New Visitor
CComcas_mislead

Comcast class action lawsuit should be filed for misleading customers

Why does Comcast sign people up with packages that include high definition stations and then give them equipment that cannot provide high definition to their HDTV?

It just seems ethically wrong and that there should be a class action lawsuit to prohibit a company from advertising prices for high definition packages but then not provide the high definition channels with the equipment provided.

I am interested to hear a Comcast employee explain how they see this to be ethical. Just come clean and say Comcast is trying to scam customers out of another $8 a month by not revealing the true cost of a high definition package up front.

Shameful Comcast.

New Visitor
URDRWHO

Re: Comcast class action lawsuit should be filed for misleading customers

I have sent an inquiry to someone who has previous experience in this matter -

"I believe that your name was attached to ************** (name redacted). I don't know if there was a suit filed or if so, if it reached Class status.

I am rather mad and looking for direction. Comcast is again taking advantage of its customers. Recently I was advised that Comcast is scrambling the stations that I currently receive on my digital ready TV. I was told I had to start renting either a DTA or a tabletop box. I already have the table top set but for the other four TV's I need a DTA.

I have not read the Digital Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005 but I have found this - "For U.S. cable television, the FCC voted 5-0 on September 12, 2007 to require operators to make local broadcasts available to their users in analog. This requirement lasts until 2012, when the FCC will review the case again. This was necessary since many cable companies, including major ones like Comcast, have been taking analog channels away from customers.[12]"

My first question would be, how is Comcast going 100% digital in 2011?

During the phase-in of the Act, many Americans gave up their analog TV's and purchased cable ready TV's with digital tuners. This was done so we would not need to buy or use an analog to digital converter box.

So my second question would be, if millions of Americans spent millions of dollars to buy new digital TV's so they were able to receive digital signals, why is Comcast scrambling their signal to people with digital TV's.

I doubt if the FCC has ever said that a Cable provider must scramble their digital signals. To me it seems that Comcast is creating a new cash stream by using the digital mandate as the reason to scramble signals.

I remember a time that all cable subscribers needed a box. Then they came out with cable ready TV's and we all cheered, no more set-top box. Now the cable companies are taking us back to those years that we needed a box on every TV.

The rental for the DTV boxes is minimal but that isn't the point. The point of my anger is:

We shouldn't be required to even connect the DTV units.
It is one more thing to plug in to the electric receptical
It is one more unneeded remote control unit
The picture does not look as clear with the DTV unit connected

Thank you for your time and I appreciate hearing anything you have to say about this matter."

And so it begins.  Who knows, this may even lead to the loss of Comcast's unregulated utility status.  I think Comcast has made a lot of people very, very angry and this could be the tipping point.

New Visitor
Stephens2011

I agree and will file one, they are scamming people now the new scam is the rate change

when digital crossever happened we lost 6 channels

they say we well that is the new rate

you werent supposed to get those other channels

i will make a document request for the board of director's meetings minutes and deposition the board of directors for their $10 here $8 here a month conduct x millions of customers

this has to stop it is fraud on the public

pleaes let me know your comments

it is wrong that they continue to chip away at the customers and take away services without a legal contract that says they can, a service agreement is a service agreement for certain channels period

also they charge for the modem when i picked it up one day from comcast without charge previously

they are charging many people for this and people who should not be paying because they picked up the modem at a time when there was no fee

or there is no current contract on file with comcast/xfinity

please email me your comments in this regard

ministeroffinance@comcast.net

make the subject matter - comcast class action necessary?

New Visitor
Stephens2011

couldnt agree more

now i am busy with a project right now but will pick this up in september

i know the former heads of the fcc through a family member and can find out some information

i would like to look into brining a class action against them

please email me at ministeroffinance@comcast.net

i think the tipping point has occurred

they can not keep using these types of bad faith business practices on the public

ministeroffinance@comcast.net

subject matter: class action needed?

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

Here is my understanding on the FCC rules.  I don't work for Comcast

That limited basic over-the-air would remain unscrambled except the HD channels.   Qam limited service over-the-air channels must remain unscrambled except the HD channels. They can still move people to all digital if the provided a low cost or free box.    The rest of the channels they are free to scramble.  

