New Visitor
TTT2341

Early Termination Fee Question

I recently decided to switch to DirecTv because I was paying an outrageous amount with Comcast and could get more for 1/3 of the price through DirecTv. DirecTv installed everything yesterday so I contacted Comcast today to cancel my cable. I was told by the second lady I was transferred to that I was under a contract that doesn't end until 5/2013...I had NO idea I was under a contract. I did receive a 6 month promo rate for signing up with Comcast last year but after the promo rate ended, I paid full price for everything (Cable/Internet Double Play and Xfinity Voice) and assumed that was the only contract I was ever in.

I spoke with 3 different customer service people at Comcast today and of course none of them could tell me how much the early termination fee was. All they said was, "Please return your equipment to a service location".

So my question is, does anyone have any idea how much the early termination fee is for just canceling the cable? Also, would I be charged additional termination fees if I canceled my internet and phone as well?

I would like to switch everything to DirecTv because it's much cheaper but I'm not going to if I will be charged fees for each individual thing. Thanks for any help!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Early Termination Fee Question

no one here on this user to user forum can tell you what your early termination fee would be.   You will not be charged for each service you cancel.  I think the early term fee is some where in the 250 range.   What are you going to do for internet and phone as you can't get that through directv?

New Visitor
TTT2341

It's just very odd to me that it's not listed anywhere on Comcast's website (that I can find) and no one seems to know, even their employees. With DirecTv, they clearly state in multiple places on their website, emails they send you, and on the phone that you are entering into a 2 year contract and you will be charged $20 a month for every month you cancel early. It's very frustrating that Comcast seems to hide all this information.

For Internet and phone, DirecTv partners with AT&T and Verizon and you get a pretty big discount for bundling everything rather than if you went straight to the providers.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Comcast is not just one big company its a bunch of local franchises, that is why nothing is written on the web as its different by market.  That's why comcast service is great in some areas and not in others.   Also when you call you never get anyone local to you so they don't know, you also don't ever sign any agreements with them so that is not written anywhere.  Try sending an email here.

To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post

New Visitor
TreeCare

I too have had very frustrating service from Comcast.  I've been in business for myself 18 years and have dealt with hundreds of vendors and at least 5 landline/cell phone providers.  I've always been pleased with the service I've received until I switched to Comcast.  It took weeks and weeks to get our account up and running and the phones working properly.  We had trouble with our phone numbers and caller ID's, which I’d estimate cost us between $10-15k in lost business in the summer of 2011.  Due to our phone issues we permanently lost some valuable customers, it's hard to put a $$$ amount on that loss.  After countless phone calls and dozens of wasted hours we finally began to receive the phone, caller ID and internet service we were promised.

When I hear "Comcast Business Class" I think "First Class".  It sounds classy, but I definitely feel like I receive anything buy first class service.  I'd love to speak with a manager who actually has some authority to get my account closed out so I can move on.  Every time I ask for a manager I'm told that they are all "busy" or "in a meeting".  I spend a sizeable amount with Comcast each month.  Their poor service on their business end makes me want to cancel my Comcast Cable TV service at home.  

What can I do to speed up the termination of my Comcast Business Class service? 

I have stopped paying my bill and a rep called today and I said I was happy to pay my April and May bill once my service was terminated.  He was helpful and transferred me to a representative named Ed who what perhaps the most helpful person I’ve spoken to at Comcast thus far.  Unfortunately he couldn’t get it done either.  I’m waiting on a call back from Jennifer. 

