Contributor
PrincessMs

Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement.

anyone ever recieved an email about this????

i have no clue what they are talking about!!!

-------------------------------------------

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number:      NA0000061130990
Report Date/Time:           Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:53:13 -0600

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service').  The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works.  The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below.  Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Customer Security Assurance
        Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
        1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing
        Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.
        Phone: (888) 565-4329
        Fax: (856) 324-2940

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Infringing Work : MAGIC
Filename : Future - Pluto [2012] CR=20
Filename : Future - Pluto [2012] CR=20
First found (UTC): 2013-02-17T15:11:40.51Z
Last found (UTC): 2013-02-17T15:12:19.79Z
Filesize  : 109133203 bytes=20
IP Address: XXXXXXXXXXX
IP Port: XXXXXX
Network: BitTorrent
Protocol: BitTorrent    =20

Recognized Contributor

Re: Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement.

[ Edited ]

First, I would contact Comcast Security and verify it is legit. The Comcast Security direct number is 888-565-4329. This was given to me by a security agent I spoke to regarding another security issue I had. Several things jump out at me and make me suspicious. I would think something of that magnitude they would notify you by USPS certified mail to make sure you receive the notice. Call them directly. Another thing, to my knowledge, I never knew Comcast had offices at that address given. Their corporate headquarters are in Philadelphia.

Contributor
PrincessMs

thank you for the number and info.

i will contact ASAP and find out what this is about.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

It's just what it says it is. Comcast is letting you know that the copyright holder claims you downloaded their property. It looks like music downloaded via Bit Torrent.

DMCA Title II, the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act ("OCILLA"), creates a safe harbor for online service providers (OSPs, including ISPs) against copyright infringement liability, provided they meet specific requirements. They aren't accusing you of anything, just telling you that someone has notified Comcast that you infringed on their rights. By doing this, they can't be sued by the copyright holder.

If you are 100% sure you or someone in your household didn't download the item, then you'll want to double check that your network is secure and that none of the machines on your network are compromised. Change your network passwords, run multiple malware programs, do a deep scan and or a boot time scan with your anti-virus etc.

Getting legal advice from a cable guy on the internet is probably not in your best interest, if you are deeply concerned about the legal ramifications, you should contact an attorney. This is not legal advice, just information. With that said:

Most ppl simply ignore the notices. It's extremely unlikely that the copyright holder will take any legal action whatsoever.

You can file a counter notification with Comcast's designated agent if you so choose:

J. Opperman & M. Moleski/DMCA Notifications
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
1800 Bishops Gate Drive
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.
Phone: 888.565.4329
Fax: 856.324.2940
Email: dmca@comcast.net

All counter notifications must satisfy the requirements of Section 512(g)(3) of the U.S. Copyright Act. (See this letter)

Recognized Contributor

My concern here is why do they send something that can have legal ramifications by email. How can they prove you got the email? Just because it arrived at your email box doesn't mean you read it. Second that leaves open the door to a lot of scammers abusing that kind of letter to obtain information. To layman me it just doesn't make any logical common sense or legal sense to me.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

It does not make sense. Ignore it.

Connection Expert
EG

barbie123 wrote:

It does not make sense. Ignore it.

I couldn't disagree more ! Nerd's post is spot on !!!

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Legal documents are not issued via e-mail. Nerd said "most people ignore it". That's what I would do.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is my point exactly. Legal documents are never delivered via email. I think it is more of a scare tactic then anything else. I think they would be hard pressed to have it stand up in court.