Visitor
simonjl

How to File a Complaint Against Comcast

Have you experienced a customer service nightmare with Comcast?  See this link to help hold Comcast accountable:  http://www.ehow.com/how_8168386_file-compliant-against-comcast.html

Contributor
DeeJayZee

Re: How to File a Complaint Against Comcast

Two things to be said for this.

1. The FCC is always backlogged.  They will acknowledge your complaint and move on.  Still, you're on the record.

2. Regulation of cable is mainly at the local level, by city or county.  Don't expect much help here.  These people are more concerned about the 3% fee they collect from cable operators than they are your well-being (with notable exceptions, probably well known to subscribers in their jurisdictions).

Cable is most situations is a monopoly or at best, a duopoly.  Perhaps you can get comparable wireless service, but not high-speed and with as high or higher costs for lessor service.

In short, lie back and enjoy it.  Unless you can persuade your local jurisdiction to invest in its own cable system.  Muni systems provide equal or better service at equal or lower prices, and are more accountable to citizen-subscribers.  Problem is, most cities are struggling now in the face of tax cuts and reduced federal support.  It's unlikely they can get into the ballpark without an exceptional effort and will be fought by the commercial cable operators like Comcast forever, a battle to the death you would think.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Customers that have formal complaints should contact their local franchising authority. A franchising authority is the local municipal, county or other government organization that regulates certain aspects of the cable television industry at the state or local level. The name of the franchising authority may be on the front or back of your cable bill. If this information is not on your bill, contact Comcast or your local town or city hall.

Complaints handled by your franchising authority:

-Rates for basic service and equipment, installation and service charges related to basic service and "enhanced basic". (This refers to the lowest levels of cable service.)
-Customer service problems, including billing disputes, office hours, telephone availability of personnel, installations, outages and service calls.
-Franchise fees, which are determined and retained by local governments.
-Signal quality, including interference and reception difficulties.
-Use of public, educational, and governmental (PEG) channels.

The FCC only handles complaints about:

-Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) complaints.
-Signal leakage from cable systems.
-Cable home wiring questions.
-Commercial limits for children's' programming.
-Indecency and obscenity.

New Visitor
AnaC

Thanks i-am - good info. I had to laugh though with this bit "If this information is not on your bill, contact Comcast or your local town or city hall."  Contact Comcast? They seem to do everything they can to avoid being in contact with their customers.  Guess I can post to a forum and hope that an actual "official" employee might respond.

New Visitor
jcaroti

why is it that i pay the same price for a premiun sport oackage and do not get the same service as everyone else,if the package is available all around me,i called comcast and thier answer is not enough people in my area have the package so they will not give me the channel i want even do it is available .but also comcast do not tell the customer the channel exist,i m talking about bein sport  

New Visitor
DraidAlbert

I have been a customer of Comcast for years. My fiance has ALWAYS called and made changes to our account as needed and even set up our transfer for service this next month since we are moving. Today she called to tell them our bill is to high and we need to see what we can do to lower it. The first lady she talked to was extremely helpful, the second lady was very helpful as well. When this last lady transfered her to advance customer service she was treated wil complete disrespect. The lady wouldn't allow her to make changes even though she is the ONLY one who has one so over the years. When she asked to speak with her manager, the evil lady said she couldn't but she could have someone call her in 48 hours. She continued arguing with my fiance when all she wanted was a manager or even someone else. This horrile rep said there was not even someone else for her to speak with, I am so disappointed in the way we are being treated especially seeing as we are very loyal Comcast customers and even refer our friends to comcast. We are so extremely disappointed in the service that was recieved by this horrible horrible evil rep. She should not be allowed to work for the public. We both work in customer service and if someone asks to speak to a manager, you do not argue with that person. I am on the phone with them now and they are in the process of lowering our bill, which I am thankful for, but I can not forgive today's encounter!

