Contributor
beaverwarrior82

Comcast, my family has been a lifelong customer of you guys since the very begining. What I am seeing coming into play is very disturbing.. My entire family ((5 people)) love and live on technology, and 99% of that connects to the internet. You guys capping our already unlimited service and then trying to charge us 10$ per 50gigs its rediculous! I keep getting spammed on EVERY SINGLE webiste i surf to or try to view stating that im reaching my Comcast Data Limit. Guess what guys???? that was on the 3RD day of the month!!! My tv,coffee maker,alarm system,5 computers, 3 smart phones, xbox,ps3, netflix,etc is ALL on the internet.. Me having to buy my son a 60$ ps3 game and then 15$ a month for ps3 live, THEN the internet bill + anyover data usuage is INSANE!! I am about ready to throw my screens outside due to this stupid annoying pop up telling me im reaching my limit.. PLEASE tell me how to stop this stupid thing..logining into xfinity doesnt help either.. If this continues my family and the 1000+ people i have on my social networks will find another alternative or just get back on DSL.. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves trying to charge people for a data limit when we are already paying for the service/maintainence... Thanks

Contributor
beaverwarrior82

Re: Data Cap

Also, anyone that would like to share their  thoughts or comments about this data cap, please feel free to do so.

Email Expert
Latoque

This is a customer to customer support forum for  dealing primarily with email, address book and calendar issues.  We are paying customers like you and can't address your pricing concerns.  You really need be in direct contact with Comcast on this.

The only Comcast employees in here have their names in red, and they only pop in here on no particular schedule from time to time.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Official Employee

[ Edited ]
Where do you live? There's only a handful of test markets that Comcast reinstated the cap to.
https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-are-the-different-plans-launc...
Contributor
beaverwarrior82

Jackson MS area

Official Employee

Yep that's one of them
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

beaverwarrior82 wrote:

I keep getting spammed on EVERY SINGLE webiste i surf to or try to view stating that im reaching my Comcast Data Limit. Guess what guys???? that was on the 3RD day of the month!!!

I don't know if there is a way to turn off the pop ups that Comcast is injecting. I'll look into it though. And you shouldn't be hitting your data cap in three days, you would on average be using 100GB a day! Something isn't right.

Contributor
beaverwarrior82

Well lets see..

I stream on twitchtv daily 

I make and upload youtube videos

I stream music off pandora which I pay for

I stream movies off Netflix 1-3 movies a day which I pay for

I paid for an online game (60$) (it also has a 15$ a month to play) and i have many of these.. which is where i get my content for my videos

My wife takes online classes and streams videos and music as well

My kids stream videos and movies as well after they complete their homework.

TV is a smart tv which is online and updates

Xbox 360 for gaming 

cell phones updating and youtube videos off them

in the words of Forrest Gump:

and thats all i got to say about that...

So yea lots and its a living for me also..

I dont understand how they can select a city like that and push it on us

we have been customers for a very long time..

now all of the sudden im being forced to use a service i didnt agree on and being charged for it. 

its the 10th and im currently almost @ 800gigs of data from what their site says.. its insane!

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

beaverwarrior82 wrote:

its the 10th and im currently almost @ 800gigs of data from what their site says.. its insane!

At your current rate of consumption you will have used around 2 Terabytes of data in one month. A lot of small business don't even use that much data. NASA doesn't even use that much data. :smileywink:

If you are going to continue to use that much data you should consider getting Business Class for internet. There is no data cap for Business Class users. (And no, you don't really need to have a business.)

Contributor
apkJeremyK

I think OP is exaggerating a bit on data use as I do pretty much the same stuff.

But I will be 100% honest, the first day I hit my data cap when it comes back, I will be switching to RR/BHN. I like that comcast has better upload speeds at a bit less of the cost, but I just won't settle for being capped when no one else is doing it. Hopefully I won't hit it too soon, but I more than expect to with all the movie streaming, steam downloading, and twitch streaming that I do. 

It is unfortunate, so far I have enjoyed my service. But it is what it is. We are becoming more data dependent, and comcast, and the cell phone companies, are pushing back to bank on that fact.