However,  Cable companies are suing the clear qam requirement in court,  which I think is kind of silly,  since most of the limited service station are over-the-air broadcast and can be received with antenna.

On the tv part,  a lot of tvs don't have qam capabilities,  so  even if you won your case,   some people still would need a box or dta.

New Visitor
Stephens2011

it seems that you are knowledgeable in this field.

the fact that the company is using the FCC as an excuse to raise its prices, take away services that have been provided to paying customers, giving customers basic channels which amount to 70% or more that are free local channels anyways, and charging for a modem 100% increases for the last 3 years, is very concerning and should be more reasonable. at the end of the day there is a choice to have them for a service provider or someone else. but the business practices seem like they are not up front. if they want to just take away channels and charge more for the service they should just say that: "effective this month we no longer will give you 25 channels you get 15 for the same rate, and you have to pay $15 extra for the additional channels you used to get.

they would risk losing customers to Dish and other competitors. that is why they dont do the up front notice.

i never had anything in my contract with them when i signed that said i would be subject to losing channels anytime they wanted. in fact my contract said i have basic cable, as defined at that time it included a certain number of channels. so there is a breach of contract on their part in changing the service that i receive (less channels from what i signed up for). new notices might say in the bill 'we can change our plan anytime. but if it is not in the contract i signed before they are in breach.

so goes humanity. we all need to learn and grow and have forgiveness as we go through life.

Contributor
Bears4All

Lets see if I am reading this correctly. So in 3 years the rental rate for the modem went from $10 to $30. Next is customers going to Dish. Nice for the TV. Using it as your ISP is not worth the effort. Satellite companies providing internet services have to be not good, but great salesmen. It is still to this day a service that is only one way. Say you need to update via Windows Update. The method is it will upload all needed to instal the update. As it does this you can not download until it releases itself to allow you to send info.

I suggest since you only seem to want and watch local channels, drop the tv service and get the box needed to recieve your local TV. It is digital also. Analog no longer exists. It is dead and buried. Are you suggesting that since the original contract you so love to bring up can never change? Not at all logical.

This appearsto be someone that creates their own rules. And if anyone dares dispute anything? Sue em or file a class action suit. Wow, sorry I cant stop lauging about this. In regards to the changes Comcast does provide and sends out to customers notice of an increase or change to certain tiers. Also price changes.

Under your email preferences to recieve thesee notices you must check off a certain item. Talk to a lawyer, and they will tell you which one. And if the man is wrong? File a Class Action Suit saying he in cahoots with Comcast.

Ok now time for drwho. Regarding going 100% digital. It is done and analog died. IT is called progressing towards the future. Comcast is already all digital. The FCC item I do not believe what it has in it. The FCC can not force a provider to provide a service that no longer exists.

This so called scrambling is legal and itt is for a purpose. The scrambled channels are that way due to the level of service you ordered or pay for. They will scramble the rest. This is funny talking digital. It is for me all HD. You both are acting as if your right to decide what and how Comcast provides its services.

Yup, I get it all. $220 a month for all channels,DVR, and a picture that on my TV and setup looking stunning. Internet of 20down/4up . Phone service that is clear and unlimited call to CA. and the states. It is sweet to watch and rarley do I have an issue that I can not fix. If so I call tech.

Last time I called and told them I was moving downstairs to larger apartment. I had to if needed call 2 days prior if I had to cancel. I forgot. Called c/s. Tv back in 2 minutes. Phone I already knew took 2-3 days to be setup and then provisioned. The internet though I kept getting that screen saying I needed to verify myself and also follow their setup.

I was bored so I tried it for  awhile. I knew what was wrong. They had not place my MAC addy into the system. Called them back, told them what they needed to do. I then rebooted my modem the proper way, rebooted my computer. After 45 seconds of shut off to restart I was back online.

So I am getting what I want for services. If you are not? Then again like the other person drop[ the TV part and just watch it with the box that recieves signals without a cable wire.

