New Visitor
gec5741

Free digital adapter not free anymore?

I have a tv that I wanted to setup for my kids to use.  They do not need a dvr so I figured I'd pick up a digital adapter from my local comcast store.  They told me that they are not free anymore and they wanted to charge me 2 dollars a month.  Is this really true?  I had called comcast less then 2 months ago and they were going to send me one for free but charge me shipping.  I figured i'd just go pick one up but now they want to charge me a monthly fee for one!  I guess i'll call them to double check but figured I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance!

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Re: Free digital adapter not free anymore?

I have heard of this happening, but figured it was an anomaly.  There is supposed to be a change happening in Dec. (I think) that does away with the 'must carry' restriction, but nothing official about charging for the first two DTAs?  Might try contacting the following and see if they can shed any light on this??

you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

gec5741 wrote: ... They told me that they are not free anymore ...

https://digitalnow.comcast.com/About_Digital_Update.aspx:

What will it cost?

Limited Basic only customers are eligible to receive digital adapter service (and digital adapters) for three (3) outlets without additional charge. A digital adapter service charge of $0.50 will apply to each additional outlet for those customers.
All other customers are eligible to receive a digital set-top box and service included at no additional charge with their primary outlet, and the digital adapter service charge of $1.99 will apply to each additional digital adapter service outlet (such charges are not applicable for digital adapter service outlets existing on accounts prior to July 1, 2012). Certain markets may have alternative pricing.

Contributor

I called Comcast today (twice) and they said that "no one is grandfathered for this $1.99 charge as of Oct 2012 billing". Everyone who has other than the basic TV service is to pay the monthly amount for each digital adapter you are using on your account.

Regular Contributor
drbubba1995

[ Edited ]

I also called yesterday and was told the charge went into effect early this year and everyone was paying this fee. However, when comcast send the the first 2 boxes (over a year ago) they said they were required for the 2 tvs I had with just the cable plugged into the back. Comcast stated the 2 Digital boxes were free which to me means no monthly charge.

However, I noticed on my October bill that I was being charge $1.99 for each of these boxes. When I looked at earlier bills this fee was not listed. So this is something that just started on my bill!

I found the following on the comcast web site and the date is August, 2012.

How your bill will change with Digital Migration  

Updated 8/8/2012 5:08:14 PM by Comcast Expert

Introduction

We’ll work with you to ensure you have the equipment you need, at no or minimal cost.

If you have the Expanded Basic package, you’ll get one cable box and up to two digital adapters at no additional monthly service charge.

If you’re a Digital Starter subscriber, you should already have at least one cable box. You can get up to two digital adapters at no additional monthly service charge.

If you have the Limited Basic package and live in an area where it’s changing to all digital, you can order up to three digital adapters at no additional monthly service charge.

If the equipment listed above is all you need, it’s unlikely that you’ll see a change in your bill after the Comcast® Digital Migration. However, if you find that you need more digital adapters, they’re available for less than $2.00 a month (Note: Prices may vary, and this cost doesn’t include any applicable equipment taxes).

The quickest and easiest way to order your equipment is to order online. You may also contact us on the phone at 1-800-XFINITY, or visit us in person at a service center.

Contributor

Yes. Apparently the Comcast website info is not current.

I told the customer service person what it says on the web site. She told me that she has no access to that info and I will be charged $1.99 per month as of October 2012 (fee increases). I told her that I was not happy about the changes and feel that Comcast is reneging on the original agreement.

Also, I do not believe I received any notice of this (and other service increases) and that they are not forthcoming to their customers about these things.

I have digital starter with an HD DVR which they say is "primary". This is $8 per month PLUS the HD Tech fee of $9.95 per month. Now the adapter for my other set costs extra. Now my bill is higher and I have gotten no value incease. I'm just irked about the whole thing.

New Visitor
leenga

my fees in the Atlanta area also appeared on my october 2012 bill. 

here is what comcast is telling me

"Supposedly they were free because these boxes are used to compensate the missing local channels that you have during the project launch by Comcast, the Digital Migration. This project has already been completed.  Any new or existing Digital Starter and above customer adding new DTA outlets will be charged $1.99 per outlet. This is effective since July 1, 2012.

When I checked  with the cable team, digital migration has just been completed in your area. That is why the charge appeared early in October."

still makes no sense to me and i'll be returning them!