Contributor
apkJeremyK

"If this continues my family and the 1000+ people i have on my social networks will find another alternative or just get back on DSL.."

Your twitch channel has a total of 105 views, ever, in its existance.

Your twitter account has 4 followers.

1 person has you in their google+ circle

Your youtube account has 0 videos uploaded, 1 subscriber.

Unless there is another "Beaverwarrior82", I am not sure if your threat is going to hold very much weight. Something tells me your exaggeration of followers is right in line with your exaggeration of data usage. Torrent less.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

apkJeremyK wrote:

I think OP is exaggerating a bit on data use as I do pretty much the same stuff.

But I will be 100% honest, the first day I hit my data cap when it comes back, I will be switching to RR/BHN. I like that comcast has better upload speeds at a bit less of the cost, but I just won't settle for being capped when no one else is doing it. Hopefully I won't hit it too soon, but I more than expect to with all the movie streaming, steam downloading, and twitch streaming that I do. 

I have a family of 5, three of them teenagers. All of our TV viewing is done online, I work online, we also Steam, game, two of my kids have Youtube channels etc. Our typical use is 4-700GB a month. 

Under the proposed caps, we'll probably be OK. But I'm with you. If the data cap becomes a problem for us, I'll switch to FiOS in a heartbeat. 

Contributor
apkJeremyK

Sounds like you will break the cap pretty quick even with their top tier if you hit 700. I don't have many options in Orlando. BHN is in the process of installing lines in my community. I don't want to make the switch because of the bad experience I had, and the fact they are more expensive for less bandwith (especially their upload tiers). But ya, the first day I come close to the limit on Blast! im out. I am not going to support this shift that is happening with data providers. 

I am still kicking myself for losing my unlimited data with verizon when I added my girlfriend to my account forcing me into a new family plan.

Contributor
beaverwarrior82

i dont believe i posted my twitchtv info nor my youtube channel anywhere for anyone.. but im glad you cared enough to go searching for us..

my comment about the 1000 people is the biggest fastest means of getting information/news to the world... facebook... and the customers we have from our family business..  everyone knows good news 

travels fast but bad news travels faster.. and yes we have looked into other ISPs if the cap stays and we are charged for overages, we will be sadly leaving comcast.. you would think that there was a terms of service somewhere.. i would love to read it ..

Contributor
beaverwarrior82

Well they dang sure covered their bases there didnt they lol... Thanks for the reply...

wonder if there is a site or place where it shows all the comcast customers that are planning of terminating service due to the data limits/charges.. If you guys find one let me know..

Contributor
apkJeremyK

I sent a feedback messasge to comcast saying "Just wanted to let you know, as soon as the datacap hits in Orlando I will be termiinating my services immediatetly." 

I doubt it would do any good, even if thousands of us sent them feedback. They seem pretty dead set with the idea of data capping us. I am just glad the new house I moved into is getting a second provider in place this month so I have the option of dropping when this happens.

Regular Contributor
Nekura

[ Edited ]

I "signed" a contract with Comcast under the explicit reason of making sure I would never had a bandwidth cap, which they now state never happened and refuse to pull the audi they recorded where it was specifically stated.

Only ONE market has the 700gig for the extreme service, EVERYONE ELSE has 300gig. You are WAY WAY WAY WAY over your cap man. 400-700gig standard would be at LEAST $80 extra each month for you. 300gig on each service is COMPLETELY insane. I can understand larger caps the higher teir service you have, but can ANYONE here honestly say that the Extreme 50/105 should have a 300gig cap? I can fill that in 6.5 hours.

You want to EASILY blow 300gig in days, then connect to a VPN and then RDP into a machine and just work. Add any remote office file transfers in that, and you will hit 300gig in no time at all, days easy. Add streaming in HD, OS/Game/phone/tablet updates, music streaming, online games, and anything that involves the cloud (including iTunes, Apple Store, Google Store etc) people will BLOW through this cap in no time. I HAVE done 2 terrabytes before on a BUSY month (well 1.7tb) and while pretty out of the norm for me, all it took was a busy work month with more than usual upload/downloads.