Next is set top boxes are being given to customers, but they do not provide HD to the TV? Again was the darn service ordered? I doubt it. This is so easy tp see what you all are doing. Oh yeah, for your information a Class Action Suit involves many lawyers  providing  there services to people. To hundreds, probably alot more as they go state to state. Also the issue must be the same.

HOly cowwabunga Batgirls, I know why you all are upset, and the low level of service. You both have black boxes. And now what was and has been free? You do not get. And it has to be paid for.

Go ahead deny it. Whatcha going to do? Sue me? For saying stuff that offend you and demeans you so bad that you are suffering and at times feel alone and want to violently beat up a girl. Going after a dude instead would involve both of ya to run and run as fast and far as possible. Call mommy.

Have fun and stop stealing cable services.

Contributor
Bears4All

Nice there. Dang I did not realize it was that long. If you all not like it? To bad. I just filed a class action suit. It involve suing people who do not know how to operate a computer, expect the world of services for bare minimuim'

Nice post their tho Bear. Or shall I say DJ_SOljaBear. Hood born and now living large it a hmmm lighter area of Montery. Call me, we can go cruising in the pacific on my 65 foot mini yacht.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Stephens2011 wrote:

it is wrong that they continue to chip away at the customers and take away services without a legal contract that says they can, a service agreement is a service agreement for certain channels period

Stephens2011 wrote:

i never had anything in my contract with them when i signed that said i would be subject to losing channels anytime they wanted. in fact my contract said i have basic cable, as defined at that time it included a certain number of channels. so there is a breach of contract on their part in changing the service that i receive (less channels from what i signed up for). new notices might say in the bill 'we can change our plan anytime. but if it is not in the contract i signed before they are in breach.

Comcast is not in breach of contract.

When you became a Comcast customer you agreed to the accept the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services. This is a legal document crafted by the lawyers. It doesn't matter whether you read the agreement or didn't read the agreement. Simply by using the services means you accepted the terms.

1. ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT
You will have accepted this Agreement and be bound by its terms if you use the Services or otherwise indicate your affirmative acceptance of such terms.

4. CHANGES TO SERVICES
Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Services, Comcast Equipment and rates or charges, at any time with or without notice. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Services, including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, customer equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations. If we do give you notice, it may be provided on your monthly bill, as a bill insert, e-mail, in a newspaper or other communication permitted under applicable law. If you find a change in the Service(s) unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your Service(s). However, if you continue to receive Service(s) after the change, this will constitute your acceptance of the change.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

[ Edited ]

Queen-Evie

I always thought you have to have 30 days of notice if your price is going up.  Does it depend on state law or regulatory agreement?

Bears4ALL,

I never said I would sue any cable company, so please don't put words in my mouth.  I was just pointing out the regulation the way I understood them.     As far as the tvs.  NTSC is going away.     ATSC or ATSC/QAM is the normal types of tvs out there.  It is very hard to find a NTSC/ATSC/QAM or NTSC/ATSC tv.   I even having a hard time finding a Standard definition tv.  I know I am not use the correctly terminology but it easier for most people to understand.

If any of the other poster believe comcast is violating a regulation,  feel free  file a complaint to the FCC or the regulatory agency listed on your bill.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I have also heard they have to give 30 day notice if the price will increase or if there is a service change.

In the past, I have seen notices on my bill and/or gotten rate increase information sent to me via US mail.

According to what I posted, Comcast can use any method they want to inform customers of the increase. and changes. If they put it in the newspaper, but not on your bill or if they don't mail you the info, they are covered because the increase was announced. It matters not if someone missed seeing it in the paper or if they don't get the paper.

And even if it is on the bill, a lot of people don't check the bill carefully each month to read of upcoming changes. If they subscribe to eco bill, they may not look at the .pdf copy of the bill and will never see the announcement.

My point in posting what I did was to make people aware that there is a legal document provided by Comcast and that you are bound to the terms and conditions even if you didn't read them.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Stephens2011

usually when a service agreement is entered into there is a contract

i did not sign a contract

this is not a scrolling service agreement for internet services

from what i understood i had is a contract more than one of adheasion or a scrolling agreement

anyways, i think the best thing is simply to leave it alone, and forgive one another, as jesus would for what we perceive to be wrong

must humble ourselves and simply request forgiveness and move on

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

stephens2011.   