I have called in several times in the last few weeks and still do not have my service canceled.  One rep asked me to produce a "Bill of Sale" or "Organizational Chart" to prove my ownership of my company so he could speak with me.  I explained that the most fraud proof way to confirm me as the owner is to verify my ownership with the Secretary of the State and provided links in my email to him proving my ownership.  This didn't work, which was disappointing.  Anyone with a computer can produce a false "Bill of Sale" or "Organizational Chart" so why not actually go to a reputable source and help prevent fraud (I trust the extra steps are to prevent fraud, not just to make it more difficult for me to cancel my service).  When sent a copy of the "Contract" there are a bunch of pages that I never saw or signed.  The one I signed has clearly been faxed by its distortion and the header notes.  The other pages are pristine PDF files that clearly nave never been faxed.  To top it off the last page is where someone other than me forged my signature (it's clearly not my signature).  I'm not looking to make a big deal.  I just want to terminate my service, pay my April and May bills and move on with life.  I'm confident that when I speak to the right person we can get this resolved and I can have a more positive experience of Comcast "Business Class" service.  I'm looking for a resolution, not just for a place on the web to complain.  I will email the address mentioned and proceed with the cancelation.  Thanks to rog286713 for your help.

Thanks,

Dissatisfied Comcast Customer in Denver CO

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

treecare

Don't know if you may have seen this. It may or may not pertain to your case but i thought I would bring it to your attention so there are no other surprises in the future. It may also explain that "suspect" signature you mentioned.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Billing/Unauthorized-quot-Automatic-quot-Renewal-of-1-year-contract/td-...

New Visitor
smallbusiness

Today I called Comcast to inquire about cancelling services of one phone line and one fax line after one year ( one more year to go as per contract) at my small Business Reatil Store as business is not good.. I was told by Comcast Rep that there will be ETF of $900. If I transfer service to other location then no ETF..This is a huge ETF..I am a bit confuse with this big ETF...I have to look at the Agreement...Anyway, I read other people's experience with Comcast, so thought of sharing here about my recent experience...

New Visitor
rlr524

When you agree to the one year deal or whatever with Comcast, you agree over a recording that doesn't disclose the fee. Comcast never discloses it. Just don't pay it and file a formal complaint with the FCC and your state's public utilities commission when they attempt to collect. I have Comcast now because I can't get Direct TV due to the orientation of my building, but the moment I move Comcast is gone and I won't pay a cent for terminating the deal.
New Visitor
johnsonmiller

I just switched to Direct TV and AT&T for my internet/phone. Im paying 110 dollars for 140 channels this includes HBO, Cinemax, Stars, Encore and HD Channels combined with  phone and internet.  After the promotion it goes up to 150 dollars. Its so much better than paying 286.00 for comcast. I will find out how much the fees are tomorrow when i turn in my equipment. I will post it for u.

Regular Contributor
eugenedeschenea

You can terminate you service contract without paying fees.  Comcast continously changes the contract, making it null and void.  When cancelling, explain that to them and they will waive the fee.  Customer service knows this, but they don't disclose it unless you confront them with that info.  This cancellation fee scam just gets the people un willing to challenge them.  Easy gotcha money for comcast.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Maybe read this from the Tewrms of Service:

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg
Email Expert
CCCarole
New Visitor
kandy713

I need help !! I am being forced to move out of my house and moved back in with family, my family has comcast, and eventually I am looking for a house, but I need to cancel my services with Comcast, they told me it was a $800 early termination fee for home security, how do I get help to get this waived, I have had no issue up until this point, I would keep my services with comcast but right now thats not an option for me !!! What do I need to do ?!?! 

New Visitor
brosia78

I moved out of my old apartment after a month and a half (mutual lease termination). WHen I called Comcast to cancel service, was informed that  I was in a contract for 2 years and couldnt cancel without being charged a hefty fee of several hundred dollars. 

I asked Comcast where my contract forms were. I don't sign anything without reading the fine print. They couldnt answer so I simply stated that I had never signed anything and therefore was not in a contract and so would not pay.

I floated around for a bit and stayed with friends...what was I supposed to do, take my cable box around with me? Ridiculous. But I stood firm and never had to deal with that again. 

