New Visitor
jurena
Accepted Solution

How do I downgrade service?

Just looking to see how I can change my service?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: How do I downgrade service?

Calling in is the most sure way to do this. Either the 800-COMCAST or your local office. You can find numbers for your local offices by going to the SHOP button on the top of this page and selecting Retail Locations. Unless you already have the local office number. I use them for most of my questions.

Any further questions post back and ask

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

commanguy wrote:

Calling in is the most sure way to do this. Either the 800-COMCAST or your local office. You can find numbers for your local offices by going to the SHOP button on the top of this page and selecting Retail Locations. Unless you already have the local office number. I use them for most of my questions.

Sorry, but commonguy has provided some incorrect information.  In order to find your local service center and their phone number, go to Customers, and Seclect "Service Center Locations" from the dropdown, enter your address and click on Find. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
jurena

Thank you, I will try that.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

New Visitor
Mawsheldon

How is this a fix when you can't get through to anyone.  I've been on hold for over 30 minutes!

Email Expert
CCCarole

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

commanguy wrote:

Sorry, but commonguy has provided some incorrect information.  In order to find your local service center and their phone number, go to Customers, and Select "Service Center Locations" from the dropdown, enter your address and click on Find. 

It should also be noted that the phone numbers listed using the Service Center Locations link, does not always provide a local phone number for the Comcast office. This differs by area.  You may see an 888 or 800 hundred,etc. not a local office number.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
karen2835

where do I go on the website to down grade? I shouldn't have to listen to a song and dance when I want to downgrade.....why can't the CSR just do what the customers want?

Email Expert
CCCarole

karen2835 wrote:

where do I go on the website to down grade? I shouldn't have to listen to a song and dance when I want to downgrade.....why can't the CSR just do what the customers want?

You need to call 1-800 comcast.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
bertbo

So, Why isn't it on the web site???  They sure have a way to get more money out of you!!!

Nobody there now when I have time to call.  Now I have to try to remember to squeeze it into my very busy schedule tomorrow.  What happened to the 24hr service thing??

Bad form I say.

ATC USN - RET

PS:  Thanx for answering the Q. & letting me vent some.  Thanx for your service 1 vet to another.

New Visitor
mklafferty

I'm looking to do the same myself: downgrade services to maintain a goodstanding account with Comcast. I'd hate to have to go elsewhere, because I'm good with the service, it's just the prices are becoming unaffordable on my budget. I know where the Comcast dealer is where I live...it's just a matter of finding a day were I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off getting other "priorities" done. I say if you want to avoid doing this adjustment to your account in person, you can usually (after signing in and finding what services you DO have) just go to products, find the one that is less expensive (i.e. - economy internet $26.95, basic cable $17.95 a month, etc) or whatever service you're looking for, and follow the steps for purchasing product. I'd say that your best bet though is to talk with someone, even if it ends up being on the phone.

Not sure if that helped...but I hope so. :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
jhaugh

I completely agree. 

Its amazing that an internet provider cant provide a link on their site to downgrade. How devious can you be........"they'll give up eventually, and everyone knows our 800 number will keep them waiting for hours.....so hey we get to keep charging them." Comcast is fast becoming the Builders Square of internet providers, and we all know what happened to them.

New Visitor
Jakebb

I've been waiting on the phone for half and hour on hold. Then I was hung up on! Not very good customer service...

I also would like to change my service, but don't even know where on-line I can even find what I have NOW!

This reminds me of the old telephone monolpoly where they've got you by the short hairs and it's: My way of the highway...  :-(

New Visitor
EvieLM

I have tried for one month to get a new modemn sent out to downgrade my service and they wont do it!!!!!!! i just got hung up on after sitting on the phone for a LONG TIME... very frustrated!!!!

Email Expert
CCCarole

New Visitor
yatnihs

USE LIVE CHAT: at the very bottom of any comcast page there is a 'contact us' link... follow it and select the 'live chat' option. i clicked through as an account/billing question, then told the service rep what i wanted to change/remove from my service. They asked for my account number and made the changes on the spot & provided a confirmation number. It took maybe 15 minutes total ... simple.

