Contributor
TigersFan85
Accepted Solution

Digital Adapter some channels don't work

I recently installed digital adapters on tvs in 2 bedrooms. The DA in one room works great. However, in the other room 10 channels don't work (18-Library, 26-TNT, 31-MSMKT, 42-ABC Family, 48-Headline News, 52-FoxSportsSouth, 55-Weather Channel, 64-Fox News, 71-History, and another). Is that one DA mesed up? How can it be if only those 10 don't work? Or is something wrong with comcast's activation of that DA? What do I do?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Digital Adapter some channels don't work

The activation is all or nothing.

More likey it is a weak signal to that TV outlet.  Unless you can rearrange your splitters, including reducing hte number of active outlets, or reduction in splitters, to improve the signal.

Otherwise, you should call Comcast for a tech visit to find and fix the reason for the low signals.  It could even be low coming into the home, or issues with old coax, old splitters, old / loose / corrorded F connectors, and workmanship issues with the existing coax in the home.

The tech will have the proper test equipment to find and fix the issue, but if it's inside with the wiring, which the homeowner owns, there might be a flat rate repair charge to fix it.

The digital signals are carried at higher frequencies than the old analog channels, and there are more issues with loss at those higher frequencies.

Contributor
TigersFan85

If my main issue was with a weak signal or bad coax wouldn't it randomly affect any channel? It seems to only be these specific channels. That's what makes me think it could be a problem with the adapter itself. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

No, a signal issue can certainly just affect part of the band of frequencies, and only knock out some channels.

You certainly can either call Comcast and have them send a hit to the box, or take the box to the local office for a swap.

A tech visit would take care the issue, either a bad DTA box, or a signal issue.  It is your choice on what to do with this.

A tech visit would be call for especially if your coax wiring, drop cable & fittings have not been looked at or replaced for the last 5 to 10 years.

Contributor
TigersFan85

All the channels work now. Maybe it just took some time for all the equipment to sync up.

Visitor
sweetiepee99

We had the same problem; some channels were fine...others said that we needed to contact Comcast because we'd lost the connection.  We replaced the cable that runs from the splitter to the TV...bought one that said it was specifically for digital TV's (appx. $25 for a 25-ft. cable).  Worked like a charm. 

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

There is no such thing as a digital cable wire. All you did was replace a piece of bad cable with a good one. Any good cable would have worked. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

RG6 cable works better with digital frequencies. The older RG59 works better with analog signals. It can cause issues with picture.

Had an old section of that in my house. One channel always looked like it was out of sync, like the old horizontal or vertical sync out of whack pictures from the cave man days (my youth).

Replaced it and snap, picture good.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

But there is just no reason to pay $25 for a piece of cable because someone calls it "digital".

Visitor
sweetiepee99

Guess I should have clarified....  I had called Comcast for help because in addition to missing channels, we also had the 'out of whack' picture (as Commanguy said).   They refreshed the signal a couple of times, to no avail, so I scheduled an appointment with a technician for next week.  In the meantime, I read several of these blogs, and one person suggested replacing the cable, particularly if ours was old.  We had the old RG59 cable, so went out and bought the new cable (the package said it would work for digital... didn't say it was specifically for digital).   The money spent on the cable was still cheaper than what it might have cost for the technician's visit and a new cable (plus the expense of taking time off from work).  All-in-all, I think it was $25 well spent.  My TV has been working great since we replaced the cable.  Thanks, everyone, for your help.  These blogs are most helpful!