New Visitor
Croth62

Hurricane Irene

Did Comcast evacuate? Have had no service since 9:00ish Saturday night. If I were a new customer and not a 20 year (remember Adelphia) loyal member, maybe I would be able to get my service restored. Good thing I don't have triple play - would have no phone either. Disappointing - like the recent upgrade. Thanks again Comcast!
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Hurricane Irene

[ Edited ]

Let's see. A hurricane blew through the east coast. Lots of systems have been affected. It's widespread and a lot to deal with and fix. Comcast and other companies will be working overtime to get everything restored. It won't happen immediately.

Should Comcast jump because you want your service restored RIGHT NOW? Everyone else wants the same thing.

Q: Why did I lose my TV, Internet and Voice services and still have power?
A: While Comcast’s facilities are generally located on the same poles as electric companies, the utilities are often fed from a different power source than the cable. There are different “distribution” points along the way. If one of these distribution points does not have commercial power, your cable will not work. See How Cable Works  for more details.

After a storm, our broadband network will alert us to the areas affected by a system outage. However, there are times when you will need to report service interruptions.

Please see the chart below for examples.

(click the link below for the chart)

http://www.comcast.com/hurricaneseason/

WHEN they repair the lines depends on several factors.

Is it knocked out at a place where the power also got knocked out? The power company will have to restore power first.

Are there trees down in the area where Comcast and the power company need to be? Depending on the size of the trees they will have to be removed enough so crews can get in to work. There may be trees down in the road that have to be cleared away first.

There could be damage to a headend or distribution hub. These will have to be repaired or replaced before service is restored.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor
mcrmbltt

I feel your pain. I have not had cable since the wee hours of this morning, Sunday. And still no cable. You call, and they say they are working on it. Everyone one should be getting a credit on their bill. But don't hold your breath. You would think with today's technology they would have figured something out to prevent this. Have they no back-up system?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I am sorry to hear ya'll are doing without - when Katrina hit down  here (southern Mississippi) we were without electrical power for 9 days and no Comcast of any variety for about 6 weeks - however, Comast was very fair and did not charge us for what we did not have.  You have to face reality and just as we were - be happy after a major life threatening weather occurance - glad to have survived and slowly but surely, got "back to normal life"!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Back-up systems can get damaged. 

As for credit, I received an automatic credit for the days I had no Comcast service after the April 22nd tornado. I did not ask for one-but the credit still showed up on the next bill.                   

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor

Yeah, obviously it is the Hurricane, but it should be noted that nowhere around here, Central NJ, that people I know that have FIOS where Comcast also is, lost service.  It probably went out in certain areas, but it seems like Comcast went down everywhere and FIOS did not.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

barneygumbel wrote:

It probably went out in certain areas, but it seems like Comcast went down everywhere and FIOS did not.

Lots of us that got hit by the hurricane kept our Comcast service just fine. Also Comcast's service area is about 100 times larger than FiOS, so naturally they are gonna' take more damage from a storm.

New Visitor
gryhnd

[ Edited ]

Our phone/tv/net went out along with the power early Sunday morning. No problem understandable. However power has been back for some time now, and we still do not have tv/phone/internet.  I can deal with that...I know a lot went on, however when I asked Comcast for an update on service restoration (heck, any information at all), it basically went like this (edited for clarity/privacy):

"Me: My Issue: All services continue to be out. When can we expect restoration of service?"
"Rep: I see here in your account note that the outage status is still in progress. "
‎"Me: lol, yes, that is why I am writing you"
"Me: any notes about when to expect service again?"
"Rep: Pleas do not worry, once the problem is fixed, your service will be restored as soon as possible.."

No, really?

Seriously, you need to give your customers something: what is the actual problem if you can't give info on expected restoration. If you tell me "a major substation is off line...etc etc", then I have something to bite into, but the equivalent of "whenever" is not acceptable, especially when you are providing telephone service. At least the power company, while tough to swallow, is telling neighbors "potentially through September 4th".

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Yeah I'm not sure why Comcast can't give customers some info, it's something that they really should fix.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

The vast majority of our customers’ services were restored once power came back to their homes. We are making good progress restoring services in areas impacted more significantly by falling trees and floods, and our employees will continue to work tirelessly until every customer’s services have been restored. We appreciate your patience and understanding.    