New Visitor
tathea

Unfortunately you cannot downgrade your service online I am finding.  You have to go through a representative so they can talk you into not downgrading, getting a different package, asking you what's wrong, why you are downgrading, is there anything they can do for you, etc, etc etc............Make things cheaper that would help immensely at least for me :smileyhappy: 

New Visitor

Why can't I downgrade using the internet??  The suggestion to the question is very inconvenient when I can access my account online.  Want to give me another reason for going with another provider?

Visitor

THANK YOU...I'LL TRY IT.

Visitor

yatnihs!!!!                    Thanks for advice! I just finished downgrading on live chat.

New Visitor
aliceeinsig2010

After Reading all these comments all I can say is that I totally agree with the previous and following complaints. Not only do I have to wait ages to talk to some one I end up getting transfered to the wrong agent and have to wait more!! Also information tends to get mixed up when I tried to start my service. I hear so many differnet things it is rediculous! The people I talk to cant even get my appointment for deliver straight! I have always dreded calling comcast because of the hassle and poor customer service. To not have self help options on the internet is just dumb, unorganized, and highway robbery! They make them selves do unavilable so that we are forced to stay with our high prices! I am going to look in to another provider. After reading all the comments it just proves im not alone in this one and Comcast is not worth my time!

New Visitor
aliceeinsig2010

They told me they were not autherized to downgrade my service with the online chat. They just gave me the number to comcast customer service!

New Visitor

New Visitor
don2347

I used chat to ask a billing a question.  I was able to downgrade to economy package in about 15-20 minutes.  Comcast rep was pretty helpful.  Sure is better than calling in and getting nowhere.

New Visitor
Fuzums

"Comcast is not worth my time!"

I can't count how many times i've said that...

Trying to downgrade my service - as my comcast bill (just for internet) has climbed up to $77/mo somehow. Tried every link, nothing - not even a simple 'we don't allow you to stop giving us money.' It seems canceling or downgrading your account is comcast-taboo. This thread is the only place that says anything about it, and it's filled with people who are confused why the 'manage my account' page contains nothing about managing their account...

Whatever, filtered through to their downgrade customer service line... which was closed... (though, it actually gets points for stopping the stupid voice-recognition-only mode)

Whatever, I'll do DSL instead, have a router sitting around doing nothing. Called their discontiuation line... which was closed...

*Sigh* Whatever... Just for kicks, I tried their "add a service" hotline too... which instantly had a perky chick on the other end hyped-up on caffine, asking me if I was interested in adding some movie channel. I told her that I don't own a TV and just wanted my service downgraded, so she transferred me to the downgrade hotline... which was still closed...

Whatever comcast, you have successfully winded my lack-luster attempt to save money this month by simply not giving me the option to control my account... you win, take the 70 bucks comcast, because you're just not worth the time :3

New Visitor
ntowl

Glad I'm not the only one who had their internet only price hiked to over $70. I've looked everywhere and I can't find an explanation. I was on here looking to downgrade too but as everyone said there doesn't appear to be an easy way.

This afternoon I have to go by their office on my way somewhere else. I'm just going to go in and downgrade in person. Pain in the you know what but I need to reduce expenses.

Are there any comcast reps reading this stuff? You've got a big customer service issue here that you need to take care of. Customers do have choices and will go somewhere else...even if you make it near impossible.

Visitor
brainiacs

Call Comcast and tell them you'd like to downgrade your service (make sure you tell them if you have internet services as well so they don't disconnect this) and they will downgrade the channels from their office-no appointment necessary. But be warned that the day you call is the day the downgrade begins, even if you give them a specific day that you'd like the downgrade begun, I did this, telling them that I wanted it on that Saturday (I called on the Monday before) and the next thing I know, hours later I've been downgraded!

New Visitor
frankwc1

Wow, can't believe the hassle involved with tring to down-size services. Really - can't do it on the web site, they want to get you in person to try and talk you out of it, only problem is they leave you on hold for so long that you get totally tick off and cancel everything. I not a expert, but I don't see how this is helping with keeping customers.   Good luck everyone, guess you could watch TV while your on hold.....lol.

Visitor
Bruno719

Ok I just tried to downgrade my service...I think cable is a racket!  I can not believe what I pay for cable and internet and then you try to reduce it and they tell you all you can do is change your cable box.  There is NO need to charge what they charge to watch TV.  It used to be FREE.  Now if you dont have a cable or satellite service you can't watch TV.  It's almost as much as my car payment.  GROSS.

