New Visitor

Modem Rental Fee when I own my modem

[ Edited ]

I need help, myself and 3 other people I work with are having the same problem. We all own our modems and according to the Comcast reps we have talked to, they did a audit and began charging us rental fees. We can't get a supervisor, I have been waiting 3 days for one to call me back. My friend is on the phone now and is being told that they will have to disable the modem while they investigate.

Is anyone else having this problem? If you had this problem how did you resolve it. I have a D3 Motorola modem that I have owned for almost two years.

Thank you!!

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Modem Rental Fee when I own my modem

Hello,

You can try sending a email to the following for help but from what I have read in the forum that there is mix opinions on if they really reply to you.

Send an e-mail to this address

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name

service address

phone number

account number

link to this thread

full details of the problems

New Visitor
keefus16

[ Edited ]

I have owned my Cisco Modem for about 13 years now.  This is my second run with Comcast and for some reason they think they own my modem because they did an audit.  Apparently their audit process is, lets charge everyone who doesn't lease a modem from us a monthly charge of $7.00 and not tell anyone.  I have been on and off the phone with Comcast so called support for 2 days now without any resolution and yet I wait on hold hearing the same thing over and over. "Your call is important to us."  BLAH BLAH BLAH.  On hold now for over 35 minutes and was told that I would have to open an "Investigation report" by going to the local office, then giving them my info off my modem unless I would rather fax in my information to them.  Also keep in mind they want to disable your modem during this time until they can confirm that the modem acutally belongs to you.  Everyone check your bill and make sure you aren't being charged for this nonsense.

New Visitor
SB6141

[ Edited ]

I'm on the phone (On hold) with them right now.

Returned my modem on 8/13. New bill still had the $7.00 rental fee charge on it.

I think I need something for this inconvenience

EDIT: Charge reversed & prorated credit given. Fortunately I hung onto the return receipt for proof of return of the old DOCSIS 2.0 modem. We shouldn't have to call for this especially since my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem was removed from my account. However I did receive excellent customer service for this issue.

New Visitor
swrong

I just had this happen to me and received the same response from them. I was told that I was audited and I asked when I was audited because I kept an email they sent to me when I first inquired about this additional charge. THe "manager" I spoke with told me that they audited my account 2 days after I inquired about it so that was the day I was charged and when I told her that did not make sense then turned it around on me. When I told her that I was going to look into it further and pull up further information she told me don't even bother we aren't going to do anything for you unless you have a receipt. After speaking with someone who knows how to handle them, he said that if you can ask them where you signed up for this modem they need to show proof to you. Because when you pick up your equipment they have you sign off on it and at that point it would show that you had a customer owned modem. Hope this helps.. its super frustrating!

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Your best bet may be Facebook and Twitter. The more people that see your problem the quicker Comcast will try to solve it. (We hope but not always true.) We on this forum are customers just like you. Just help when we can. Comcast takes very little notice (Almost none.) of the forum postings.

New Visitor
gowolves

I had the same problem. I called and they said would open a ticket and a manager would call me back in two weeks at 3:50pm. I'm not holding my breath. I reached out on Twitter today too. We'll see what happens.

New Visitor
meckjc

I had the same issue. I tried calling their customer service. Both the initial CSR and the 'manager' were very rude and basically told me that their audit showed that my modem belonged to Comcast and I was luck they weren't back-charging me for the last year. After I found this forum I decided to try using the on-line chat and ask them to prove to me when I signed up for this modem. Long story short ... I provided them with the s/n of my modem, they checked it against their records, and now they are going to reverse the $8 charge on my bill. I recommend anyone having this issue skip the phone customer service and go straight to the web chat. Comcast should really reconsider the company that they outsourced their phone customer service to.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

If you get no joy through normal channels...

To get help, your best option is to contact Comcast Corporate Customer Service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com). You can also ask for help via Twitter (@ComcastCares), Facebook or the Comcast Direct Forum.

New Visitor
Boogeydog

I have this problem too.  In September 2013, Comcast sent me a letter saying they will start to charge the fee for using their Modem. I called Comcast customer Rep. that I owned my modem more than 5 years since the first day I subscribed Comcast Internet service and I never rented Comcast modem, over the phone, she told me the issue resolved. Now, October 12, 2013, received another letter again for the same thing that Comcast claim that I use their modem and will start to charge me rental fee. I called their cutstomer. Rep again today, the rep told me they need to investigate despite I told him I still keep the receipt (of which I bought the modem from Walmart 5 years ago). Unbelievable the Comcast almost like to rob us to claim something from us.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (inappropriate username). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Contributor
rbheb

I've been dealing with this for two weeks.  They want me to send a receipt for a modem I bought six years ago.  After two weeks of this I finally talk to a guy in the tech department who saw a note from the installation tech stating that the modem was customer owned.  

So they finally removed the rental charge. And then they cancelled my six month package deal two months early.