New Visitor
Jetrin

[ Edited ]

I just got the charges too.  I am so angry at Comcast.  They made it sound like we would be "grandfathered" in.  This is a joke because my tv is digital ready but I have to use Comcast's stupid box because it's encrypted.  We are paying for their own security.  Time to look at the dish.

New Visitor

Given an opportunity to pick your pocket for a dollar here or ten dollars there, comcast will always do that.  I've twice called to get an explanation of this new charge, and neither time have I been able to reach a human being. I loathe comcast with all my heart.

New Visitor
cybercrank

[ Edited ]

Free digital adapter not free anymore ????   Why are you even shocked ???

You are dealing with Comcast. They are so tight the 50 cent or the $1.99 charge is the norm.

Get used to it !!  New Comcast Marketing Slogan : Bend Over, We'll Drive !!

New Visitor
SolaG

Comcast is trying to nickel and dime us at every turn.

I do not see why we have to pay for the DTA boxes. I already pay $139.99 for my service, and now an exra $3.98 for the 2 DTA's I have???

Might betime to truly look elsewhere for service as Comcast does not appreciate it's customers. 

I have been with them over 9 years. Tired of their BS!!!

Regular Contributor

I have an HD box in LR w/big screen.  That's why I got HD.  I was given 2 sm. black boxes for each bedroom.  I have a computer.  No phone.  Double play..  My cable bill is double my car insurance on my 13 yr. old car.  (minimum coverage).  Comcast is a rip off..... but it's hard to change once your in.  You should google their new building in Phila.   

Regular Contributor

that's where the money goes. Into the new building and the CEO's cars.

Contributor

I too was told that DTAs customers were using prior to July would not be charged when the new fee went into effect in October. 

I don't think you can buy a DTA so it is like when ATT charged a rental fee for telephones years ago before the "Bell" break up. 

With Comcast's 2 price increases in 2012 for Digital starter and now this added $50 or so annual DTA fee , we have gotten an over the air antenna and will soon be telling Comcast Cable TV goodbye.  We can watch the major networks in HD for free, not $9.95.  You might want to check into it. Also, many TV channels allow you to watch on their websites, some even allow live streaming,                                    

Regular Contributor

Thanks for that reply.  The only thing is I live in a small apartment building.  Is this an inside antenna or must it be placed on the outside of the building?  I believe you can buy the box but comcast will still charge you for the "plug in" and I think it's $.50 cents per month??  Several months ago I purchased a 5" screen digital TV, for my kitchen,  at the local CVS Pharm. I live near Philly but the TV only gets 1 major station and about 6 minor stations (kids & Spanish) and if it's a cloudy day it does the digital ''break up'' or if you move it just a little you lose reception and you have to reprogram it.  Many stations don't have a strong digital broadcast. 

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

MissHarleyD wrote:

Thanks for that reply.  The only thing is I live in a small apartment building.  Is this an inside antenna or must it be placed on the outside of the building?  I believe you can buy the box but comcast will still charge you for the "plug in" and I think it's $.50 cents per month??  Several months ago I purchased a 5" screen digital TV, for my kitchen,  at the local CVS Pharm. I live near Philly but the TV only gets 1 major station and about 6 minor stations (kids & Spanish) and if it's a cloudy day it does the digital ''break up'' or if you move it just a little you lose reception and you have to reprogram it.  Many stations don't have a strong digital broadcast. 

You should see if you can borrow a quality indoor antenna, and try moving it around through a window to see if you can indeed receive local signals.  Also, try doing a Google search for TV broadcast antenna locations in your area (may try contacting several of the local station for help?)..

Contributor

My daughter lives in an apartment in a city (not Philly)  and is 2-5 miles from most local TV towers. Not sure if I'm allowed to name specific antennas.  Anyway, she is using a flat multi-directional indoor antenna.  We got it on Amazon for around $31.  They also sell them at Radioshack and Best Buy but they cost more there, of course.If you are in Philadelphia you may also be close to the towers.  We tested her antenna at our house first. We are 17 miles from the towers and received most of the channels.  It would be easier to return at BB or Radio Shack if it doesn't work. 

Hope this helps further.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, I'm in NJ probably about 10/15 miles south of Center City.  I'll look into your suggestions.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Try this link for looking up antennas for Over the Air

http://www.antennaweb.org/

Uses your address and shows distance to them from your location.

May help.

New Visitor
Bob6569

These DTAs are a throwback to the VCR era. I have 2 TVs less than a year old and I need an adapter and Comcast's super crappy remote to receive all the basic cable channels?????? 

