Contributor
nasirmd

Comcast bait and switch

Last night I happened to look at the Comcast Internet packages. I have been an Internet only subscriber for many years. The Blast! package for existing customers was advertised as $54.95. I decided to switch to this package from my current one. I went thru the order process and go this Order summary. Note that the system knew where I lived, etc. since Iwas already logged in.

Then I am asked to "Chat Live" to complete the order. Guess what, the Chat rep says the price is $67.95 because I don't have any other Cable service.

Nowhere on the list of Internet Package or inthe ordering process is this mentioned. It clearly says that for some other plans but not this.

I am extremely dissapointed. What kind of a stupid online system is this that first of all requires a chat to complete the order. And secondly, is the purpose of the Chat to get you to pay more after wasting time going thru the order process???

======================================

Step Review Your Order Summary edit

One-time Fees                        Monthly Charges    
Blast!®-                                                                              $54.95    
Self Install - Standard Shipping $10.00 -    
Internet Modem - -    
SUB TOTAL                               $10.00                              $54.95                
TOTAL                                                                                                   $64.95
Your first bill will be higher than your normal monthly charges to account for any installation charges or yearly subscriptions. Your second month's bill will be approximately $54.95.    
Billing for services will begin 2 days after your order is submitted, or once activated if you receive your Self-Install Kit earlier.

Email Expert
madylarian

Re: Comcast bait and switch

Definition of "bait and switch".

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Was there a link for Details and Restrictions? If so, did you read it?

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

ok so it said if you are an existing customer you can add it for 54.95, that does not mean if you are just an internet customer, how can you ADD if you already have, that means you have other comcast service and you want to ADD this to it.  I cannot agree on your interpretation on this. 

Contributor
nasirmd

Yes, I did read the "Details and Restrictions".

For several of the other packages it clearly says "This special price is for customers who currently subscribe to Comcast Digital TV or Comcast Digital Voice® service." but not the one I tried to sign up for (Blast!).

@rog286713:  I disagree with what you say. The only choice are being a new customer (which I am clearly not) or a current customer. So I choose, current customer. I am sure I would not qualify for new customer packages.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you need to call 1800comcast and speak with them.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Can you find that offer again? If you search for it and cannot, maybe you can go through your history and find it if you haven't cleared it out.

IF you do find it, take a screenshot of it. Call Comcast and read what it says when you talk to someone.

OR post the screenshot here and I will escalate to the forum admin.

FWIW, don't use chat unless you absolutely have to; always call instead.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
nasirmd

It is very simple to get to the page. Once you are logged in on Comcast.com, just click the "Shop" link abd you see the Blast! offer as the very first one.

Link

If you scroll down to the Performance plan, you see the blurb about requiring another TV or Phone service.

I suspect it is an error on Comcast's part which I hope they fix to avoid frustration.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Those prices are the reduced prices given to people who have the other services.

I looked up Blast for myself as a existing customer and get the same $54.95 per month price. But on a rate sheet it shows me that if I don't have either TV or Phone service it would be $69.95 per month.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]
This is what I see following your directions using my home address.: I agree with Commanguy on the pricing diffewrences. I am also copying/pasting it here along with the  Details & restrictions text.

Blast!®

Downloads up to 20 Mbps, uploads up to 4 Mbps with PowerBoost®.

• All the speed you need for downloading music and movies, and uploading photos and streaming video.
      • Constant Guard™ - a $360 value of top-rated security software, including the Norton™ Security Suite and much more.
      • SmartZone® Communications Center.
      • Access to Comcast.net.
      • 7 e-mail accounts, each with 10GB of storage.
      • Backed by the Comcast 30-day money-back guarantee.

This price is for customers who currently subscribe to Comcast Digital TV or Comcast Digital Voice® service.
            $56.95

per month

Details and Restrictions

close

Not
all services available in all areas. High-Speed Internet service
limited to a single outlet. Service subject to Comcast standard terms
and conditions. Prices shown do not include equipment and installation
charges or taxes. PowerBoost provides bursts of download and upload
speeds for the first 20 MB and 10 MB of a file, respectively. Many
factors affect speed. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed. Cable
modem required. Norton comparisons based on Antivirus, Internet Security
and Total Security Performance Benchmarking, Edition 4, by PassMark
Software Pty., Ltd. (March 2009). Pricing, services and features subject
to change. 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee applies to one month’s recurring
charges and standard installation up to $500. Please call your local
Comcast office for restrictions and complete details about service,
prices and equipment. Comcast ©2011. All rights reserved. Norton is a
trademark of Symantec Corporation. All other trademarks are the property
of their respective owners.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

You are correct that it is easy to get to the page.

I saw one offer for Blast! I could not find the same thing you saw. I think the offers may be area specific. When you input your zip code, that triggers the system to find out what is available in the area you live in.

That is why I made the suggestion of a screenshot.

ScreenHunter_14 Aug. 07 16.25.gif

Email Expert
CCCarole

I think you are correct too Evie.  prcing varies by area... etc.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
nasirmd

Here is the screenshot...

New Visitor
missingcitizen

All those deals are outright lies. You will never get them.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Copy/paste the terms and conditions.

Contributor
nasirmd

Here is the screenshot with the T&C's

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

That seems straight forward. A price with no restriction about available to new customers only or needing to have additional Comcast services.

Since this is something we cannot help you with, I will escalate this to the forum administrator.

Please check back often for his reply.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

nasirmd-

A ticket has been setup to look into this issue for you.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-