Visitor
GIzzysmom

I want to know where I can go to file a law suit against Comcast Cable. I am so tired of their BS from their foreign customer service agents. Tired of the company continually resetting my modem and resetting my internet speed. The day after Sandy hit my internet shut down. Took over 2 months to get it fixed and a lot of aggravation. I got my speed back, but as of 2/16 I was online with customer support, she reset my modem with no warning. BTW what I was talking to her about was of no concern to my internet. My text message failed to work. I noticed my service was laggy as all get out last night. I checked my internet speed and it dropped from 50mps down to 20mps. I called the 800 number this morning. Again a  I got a foreigner who never even asked my name just reset my modem, hung up on me. I have filed numerous complaints with the BBB but I don't feel I should have to do that to get my issues resolved.

I am not sure the FCC will do anything to help with the situation. I am paying a very high price for the services I am supposed to be getting but don't. I can't take them out of my house because of condo regulations. I can't put up a dish or I would have gotten rid of them years ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all Comcast is still on shore. They just hire people who can barely speak or understand English. Second, the way they treat their employees encourages rude and don't care type service. They just want them to be robots and spew out the company lines and not think or react with customers in normal manner. I just had to call Verizon and it was like day and night the way Verizon handles it's customers. They are professional and will say they do not know and ask me to hold while they find out and get back to me with an answer in a matter of minutes. I was in customer service for 23 years and there is absolutely no excuse for rude behavior and unwillingness to serve the customers the best you can. There is nothing wrong with saying you do not know something rather then give a total false response or wrong response. Third, good luck in any law suit. They will drag it out so long that it no longer becomes cost effective for you to continue and you will go away.  That is a classic tactic of governments and mega corporations. When your legal fees are costing more then you can ever hope to get out of them you give up and go away.

Visitor
GIzzysmom

Comcast does outsource jobs to the Philippines and the Caribbean. Google companies in the U.S. that outsource jobs and you will be suprised at just how many do so.

I know because I have called them enough to know who I am speaking with because I ask them where they are located.  I did speak with the FCC after I posted my post and they told me to go ahead and file a complaint with them.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

jeff3603 wrote:

First of all Comcast is still on shore.

FWIW, this is incorrect as another person from another thread had stated to you and another person here has commented. They do indeed outsource and this is especially so during off hours.

New Visitor
Jordynne

Comcast outsources much of its customer service to an online based support company. Some of which is outsourced overseas so you are completely wrong stating it is still on shore. 

New Visitor
LizK4601

Purchased Condo the HOA pays basic fee to Comcast. We took the box since we were paying for it and I added internet so I could use my laptop. My family worked on condo for 3 months never having cable but not living their so it was not a big deal. Nov 2012 I wanted it working I went to the local cable office on Ironwood Rd PBG. I accepted the $85 dollar fee to have a tech come out to install and was given a date. I received no call and I never received a Tech. When I called I was told there was no appt. Very upset I again made an appt(3 days later) and waited for the Tech. When he showed up he changed out a splitter in attic and configured the masterbed box to the livingroom (we are paying for any room DVR. in Master which is only 15 ft away from livingroom). The bedroom box never works on ANY ROOM DVR. We called again, made another appt. Comcast never showed up. We were told we canceled (NEVER DID). Made another appt that Sat I was called and was told we were fixed and didn't need any one to come to our home. I think at this point I was screaming at them saying no we are still not working. The Tech showed up 2 hours late and said the wiring was bad outside, needed to be replaced and we needed to get rid of " any room DVR" and pay for two boxes because it doesn't work (never brought us new box or fixed it). We told him we wanted a new box and he scheduled us to have another tech come out. Last night I got home at 4:30 my appt was for 5 pm. The tech was there already dug up dirt and was replacing wire. I said hi and walked in to my home. 10 minutes later he was gone, I had my SGD open by front door and he never knocked or check to see if we were working. He left his trash in my garden wires all over the place (which will be cut by the lawn guys). If I could I would send in the photos we took. Now to make it worse I have paid in 4 months $750 for junk. My husband was told last night after 50 mins ... 3 people later, again we had no appt for the "ANY ROOM DVR" issue. That would have to be scheduled. COMCAST is the worst company in customer assistance.