With 4k HD coming out for stream (and 3d HBSS) more than doubling the bandwidth for a stream, FLAC music streaming, and nearly ALL software resellers going FULLY online only, this 300gig cap is so low if someone did not know you were serious they would assume you were making a BAD JOKE or actually mean celluar data caps.

If Comcast wants to block the excessive users, thats fine, set a real world limit to what is excessive (1.5tb + a month), create a plan to fit those users or force them to buy your highest tier plan which if 100% no cap, and stop making everyone ELSE suffer for your lack of infrastructure and your COMPLETE INSANE lack of understanding as to what is considered "standard" monthly usage now days.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Nekura wrote:

I HAVE done 2 terrabytes before on a BUSY month (well 1.7tb) and while pretty out of the norm for me, all it took was a busy work month with more than usual upload/downloads.

A 2TB data cap is not going to happen any time in the foreseeable future for residential customers. If you need to transfer that much data, you should consider Business Class. 

Regular Contributor
Nekura

Oh no doubt on 2tb. I actually listed excessive as 1.5tb, but then again I said that the Extreme 50/105 should either had caps that high or unlimited for the $100+/mnth they cost. The main point is the rediculousness of 300gig in our current online lives. It's so low it's a slap to the face and kick to the groin for those of us that already pay over $100.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Everyone has different levels of usage. We typically use 400-700GB a month, so we'll be over 300GB too. I'm hoping they will go with the plan that give Extreme users more data. That only makes sense. If the data cap becomes a problem for us, I'll switch to FiOS.

Regular Contributor
al1701

Well we live in the Jackson, MS area and the cap just SUCKS.We signed up a year ago after having issues with ATT and we were told it was unlimited, also. We just needed the speed increase from 6Mbps to 50+Mbps to handle gaming on 3 pc's, 5 smartphones, 3 Ps3's, 5 HD Directv box + 2 HDDVR all on whole home internet setup, ATT Microcell tower to get reliable cell service in the house which uses the internet connection (no charge for data when on ATT DSL before) but not now, plus 3 laptops, a media server, add in Netflix and Amazon Prime HD video streaming and we hit "801 GB" for August and are on track for 500 - 550 gb for September 2013. Previous months were all over the 300 gb cap, 462gb and 696gb.

At this rate we will be paying $123.00 + a month for Blast if we keep running at 550gb monthly. Thankfully only a few days left before reset.

Cspire has just annouced they will start rolling out their 1Gps broadband in Mississippi soon and probably no caps. When it comes to our area in Pearl/Brandon we will switch over for sure, screw Comcast.

I had considered going with a Business Plan to eliminate the caps, but you have to lock into a contract of 1,2 or 3 years depending on how much you want to pay for installation. Service is $110 for same speeds but they get you on the high install fee with 1 year contract to commit. I sure don't want to sign my life away for 3 years to get cheaper install fee so they can come back a say "Hey we need to cap business some too" so everyone gets a fair share.

This is what happens when there is no competition for them and why screw just some areas with the cap?

Regular Contributor
al1701

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

beaverwarrior82 wrote:

I keep getting spammed on EVERY SINGLE webiste i surf to or try to view stating that im reaching my Comcast Data Limit. Guess what guys???? that was on the 3RD day of the month!!!

I don't know if there is a way to turn off the pop ups that Comcast is injecting. I'll look into it though. And you shouldn't be hitting your data cap in three days, you would on average be using 100GB a day! Something isn't right.

Well Comcast is saying I have used 12gb since 12 am 10-01-13 and my rounter is showing 9.24 gb so where did the other 2.76gb come from. I kind of trust my Asus router more than i trust Comcast if figuring data usage. Everything goes thru the router so it should know how much data it is transmitting and receiving. Maybe Comcast is padding his usage some,LOL... anywhat at this rate of usage which is below our 20gb daily average we will once again go over the 300gb cap.

Regular Contributor
al1701

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

apkJeremyK wrote:

I have a family of 5, three of them teenagers. All of our TV viewing is done online, I work online, we also Steam, game, two of my kids have Youtube channels etc. Our typical use is 4-700GB a month. 