Like everyone else here I was told early this year when I signed up with them that the 2 DTAs were totally free, no monthly charge. 

This month a see a charge on my bill for the DTAs. I call Comcast and after 30 minutes on hold I get a live person. I told him I was seriously thinking about getting a dish because of these extra charges. He took the DTA charges off the bill, but will they reappear next month. 

New Visitor
Bob6569

[ Edited ]

Oops, repost.

Regular Contributor

comcast is one of the biggest rip-offs ever.  yes they are starting to charge for those boxes.  i was originally told that if i had them before july 2012 i would be "grandfathered in"........wrong, got my Nov. bill and it said i would be charged 2.00 a month for the two i have been using since they and the government MADE us go digital. 

Regular Contributor

I was given two when the TV's went from analog to digital 2 years ago.  I have a big screen with a digital, HD receiver box in my living room and a small TV in my spare room (with the little digital box) and a TV in my bedroom (with a little digital box).  Both the spare room and my bedroom only get the few extra channels. 

I got my November bill and was told that after Jan. 1, 2013 I will be charged $2.00 per month for each of the little boxes.  When I first called I was told that if I had these boxes before July, 2012, I would have been "grandfathered" in.  Well, now, they say,  I'm not, I have to pay.  This weekend I am taking the one in my bedroom back.  Comcast is one of the biggest rip-offs ever.  They practically want you to pay every time an executive goes to the bathroom!!!!!  Have you seen the huge new Comcast building in Philadelphia?  OMG 

Since I'm on a fixed income it's become increasingly difficult to pay each increase but since this is my only way to watch TV I'm stuck.  All of the fios, dish, etc. switching is too much.  I've called and they give me the same JUNK with a foreign accent. 

The government wanted everyone to go out to buy new cable ready TV's, then MADE us (almost all of us) to get these boxes to go digital now they want us to pay for it all AGAIN. 

TV ain't free anymore and that sucks. 

Regular Contributor

i dropped a note, hand written letter, to comcast in care of CEO.  they told me to contact my local office, there was nothing ''they'' could do.  this was about another cost that they were charging.  comcast is a huge rip-off. 

Regular Contributor

I hate comcast.  I'm surprised they aren't charging every time you change a channel.  Unfortunately I'm homebound.  Switching to another carrier is more trouble so comblast has you by the ''you know whats''. 

I've called and written.  Someone in India or the Philippines is making the decisions on what I/WE pay. 

With unemployment being cut off,  comblast may be out looking for customers soon.  One could only hope.

Regular Contributor

Wow - just saw the $1.99 fee for each of two adapters that were supposed to be free.  This is the last straw for me.  Paid $5 to disconnect a service last month & now $3.98 for two adapters that we weren't previously paying for.  Next month it will be something else.

Disconnecting cable this month.  There has to be a better option out there.  Probably have to pay to disconnect cable & return the equip.

New Visitor
tiredofmonopoly

Not free. $1.99 per month per unit. Instead of posting to this comcast site we should be complaining to our nearly useless elected officials about this monopoly that they have granted to Comcast. Until there is real competition these pirates will charge for everything.

Contributor

If enough people complain to their state consumer services, then pressure would be put on Comcast.  Sit back and do nothing and Comcast will act with impunity.  For Florida residents, file a complaint with the Florida Consumer Services via:

https://csapp.800helpfla.com/CSPublicApp/Complaints/FileComplaint.aspx

If enough complaints are received, then just maybe Comcast will reverse at least this bad customer relations policy.

Contributor

More information:

Comcast's web page
https://digitalnow.comcast.com/About_Digital_Update.aspx
as of last week said (my highlighting):

If you’re a Digital Starter subscriber, you should already have at least one cable box. You can get up to two digital adapters at no additional monthly service charge.
If you have the Limited Basic package and live in an area where it’s changing to all digital, you can order up to three digital adapters at no additional monthly service charge.

Now it says:

All other customers are eligible to receive a digital set-top box and service included at no additional charge with their primary outlet, and the digital adapter service charge of $1.99 will apply to each additional digital adapter service outlet (such charges are not applicable for digital adapter service outlets existing on accounts prior to July 1, 2012).

Recognized Contributor

The DTAs that were installed before 07/01/12 are not supposed to be assessed the $1.99 monthly fee.

