New Visitor
clellon

Need to dump Comcast/Xfinity

I have been a Comcast customer for many years, but now I must find a new internet service supplier.

In the past month or two, my e-mail works sometimes, my internet has slowed significantly, when I call Comcast for help, they automatically switch me to Xfinity, Xfinity tells me they can help me for $200 (it appears that Comcast and Xfinity are now two separate companies), Bing has taken over as my search engine, and will not let me use Google as my home page, my computer is overrun with pop-ups offering me all manner of goods and services, only to to install numerous programs that I neither want or need and usually can't get rid of.

If anyone has had better service with a company other than Comcast or Xfinity, please let me know

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Need to dump Comcast/Xfinity

clellon wrote:

In the past month or two, my e-mail works sometimes, my internet has slowed significantly, when I call Comcast for help, they automatically switch me to Xfinity, Xfinity tells me they can help me for $200 (it appears that Comcast and Xfinity are now two separate companies),

If you would like help to try to fix the above issues, please post a message detailing the issues in either the Basic Internet Connectivity or Home Networking forums. Someone there would be happy to try to assist.

Bing has taken over as my search engine, and will not let me use Google as my home page, my computer is overrun with pop-ups offering me all manner of goods and services, only to to install numerous programs that I neither want or need and usually can't get rid of.

Unfortunately, the above issues are possibly as a result of your own surfing habits, and the tendency for most people not to pay attention to the 'default' settings when installing such things as toolbars, which are designed to prey on the unwary. These issues are probably not related to Comcast, and will likely happen wherever you decide to obtain internet service from. There are a number of resources on the internet that can help you with removal of malware. Take a look here for some pointers:

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Where-to-Seek-Malware-Removal-Assistance/m-p/88...

---------------------------------------
Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Email Expert
CCCarole

clellon wrote:

I have been a Comcast customer for many years, but now I must find a new internet service supplier.

In the past month or two, my e-mail works sometimes,

What are you using for email?  XfinityConnect, an email client?  Have you ever posted details of your email issues in the Emnail Forum?

my internet has slowed significantly, Which browser are you using?  Did you clear your cache. Run your disk clean-up and disk defrag, try another browser?  You could post also about that issue in the Cojnnectivity and Modem Forum for help when I call Comcast for help, they automatically switch me to Xfinity, Xfinity tells me they can help me for $200  Someone was trying to sell you Signature Support, but that is not youir only options (it appears that Comcast and Xfinity are now two separate companies), They are one in the same company Bing has taken over as my search engine, and will not let me use Google as my home page, You CAN change that, just uninstall Bing from your PC  my computer is overrun with pop-ups offering me all manner of goods and services,   Do you have your pop-up blocker ON?only to to install numerous programs that I neither want or need and usually can't get rid of.

Unless you have a virus or bot on your PC, you should be able to uninstall programs through Add/Remove Programs in the Control panel

If anyone has had better service with a company other than Comcast or Xfinity, please let me know

Your problems are not at all related to Comcast, but things you have done or do with your PC.  If you have connectivity issues, then you should have a Tech out to locate the problem.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
karmalaw

[ Edited ]

my advice:

install firefox as your main browser and the adblock plugin for it.  I don't see any pop-ups unless I authorize them.

install avg (it's free and excellent) as your anti-virus protection

install spybot search and destroy as your anti-malware/spyware protection.

Get a free email address with Gmail (or other provider) that is not isp based so that your email address never changes even if you change ISPs.  Gmail, imo, is a far superior product to the mail clients offered by comcast or to that awful windows based email client called "outlook".

Visitor
HughLatimer1555

ms outlook like most all programs, isn't awful, if you learn how to use it.  Granted some programs are more difficult than others, and users have limited experience with networking, lack of understanding the difference between email client and webmail clients,  little or no knowledge of the TCP/IP stack.

Programs are only awful when a person hasn't learned how they work. Only exception is BSOD, which isn't always API related.

SpyBot S&D is one of those "third party/vendor" programs that have stood the test of time.

Firefox can be just as intimidating as Safari, IE, always a matter of time spent learning the various capacities.

AVG is free, but it's also Czecholosvokian.  I'm not comfortable with a balkan country running my antivirus free or not.  Microsoft has free malware now, and even though they are sometimes the "scourge of the earth" once again it's usually because the user hasn't spent the time to learn why.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download