New Visitor
Beltzer1

The reason it hikes up is right up front when you're getting it.  Check the pricing and they alll say things like *For the first 6 months*.  That means you only get that price.... for the first 6 months as stated. That's why it hikes up because you just past the 6 months and are now on the "normal" priceing. 

I had internet only (Blast! with that boost stuff), knew it'd jump price after 6 months and now I'm looking to downgrade. It was nice while it lasted.  Someone said the Chat service works. I'll try that seeing as it's saturday.

New Visitor
cat42

Well, I just managed to successfully downgrade my service over webchat, going in as an unspecified billing issue. It took longer than I expected, but mostly that was because there was confusion over plans and pricing, but ultimately, I got what I want. I think. As far as I can tell, it was implemented immediately, without (or with brief) service intteruption.

Visitor
Bruno719

They told me I have to go to the local office to downgrade service and see what plans are available in my area - so apparently the people that work in customer service have no idea what goes on with the company they work for.  Also why does it matter where I live?  Are rates dependent on your geographical location?  Ugh just annoying.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Bruno

Yes rates are different for each market area of Comcast, depending on your geographic location.

Not the easiest for Customer Service reps to work with for answering detailed questions from the National hotline. If you have a number for your local office you can get a better answer for actual plans and pricing for your specific area.

New Visitor
arcsdaddy

[ Edited ]

Never mind

New Visitor
ewymore

Unbelievably inconvenient and ridiculous.  You can add services via internet, why not the ability to change or downgrade services?  It certainly isn't security or technilogical capability.  Both DirectTV and DISH allow changes online, it literally takes 30 seconds.  As someone who has spent FOUR HOURS on the phone with Comcast support in one day, I am having serious reservations about picking up the phone for an extra $10/month.

New Visitor
Burette

I would like to save some money.  Just basic would serve my needs

New Visitor
bens1234

No you are wrong. You cannot remove a service from live chat. I just tried twice.

Contributor

I also tried live chat today to downgrade since my bill is now over $200 for triple play.  The rep said we can only add or upgrade online (even though comcast doesn't state that in the offer).  As far as a local phone # for CT service centers, comcast lists the street address but gives only the 1-800-COMCAST # for each.  I am retired so I'll just put my phone on speaker and they can take all day to talk to me if they want.  Unfortunately the only provider for non-dish where I live is comcast--no Verizon or AT&T or anyone else.  I do need internet and the current offer for existing customers for Blast Plus & Digital Economy is cheaper than the standalone high speed internet, but I'm to the point of dropping their digital cable TV altogether if they won't work with me.  I'm going to shift to getting TV over the net so I don't need Xfinity TV at all.  They are not market-savvy, because without their games of the constant price hikes and the difficulty of getting straight answers about what products they offer, I would never have looked up alternatives and would not have realized how much better choices online content offers for soooo much less money.  

New Visitor
Madduxfan00

We tried to downgrade yesterday and were told that the the representative helping us wasn't authorized to take care of us and that if we wanted to cancel service alltogether (which is an option for us given how dissatisfied we are) we would have to wait until Monday. At a minimum, I'd like to be able to see what our other options are - in particular for internet only, and it's crazy that you can't see it clearly and simply laid out on-line.

Contributor

I would also like an answer to MadisonGal's question, as I'm in the *exact* same situation she's in.

If I try to downgrade my services online, the live chat representative says I'm not allowed to downgrade my services online.  I'm then referred to the customer service line, who says that I can't select that feature over the phone because it's an online-only offer. Basically, I get the runaround and am told "No" no matter where I turn. 

In other words, a product advertised to me is not being made available to me because they don't want me to downgrade.  The Blast Plus package offers exactly what I'm looking for, and I fail to understand why I'm not allowed to downgrade.  I watch very little television and need higher internet speeds than I'm currently getting, but (despite being advertised on the website) they're not allowing me to choose a package that fits my budget and meets my needs.

I'm currently paying over $100 for Digital Starter (which I have no use for) and 6 mbps speeds (too slow).  The Blast Plus package gives me Digital Economy (which is perfectly suitable for my needs) and 30 mbps speeds (much better) for $80. 