Under the proposed caps, we'll probably be OK. But I'm with you. If the data cap becomes a problem for us, I'll switch to FiOS in a heartbeat. 

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

apkJeremyK wrote:

If you are using 400-700gb a month you will always be over the 300gb cap (if that is in place like we have in Jackson,MS) and you will have to pay $20 - $80 a month extra over your current bill. That's NUTS!!! for using it something i was told was unlimited use. We had 800 gb in August and September was 531gb. I just don't believe the comcast garbage that 99% omly use 12gb average or whatever figure they thru out. It's just NOT true!!!! Too many people are now streaming movies, online games, Ipads, tablets phones,etc. I just don't beieve the figures and stats, just propaganda.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I'm hoping for their other plan that allows 600GB for Extreme 105 users. 

New Visitor
nonamegiven

[ Edited ]

The worst part about this is the language they decided to use in the notification.

At Comcast, we recognize that our customers use the Internet for different reasons and have unique data needs. As a reminder, starting October 1, 2013, Comcast will trial a new monthly data plan in this area, which will increase the amount of data included in your XFINITY Internet Service to 300 Gigabytes ( GB ) and provide more choice and flexibility.

More choice and flexibility? How does changing my plan from unlimited to capped give me more choice and flexibility?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Comcast had a 250GB cap in place since 2008 before they suspended it to trial two new data plans.

One was the 300GB plan.

When I signed up for Comcast Internet in 2009 I was told it was unliimited also. The 250G cap was in place then, the local staff apparently was not told about it at that time.

Regular Contributor

so it is probably something that cannot be won. ATT and Verizon do caps and then charge per gb over that limit. The caps are not about the cost of delivering. Comcast can deliver there is no BS about congestion and only 1% will be effected.

http://consumerist.com/2012/12/18/new-report-says-cash-cow-data-caps-are-about-pleasing-investors-no...

well i am the 1% i stream tv, play games, work on vpn. But my biggest hit is the backup data service. I backup my home server to the cloud and easily roll over 300 gb per month.

I agree with other posters here. If you buy the top tier you should be uncapped. cap the lower tiers i would consider the 105 tier if it was cap free.

New Visitor
cindibarnes

We have gone of the CAP with what I consider everyday usage - gaming- netflix- etc... for the past 3 months. Something has to be done or I am ditching comcast. Quote

Regular Contributor
al1701

[ Edited ]

cindibarnes wrote:

We have gone of the CAP with what I consider everyday usage - gaming- netflix- etc... for the past 3 months. Something has to be done or I am ditching comcast. Quote

Well, here it is the 15th of the month and we just got our 90% of usage reminder that we will today probably go over the 300 gb cap, "AGAIN". We still have half of the month to go and at this rate will hit 600gb usage. How do they expect us to use the internet that they told me I had "unlimited access" to with these type of caps imposed on us. At this rate we will use up our 3 free months pass or grace periods by the end of the year to get acclamated to the new stranglehold of 300 gb cap. I either fork over an additional $60 a month to cover the cap overage or move to a business plan a get locked in for 1-3 years, plus installation fees upfront to get out of the cap situation.

Just like at lot of others I was told there was no data cap when I signed up for "Blast Plus". It wasn't until later I found out there was a cap. but they were not enforcing it. I guess this was to get people hooked on using it then like a drug they can't get unhooked when they are told to cut back. It is just ludicrous and plain just wrong.

Problem is in our area, Jackson/Pearl MS we have no "real" competition. AT&T is slow by comparison even if you can get their "U-verse" service and they have a 250gb cap in place, also. Not sure if they enforce it and charge you more or throttle you back when you go over.

Contributor

I recieved my 80% notice today. Everyone in my family has been warned to watch data consumption. Sadly even with the warning..even with very moderated use...in less than 5 hours we have used 3 Gigs...

It is frustrating knowing that my son, who enjoys gaming and streaming with his friends(I know he is home safe and sound and he feels connected to his peers) will suffer the most. Mainly because I have 0 options to upgrade to a higher cap because i live in rural TN. 