New Visitor
peachtreec

I've been on the phone constantly with Comcast for the past 3 days trying to get an issue resolved involving Comcast claiming they own my modem and wanting me to pay to "lease" it from them.  Luckily, I have my receipt but am still having an issue getting it resolved.  With all of the rude and dishonest things that I've been told in the past 72 hours, I'm at my wits end and want to cancel service.  I was told that I was under contract and would be charged a fee (she wouldn't/couldn't tell me how much).  I NEVER signed a contract.  Ever.  I am in complete shock.  Then I was hit with "it's a 2 year contract"!  There is no way in the world that I would agree to such.  When I asked them to provide me documentation on it, I was told that I needed to speak with a supervisor.  I was then placed on hold for over 15 minutes only to be hung up on.  This is after being hung up on the day before 2 times!  I have never dealt with a company like this!  I'm emailing my info to the above stated address to hopefully get this resolved.  

Email Expert
CCCarole

Send an email to the We Can Help Team.

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name
service address
phone number
account number
link to this thread
full details of the issues

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
daphneanava

Did you do this and not have to pay?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg
New Visitor
bgold74

Trying to figure the termination fee out as well after my unfortunate encounters with Comcast/Xfinity.

Basically I paid my bill on time every month and my bank acct was jeopardized and I had to switch account numbers. Anyway autopay deducted from the wrong account charge me a 25 return check fee I didn't see until my next bill and late fees. I then decided to bite the bullet and pay the amount as I could not blame this issue solely on comcast. After paying the outrageous late fees and adding a credit to my account which I took screen shots of both the credit in my comcast account and my bank statements I was then hit with yet another late fee the next month even though I had a $60 dollar credit on my account. My account was suddenly in the negative as if my credit just disappeared. 

I have contact comcast multiple times. One rep had the audacity to basically tell me I was brain dead and "It's better if you go into your bank so they can describe it to you". I have also went into a local store with my statements that show the excesses money deducted and with my corrections of my comcast acct showing a credit with no help.

I am enraged at comcast's pi ss-poor customer support and will be returning my equipment. I can't even believe a company  this big and still in business. 

Same issue as well everytime I inquire about a termination fee I can't get a definte dollar amount. 

Contributor

You can terminate you service contract without paying fees.  Comcast continously changes the contract, making it null and void.  When cancelling, explain that to them and they will waive the fee.  Customer service knows this, but they don't disclose it unless you confront them with that info.  This cancellation fee scam just gets the people un willing to challenge them.  Easy gotcha money for comcast.

New Visitor
btransam

[ Edited ]

Home security is different than cable and internet I think. With home security they usually are providing you with equipment and installation for free or at a steep discount in exchange for a promise from you that you will keep the service for x years. If you don't, you have to reimburse them for the equipment and installation. While they might be willing to walk away from termination fees (that are often shady to begin with), I would think they would be less likely to walk away from the Home Security fees. That represents actual money they spent, unlike cable customers, your account would have lost them money without those fees...

New Visitor
DisgruntledXfin

They told me $700!!!!

New Visitor
DisgruntledXfin

This is what I wrote on the Comcast Forum and have also read a number of other customer’s complaints about being automatically signed up for contracts and constant changing of contracts.  I don’t understand why I am being charged an astronomical amount when we are actually planning on keeping the Xfinity Home services.

Please read So we signed up for Xfinity Home for 2 years.  We mainly had issues with the camera loading.  6 months prior to having Xfinity Home we had Comcast's Internet, Voice, and Cable. 

It got more and more expensive and our Wifi rarely if ever worked.  We often complained to technicians regarding the ability to get wifi in our kitchen (where I spend the most of my time) and our bedroom.  We were always told that it is the configuration of our home or the walls.

It came to the point in which we decided to no longer use Xfinity except keep Xfinity Home. 

WE WERE CHARGED $700 FOR EARLY TERMINATION FEES. Even though we planned to keep Xfinity Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Why stay with Comcast at all?????  Major issues and I will not be recommending their services to anyone, including my mom who was planning to sign up this week