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Email Expert
CCCarole

Food for thought:  Portion of an article I just read.

All together, the storm has been blamed for at least 42 deaths in 12 states. :smileycry:

More than 2.5 million people from North Carolina to Maine were still without
electricity Tuesday, three days after the hurricane churned up the Eastern
Seaboard.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

My thoughts and prayers are out to all families dealing with this unfortunate issue.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
srsnelm

To the person who brought up the fact that 42 people (thus far) have lost their lives to this massive storm, thank you very much. 

Yes, I miss my cable, too, but entire towns in northern states have been practically wiped off the map and there are people around us who don’t have basic anything, much less cable.  When I drive around, I see more neighborhoods that are without power than those whose power has been restored.  I see policemen standing in the middle of streets tirelessly directing traffic because we can’t remember the basic rule we were taught in driver’s ed – if the light is out, treat the intersection like it’s a four–way stop.  And guess what, these men and women don’t have power, phone, or cable either.  There are convoys of cherry pickers driving north and west right now to help us in our time of need.  They have left their families to help us. 

The substation that powers the station that shoots out our cable blew late Saturday night.  Once I heard that, I knew we would not have cable for a while.  In the grand scheme of things, a few days without cable are not so bad…

Contributor
aliceq

So much this. I understand perfectly well why there are service interruptions after a big storm. And certainly there are people who are much worse off than I am (my power was only off for 7 hours, and there is no major damage in my neighborhood). But the tone of the Comcast notices (we know there's a service issue in your area and we're working around the clock to fix it) is downright insulting. What I'd like to see is a general statement about the sorts of things that can cause difficulties in restoring service. It doesn't have to be tailored to my specific area. I'd also like to see some statement from Comcast about credit for downtime.

As a side note, I have to say that I'm very glad that I didn't succumb to the hard sell to switch my phone service to Comcast. My AT&T line didn't go down at all, even when the power was out, and I still have a nice dial tone.

Email Expert
CCCarole

This was on the Comcast homepage Saturday and Sunday:

Hurricane Season

Comcast is Working to Restore Services After Hurricane Irene

We are continuing to work closely with state and local emergency personnel and power companies, and our crews will be working around-the-clock in impacted areas once provided clearance that it's safe to do so.

Below you will find links and information to help answer questions you may have regarding your Comcast services during and after a major storm.

Helpful Tips

Before the Storm

• Be prepared and have an emergency plan in place. If you don't have a plan, or don't know how to make one, click hereto learn more.
  • Keep your Comcast account information and our contact phone numbers handy. See When to Contact Usfor more information.
  • Stay informed by listening to radio and TV bulletins and by reading our newspaper and website updates.
  • Report any low-hanging cable lines before a storm.

After the Storm

• Stay inside your home until your Emergency Center advises otherwise. Always remember to stay away from fallen wires.
  • Keep debris clear of cable pedestal.
  • Be careful to not cut cable lines as you trim trees and clear debris.
  • We will keep you informed of restoration progress via radio and newspaper bulletins first, and will continue updating you via TV and online updates as electricity is restored.

Helpful Resources

These organizations are not affiliated with Comcast in any way.

How Cable Works

Explanation of Cable SystemWhile Comcast’s facilities are generally located on the same poles as electric companies, we each deliver services in a different way. Therefore, it is possible and quite likely that during hurricane recovery not all services will be restored at the same time.

How Comcast Brings Cable Services To Your Home

Super headends are connected by broadband to more local headends or distribution hubs, which bring cable services to communities your area

These distribution hubs are transition points, which deliver programming and high-speed Internet service directly to neighborhoods through nodes.

Nodes are very localized distribution points, directly connecting Comcast customers with video and high-speed Internet services.

Our super headends, local headends, and nodes are located within neighborhoods and are all on generator power until commercial power is restored to these locations. Commercial power must be restored to your home before your cable services are.

Please see When to Contact Us to know when you should call us to report service outages.

Please remember: Commercial power must be restored to your home to power your cable box and modem before your video, phone and internet services can begin working again. Only after power lines are repaired in your area can Comcast technicians obtain access to repair any network damage the storm might have caused.