Keep in mind Comcast..i won't mind payin a lil extra for going over data. At least make it fair and reasonable. Maybe $10.00 for 100G...

Right now im looking at $60 dollars more a month by Jan (Esp since family will be indoors in the cold more)

Regular Contributor
Nekura

Oct 18 here, and I have done nearly EVERYTHING possible to NOT go over. I have had to walk to free wifi spots to send my files for work, and even then am almost t o300gig FOR JUST MINOR BROWSING and my RDP into my work box. That's it. No downloading all over, no movies, I think the g/f streamed one video, and even after all that NOTHING I am still going to go over.

There is no ifs or buts, either this is corrected, as I am on a contract stating no caps in the "signing recording" or you cancel this contract and lower me to the lowest tier you have. I already have a BBB complaint in, and am looking at going to the Georgia Business Alliance. This is a change to contract introducing SUPER strict caps, and I expect you to either honor my contract or allow me out of it.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

nekura wrote

There is no ifs or buts, either this is corrected, as I am on a contract stating no caps in the "signing recording" or you cancel this contract and lower me to the lowest tier you have. I already have a BBB complaint in, and am looking at going to the Georgia Business Alliance. This is a change to contract introducing SUPER strict caps, and I expect you to either honor my contract or allow me out of it.

If you want the above issue to be noticed by Comcast try this

Send an e-mail to this address

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name

service address

phone number

account number

link to this thread

full details of the problems

You may have seen this listed before but just so you know the forums are mainly a customer to customer help forum with limited monitoring by Comcast employees. A official employee may not see your posting here.

While it is more expensive there is always the option of a Business Interent account, no caps at present.

Regular Contributor
Nekura

I am aware of the business class, and that is actually what I WAS going to get after this contract was up, but darnit it is the principle of the matter now! I signed a contract to guarantee I would not have caps, and they broke that. They refuse to respond back (I have sent a mail to that e-mail) and when I call they always tell me they "lost the recording" or "can't access those recordings".

I am getting jerked around, hung up on, and no responses in forums. My BBB complaint has gone unanswered and I have submitted ANOTHER complaint today. I am not asking for free stuff, money back, etcetc, I want what my contract was for, or I want my contract gone.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I know what you mean. When I first got the Internet service with Comcast I came from my local phone company.

I asked if the service was unlimited and told "yes" ( over 4 years ago). This was just after Comcast defined the 250GB cap but it still wasn't out in writing, even to the Comcast staff in offices. In fact when I found out about the cap I mentioned it to the local office staff and they acted like I was wrong.

Bronze Star Contributor
TurnerBrewer

Comcast Data Caps = Me using ADBLOCKER

If Comcast implements data caps on my internet then I will use ADBLOCKER 100% of the time.

I will not have advertisements and embedded video that I care nothing about going against my usage.

Comcast is just as bad as the Airlines that try to nickle and dime their customers to death.

Most Valued Poster
NewView

[ Edited ]

These data caps are a transparent attempt to control those of us who have elected to drop Comcast cableTV and stream our entertainment directly from the internet.

Comcast has seen the handwriting on the wall, consistently losing cableTV customers for years as people rebel against their drastic twice-a-year pricing increases and electing to either cut the cord, or go with another TV provider, frequently keeping Comcast HSI because, quite franky, broadband competion and choice is sadly lacking in many areas of the country, and Comcast wants to keep it that way.

Comcast lobbies Congress to keep this lack of competition as a viable business model, as well as supporting political candidates who drink their kool-aid with PAC and direct candidacy donations. They also directly fight any local municipality or government attempts to build out a fiber project:and offer faster, unlimited internet access at much cheaper rates.

Comcast is donating heavily to defeat the mayor who is bringing gigabit fiber to Seattle
New Visitor
designerfx

go ahead, comcast. Go ahead. Implement a cap.  You will immediately violate net neutrality principles.

I will go to our AG's as fast as I can, followed by the press, followed by dropping comcast forever.

That is what will happen here. 