Signature is not require on a lot of contract anymore,  even some states modify their state law for contracts, so it can be done electronically.  If you don't like the terms,  the only option is to cancel.   In fact you can't sue a lot of cable companies because of the arbitration agreement in the terms.  However,  I think you can now opt of arbitration at anytime do to Federal law.     By not canceling service you are agreeing to the new terms & conditions.    It says that in the terms as well.

New Visitor
richierich29418

Class action lawsuit(s) should be filed against Comcast for many reasons.

I started my service in March 2011.  As of today's date Comcast has been unable or unwilling to solve problems with my HD and other channels.  They call the problem "pixelization".  I have sent letters to the head of the Charleston office, Bill Watson.  My last letter was ignored but after I sent the letter to the CEO of Comcast everyone in Charleston began calling me.  They gave me a whopping $25.00 off my service for the next 12 months, BIG DEAL! 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

do a google search for class action law suit and comcast and you will see there are many and they seems to always be one, so if you want to join the class contact the lawyers.

Contributor
the_1_n_only219

Don't worry guys Comcast is being sued right now as we speak for their monopilzation of the cable TV market in Behrend v. Comcast Corp and have lost other lawsuits with residents of Oregan and Philadelphia for the vary eact thing that this thread is about that is misleading customers.

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1348-comcast-monopoly-class-action-l...

http://stopthecap.com/2011/08/29/comcast-overcharged-philadelphia-875576662-class-action-lawsuit-dem...

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/02/comcast_settles_oregon_late-fr.html

Not only that and I hope someone from Comcast reads this you actually fired an employee for using his medical benefits that he earned for his hard service to your company Comcast is ran by a bunch of greedy low life people that should be sent to jail for everything that they do to their customers and their employees.

http://houstonemploymentlawsblog.com/2011/04/employee-claims-disability-discrimination-in-suit-again...

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This building is full of Comcast lawyers. Just sayin'.

Comcast-Center-2.jpg

Contributor
the_1_n_only219

Hehe if Comcast's lawyers were any good they would of got the case thrown out of court but since the 3rd Circuit Court feels that Comcast deosn't have a viable defense the trial is still going on so that big building does waste a lot of money for useless people that can't do their job. ;-)

Visitor

Dear CComcast_mislead,

I am a field technician for Comcast.Ive been with the company for 15 years.These sort of things happen for many reasons.I can assure you either the customer or the comcast employee misunderstood what the other wanted or had to offer.If we sold you a package that included high definition channels.Like any business, it would be the best interest for Comcast to bring the correct equipment to your home the first time and leave the customer satisfied.It's possible the tech ran out of H/D cable boxes because a customer from an earlier appointment needed an extra H/D box in another room or maybe one wasnt working properly when installed.But,there are many reasons,but,none is to scam you.That I am positive. Each time a technician comes out to a home for a service call,it costs the company approx.$75.paying the tech,gas,insurance,etc.We also get recognicion,bonuses,etc. for a low percentage of gobacks and service calls.Furthermore,we understand the importance of happy customers.Upset customers go elsewhere and post negitive messages online.I hope that helps.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Smoggin:

Almost every one at Comcast,that i have talked to. On phone or at my local office. Passes the buck to the customer,it is always your problem. Comcast never has a problem. When i had tv cable installed. The Comcast guy brought a big HD box in,could have cleaned used equipment. Plugged it in the wall,screwed cable in,and screwed a cable to tv,put tv on channel 3. Took is cell phone called someone. Said: if you don't have tv in 45 min. Call 1-800-Comcast. Now i have DISH more HD and cost LESS!  Dish service call = $00.00 Comcast service call = $25.00 Sounds like a scam to me.

New Visitor
richierich29418

I have had service problems over the last eight months with Comcast.  When I filed a complaint with the BBB Comcast's manager of operations stated the problems were all mine.  Then he DENIED sending the letter to the BBB. When I sent him a copy of his letter suddenly he offered me a refund for two months of service. 

