Regular Contributor
Nemo1220

Comcast raising rates, again!

Just got my monthly bill today and learned that Comcast is raising it's rates, again! As a digital started customer my rate hike will be $3 and some change. I'm already paying $67+ a month as it is. Now my bill will be over $70. And in return I am getting.....what?????

If Comcast would add some new channels with this rate hike, decent channels like National Geo, or GAC, or OWN rather than channels that  run old re-runs 24/7 I might not gripe.

Comcast claims the rate hike is to improve it's service. That is what they said last time and my service wasn't improved any. I had to get a digital cable box to keep viewing the channels I had, but there was no improvement with the picture or sound.

Come on Comcast. If you're going to gouge me even more at least throw me a bone and add another channel or two.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Comcast raising rates, again!

Yes, I'm seriously thinking about raising the old Antenna.....If only my wife would let me...:smileysad:

Recognized Contributor

I just got digital starter w/ dvr for the special price but in one year at 70, I doubt I will be able to keep it, we were on limited basic so from 20 to 70 thats awful for us!  (its 40 now for one year)

In this economy its just too difficult to spend this on entertainment.

By the way I get OWN on dig starter , Id really like nat geo too.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

Oh would I love to see Nat Geo back on Digital Starter. Just got the newest rate sheets and for Econmony Internet price increase of $2, modem rental up $2( from $5 to $7) and measly .85 cents increase for Limited Basic service and supposedly losing the Music Channel tier which is no big thing but still a  price increase. All service tiers; except Family tier; went up around $2. Family tier without Internet or Voice went to the same price as if bundled with Internet or Voice so the lone price dropped $10. Of course you can't add any of the premium channels to that tier. I admit I like a lot of the offerings that Comcast has for channels just wish they would put them in better packages. They will add two channels from Preferred tier to the Starter tier; neither one being Nat Geo and I wouldn't mind seeing Science channel, or Planet Green on Starter. Could lose BIO channel from Starter tier and keep that in Preferred.

And Additional Outlet fee goes up to $8.00 but now it includes the cost of the box and remote, that used to be another $7.45.

Recognized Contributor

In the words of Canadian folk singer Bruce Cockburn:

"The trouble with 'normal' is it only gets worse."

Visitor

[ Edited ]

I just saw the rate increases for my local area (Fall River, MA) as well on my bill.  Now I get to look forward to an approximate $4 increase per month.

Business cost increases my behind...maybe if so much money wasn't wasted on mailing me (and I'm sure other Comcast customers) multiple times every week about services we already have, or potential "upgrades" I could order, you'd save some decent money.

Besides, after this, who the heck will want to "upgrade" (or as I say, "up-pay") anything, when our everyday services are increasing in cost?

New Visitor
Sandra511

I agree. The rates are totally out of control, and even tho we have choices, it is a monopoly and we the customers are the big suckers. Can't afford to go to the theaters so we are stuck paying outrageous fees for home entertainment. I am considering going back and forth to competitors just to get special rates for a year.

You'd think they'd want to keep their current customers and accomodate us with new deals.

New Visitor
MrBlizzard

I received my next bill and noticed an increase. But what for? I didn't order or purchase anything extra. This is the typical bait and switch. Lure you in with one rate then increase it when you eyes are closed. Comcast, just to let you know, no one NEEDS this service. It is a luxury. I can live perfectly without it. I have been a very good customer that you are about to lose. Comcast could make money at the previous rates. Now Comcast want to make even more money doing the same exact service. Wish that I could say something positive. Also, take notice of all the small so called fees that slowly increase. Comcast is wrongly stating that they are fees, when they are actually taxes. 

Charles Blizzard

Eden, Maryland

New Visitor
fiendishfrenzy

not only do i "lose" money by the fact that people that dont bundle get tv for the same price as me (that was the only "deal" in the bundle) but i read ALL the fine print in the bill that got sent out with all the changes. i was told i would have to wait until april 1st to do anything. i call them today and spend HOURS on the phone with people that "cant do anything for me". family tier used to be sold as a package that included basic cable. according to the new bill, it is no longer a package, it is under VIDEO PROGRAMMING OPTIONS with sports package and multilatino...apparently comcast is STILL selling it as a package and the $14.99 that THEY advertised it as being "no change in price" is because when you got the "family tier add-on to basic" they would say this is how much basic is and well charge you $25 so family tier costs you $14.99...yeah NO its under options not packages. then they try and add it on for me..."too many basics, can not do". i say but my economy has basic (which is required to get family at all) "yeah that must be why" what?  ok well can you add sports package onto mine? "no that can only be added onto digital starter tier" WHAT?!?! first off, it SAYS on the bill that the video programming options can only be gotten if you have a box or purchase basic cable (which i have) and you tell me i cant add it to mine because its too many basics but another package in the SAME CATEGORY can be added to a package that ALSO HAS BASIC  (and not basic cable btw) THEN you look at the + and ++ fine print -   family tier and economy package do not include on demand, ppv, or music choice and can not be combined with service levels that include or require Digital Starter Tier....yeah i have economy (doesnt have or require digital starter) and i want family tier (which also doesnt have or require digital starter) so then i say what can be added to those packages? nothing. well then why say they cant be combined with certain things if they cant be combined with ANYTHING?!??! this is a cruel and inhumane joke to play on a mentally ill person. i signed up for hgtv and diy. 3 days after i signed they took it away and now they offer it to me for $14.99 and take that away too. SICK COMCAST

New Visitor
Tucsonbass

But the question is whether or not you can still raise your antenna??????

