifications that your bill is past due.

Comcast Alerts also include text commands, which let you text Comcast for specific information and receive a text response. You can use text commands to find out information like your current account balance, the location of the closest payment center, a service outage in your area, and more.

What text commands are available in Comcast Alerts?

The following text commands are currently available – text any command to 266278 from your mobile device to receive a response from Comcast:

Text

Service/Message Response

LOC

Find the payment center closest to your service address.

BAL

Get your latest account balance.

OUT

Find out if there is currently a service outage in your area.

NOAPPT

Cancel a scheduled service call

STOP

Unsubscribe from Comcast text alerts

HELP

Get additional service information

COMMAND

See list of available text commands

PRIMETIME

See what's on TV during primetime

VOD

See what's on Video On Demand

Good idea in theory. In reality it will only work if the outage has been reported to Comcast and they update the system to text you back "yes there is an outage".  

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Visitor

I am saying this, an outage that affected so many people for that amount of hours should be reported to the public. A five minute outage in a small area is one thing.  An outage that affects a large number of customers over a large area is another thing altogether. If that had been an electric company outage it would have been on the local news. If it had been a landline phone outage it would have been reported on the news.  There was no bad weather or other circumstances that would have explained the outage, it just happened.  Furthermore although it is true that most people do have cell phones some do not.  My father for instance chooses not to have one.  But it's a moot point.  If you are relying on a company for your phone service you should not have to pay extra for a backup service.  That would be like installing fiber optic or satellite service just in case my cable TV fails, (or because I know that it often fails.)  So in my mind your whole post is silly bordering on ridiculous.  Why you would even try to defend this horrible company is beyond me.  But if you're happy with them more power to you.  I'm seriously considering trying their competitor.

Visitor

...and, of course, there is an outage that's been at least 1/2 hour now in my "area"...whatever that means. My area could be my neighborhood or the mid-Atlantic.

Any others affected?

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

Must be a rolling 'blackout' since I got it after yours went back up...lol.  I live in Woodbridge, Va  22193 zip 30 miles south of DC and we had a strange outage  July 31st around 11:20PM. Picture froze and I waited and then a red box came on the screen saying something like "this channel will be back on shortly". When I tried to exit the screen it told me I was not authorized to have that channel......it was local NBC for heaven's sake. I tried to turn the cable box off/on but got another message that I would lose my recordings and at that time did not realize it didn't matter because I lost them anywey. It was bugging me and when I  tried to go to sleep I couldn't and turned it back on and this time a few channels were working but the others had same red box message. Of course everything I was recording last night is  blank. I have seen outagesbefore but NEVER one as strange as this. I did not have the computer on nor did I check the phone so can't say if they were snafu too. It sure would be nice to know WHAT HAPPENED.

TerriB

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

Queen-Evie wrote:

There is something fairly new with Comcast. ALERTS. Sign in to Customer Central and you will see the Alerts tab.

Cool. Seems like they could integrate that into an outage alert system. For example the tech could call into the system and let it know that node 1234 was going to be in an outage for 15-20 minutes. Anyone that signed up for alerts in that node would get an alert. Or if there was a large scale outage - customers could be alerted w/o calling Comcast.

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

[ Edited ]

Hard to get an alert when there is an outage and can't access the internet...duh? I just checked and there are no alerts so guess they didn't bother

Terri

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Queen-Evie wrote:

Cool. Seems like they could integrate that into an outage alert system. For example the tech could call into the system and let it know that node 1234 was going to be in an outage for 15-20 minutes. Anyone that signed up for alerts in that node would get an alert. Or if there was a large scale outage - customers could be alerted w/o calling Comcast.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

SMS messages are text messages sent to your cell phone.

Bronze Problem Solver

Would Comcast be able to send those if the area's phone service (Comcast's. I mean) is down?  Asking because I'm ignorant of how that facet of magic works.  

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

I am not giving Comcast my cell number to send messages to even if its the only way to contact me. I don't think they would and I don't have my cell on at home normally unless we have a power failure or Comcast digital voice outage. . I just talked to them and they said there was no outage last night and that it had to be something wrong with my connection...loose cable, etc. I told them no way that was happening as I am the only one who touches it in this house and it was late at night. He said if it happens again call them right away so they can 'look' at it. I said I would...case closed for now.

Terri

Email Expert
CCCarole

rog286713 wrote:

my point was everyone has a cell phone and can call into comcast if there service is down and can check it that way.  If you dont have a cell phone then excuse  me for assuming that something almost every 8 year old has in my area is pushing the limits

I learned many years ago never to 'assume' anything.  I do NOT have a cell phone, but I do have an

old fashioned landline telephone.

For those that do have a cell phone, you could try Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/comcastcares

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

Of course I have a cell phone. I just prefer not to give it to Comcast.

New Visitor
JGS10

Since I have been out for three days I would expect them to be able to tell me when it will be restored. I work in the engineering field and my customers expect that of me. If it is not restored today I am switching to another service. The other service they bash is working across the street from me.

New Visitor
programmer

You should be lucky you have an option. Many places only have comcast as the option.

And if there are local ISPs they are usually forced to use the existing infrastructure owned by the present conglomerate.