And no matter where I turn, I get the same answer (No), but different reasons why.

New Visitor
cedar2361

Funny to read that I should do this by phone, since I am on hold, and they're telling me to go online.

New Visitor
New Visitor
FSR

Suggestion: Buy a Roku device ($50) or Apple TV..... get Internet service only (even if ala carte through comacst, maybe $60) then antenna on the roof.  The antenna will likely bring you in 10 or 20 crystal clear (HD) stations.  Roku/Apple (or a Smart tV if you have it) will give you access to tons of streaming media.  Much of it free.  Even if you add paid services such as Amazon Prime or Netflix, or Hulu these are all less than $10 a month.  Now you have TV (at least as good as cable) and internet for less than 1/2 the price.  If you feel you need VOIP telephone service, there are a number of them avilable for under $10.  Yes, it is nice to have one bill/provider.... but not at over DOUBLE the price.  Comcast sees themselves as a monoploy and has yet to feel they must have competitive pricing.  Figuring people are too busy or to lazy to find an option such as this.  Eventually "streaming" may force them to compete..... kicking and screaming.  Their prices are simply unreasonable by any sane yardstick.  Most folks are nwo spending close to $200 for Voip, TV, and Internet... which Comcast "bundles" together and promotes as a bargain. 

New Visitor

FYI.....Comast/NBC are BIG Obama/Democrat supporters. They are quick to take your money but just refuse to allow you to downgrade. They over charge and could care less about YOUR desires. I actually had a rep in a service center tell me that he would pay any bill that came in regardless of what the charges were. (They were charging me for a service I didn't have) but this obtuse person said that if it were his bill, he'd pay it. Needless to say, the words that poured out of my mouth were not agreeable with him.

I was on hold now for 17 min. and I'm currently talking with a rep named Kendra (spelling?) Of course she wants to know what I like to watch, how much "surfing" I do and if I have a home phone with any other provider. I told them that I just got laid off and I'm reducing bills. Put on hold.....they're still looking at other options for me so on hold again. I'm doing this live so you all will be informed. So they lowered my bill to $93 for basic cable and 3 meg internet. She couldn't tell me what the actual bill would be with taxes because she was in a diff. state? OMG.........I hate this company.

New Visitor
arysta

I'm seriously considering switching to FIOS because I can't downgrade with online chat.  I feel sick inside at the thought of having to call any customer service these days.  Between the obvious scripts they constantly read, the pitiful but persistent attempts at upselling, and the bad grammar (from both Americans and folks overseas), I literally can't stomach it.

I've been passively considering FIOS for a long time, but this has really gotten me motivated to change.

Contributor

The best way to downgrade is to call the 1-800-COM-CAST # and select cancel service.  You will be routed to a Retention Specialist--these are the CR's who can work with you to lower costs.  The person I spoke with asked which shows I wanted to watch and was very helpful in putting a package together that I could live with.  You just have to know that the regular CR's are not the people to talk to in order to downgrade.  I found that out by reading these forums.

Visitor
Bruno719

Hmm FIOS...I have to look into that.  In Sept I went to my local cable office and asked them to reduce my service.  BUT she didn't tell me about the channels I would loose - like ESPN, FX, TNT, FAM, HGTV, and so many more...so now I have fewer channels and still pay a ridiculous amount for tv...and I really dont care if I get the cartoon network or disney channel....So a couple of weeks ago I took advantage of NETFLIX free 30 day trial and I am thinking of trying HULA PLUS for their free week trial.  Then I may just keep the most basic of channels and subscribe to NETFLIX and/or HULA PLUS instead.  I have also been trying to get myself in the habit of watching my shows on the network's websites.  It's like ON DEMAND or a DVR.  I went thru an old check register of mine - and found logs for old cable bills - when you got channel 1-99 for a reasonable rate.  Comcast is a monoply and it is a disgrace.  I miss the antenna on the roof that was FREE! 

Contributor

You can still use a roof antenna and get free over-the-air tv, and in HD with better picture quality than cable.  Just google OTA reception, or TV signal locator to get more info.  Sometimes an indoor antenna is all  that's needed.  Antennas are very inexpensive.