Comcast has been at my house and they have replaced my DVR box, replaced the line from the street to my house and have been up and down the street replacing underground cables.  The fixes have helped but I still have issues which they now blame on everything EXCEPT their service. 

The internet and phone service is okay but the TV service is now where all the problems are.  The latest is Comcast has told me to take my service elsewhere as they can't give me the service they have advertised!!!!

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

When you post here,most of the people here try. The others will defend Comcast to the bitter end. Now i vote with my pocket book. All i can do is find others to supply me with the service Comcast offers. Tell people about the bad service Comcast has provided you. Tell them about the good service from Comcast compaction. 

New Visitor
mammallama2002

I'm about to cancel my services with Comcast, too, due to shady practices regarding my contract and everincreasing rate changes. 

I entered into a contract (I'm looking at my copy of the contract right now) and in it,  it states what the rate will be for 12 months and then a slight ($20) increase for the next 12 months.  NOWHERE on the contract does it say that the rates will continue to go up every year without notice OR that the rates were part of a temporary promotion that will eventually expire.  I was told at sign-up (he reiterated the fact several times)  that this wasn't a temporary price package.  Although I've had no trouble with the service itself (everything works as it should), I'm disgusted with their billing practices and will not support a company that treats it's consumers in that manner.  I have choices and I have a voice, which is heard through my pocketbook.      

I am a customer in good standing, not ONCE have I skipped a payment.  As a matter of fact, I have never been LATE on a payment.  Obviously they have no appreciation for their customers in good standing.   

Today, DishNetwork is coming to hook up my television and internet.  I wish I'd listened to others when they warned me of their negative experiences with Comcast.  Not one to judge another based on heresay, I gave Comcast the opportunity to prove that what I'd been hearing was wrong.  Not only did they not prove it wrong, they did exactly what people said they would do regarding ever increasing rates without notice. 

Buh-bye, Comcast. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

mammallama

From the Dish network home page

12-month price requires participation in Digital Home Advantage plan with 24-month agreement and credit qualification. Cancellation fee of $17.50/month remaining applies if service is terminated before end of agreement. After 12 months of programming credits, then-current price will apply. All equipment is leased and must be returned to DISH Network upon cancellation or unreturned equipment fees apply. Prices, packages and programming subject to change without notice.

I believe if you look in the Comcast bill they have the same fine print. DirectTV also. None of these companies play fair: the contracts are usually for promotions and the offers I get always show the second year price increase and then the full price after the second year. The latest offer I got doesn't even state if there is a one year or two year contract yet the offer is similar to ones I have gotten in the past that state a two year contract with the full price at the end of the contract.

Of course since I already have tv service this offer they keep sending me is for "new" customers only.

My local office may be able to get me the price but I have no inclination to sign a contract for television service.

New Visitor

Comcast for years told me I could not drop below a certain package when I tried to lower my bill for the entire time I have been with them, I looked online at their basic bottom prices and was told that would break up my bundled services and would in effect cost more than my 140.00 a month min  I was already paying.

While fighting to get my bill under control (every week thing it felt like) lightening carried into my house through an ungrounded cable line and fried my netgear their modem alot of my computer and my 17" hd monitor.

SO calling again they did replace my netgear router and suprise suprise gave me a 50.00 credit for my computer which cost 2500.00 to build and in todays market is a 3500.00 to relace, which i might add they suggest I pay my 1000.00 deductable on my house insurance to get it replaced, when it was whoever installed the line did not ground it. The xfininity crew that came out to replace their equipment did ground their line so that is now taken care of.

Now back to my bill after talking to another representitve, she said i could of course get all the basic packages, took all the past due off my bill and started me out at 65.00 total (with taxes and fees included)

and received a bill in my wifes e-mail stating this and was told not to make a payment until we got the next bill with charges adjusted.

SO we get the next bill and of course nothing has changed bill was same, comcast never returned call from their insurance department.

So for all you interested I am contacting an attorney to file a class action lawsuit for misleading faulty work resulting in damaged equipment and also pain and suffering due to the amount of time and literal headaches i have suffered from talking to to comcast.

