New Visitor
Richard9998765
Accepted Solution

HOW TO CANCEL SERVICE????

I should have known out of all the service providers out there, Comcast would be yet another that makes finding the right buttons to click to get to the service cancellation area - next to impossible.  I am really not in the mood to call these people, again... does anyone out there know how to get on the website and cancel your internet service???

Thanks

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: HOW TO CANCEL SERVICE????

You cannot cancel service online.

The BEST way to cancel, if you use Comcast equipment (in your case a modem) is to disconnect the equipment and take it to the local office if there is one in your area. Turn it in, tell them to cancel the internet, and get a returned equipment receipt. While the receipt probably won't say "service cancelled" you can have someone note on it that it was cancelled effective such and such date. That receipt will be important for another reason.

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. Keep it until the middle of the next century. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.

If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers.  Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

Print out the delivery confirmation (if your computer crashes and you lose the info the print out will be your proof of return) This should also be kept in a safe place where you can get to it if needed.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
res_rev

Make sure you turn the equipment in within 2 weeks of cancelling your service or you will be charged an "equipment rental" fee.

New Visitor
qingchang9831

Hi, what if all the equipments are owned by myslef? both cable modem and wireless router. How about the leading time for me to raise the cancellation request?   Thanks very much!

New Visitor
Dissatisfied13

I have all my own equipment. I paid to have Comcast installed at my house, and I now pay a monthly bill for high-speed internet. I have paid all my bills in advance and have managed my responsiblities as the customer very well. It should be understood that part of a vendor's responsibility, in terms of managing customer relationships, is to allow customer to effortlessly terminate service if and when they are no longer pleased with or no longer require the vendor's service. I don't understand why it is SO DARN DIFFICULT to cancel service with Comcast. With the market the way it is nowadays, I think it's a horrible idea and it's very shortsided. You might get a few more dollars in the short-run, but you keep customers from coming back ever again, and by word of mouth you lose their family, their friends, and those friends' friends. Please assist me promptly with cancelling my comcast service, so I will have good  things to tell my family and friends about your company. Thank you.

Email Expert
CCCarole

The Help Forums are monitored primarily by fellow customers like yourself.  We do not have access to your Account and cannot help you with this.

Have you called 1-800 comcast to cancel your service?  OR, you can go to the closest Comcast office and do it there. 

From the Help link:

Cancellations must be processed through a Comcast representative and cannot be initiated online. Please contact a Comcast representative at  1-800-XFINITY  ( 1-800-934-6489 ) to cancel your service.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
cardsnb

Be careful with the cancellation. Comcast has this hidden provision, which is not even attached to your contract doc - and it says that your contract is auto renewed without any notification.  After it is renewed - to cancel - you have to pay 75% of all payments between cancellation and end of contract.  

New Visitor
M_Esplin

Except there is wait time of OVER 15 minutes, and then they hang up on you... twice

New Visitor
Dberry8953

I turned my equipment in.  Local Comcast store told me they could/would not cancel service, that I still have to call.  1 hour + waiting-still no answer.  Ridiculous.

New Visitor
emilielemaire

me too, I hate their user interface that is made to prevent users from cancelling account. 

if I search by keywords - "cancel service" - they don't even give me the option to cancel service but only to move my service to my new location. I hate Comcast so much, and I'm so impatient to see the next internet service that will break their monopoly.

New Visitor
emilielemaire

Yes, they force users to use phone call so there are no records of the cancellation, and they can continue to charge despite the cancellation. They also refuse to send a confirmation by email, despite the law.

They did that with me when i cancelled a new service they added to my account without my agreement. I had to cancel three times on the phone + 2 times online + to meet a representative in person about the exact same service to cancel (that I never signed up for) - each time they claimed that the cancellation was not in their records so they continued to charge me.

I hate them so much - for me it's a the black sheep in California.

We should fight to ruine their monopoly and reopen the market to competitors who are willing to respect their users.

New Visitor
StrangLopez

Today I also called to cancel my service after getting the run around re: the promotional gift card and never receiving it.  Have called four times now...  office is closed.  Says to call back between 7am and 7pm?  Really... its noon in CA.  RIDICULOUS!  I am in total agreement with emilielemaire...  hate them sooooo much!

New Visitor
MisterRon

I suggest that dissatisfied customers, like myself, file a complaint with the public utility regulatory authority in your state, such as the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority, www.ct.gov/pura. In Connecticut there is also an Office of Consumer Counsel that represents consumers and helps to protect them from unfair charges, practices, etc. Utilities rely on customers not knowing their rights and not knowing where to address them.
Official Employee
ComcastTeds

New Visitor
dms1220

I don't know where yall live but I'm in Central VA, and I just now called & cancelled my Comast service because I am moving. It took about 15 mins and was NOT HARD at all. All I have left to do is turn in the equip and I will end up with a refund cuz I pay my bills too early, but I did not have any trouble at all.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

dms1220 wrote:

I don't know where yall live but I'm in Central VA, and I just now called & cancelled my Comast service because I am moving. It took about 15 mins and was NOT HARD at all. All I have left to do is turn in the equip and I will end up with a refund cuz I pay my bills too early, but I did not have any trouble at all.

Good luck getting that refund. Probly wont happen.