New Visitor
Fiorem

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.  I have called many times and have been put on hold and given the runaround for days with now way to change my plan in order to lower my monthly fees, which have been going up without my knowledge.  This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Email Expert
CCCarole

New Visitor
Feedupinflorida

We have equally experienced horrible customer service with Comcast overseas reps as well as local customer service individuals at the local Comcast office.  After dealing wiith inept reps in other countries and a local woman at the center who told me to "Just stop talking, I am not listening..."  We found that AT&T was willing to listen and offered us a much better deal.  I am still waiting for Comcast to shut off the service as was requested last week.  Until then, I have decided to go through customer service posts and offer the help Comcast does not seem to want to. 

Your wallet is your best defense.  Check out other carriers and see what they have to offer.  There are always new deals popping up.   Comcast is eventually going to figure this out.  I  saw an earlier comment about Verizon, we have had them for cell service for over 5 years and have never had an issue with customer service.  You always get someone who is in the US and they are always very helpful.  Comcast should take notes. 

If you wish to send a formal complaint to the Comcast SVP the link is below.  It took me a while to get this link, noone seemed to want to give me the correct information.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/TomKCustCare.html?SCRedirect=true

Best of luck!

Contributor

interesting...i clicked on Reply from Comcast in my email....thinking i'd get a reply from comcast....duh! it's another letter of complaint. it looks like a response to what i wrote 5/7/13....however, my complaint is no longer there.

they've told me 2x  that my concerns were being "considered"....hmmmmmmm....as dr phil says, "the best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior"

i wonder if comcast ever reads Yelp....guess they don't have to....dey da massa....we da slaves

New Visitor
Aries1126

I have had more problems with Comcast in the past year than I care to mention.  My last encounter was because my neighbor at my condo complex knows my phone number and was applying for personal pay day loans and giving my home phone number out for verification.  I decided that enough was enough and after having the same phone number for 42 years decided to change it.  Since my phone system is through Comcast I had to contact them.  They changed my phone number alright then disconneted both numbers so now I have no phone service.  It has taken me almost 2 hours but a supervisor has promised to fix their problem that they created.  I am not paying my bill until I get my phone service back!!!!!!   The service representative told me lie after lie and refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor.  This is just one of the hundreds of problems Comcast has cost me.  In January they disconnected my phone service and told me I cancelled it.  That time it took 3 days and a letter to the Attorney General's office to get my phone service back.  Comcast is absolutely the worst company ever in customer service and I ought to know,  I do customer service and have for the past 32 years for the Federal Government!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor
jpcici

I am so angry at them.  They had 2 accounts registered to me - I've had Comcast in the past and I always paid on line through my checking account.  Well, lo & behold, they applied it to the wrong account.  They say it's my fault.  They cut me off without any notice and my bill wasn't even due for 2 more days!!!!

I don't know who to complain to but I'll start with my Senator Al Franken who is an enemy of these communication companies.  I also will send it to my congressional rep, Keith Ellison.

New Visitor
billyboy615

First of all the actual internet/ cable service has been good,  not to many interuptions. The complaint I have is mostly accounting/billing. My friend and I were compairing bills: he has 2 sports package and a couple of premium channels, 3 HD TVs and pays $167 a month. We have basic with 2 TVs and they are charging us +/- $211. I called CS to let them know I was not happy that the bill goes up every month started at $99 endes around $215 every month. After 3 rings of customer service I was put on with an overworked rude lady I was on hold for almost 10 min to talk to that the only thing she could do was take $20 off. She said it was going to be applied immediatly, still have not seen the credit.

After checking on the competition I decided to leave Comcast after 7 years of being a customer.

I turned in my equipment, All of it... every piece we used every day just as it was hooked up by the technician, they said the roughter was not theirs... I even took the cables.

I got the final bill as stated on the bill "THIS IS YOUR FINAL BILL" with a due date of June 1st, recieved it May 19th.  May 20th I get a call from their collections company. I may be a simple man... but  June comes after May at least in my calender.