Helpful Tips for XFINITY® Voice

Should a storm threaten your region, providing service to Xfinity Voice home phone service customers will be a top priority during our restoration process.

Xfinity Voice is built to withstand the effects of even the most severe storms, so even if a storm should interrupt Internet service, there is a good chance your home phone service will continue to work.

Here are some tips to keep in mind in advance of any potential storms:

Have a traditional hard-wired phone on standby. If power is interrupted, wireless phones will not work. 

Make sure the back-up battery is installed in your Xfinity Voice modem. When commercial power fails, this internal battery can provide up to 8 hours of service. To ensure the battery lasts up to its full potential, make only necessary calls.

To confirm your modem has a back-up battery, flip it over and open the compartment to make sure the battery is installed.  If you don’t have a back-up battery, call or visit your local Comcast, or call 1-800-COMCAST and we’ll send one to you right away. If you would like to purchase additional batteries, please visit www.yourbroadbandstore.com.

When To Contact Us

Ground Drop

After a storm, our broadband network will alert us to the areas affected by a system outage. However, there are times when you will need to report service interruptions.

Please see the chart below for examples.

Your Situation

Do You Need To Contact Us?

You do not have commercial power.   NO - your home TV and High Speed Internet and Voice services depend on electrical power.
You have commercial power and no one in your neighborhood has cable.   NO - we are already aware of and working to repair network outages.
You have power and no cable service but your neighbor has cable.   YES - restoring the damage to your cable may require additional technical support. Contact Us
The cable that connects directly to your home (the service drop) is down.   YES - to restore your service the service drop must be repaired. Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: I have TV service but it goes in and out and the picture quality is not as good as usual.
A: Temporary fluctuations in your cable service may occur throughout the restoration period. You may experience brief losses of your cable services or degradation of picture quality as the power continues to be restored throughout the area.

Q: I do not currently have commercial power or TV, Internet or Voice services. Should I call to arrange for a service call?
A: If you DO NOT have commercial power restored you will not have cable services. You should not call for a service call until your commercial power has been restored.

Q: Why did I lose my TV, Internet and Voice services and still have power?
A: While Comcast’s facilities are generally located on the same poles as electric companies, the utilities are often fed from a different power source than the cable. There are different “distribution” points along the way. If one of these distribution points does not have commercial power, your cable will not work. See How Cable Works for more details.

Q: My neighbor has TV, Internet and Voice services but I do not.
A: If you have commercial power, please report the problem between 8am and 8pm. If you DO NOT have commercial power restored you will not have cable services.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
anrein1

I think they did....While every other utility in the area has trucks out and doing repairs, it has been 4 days since Irene has passed, and I have not seen 1 Comcast truck... I have seen a hundred Dominion Power, Verizon, and out of state Power trucks, but Comcast has them in a cave someplace so they don't get dirty.

New Visitor
anrein1

"We appreciate your patience and understanding", well it is getting to late for that..... I have had power now for days and you say that when one come up, typically so do the other utilities.... NOT.

Since FIOS is underground my neighbors never lost there dial tone or internet or cable.....Think I know who will be getting my money from now on.

Contributor
CcastDoesntCare

It's not the literal fact that we don't have the Internet/tv that's upsetting, it's the deceptive and unfair business practices Comcast has demonstrated that translate to we don't care about our customers. How ironic given their "Comcast Cares" motto. I read their hurricane website. Thanks to everyone for providing the links but I've read it so many times I probably have it memorized. I trusted Comcast and followed the information they provided even if it did seem more like a catch-all clause. Except it was entirely WRONG. The website told me:

Your Situation

You have commercial power and no one in your neighborhood has cable.

Do You Need to Contact Us?

NO - we are already aware of and working to repair network outages.

3 days later, after giving them the benefit of the doubt, I call to check on the status since after all they're aware these types of outages per their hurricane preparation website. Customer service tells me not only are they NOT repairing any network outages in my area, but that they aren't even aware of any outages in my area.