As for comcast, i hope they realize we the customer make your lives possible, so just keep screwing us all 

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Commanguy:

Your are so busy defending Comcast. You don't look at the price per month and the number of channels,and HD. Dish or DirectTv will give people more programming and HD than Comcast,for less money. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Bill-1948 wrote:

Commanguy:

Your are so busy defending Comcast. You don't look at the price per month and the number of channels,and HD. Dish or DirectTv will give people more programming and HD than Comcast,for less money. 

I think that varies a lot by region. I did the math too and Direct TV came out to be about $5 a month less per month for about the same offering as Comcast. Comcast's business model is not to compete on price tho, so I'm sure if you look around you can probably find a pretty good deal with satellite.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Bill

I neither defend or condem Comcast.

For me DirectTv doesn't offer me the choice of my local PBS stations for my county, if I lived 1 mile north I could get them. Senseless. Yes the  price would work out lower for service cost per channel.

If I wanted to switch my best deal, not cost wise but channel wise, is my local telephone company. I choose not to at present since my eldery mother lives with me and she has issues using univeral remotes which the local teleco company boxes use. Cost would work out a few dollars cheaper but I get the channels I really want with out paying for the 40 or so extra I don't want. Also really can't afford the full package from them.

I do have issues of the way Comcast does things. I think they waste money and my time sending me the offer for reduced price for 6 months or 1 year of Digital Starter when it states for "new" customers on the letter.

When my area fully switches over to digital they don't even know if DTAs would work, or be allowed to rent, for Limited Basic service which I have. Those remotes my Mom can handle. Do I get a decent answer, no. At that point if they don't come up with an answer or reasonable price on the equipment needed for continuing service on two CRT tvs like renting DTAs I will look very seriously at my options. More than likely I will end up dropping my tv service with Comcast. We have done business with cable companies located at that same office since 1968. Telephone company only recently allowed to offer video service

Overall the customer service I get at my local office is great. Small town ethics I guess. The picture for me has been stable for years. So that way I would defend them but for my town only. The headend area gets more channels offered on Limited Basic then we get. No answer why. For that I don't defend them.

This is a choice service. There are problems. I have pointed them out to Comcast in private messages along with my feelings on them. A lot of what goes on in the forums can't get fixed.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

commanguy.

They should be allowed the DTA for the limited basic service.  They do for my area.  The only problem I had was activating them.   I couldn't activate them online or by the automated phone system.  A customer service rep had to do it.   I think she had to talk to a supervisor for my area before they activated them.  I ordered my dta's right away.

The other guy/gal is correct about the QAM issue.   I still have the paper.  It said DTA not required for QAM turners for limited basic.    According to my relative that also has limited service his QAM channel were scrambled despite the letter saying it wouldn't be.     I hate the way I have to record using a vcr.  I had to do a different way,  so I could record & watch different program.   I actually could use 4.    I am allowed 3 for free.  I am worried if I went to 4.   I don't mind the extra 50 cents  or $1.00 fee but it could trigger the $8.95 additional digital outlet-that I would mind.   However,  we are seriously consider going cold turkey with tv in 2013 and rent or purchase dvds.   We are watching more old shows then newer shows.

You should get a letter when you are required to get the DTA & they will tell you how many you can have for free.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

grday

Our area has already done the first phase of the digital migration. Every tier above Limited Basic is encrypted. The Limited Basic is still analog feed. Digital conversion of that is supposed to happen sometime but no one has a date yet.

When they encrypted channels I got the letter stating 2 Free DTAs. At the time I had Digital Preferred. I got the DTAs and they worked just like they were supposed to. Later I downgraded to Limited Basic for economic reasons. When I did that I was told to return the DTAs. In our market they apparently don't work just for Limited Basic and/or we are not allowed to rent them just for Limited Basic.

Recently I was asking about this again and in talking with someone from the regional office I asked about DTAs for Limited Basic. According to the person I was talking with the DTAs will only work with Digital Starter. They said they were coded that way, I suspect they meant the account had to be coded for Digital Starter.

So when they finally switch the Limited Basic tier to full digital no one is able to answer the questions of

1. Will DTAs be rented out for people that only need that level of decoding. I have two CRT tvs that work fine with them.