If you think you can pull stuff like this: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Users-Neutral-to-Slightly-Positive-About-Usage-Caps-12646... 

and claim people are even remotely lukewarm about the idea? You are outright being dishonest.  Nobody wants usage caps, comcast benefits 100% and the customers lose 100%.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Data caps are not new. There has been a data cap at Comcast since 2009. They actually raised the cap from 250 to 300GB and gave consumers a way to go over the cap w/o getting their service cut off. The new plan is not generous enough as far as I'm concerned, but it's hardly a criminal case to take to the AG. 

New Visitor
ms_shuffles

Unbelievedly ridiculous. I havent been with Comcast too long but they're service appealed to me, despite the slighter higher prices. With everyone streaming music/videos/shows these days as their main form of entertainment (forgoing TV subscriptions), how can Comcast justify this? What we already pay for now gives us unlimited. Now Comcast is saying--well, your money is not good enough for unlimited so we'll keep you paying the same rate you are now, take away unlimited and cap it, and then CHARGE you extra when you go over your limit!!! Comcast--I will go elsewhere. Period. I hope youre listening to your customers.

New Visitor
synikil

I just got my email saying they are capping us here in the ATL area.. I am NOT HAPPY!  300gb is beans and this is TOTAL robbery and bullying!

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

ms_shuffles

Comcast was never unlimited, they had a data cap in place since late 2008. The prior data cap was 250GB and considered a soft cap. Generally wasn't enforced unless someone really abused the system from other reports.

From what I have seen looking at other providers many seem to have some sort of cap in place. My brother has Charter and they have a 250GB cap. And when you hit that they supposedly throttle his download speed after the cap is exceeded.

Just look closely at the other providers is all I am saying.

New Visitor
rlp122

[ Edited ]

I am in one of the new test markets as well.  I have Blast service.  Now that service comes with a 300GB cap. 

I have a family of four; a wife and two teenage children.  We rarely watch broadcast TV.  The majority of our entertainment comes from the Internet.  Netflix, Youtube, Social media and gaming.  Our last three months have been between 400GB and 700GB a month.  If my calculations are correct I will be roughly doubling my Internet bill.

Why would I pay $70 a month for a service where I have to pay more by the middle of every month?  To answer this, I won't.  I will change service providers yet again.  $140 a month for Internet service is crazy regardless of how much bandwidth I use.  Other countries do not have usage caps and pay less per month than we do.

I have to say that I am severely disappointed with Comcast.  I moved to Comcast to get away from the poor service that AT&T has in my area.

I suppose as much as I hate to do it, I will have to go back to AT&T.  Even though the service is dirt slow at least they aren't trying to money grub with data caps.

New Visitor
haloleon

I'm in the same situation..   

My monthly usage is roughly 400 gb - that's three people, each playing Netflix and doing their own thing. Comcast has totally screwed over the people who actually use their service. I already pay $70 for internet.. How is it possible that data can be that expensive? 

I think a class action lawsuit is in the works again.. Comcast violates net neutrality and now they are gougeing a resource that is common in today's society.  Data is only going to become more prevalent as we download more things and use more online services..  metering this into execessive rates means they are going to be hurting all of us. Imagine when  4k televisions become popular in a couple of years and a movie on netflix requries  4-5 gb of data to download or a Youtube video becomes 1gb. 

You have two kids, each watch 100+ videoes a month - there goes your data.. 

Contributor
hunnypuppy

Vote for google fiber to come to where Comcast lives. Nothing like competition to get overpaid execs back in line.

See AT&T vs Google fiber in Austin, AT&T went from 10mpbs to 1Gbps overnight and no limits

Contributor
ehow78

Comcast's new trial data cap plan: My intent to leave

Dear Comcast,

This is in response to an email from you on 11/07/2013 about this new trial data plan in my area where you're offering a base 300GB cap and then charging $10 extra for 50GB blocks of data over that and so on.  I don't want this to come off as me seeming outraged, but rather frustrated, disappointed, and simply tired.  I will be civil in this post, but please don't take this as me being content with this trial by any means.