The DTA is a revenue source for Comcast.  Unfortunately, when DTAs were introduced during the implementation of Project Calvary (aka "World of More"), Comcast advertised unambiguously that the DTAs would be "Free".

I presume Limited Basic clients get free boxes because under Federal Law, Limited Basic is the only level of service subject to potential price regulation by a local franchising authority.  The law and FCC rules prohibit local franchise authorities from regulating prices for higher tiers of service.

Has anyone higher than Limited Basic gotten the DTA monthly fees removed permanently from their bills?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

explorer2008

Page 2 on this link http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Billing/FREE-digital-adapters-are-now-being-charged/td-p/1439157

Looks like someone got the charges removed. Whether it is permanent or not only time will tell.

Contributor

I guess a raw nerve was hit by me posting a petition link to sign for our right to voice our discontent with these charges. 

All my previous, but polite, posts with any mention of a petition were deleted.

Comcast apparently is not very tolerant of any dissent.  So be it.  I guess the bottom line is Comcast can charge their long time customers whatever they wish.

Contributor

New Visitor
gypse5

GIVETH THAN TAKETH AWAY = BAD BUSINESS POLICY

[ Edited ]

When the digital adapters were issued, Comcast advised at no fee for 1-2 units.  I have had to swallow the yearly increases, but now Comcast renegs on their "word", which I find to be a very poor business practice.

Our bill has now increased $ 7 p/mo. & as RB states, with "no added value". 

In summary, I work for a major corporation and if we tried tried this approach, we would experience some SERIOUS customer issues. Constant price increases is one thing, going back on an agreement is another.

"Sincerely",

Acct# ********************************

Contributor
Dougizagrip

Re: GIVETH THAN TAKETH AWAY = BAD BUSINESS POLICY

I just had the charges added to my February bill as well, after being assured that the two digital adapters would always be no charge.

This is no way to run a railroad.

Contributor

What happen to the 2 free digital adapters

Just got my March 12 bill and see the 2 free digital adapters are now 1.98 each and they incressed the Digital starter package 4.55 and the internet 3.00 per month.  Feels like I am getting screwed again.

Recognized Contributor

Re: What happen to the 2 free digital adapters

Excelon wrote:

Just got my March 12 bill and see the 2 free digital adapters are now 1.98 each and they incressed the Digital starter package 4.55 and the internet 3.00 per month.  Feels like I am getting screwed again.

Comcast imposed the new monthly fees on DTAs to create a dedicated revenue source that would finance loan repayments for its takeover of the remaining 49% of NBC Universal.  It certainly was clever.

From the end-user's perspective, it's painfully disappointing. The DTAs are extremely bare-bones. There is literally no means for Comcast subscribers to view most of the channels (other than some Limited Basic stations offered in unencrypted Clear QAM) unless they pay rent for some sort of box.

New Visitor
monacog

Yup, that's the new game from Comcast.... I just returned the 2 I had. They just started charging for them this month!

New Visitor
LadySaturn

[ Edited ]

Have three tvs and internet. Two need digital adapters. Went online to order, got an error message and to call a number. Called the number got the run around... Every dang time I talk to someone in customer service I get someone who doesn't speak English, so I don't even feel like going that route for the hundredth time. And after reading that Comcast now charges willy nilly for their digital adapters, think I'll switch over to U Verse.  By the way my bill is 110.00 a month for just the basic and starter up. Ridiculous. Especially when I can get a better deal at U Verse for half that.  Oh, by the way didn't know d*** was a bad word, Comcast. Considering in the Bible it is used.  But then again, I'm sure you folks wouldn't know anything about the Bible. Lord knows, if you touched one you'd probably burn up. 

New Visitor
mdh157

Comcast's bldg in Phila was put up with the help of state politicians......so we got screwed there as well.  I will be looking into dish or direct TV, I am sick of this.  If you have paid for the service there should be no need for any ad'l cost, this is just an excuse to ay the cable is a bit cheaper.  Imagine how much $$ they are making from these boxes....

HINT to Comcast:  start an airline, you are already adept at adding fees to the basic costs of your service.  

New Visitor
mdh157

LadySaturn, can you explain why your third tv doesn't need a digital adapter?  

New Visitor
LadySaturn

[ Edited ]

Because that one already has a box to it when I first order service about two years ago. It's the other two that don't. It was basically digital upstart for one tv and then basic for the other two because the other two are in bedrooms.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

yeah I was told they were free too when they forced them on me with my qam tuned tv basic limited now theyre charging me and said before july rcv is no longer valid.