It's downright deceptive for Comcast to advise customers not to contact them in a specific situation when they're completely wrong. When I brought this to their attention they disregarded my concerns entirely. At least apologize and say oops. They didn't even address what I said. Or any concern about my community of 50 households experiencing the same thing. I would have contacted them immediately had I known their website was providing false information. There's no doubt that we all recognize how minimal our issues are compared to the widespread devastation and tragedies. But our perceptions have nothing to do with what Comcast owes us (and has promised us) as consumers. Such misleading information and deception is unlawful, otherwise there wouldn't be federal laws protecting consumers.

New Visitor

I think everyone understands that with such a widespread power outage that the cable/internet/phone will go off and that once the power has been restored it could take a little more time to restore that cable.  What I find so hard to swallow is that every time I call Comcast to check as to why my mothers cable/internet and phone works sometimes and not others, even though she never lost power, I get a different answer.  First I was told the wires were down somewhere in town.  Then I was told it was a Comcast server problem.  Then we went full circle and it was downed wire again.  My mom lives alone and uses comcast phone service.  She is now without a phone.  Every time I try to explain that, I am told "so sorry for your inconvenience".  Inconvenience?  Will they be saying that if something happens and she can't call anyone?  An honest answer would help. 

Visitor
ICS2

Queen-Evie - "Service Expert", do you work for Comcast? This type of attitude in your response to Croth 62 is certainly not Conducive to fostering customer retention!!

There are many of us who are without services since the storm (day 6 here) , we understand the severity of post-Irene in many parts of the East Coast (sever flooding in my town), the fact of the matter is that unlike power companies in the area, there have been NO useful statements from Comcast, no communication with the communities affected by the outages, and most importantly no information provided to the customer.

Our services costs close to 2K/year and we're treated with a take-it or leave it attitude. After this experience we will certainly have learned more about the industry and choose a provider who appreciates the business.

(Our entire complex has fiber installed - we chose to remain Vendor loyal - all that has now changed -  )

Regular Contributor

My agreements with ICS2.  In Connecticut CL&P has at least provided us with outage maps showing the percentages of locations hit, and has started to provide updates for power restoral.  With Comcast there is nothing, other then the same canned response. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Primarily the Help forum is a customer to customer help forum with limited monitoring by Comcast employees, especially any Comcast employee from a local office or headend.  A Comcast employee user name would be in Red. Those employees that do respond on the forums have usually been notified of a problem by one of the volunteer experts.

Those of us who answer here have had problems with Comcast also so we try to share our experiences and training to help others solve problems.

This is one of those problems that fellow customers can't do much about other than provide information we may have or links that other posters may not be aware of.

Contributor
kidwahhh

Move to Florida and see what happends when a storm rolls through. NJ gets one storm and people are worried about cable! LOL  Grab a good book or better yet take a drive and help those that have nothing. I think you will do better helping others than watching Jersey Shore. 

Visitor
ICS2

Appreciate the input kidwahhh.

I don't watch Jersey Shore or much else except for news and the occasional movie.

I DO however depend on cable internet connection to provide a service to small business customers here in NJ.

Yes as you say we're not used to major storms this time of year, especially with several feet of water outside our front door so it is a new experience.

Unlesss I had a boat not much I could do last week to help others outside our community,

Thanks again

Contributor
CcastDoesntCare

I've grabbed great books and I help others every day. That doesn't mean I can't be concerned with Comcast's poor customer service and consumer practices at the same time. You CAN help those who have nothing while at the same time being concerned about corporate wrong doing. Wouldn't you know as part of my job (considered a helping profession) I need the Internet every day. So not having Internet/cable actually impedes my ability to help others. Who would have thought you could use the Internet to help others!

As customers we pay for monthly services. 1 or 2 days without services is fine. But when it hits 5-7 days multiplied by thousands of customers in multiple states that adds up. Comcast still gets our money. The least we could get is a statement or some answers.

Visitor
ICS2

Dear CcastDoesntCare I felt your pain last week....it was a first for us, service knocked out for 7 days,

I did find helpful Comcast staff by around day 2, and they worked very hard to keep us informed of the situation in our area.

We were hit very hard, and it was as simple as that, nothing anyone could do until the waters receded and equipment and lines replaced and power restored.

I think it was a learning experience for both Comcast and residents here in NJ, as well.

If you have access to Twitter, that is where I eventually found some very effective and caring Comcast personel.

In the future reach out on Twitter to @Comcastcares, @Comcastwill, or  @ComcastMelissa