I called Comcast to tell them how RUDE it was sending people to collections that WERE not late.... he went through this long explanation about their billing computer generated billing.......... Bottom line, you send me a bill that has an amount and a date it is due, that is when you will get it and what you will get. If your computer is spitting them out by mistake.... fix it. Most companies have a 1-2 week grace period, then their accounting dept calls or send reminder phone call... then collections. 

Now that I complained they said I owe them a router.......

I'll go use the free internet at McDonolds before I become a Comcast customer again. Direct TV is great you should try it.

You need to change your policies, most of your staff is great, give the poor lady at the end of the customer service tree an assiatant, she sounded like a postal worker who just got passed over for her 10 promotion.... Your service techs have been knowledgable and prompt, they just need to file their paperwork for equipment collected.

Put more money into keeping your customer, less into advertising to get their replacements... it is cheaper in the long run!

Bye

BB

New Visitor
MLamano

I'll admit that I am the first to complain about poor customer Service.  Having spent 30 years in sales and marketing, i believe I owe all of my past success to placing myself in the customer's shoes and going above and beyond to work toward a mutually benefical resolution.

I too could jump on the 'bash Comcast customer service' bandwagon, most of their frontline reps appear to indeed read from a SmartScreen and offer the same canned reply to any number of issues/complaints.  Nor do I enjoy struggling to understand their broken english.

However, I post today to recognize the outstanding service I received from Susan, ID #4547, a member of the MakeItRight team.  She LISTENED, empathized, and resolved my billing issue to the best of her ability - not 100% of the credit I requested, but yes, a mutually beneficial resolution.  An enjoyable conversation, in spite of the fact that I had half a dozen agitated conversations with Comcast customer service at 800-266-2278.

Just wanted to acknowledge Susan's service and say thank you, from someone who believes customer service is the most important ingredient to ANY business' success.  I'll not share the phone number, as I found it only thru my own due diligence and don't want this group to become overwhelmed with calls and morph into frontline reps, but I would encourage Comcast to invest the time and money training their normal cs team to perform basic customer service eessentials - its really quite simple - listen, empathize and reach a mutually beneficial resolution.

Contributor

in response to LMamano......

yes..i agree. i, too am a bug about customer service.....i have a small biz and bend over backwards for my clients.

i don't know why these comments come and go so much....after my original rant....i posted a follow up..(which seems to be missing now) that, yes, deep in the forest there are gnomes that can grant your wishes....as you state here.....however, the path is rocky and sometimes obscured and your feet are bleeding when you finally reach your destination.

this is to reinforce your comment today about there being a way to get what you need.eventually.....tho, like all mythology...it calls for facing down the green faced, cackling witches and winged monkeys on the way

Visitor
GIzzysmom

I worked in retail and customer service pays your paycheck. The customer is always right and that's the way it should be. With Comcast that is not always the situation. The company itself has learned to scheme things legally which is very sad. So many people complain about the company I am not sure why it's not regulated or why someone doesn't push for it to be regulated again. I am very disappointed in Comcast, have been for years.

Regular Visitor
jpcici

There is one thing that I really like about Comcast.  Even when I talk to 1st level tech support, as soon as they know that I'm an IT person, they are usually quite skilled.  Alot of them should be level 2 at least.  I've worked support myself years ago and it is a thankless job until you talk to customers who understand what you can do for them.  The bad part is that I heard from one tech that alot of support is going off-shore and that is extremely distressing since all this off-shoring and out-sourcing that's been going on since 2001 in IT has put alot of very highly skilled professionals out of their profession and working at minimum wage jobs.

Visitor
GIzzysmom

Yes Comcast is one of the largest companies to outsource jobs to outside of the U.S. This is so wrong on numerous reasons. They need to stop it NOW!!! The people that answer the phones for them are so rude, uniformed to fix issues and for one I am sick of them.  It should be illegal to outsource jobs to countries outside of the U.S.