Thanks I didnt want them dont need them now Im screwed for 4 bucks a month till I find a way to drive to shooters ville in the city (no joke) to return them if I want a rcpt of proof.

I have ms, this is a hassle and they will charge me if I want it picked up! thanks comcast.

Since we recently took a special and upgraded to hd ext cable only to find its not worth paying extra for whats on tv today.  I will prob' not waste this trip to town and cancel my cable tv and bring the hd box along.

I will do with antenna and i net.  Why waste a trip eh !

Contributor
DDMcD

[ Edited ]

For me the simple  impact of being lied to about getting two "free" adapters is very simple -- I am unhooking two of my older TVs from cable. That means we will be using them for other uses, NOT for cable TV.

New Visitor
tchitea

Comcast guilty of bait and switch marketing? Maybe a class-action law suit. I would not have taken two except they were free!!!

New Visitor
tchitea

I have digital starter and have been charged the at two months.

Contributor
DDMcD

Let's face it -- the reversal by Comcast on the two "free" adapters is just the tip of the iceberg. Comcast can do this because it is a monopoly and local regulatory agencies are powerless. I was able to get the charges removed for at least 12 months but only after I got the local government's cable "regulatory" agency involved; I wrote about my experiences in "Comcast Must Die" on my blog here: http://www.ddmcd.com/die.html

Another thing to consider: I posted my notice here about the adapter charges on ‎03-26-2013 and just today -- 4/15/2013 --I received an email from Comcast saying "...Thanks for sharing your concern with us. The Forums team has been made aware of your issue."  Are there any other consumer businesses where such a delay between a public complaint and an acknowledgement would be so long in coming?

Contributor
rudyreg

The charge for these boxes are unfair, especially since we were told there were free.  Some may feel this is a small charge for these boxes.  We must continue to stand together and exercise our power with our dollars.  I receive an e-mail stating that the battery in my modem needed to be replaced. Cost $35.00, replacement of these batteries were free now they are charging for replacement.  It hasn't been that long since they replaced my modem, guess what there isn't a battery in the modem.

Comcast is loosing customers which mean they are loosing revenue which mean their net income is declining, and we all know it's all about the dollar.  Whatever happen to the customer is always right, satisfaction grantee or customer satisfaction comes first?  As consumers we can make a difference by voicing our views not with just our voices but most importantly with our dollars.  I sure comcast is a diversified company, lets look into what other holding they may have and boycott those also. If you feel you are trapped with their cable look into what other holding they have post them as we find them and withhold our dollars.  There is always a way to skin a cat as my grandmother would say.  Lets protest and protest hard.  We the consumer can make or break a company.  We have the power to break them from the inside out. If anyone know how to start a class action lawsuit, please post others have done it and won we can too.  If we don't who will?  

Let's take a stand and show comcast who really holds the power and make them keep their word to us, we are not asking for anything free just what was promise to us, a clear and written contract to their customers that these boxes were free.  We did not asked they offered and to rescind is a breach of contract.

Contributor
rudyreg

Other holding companies owned by comcast.  Contact the advertisers and ask them to stop advertising with comcast and it affiliates or you will stop using their product. Keep doing this until comcast keep it's promise to it's customers!