The email states that 300GB is enough for most homes and that this $10 extra charge for 50GB blocks of data over that as a flexible option.  Here's my problem with this notion.  My household has just two members, my wife and myself and we utilize many Internet-based services between the two of us with a heavy focus on video and gaming.  While the previous trial was going on where there was no data cap, we were using between 400GB - 500GB of data a month and I can only imagine that this would be even higher if we were a family of four with kids using these servers.  I've had other Comcast customers tell me just that and I just can't understand where this low number came from where the previous cap was 250GB and after all the evaluating during the cap-free trial we're only getting an extra 50GB before being upsold on additional data.

I can't help but feel this is more of the result of certain figure heads and organizations out there who are urging cable companies to keep data caps in place as a money-grab (you know who I'm talking about) instead of giving customers what they want.  I understand you have to make money here and I get that, I really do, but these artifical data caps are getting out of control and you're missing the biggest money-grab of all....really really really happy customers.  When you give customers what they want, you not only get money, you also get customers with goodwill toward Comcast and they will spread that to all their friends and family which in turn gets Comcast more money.

Consider the below alternative data plans that could have come out of the cap-free trial:

1. A 300GB base cap at 20MB down for customers who actually don't use a lot of data and upsell them the $10 extra for blocks of 100GB of data instead of 50GB.  This could be the lowest priced plan.
  2. A 450GB base cap at 40MB down for customers who use more data and upsell them the $10 extra for blocks of 100GB of data.  This could be the mid-level plan.
  3. A no-cap plan at 50+MB down for power customers.
  4. Or how about no caps for anyone and you simply charge more for different tiers of speed instead.

Granted, the last option would be the most favorable for most of us but either option here is better than what I'm seeing in this new trial.  It also would show that Comcast is aware of the change that is coming with more and more services going online with things like digital next-gen gaming, more content streaming services (including 4K), etc. and say, "We're on your side, here are some options for all the different flavors of customers we have out there!"  What I'm seeing with this trial says, "We see this coming change in Internet use and we're going to charge you for it." 

As it stands now, my wife and I are paying around $80 a month for 50+MB down with these artifical caps and now stand to be charged over $100 a month with this new trial.  Meanwhile, other areas of the country are starting to get close to 1GB down speeds for this $80 monthly price with no data caps with other companies and even local governments in some cases.  Fair warning Comcast, if you keep listening to these figure heads and organizations urging you to keep these artifical data caps (again, you know who I'm talking about), then over time you're going to find yourselves in the same boat BlockBuster is in now when they resisted change so stubbornly when the Netflix model came out.  And just like with BlockBuster, customers will remember how Comcast is treating them now with this Internet service and when everything does change and Comcast is finally trying to get onboard, it won't matter because customers will be so jaded with these bad memories that we won't be coming back no matter what.  If this new trial turns out to be the new finalized plan in 2014, then I will be one of those customers.  Now is the time to stop this from happening Comcast.....right now.

Security Expert
CajunTek

Re: Comcast's new trial data cap plan: My intent to leave

Now I do have a curiosity. Check the competition.... Other than Verizons FIOS Comcast has the largest caps out there.

TANSTAAFL!!

Regular Contributor
alfnator

"Comcast has the largest caps out there."

Nope, Google fiber has no caps 1GB up and 1GB down, allows personal servers and is 70 bucks a month.

Comcast continues going forward with this cap limit B$ they might not like the end result.

Those limits and existing bandwith provided by the ISP Oligopoly is cutting into future revenues for Google. Google will go full force with their existing google fiber implementation and comcast does not want that.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

alfnator wrote:

"Comcast has the largest caps out there."

Nope, Google fiber has no caps 1GB up and 1GB down, allows personal servers and is 70 bucks a month.

If Google Fiber was available in more than .01% of the country, you might have a point. 

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Just my two cents: Comcast like other company's use the caps as a way to get a bigger bottom line. One other reason may be there system is out dated, and not wishing to upgrade. We must let comcast know that we do not like the new caps. The post here will most likely will go unnoticed by comcast.

You may wish to try email. 

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Also you may wish to try Facebook and Twitter. Comcast is there 24/7.