2. If DTAs are not going to be rented for this tier how much will the extra boxes cost? Full charge or the reduced rate they have in my area for Limited Basic tier only. And will the Additional Outlet Fee they still list on the rate sheet be applied.

So you can see why I neither defend or condem Comcast. Their service in my area for picture quality is good. Local office staff are great. The two times I needed a tech out they came in a resoanable time. For this I can give them marks.

But with the lack of internal communication as listed above and some of the issues you yourself have seen on the forums I can't say that Comcast is a top notch orginization either. No different than a lot of companies in some respects. Better at times in some.

For me at present they provide the service I require. If in future they can't figure out a answer on the DTAs for my area and others then I have one decent option for my personal choice. And if Comcast  chooses to have us use Set Top Boxes at more cost then I go the other route for tv service.

DirectTv doesn't offer a couple of things for me that makes me want to go that route at present. In future if they change then that is another option.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Commanguy:

We live in a Comcast Only service. I live in a small community also,service stinks on ice. When we retired,updated 3 TV to 3 flat screens. Comcast said all there HD was 1080p or what the local stations used. Had all channels package(also HD) except movie channels. I walked 3 receivers through my local Comcast office(that is for one set). No better picture,or sound. Every time it was not a Comcast problem,it was mine. It needed to be rewired. Comcast wired the house for 3 TV. Now you are going to charge me to do it agin!

To make a long story short Dish used the same cable, could not ask for better sound,and picture. That is why I agree that a lawsuit for misleading customers would be a good thing. 

Comcast may be a better company in other places. Wish I lived I one of them. Dish installer used a HDMI cable for HD service. Comcast just screw the cable on the back of the set. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Bill

I guess we are just lucky living in a small town that we get better customer service. We had TimeWarner before they got switched to Comcast.

Overall the switch was painless. No billing issues. Only thing that was a indicator of how Comcast tends to work sometimes...they moved two channels off the old Expanded Basic tier with short notice onto the old Digital Classic tier at the time.

And shortly after that a small rate increase. Those have been miniumal over the years.

I guess like I said overall for me Comcast works for now. If you read my response to grday it explains my outlook a little better.

I have never tried to stop someone on the forums for making a change to another provider if available to them. That is their choice. I will let them research their options. I will let people know ways they may try to work out any issues they have with Comcast. In private I may offer them my opinion on other options but I feel that information may not add anything to a posting in the forums.

I respect anyone's choice of television providers. And if I remember correctly you are out in the San Fransico area and from other postings I have seen others have issues with service. I am glad that Dish works for you. At present neither of the satellite services are for me not the way I would like to go.

And Comcast ( or the traditional cable service route) that we have had at our house since 1968 may not continue here in the future either. When it was a local company or owned by smaller firms they were good but limited. Time Warner kept the same service level with added offerings at a reasonable price.

Comcast was a change and not always for the better.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

[ Edited ]

commanguy

My area did the higher levels first.

Expanded basic got 2 dtas for free plus allowed to rent a box.  The digital outlet fee may kick in if you order an extra box or dta.

Limited service didn't get anything for awhile.

My area was allowed to rent a box for limited service & still is.  You had to pick up the box at the office. 

Now they allow 3 dta for free or 2 dtas for free plus a box rental.  The box rental is lower cost then expanded basic.  The digital outlet fee may kick in if you order an extra box or dta.

New Visitor
rickmu

New Visitor
rickmu

Comcast is a BULLY! a CHEAT! and a THIEF!

I paid good money to upgrade to digital TV when our government FORCED everyone to change over.  I was getting digital and analog through my Comcast cable and I was able to view my Analog & Digital TV's without the need for another box on the table to unscramble the signal.  I was getting HDTV signals too.

NOW because of Comcast I cannot watch my analog TV on the cable anymore and COMCAST has STOLEN my HDTV from me and I have to have some crummy descrambler box for each TV.  The channels are not programmable; I cannot program the TV to skip channels (WORTHLESS JUNK CHANNELS) that I do not want to watch.  I have to wade through Spanish, home shopping and sports crapp while channel surfing.

I'm being cheated and Comcast's attitude is – Too bad for you, SUCKER!