COMCAST CORPORATION One Comcast Center 
1701 JFK Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103 Voice 1-800-Comcast www.comcast.comComcast Corporation is the majority owner of NBCUniversal with a 51% interest. GE holds a 49% interest.NBCUniversal (51%) Television NBC Television Network NBC Entertainment NBC News NBC Sport Group Universal Television (UTV) Universal Cable Productions NBC Universal Domestic Television Distribution NBCUniversal International Television Distribution NBC Local Media Division NBC New York (WNBC) NBC Los Angeles (KNBC) NBC Chicago (WMAQ) NBC Philadelphia (WCAU) NBC Bay Area (KNTV) NBC Dallas/Fort Worth (KXAS) NBC Washington (WRC) NBC Miami (WTVJ) NBC San Diego (KNSD) NBC Connecticut (WVIT) NBC Everywhere LX TV Skycastle Entertainment Telemundo KVEA (Los Angeles) WNJU (New York) WSCV (Miami) KTMD (Houston) WSNS (Chicago) KXTX (Dallas/Fort Worth) KVDA (San Antonio) KSTS (San Francisco/San Jose) KTAZ (Phoenix) KNSO (Fresno) KDEN (Denver) KBLR (Las Vegas) WNEU (Boston/Merrimack) KHRR (Tucson) WKAQ (Puerto Rico) KWHY (Los Angeles) (Independent) Television Channels Bravo Chiller CNBC CNBC World Comcast Charter Sports Southeast Comcast Sports Group Comcast SportsNet Bay Area Comcast SportsNet California Comcast SportsNet Chicago Comcast SportsNet Houston Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic Comcast SportsNet New England Comcast SportsNet Northwest Comcast SportsNet Philadelhpia SNY The Mtn.-Mountain West Sports Network CSS Comcast Sports Southwest New England Cable News (Manages) NBC Sports Network The Comcast Network E! Entertainment Television G4 Golf Channel MSNBC mun2 Oxygen Media Cloo Sprout The Style Network Syfy Universal HD USA Network The Weather Channel Companies Syfy Universal (Universal Networks International) Diva Universal (Universal Networks International) Studio Universal (Universal Networks International) Universal Channel (Universal Networks International) 13th Street Universal (Universal Networks International) Movies 24 (Universal Networks International) Hallmark Channel (non-U.S.) (Universal Networks International) KidsCo (Interest) (Universal Networks International) Film Universal Pictures Focus Features Universal Studios Home Entertainment Parks and Resorts Universal Parks and Resorts Digital Media DailyCandy Fandango Hulu (32%) iVillage NBC.com CNBC Digital Plaxo Communications XFINITY TV XFINITY Internet XFINITY Voice Sports Management Comcast-Spectator Philadelphia Flyers Wells Fargo Center Global Spectrum (Public Assembly Management) Ovations Food Services Front Row Marketing Services Paciolan New Era Tickets (ComcastTIX) Flyers Skate Zone Other Comcast Ventures 4INFO About.com Abor Networks Arroyo Accolade BelAir Networks BENU Bigpoint BlackArrow BlogHer Bodymedia BNI Video BroadLogic Network Technologies BroadSoft >Bubble Motion CarWoo! Catalog Spree CedarPoint Communications Citysearch Closely ConteXtream CTI Towers Demde Docusign DreamIT MEAP (Minority Entrepreneur Accelerator Program) EdgeConneX Entreproid/dd> FanDuel Flipboard Fwix GreyStripe Half.com Healthline Networks Iddiction iControl Networks Immedia Semiconductor Integrate Intellon InviteMedia JiWire Kiwi Crate KPCB LinkShare MegaPath Networks MovazNetworks Nebula netForensics NGT New Global Telecom Nuera ONDS Ortiva Wireless Perfect Market Plumdistrict Radius Ramp RF Magic RGB Networks SB Nation SkyStream Networks SnagFilms Stratalight The Rubicon Project TiVO TidalTV Trion Worlds Tripwire Ubermedia VeriSign Verivue Vertialnet Videology Visible World Vitrue Vivox Vox Media Whosay XOS Digital Comcast Spotlight Comcast Business Class Comcast Interactive Media last updated 2/14/2013

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

rudyreg said:  I receive an e-mail stating that the battery in my modem needed to be replaced. Cost$35.00, replacement of these batteries were free now they are charging for replacement. It hasn't been that long since they replaced my modem, guess what there isn't a battery in the modem.

WHAT??? OH THIS IS RIDICULOUS!  I got one of these modems but no longer have their phone service and was told no need to change that it would be fine - and it has been but they can stick this $35 charge for a battery that belongs in their equipment in order to provide their service where the sun don't shine I would complain to the higher of high on that one rudyreg!  When it dies in mine it can stay dead or if they try to force the issue maybe i'll get off my rear and buy my own modem and take their modem fee off the bill.  Taking their stupid adapter back too - had it since it first was announced we had to get them, was suppose to be free for 2 got 2 they pestered me to bring one back 'bout a year ago i guess because i hadn't hooked it up yet and because of that they would not let me keep it (was waiting on getting another tv in that room) so took it back.  May not seem like much but it adds up over the year and my change jar would just as well have that money as them and besides that its the principle of the matter.  If they still forced the issue of a $35 charge for their battery for their equipment they should be maintaining you ought to cancel the phone service with them (highly expensive for no choice in optional add ons like the cid, cw, etc anyway) and go with a different provider or end the landline and just use a cell.  Took me a long time to do that, but once I did I never looked back........only inconvenience is if I want to fax something I have to go to the local fed-x kinkos but other than that i don't miss it at all.