New Visitor
marvisnews
Accepted Solution

Is Comcast sending out door to door reps??

Around 4:45 pm tonight there was a knock on my door. I stupidly answered it(lack of sleep on my graveyard worker brain) the man at the door had a Comcast badge around his neck, a reflective vest that said Xfinity, and a clipboard. He confirmed my name and services then tried to sell me home phone service. I declined and shut and locked my door. He was in an unmarked vehicle. My question to hopefully a Comcast employee is are you sending people out door to door or should I be worried about horrible things?
New Visitor
erhkh

Re: Is Comcast sending out door to door reps??

They've been hounding me up to 4 times a night the past week with sales phone calls.not sure why they've started doing this but if it continues  i will definitely cancel service and tell as many people to as well.They say its a third party vendor so it takes 30 days to remove the name THIRTY DAYS??  Seriously think I believe that??...get real....

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

OK listen close to this one.  And I will type it in caps.   DO NOT EVER ORDER ANYTHING FROM ANYONE CLAIMING TO BE A COMCAST SALESMAN THAT GOES DOOR TO DOOR.   From what I have seen on this forum they will offer you things that comcast cannot honor.  I think these people work on commission only and comcast lets them loose into the wild.  Remember caveat emptor do not deal with these folks.  They are fly by night.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

There are actual Comcast emplyees that are "Winback" reps and direct sales people. They do often have the best deals. But like Rog said, thay are notorious for being less than truthfull. Even worse there are third party contractors that go door to door doing direct sales--their reputation is very, very bad.

Regular Contributor
dbflygirl

These reps are soliciting current AT&T customers to (as nerdburg stated) win back customers.  I'm not sure about other areas, but her in SE Michigan I know two separate households that have re-subscribed to comcast. 

One of these households happens to be my parents.......if I told you truthfully how amazing the deal was, you wouldn't believe me.  The representative was quite thorough and knowledgeable, leaps and bounds better than any other "comcast reps" I have dealt with.    Granted, he is a salesman....but he was adamant about service in the upcoming future.  He informed my parents if they ever needed service, or had a question in the future, to not even call comcast, but to call him directly. 

Two months in and two service calls later, he has been true to his word. 

He also called the order in to comcast right from the house, on speakerphone.  I found it funny that the telephone reps aren't even nice to other employees! :smileyshocked:Lastly, the contract is in writing and guaranteed for two years.

New Visitor
WizKid118

I would like to say that I am one of these third-party reps in the DC Metropolitan area and I conduct business exactly as dbflygirl said was done for her family. I am extremely successful at this in the short-time I've done it to the point where my customers have offered me jobs, but the real joy is meeting the numerous kind people and families who allow you to make them a part of their family/neighborhood for a short period of time. Of course we run into people who are not welcoming, but the way I look at it, I will more than likely never have to see the people who are rude again after I leave. We are paid well for each installation so it is my duty to take care of the customer beyond just the sale, so I give out my personal number and email and have definitely helped out customers who I signed up 6-8 months ago. All I would say is give the sales people a chance, and if you are not interested, just respectfully decline. We are well aware that we are interrupting valuable time in your lives, but realize that we are just people trying to do a job and take care of our families as well.
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Hey Wizkid, Thanks for posting, it's nice to see someone that enjoys their job. How do resolve problems for your customers? Do you have a relationship with the local technical ppl? Are you doing the Winback stuff or is it just door to door direct sales?

New Visitor
WizKid118

Nerdburg, the main thing I do is email my customers a checklist of things to double-check before the tech leaves the installation. As long as the installation is done correctly, I almost never receive any calls from a customer saying something is wrong. When there is something wrong, usually it is a minor issue that I or my supervisor can help with. When it is something beyond our control, we get a tech out there ASAP if the problem is urgent. Again though, I've made over 150 sales in the last 7-8 months and it is extremely rare that people call with issues in the first place despite me giving my number and email to every customer. I am a Winback rep. (For some reason, ipad is not spacing my paragraphs after I post.)
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

New Visitor
slapjack

I had a door-to-door sales rep offer me a no contract package and I got 3 years of service that included: 4 Tv's, 2 of them HD and 1 DVR and other 2 digital and it included all premium channels for 2 years, unlimited phone services and Performance internet with Powerboost for the low cost of $89.00 month plus tax and other services which totaled $109.00.

And it stayed that price for the entire 3 years.....

New Visitor
happygolucky30

You may not be aware but every cable company does this. Every company's goal is to obtain and retain customers. Hanson's windows, landscaping companies, ect.    A smart business owner gets out and networks.  Duhhhh. 

New Visitor
juliekay177

This same thing happened to me. I called Comcast and they confirmed that they do not send out reps in Personal Vehicles. I called the Sheriff's Department and they said next time the guy shows up, call 911 immediatley and try to get a license plate number, if I can. The gentlemen that came to my door did so on Thursday at 2pm, and again on Tuesday evening at 7pm. Very odd....

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

juliekay177 wrote:

This same thing happened to me. I called Comcast and they confirmed that they do not send out reps in Personal Vehicles. I called the Sheriff's Department and they said next time the guy shows up, call 911 immediatley and try to get a license plate number, if I can. The gentlemen that came to my door did so on Thursday at 2pm, and again on Tuesday evening at 7pm. Very odd....

No harm in calling the police if you feel the need. FWIW, I personally know a Comcast direct sales rep that drives his own vehicle. He typically knocks on doors in the evening because that's when ppl are home.

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

I do see comcast sales people going door to door in my area from time to time.

New Visitor
wlawrence

yeah do not trust them they will lie to you to get you signed up then not follow threw with what they promise

New Visitor
Cableguy911

Yes we are sending out reps, some of them work for DMI they are not in house reps, they are contractors, they are full commission and are hard closers and will sometimes fib to make the sale, so you need to ask if there in house reps, if they are, they will have a Comcast ID which we only get, the reason I know this is I am a actual sweep rep for Comcast and I know all the reps in our office take pride in giving the best experience to our customers even to the point of giving thank you cards so make sure to do your research before bad mouthing a really great company thanks

New Visitor
Cableguy911

Not true

New Visitor
Cableguy911

Julie your lying because we do send people door to door so call 1-800-Comcast and ask again 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

juliekay177 wrote:

Cableguy911 wrote:

Julie your lying because we do send people door to door so call 1-800-Comcast and ask again

Cableguy, please refrain from calling people liars. Julie made her statement based  on what Comcast told her. Maybe you missed the part about her being told Comcast employees do not use PERSONAL vehicles when going door-to-door. She did NOT say she was told Comcast never sends out door-to-door sales people.

That does not qualify as a lie. If employees use their PERSONAL vehicles that  is misinformation from whoever Julie talked to, so if anyone was "lying" it was the COMCAST person who told her that.

I suggest you read the Forum Posting Guidelines (which everyone should read before making his/her first post)  You would have seen this if you had read them:

Please Do:

Be Polite

These forums are designed to build a positive and thriving peer to peer help community. Positive, constructive comments and questions that are on topic will help maintain a positive spirit on these forums. Please give the same consideration and tolerance to others that you would like to receive from them.

Please Don't

Insult (flame) other Community members

We ask all members to discuss issues and disagree with other posters without resorting to or responding with insults, whether they are blatantly offensive or subtle and indirect.  Responding to an insult with an insult makes a poster as guilty of flaming as the original poster. Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting. These types of posts are not allowed and can result in the immediate revocation of one’s forum posting privileges.

Your posts are not polite. They are rude and insulting. There are numerous complaints that Comcast employees have been both rude and insulting to customers and you just added yourself to the rude employee list. 

Cableguy911 wrote:

Yes we are sending out reps, some of them work for DMI they are not in house reps, they are contractors, they are full commission and are hard closers and will sometimes fib to make the sale, so you need to ask if there in house reps, if they are, they will have a Comcast ID which we only get, the reason I know this is I am a actual sweep rep for Comcast and I know all the reps in our office take pride in giving the best experience to our customers even to the point of giving thank you cards so make sure to do your research before bad mouthing a really great company thanks

You may not be aware of this fact: Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrator in order to post in an official capacity. Employees have their names in RED and are designated as such.

If not authorized they can post here but cannot state they are employees. Nor can they allude to being employees.

If Comcast did a much better job at providing excellent customer service and getting issues resolved when first contacted instead of giving customers the run-around there would be no "bad mouthing" of the company. FWIW, there have been reports of COMCAST employed door-to-door sales people promising the moon and Comcast failed to deliver what was signed up for. There are clear cases of Comcast door-to-door sales promising one thing which Comcast billing will not honor when the customer is charged MORE than what was signed up for.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
ralphrichards

Yes, I am a direct sales rep for Comcast in Nashville,TN and they send me door to door to sell cable, phone, internet and now Home security.  This is the way they are increasing their sales, there is usually no pressure it's one of those things that you either want or don't.  It gives you more than what you can get on your own and provides a job to somebody who needs it.  So, the answer to you question is Yes.  This person is in fact either an Comcast employee or a contractor.  The things to look for is a Comcast ID he or she will have information and flyers with them and usually be wearing Xfinity clothing.  The unmarked car is because Comcast does not provide company cars, this is the persons personal vehicle.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

ralphrichards: Thanks for the info about car,clothing,and ID. In my years of being a Comcast customer I had 2 door to door Comcast sales persons. 1. Was HIGH PRESSURE sales,not going to take no for an answer. Number 2. The promise you the Moon and Stars,for a very low price. You and a very small amount of Comcast door to door people may truthful people,most are not.

Please take note of this part of Queen-Evie post:

(You may not be aware of this fact: Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrator in order to post in an official capacity. Employees have their names in RED and are designated as such.  

If not authorized they can post here but cannot state they are employees. Nor can they allude to being employees.       If Comcast did a much better job at providing excellent customer service and getting issues resolved when first contacted instead of giving customers the run-around there would be no "bad mouthing" of the company. FWIW, there have been reports of COMCAST employed door-to-door sales people promising the moon and Comcast failed to deliver what was signed up for. There are clear cases of Comcast door-to-door sales promising one thing which Comcast billing will not honor when the customer is charged MORE than what was signed up for.)

I live in a Comcast only community so door to door sales dose very little to increase customer base.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

From my experience every Comcast representative has always had a very prominent ID around their neck or attached to their shirt. They also wear Comcast logo shirts. Sometimes they do use their own vehicles, but always have prominent ID displayed. In fact, in most areas they are required to display prominent ID by law. No prominent ID beware is my motto. Also, Look closely at the ID. I have found several fake ones looking closely at them. They were very bad fakes. One had the kinko's/Fedex store address on it where he copied it. If they are legit they shouldn't object to you checking their ID.

New Visitor
New Visitor
ibo

Comcast have direct sales rep and they are actual comcast employees. Badge is their  proof and they drive own vechiles. Most times Direct sales reps have best deals than online and call center and even winning back from our competitors.

Email Expert
CCCarole

FYI- It has been our experience here in the Forums that too many times the deals promised are not true.  Customers are then billed a higher rate and fight for the rate/service promised.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
danny_ward

I am also a Comcast-employed Direct Sales Rep in the Nashville market. We have ID Badges for identification and wear company-branded clothing with either Comcast or the Xfinity logo. We also use personal vehicles and are reimbursed for our fuel expenses. I am honest and my customers are loyal. They know that I will be very upfront and forthcoming with them about their pricing and packages. Also, it is not always the case that the Direct Sales Rep it telling "lies". Very often, what the Rep is quoting to the customer is accurate, but gets keyed in wrong or changed by the technician at the time of installation. When these things happen, it can be crucial to have a direct line of communication to your Sales Rep because we can fix these types of issues. It isn't necessarily fair to assume that your Rep is lying to you just because things don't go smoothly.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

I can only speak for myself,based on my experience with Comcast.  danny_ward may be one of the.001% of door to door sales that dose care.  The two that I have had contact with was out of work used car salesmen. Who would not take no for an answer!  The last one I opened the door to, would give you everything Comcast offerd for a low,low price. Based on the post i have read on the board this is very common Comcast door to door sales employes.

New Visitor
mrcrwilliams

[ Edited ]

My name is CR Williams and I am an IDEPENDENT contractor, an affiliate of IMG Marketing, a company that does Door-To-Door, Direct Sales for Xfinity/Comcast, in the Northern Illinois area. I have received a State investigated background check and provided an Xfinity/Comcast ID card associated to IMG Marketing. I work in different villages and cities within the area, and for each municipality, that requires it, I  personally pay for a PERMIT to work there. I work on a Federal Income Tax Form-1099 and as a result, write off business mileage for using my personal vehicle for business. I agree with both sides of the discussion because I know for a FACT that some contractors do not dress for success, are very unprofessional and will provide misinformation to close a sale. I also know for a FACT that I have been on my lunch break, minding my own business and have had people come to my table seeking information about getting Xfinity/Comcast services. Many of my customers have become friends and often refer their family, friends and others, to me, to obtain Xfinity/Comcast services.

Visitor

I am a Comcast Direct sales rep. working directly for Comcast. I can offer you specials that other departments can't.  It is true Comcast also has sub contractors that have a reputation for being shady.... sometimes true. I work hard at a very challenging job and my integrity is very important to me. I follow through on my word as I have always done in my over 25 years in sales. My work motto is 1) Say what you are going to do. 2) Do it  & 3) have fun! So if you do get a knock at the door see what they have to say, get it in writing, ask for their cell phone# (if they haven't already given it to you) and call it to make sure. You have 30 days to cancel and can save hundreds if not thousands of dollars over a 2 yr period!!!

Contributor

well, we live in a private communtiy, with "NO Soliciting" signs posted, we have had a guy walking thru our community doing the same thing, clipboard talking about upgrades, but he becomes very pushy and aloof if people say no.  And, I told him, this is private property, no soliciting...If you don't leave, I'm calling the police, and he very cocky says, "Go Ahead!" 

So, we called the police, and he will be caught and charges will be upheld...he has no right on private property especially when signs are posted.  And then to get angry and cocky with people....? 

Contributor

We've had a rep from Comcast come out to our community, and he is aloof and gets angry if people tell him, "no Thankyou", so we have filed a complaint with the police...and by the way, he ignored verbal warnings, that our community is a privet one, with No Soliciting signs all around our community. He refused to acknowledge our need for privacy and insists, that it is ok to be there?????  So we have called the police, and filed a complaint.  This is going to far!

So, if we catch him, we are going to press charges...

New Visitor
want2join

Hi,

I wanted to know how could I sign up to become one of these reps? My service was started by some one who knew someone but I would like to offer the service as well to my peers. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

want2join wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to know how could I sign up to become one of these reps? My service was started by some one who knew someone but I would like to offer the service as well to my peers. 

A lot of the reps are actual Comcast employees, you can apply at Comcast.com. Look for "Direct Sales" or "Winback" jobs. They make pretty good money and Comcast offers excellent benefits. 

If you own a company and would like to be a Comcast reseller, go here: http://business.comcast.com/partner

New Visitor
Jacques32

For all his posts, this Rog guy is manifesting an incredible lack of insight.

I also had a Comcast salesman come to the door, well prepared with the date that I had dropped Comcast.

I will always open the door to a non-paid volunteer, but rarely talk with someone selling things.

This salesman, a retired professional from another industry, was specific, responsive, and put all his answers in writing. He was candid about the timing of getting X1 in our neighborhood.

Rather than bash the program, I'd humbly suggest that Comcast have this salesman conduct customer service training. I can't post the entire name of William,serving the Chicago Western Suburbs, but he has outshined everyone I've dealth with at Comcast, except for two repair technicians... one a IBEW installer, and the other from the QC department. The first installer couldn't even hit the 7-9 AM service window. No call, no "oops, I'm late" comment. It sure makes a mockery of the 2 hour commercials, eh?

Granted, I can't believe how horrible the Comcast service has been so far, but I need to be fair regarding the Salesperson.

Just my two cents... when we paint with a broad brush, it diminishes our credibility.

New Visitor
mrcrwilliams

My name is CR Williams and I am an IDEPENDENT contractor, an affiliate of IMG Marketing, a company that does Door-To-Door, Direct Sales for Xfinity/Comcast, in the Northern Illinois area. I have received a State investigated background check and provided an Xfinity/Comcast ID card associated to IMG Marketing. I work in different villages and cities within the area, and for each municipality, that requires it, I  personally pay for a PERMIT to work there. I work on a Federal Income Tax Form-1099 and as a result, write off business mileage for using my personal vehicle for business. I agree with both sides of the discussion because I know for a FACT that some contractors do not dress for success, are very unprofessional and will provide misinformation to close a sale. I also know for a FACT that I have been on my lunch break, minding my own business and have had people come to my table seeking information about getting Xfinity/Comcast services. Many of my customers have become friends and often refer their family, friends and others, to me, to obtain Xfinity/Comcast services

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

mrcrwilliams: I can only speak for myself. The door to door people that have came down our street have not offered to show any ID. No Comcast car or sign on it. Just you typical out of work used car sales person. Giving you the used car sales pitch. The greats product in the world, at a price so low they can only offer it in person. One day special. This is what i think most of us see as Comast sales people. You sir maybe an IDEPENDENT contractor that takes pride in his job. Most of us never anyone like you from Comcast.

Regular Contributor
edandkt

I live in central Virginia. I had a rep come to my door last evening with a comcast id and shirt.  Most of the time,  I am not very friendly to someone coming to my door to sell anything. I have Comcast internet and recently tried online and talking with a rep to upgrade my service thinking it only logical combining my internet and tv service would provide savings.  I decided Comcast really didn't want to provide my tv service.  I understand something about business and financing and assumed Comcast was mostly concerned about margin and believe the margin is much greater for internet.

Ben, the door rep,  was polite, listened and provided a package I would accept at a much better price than I could get online.  I have a contract and the day Comcast shows up to do the install I will be certain the contract is valid from the installer before any work is done.  

If you aren't interested why not just say "no thank you".  I have a contract and won't be obligated for anything if this contract isn't valid.

Just my Opinion !

New Visitor
yourcableguy

My name is Chris.  I am a Comcast Cable Representative.  You have nothing to fear from me or my brethren.  We are not "casing the joint".  We are professional salesmen with a code of conduct.  We are looking to save you money and give you better value for your hard earned dollar.  Right now we are offering a 30 day free trial, and a "contract-free" two year price guarrantee.  We are not trying to fleece you and couldn't if we tried.  All we bring with us is a service order---not a contract.  You can rescind right up to and including the date of installation.  Some of my team members can get very passionate but they understand the word no.  You have nothing to fear from us my friend. 

New Visitor
yourcableguy

I want to apologize for your experience.  I am a comcast representative.  We are given the task of meeting with past subscribers and letting them know that we have capped our prices, reinvested our profits in new equipment and are bringing our customer service back to our local area.  We do not mean to antagonize or offend.  If you have a viable reason for not wanting or needing to talk to us, we will understand and we will leave.  In our minds we are doing the public a great service by buying you out of our competitor's contract and saving you $50 a month without placing you back in a binding contract.

New Visitor
yourcableguy

Hi, my name is Chris.  I am a Comcast representative.  I am not a "fly-by-night" kind of person.  I live near or in the area that I serve.  The offers I bring when I arrive at the door are authorized but unadvertised offers.  I place your order before I leave your door.  My paycheck is dependent on your satisfaction.  If you are not happy with my service or comcast's, you have the right to withdrawal.  You are not bound to a contract with me or my company with most of our offers.  If you withdrawal.  I do not get paid.  It is that simple.  So I do my best to make sure that I bring you good offers, that I save you money or create more value for the money spent, and that you are happy with our services.  If I do anything less, I am wasting our time together.  

New Visitor
yourcableguy

Dear Sir, I am a comcast cable rep.  Like the gentleman from michigan, I do enjoy my job.  I do not have a company car so I do show up in your neighborhood in my personal vehicle.  I do get a permit before I show up in your area.  If I do not, I get cited and fined.  Each time I get a permit, the local police run a background check on me.  I am a nice guy trying to do you a great service by giving you great service at a great price.  Currently, we are offering you a thirty-day money back guarrantee.  We have a two year price guarrantee.  We show you any scheduled price increases before you sign the service order and you sign a service order, not a contract.  I even show you how we arrive at your monthly recurring bill.  We are salesmen.  Not con men. 

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (duplicate post). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

yourcableguy:

You have done a good job of script reading. The Comcast customers that have had high pressure, out of work used care sales person, and my i add will not take no for an answer. This is a old post most of the time the mod will not let anyone post on a thread this old. Sir: people who live were Comcast is the only game in town. We get no offers like.

_________________________________________________________________________________

yourcableguy

Currently, we are offering you a thirty-day money back guarrantee.  We have a two year price guarrantee.  We show you any scheduled price increases before you sign the service order and you sign a service order, not a contract.  I even show you how we arrive at your monthly recurring bill.  We are salesmen.  Not con men.