Seriously...we need to take action against Comcast for their one way attitude. They will only listen thier money flow taking a hit.

New Visitor
gigbiy

My service has not improved ever

Bronze Star Contributor
robob50

Although no one likes to see their bill go up,be it Comcast or Netflix,I always look at this way. How much is it costing per day? I estimated it to be costing us between $3.00 and $5.00 per day for at least Comcast. Depending what package you have?  Now I personally, watch enough on Comcast to justify that cost per day. Yes when the bill comes it,I'm like everyone else,HOLY S**T! But then I just think about what I just said here. I wish there were better options,but at least for me Comcast or Netflix is my only 2 options,

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

A little of topic.   I heard on the news that people were in a uproar about netflix price change.   However,  there still going up.    It is a little more fair.    If the news is correct there will be three plans.   Online only,  DVD mail only,   Combo.   Combo will cost more.        They were going to make those the get dvds only pay for Online streaming even if they didn't use it.    This is what I got from the news,  which could be totally incorrect.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

From Netflix site

How much does it cost?

For only $7.99 a month, you get unlimited movies & TV episodes instantly over the Internet to your TV or computer. There are no commercials, and you can pause, rewind, fast forward or rewatch as often as you like. It's really that easy!

Can I get DVDs by mail from Netflix?
Yes. During sign up, you can add unlimited DVDs (1 DVD out-at-a-time plan) for only $7.99 more a month. With DVDs by mail, you'll get an even broader selection of movies & TV episodes. You can exchange each DVD as often as you want with no due dates or late fees — ever! You can add access to Blu-ray discs to your account at any time for an additional $2 a month.

Bronze Star Contributor
demomanMLS

[ Edited ]

To paraphrase Princess Leia...

"The more you raise your rates, Comcast, the more customers will slip through your fingers."

I mean seriously still no Fox Soccer HD yet you raise our rates. Pathetic. 

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

Commanguy.   That the plan people got mad about,   There are some people that don't have high speed or  internet but just want to rent dvds by mail.    I think there planning on adjusting that next month.   Sorry for the off topic post.   My point that relates was netflix is going up.   However, I do agree that comcast goes up a little too often on price.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please, if your post is off topic, start another Thread instead of hijacking the OP's thread. Thanks!

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
blessedswine

as far as modem rental goes your throwing your money out anyhow 7$ a month.  http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...   in 10 months you would start saving money, i have been using my modem for 2 years now,  i paid 100 for it, if you do the math im saving money every month.  if i was renting for the last 24 months i would have spent 120 in the long run just buy the modem, stop paying them for the rental. if your worried its going to break buy the useless warrenty, or use a good surge protector on it.   

New Visitor
southpaws

After 2 years of getting robbed by comcast, We are gone. Gone to the other thieves. See you in 12 months.

New Visitor
edinam

I seriously considering dropping Comcast and switching to another service provider if Comcast keeps raising its rates.  One of the defenses that Comcast uses to justify raising the rates is that Comcast has added fifteen new channels when I only count about eight new channels.  I am tired of paying for seven access channels and nine duplicate channels which are AIB channels 5 and 295, PBA30 channels 16 and 97, TV Guide Network channels 27 and 177, Jewelry TV channels 31 and 149, Bloomberg channels 33 and 207, History Channel channels 52 and 126, Oxygen channels 79 and 198, Shop NBC channels 80 and 148, and NFL Network channels 118 and 289.  I have also found out that Expanded Basic/Digital Starter customers are paying for channels that they cannot receive unless they subscribe to HD service.  These channels are CSS Events HD channel 805, ESPN 3D, which requires additional equipment, channel 790, Palladia HD channel 850, Universal HD channel 870, and Velocity HD channel 844.  Digital Preferred customers are paying for these channels and MGM HD channel 894.  Digital Premier customers who don't have HD service are also paying for these channels.  These are six channels that customers are paying for but cannot receive without paying $9.95 or more per month for HD service.   Comcast is rasing the monthly rates on the internet service but not increasing the speeds.  What excuse are they going to give for raising the internet rates and not the speeds?

In 2011 Comcast started charging reactivation fees if your service is interrupted.  The fee is $5 per service.  Prior to 2011 you were not assessed a reactivation fees so why are they charging reactivation fees now?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg