New Visitor
kelsay

Is comcast now reporting us for piracy?

A friend of mine just got busted for piracy,he said comcast sighned contracts with major motion picture production companies and record label companies to spy on our internet activity and to report us for piracy.Contracts are public and i think i will be checking this out,i pay for service not to be spied on.That is an invasion of privacey is it not?

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Re: Is comcast now reporting us for piracy?

[ Edited ]

Interesting article http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/15/true-cost-piracy/

Only problem I foresee is in July if and when they enact these measures it will have the same effect as slapping a bees nest .

New Visitor
kelsay

[ Edited ]

yes, i know,i want comcast to say it out loud! subscribers have the right to know.

New Visitor
kelsay

Is Comcast now reporting us for piracy?

why did u delete my post? is comcast now reporting us for piracy?

New Visitor
kelsay

Re: Delete Call History

Contributor
chgenrich

interesting link kelsay, but piracy is you and I stealing songs. movies, videos, or other protected material.

Wiretapping is someone illegally recording your telephone calls  (NOT lists of numbers called/received, but call CONTENT - WIRETAPPING.)

Y'all ought to try reading this site - it is exactly what comcast is doing - recording your telephone calls - wiretapping - illegally.

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs9-wrtp.htm

Recognized Contributor
sabretooth

Comcast isn't touching your telephone, just the Internet.  Not the same, sucks just the same.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Is Comcast now reporting us for piracy?

kelsay wrote:

why did u delete my post? is comcast now reporting us for piracy?

No. The "Graduated Response" scheme being implemented in July does not mean Comcast is spying on you and reporting anything. The copyright holder still must make a complaint before Comcast will take any action. Users who get flagged repeatedly for piracy will get "educated", threatened and possibly sanctioned.

Comcast and the recording industry seem to never learn. This nonsense will not have any effect on piracy, but will surely devolve into a public relations nightmare. Have you forgotten SOPA already Comcast?

New Visitor
dewpoint88

it IS the same. Under wiretapping, you can be arrested for audio/video recording people and police officers in public in many states.  wiretapping laws concern more than just phones.

New Visitor
JRob88

Graduated Response

As I soon found out this company has decided to Opt into the "Graduated Response" program. What is it?

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/rgw4m/starting_july_1_isps_are_voluntarily_rolling_out/

It's a measure to prevent online Piracy, though misguided. If a Copyright holder calls the ISP with an accusation that one of their subscribers is infringing on their intellectual property, the ISP will start measures that get increasingly worse. That sounds great in theory, however, this shifts the burden of proof you the accused to defend themselves to stop the letter, throttling of internet connection, and worst of all, suspension of your account. Does that sound right that the potentially innocent person, who just had their account suspended, need to submit some sort of proof stating that they are innocent? NO! One of this countries greatest judicial ideas is the idea that you are "Innocent until proven guilty." This is the EXACT opposite. Now I do have a question for Comcast on this one, Why would you participate in the opposite fundamental idea from this country? I do like your company and hope that you see this as the wrong decision for both enforcing the piracy issue and your own customers.

I would appreciate a response whether it's what I want to hear or not.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Graduated Response

Comcast is a content owner and they are probably losing business to ppl who download shows rather than subscribe to the channel. If they were just an ISP, I don't believe they would participate in this program as it probably isn't going to go over well with customers. So far Comcast hasn't had much to say about the issue, we'll have to wait and see if they take a heavy handed approach.

Contributor
mny12

More DRM (or whatever the TV version of it is called) will also drive people away. Media needs to strike a balance between price and ease of use. I download music from Amazon because it's inexpensive AND more trustworthy than a Torrent site.

This comic is a great example of most pirating:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Bronze Star Contributor

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Comcast is a content owner and they are probably losing business to ppl who download shows rather than subscribe to the channel. If they were just an ISP, I don't believe they would participate in this program as it probably isn't going to go over well with customers. So far Comcast hasn't had much to say about the issue, we'll have to wait and see if they take a heavy handed approach.

Comcast is NOT implementing this as a content owner, but as an ISP. As a content owner they do not have the power to do so; only as an ISP. And yes: the two positions that Comcast occupies in this instance are separate and distinct and must remain so by law.

Too many "probably" and "don’t believe" qualifiers in your post to consider it useful. Comcast - i.e., the ISP - could indeed have opted out of this program but chose not to do so.

Jim

--
J-Mac
Contributor
mny12

Okay, I will replace his statement with truths:

"Comcast is a content owner and they are losing business to ppl who download shows rather than subscribe to the channel. If they were just an ISP, they would not participate in this program as it absolutely isn't going to go over well with customers. So far Comcast hasn't had much to say about the issue, we'll have to wait and see if they take a heavy handed approach."

NBC/Comcast is both the content owner and ISP....there is no separation

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

You guys recognize that I'm not a Comcast employee right? Hence I can only speculate about Comcast's business plans. Comcast is very business savvy, but no so much in the customer service/public relations department. I understand they want to protect their business, but I don't agree that "graduated response" will be good for the company. It won't stop piracy, but it will make some customers pretty mad.

New Visitor
croddy

This program of collusion by ISPs is an open-and-shut case of conspiracy in restraint of trade under federal law.

If Comcast delivers me correspondence related to this issue I will immediately terminate my account and contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation to report their felony violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act.

There will be only one strike. 

There are many things I can tolerate from an ISP. Federal felonies at my expense are not among them.

Contributor
mario024

[ Edited ]

I dont think this will do anything... look they tried to block people from accessing piratebay, but people still managed to access the site with proxies, people eventually will find a work around of a way to not get the six strike notifications, people will start getting vpns.... so really the mpaa are investing in money  in something that may or may not work in reality... and they talk about hwo they  are losing money....

Contributor
JamesC66

I pay dearly for comcast and have been a customer for a long time. If they continue spying on us I think there should be a class action suit against them and I will definately conclude my contract with them if the continue. Isn't this spying almost like the NSA scandal? Is it legal?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

JamesC66 wrote:

I pay dearly for comcast and have been a customer for a long time. If they continue spying on us I think there should be a class action suit against them and I will definately conclude my contract with them if the continue. Isn't this spying almost like the NSA scandal? Is it legal?

Comcast isn't spying on you. They only contact you if someone reports you for piracy. They do this to protect themselves from liability. It is known as "Safe harbor" under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Every ISP does this.