New Visitor

Power Surge destroyed electronics!

Background Info....

A few months ago I added voice to my service, when the technician came there was some kind of problem with the signal and he was at my house for an hour just waiting for someone to tell him how to fix the problem. Finally his supervisor told him that he had a solution and that he (the supervisor) would come the next day to fix the problem.

I still don't understand what the problem was because the tech's supervisor never came. All I know is that the people the tech's call when setting up said something was too high. I didn't know what was wrong all I knew is that my bill was lower because I added voice and everything was working great.

A month ago I was watching the news and a storm hit. The TV went black and came back real quick but the picture was fuzzy. I thought that this was just a normal service interruption because of the storm but when I checked upstairs the picture was clear. The cable box is connected to the tv through an HDMI port and when we were trying to find out why the picture was fuzzy we switched HDMI cables around and found out that the HDMI port in the TV that the cable box was hooked up to was the problem. The cable box was also showing the wrong time.

The next day I called comcast and they reset the box our conclusion was that the problem was caused by a power surge through the cable wire into the cable box and then the TV. My TV is still under warranty so I had the TV repaired at no cost because the warranty covers power surges.

Now the big problem...

On Thursday (my wedding day) I came home to find that my cable box would not turn on. There had been a bad storm that day but my power was on. After not being able to get the box to turn on I checked the box in my bedroom. The box upstairs came on and we had cable service. I then brought that box downstairs to try to figure out if the problem was the power cord. The box from upstairs turned on with all the same wires from downstairs but there was no picture. We switched HDMI ports like last time and still nothing.

We thought this was strange so we decided to check to see if the other stuff connected to the tv worked.... The PS3 would not turn on at all, The xbox 360 had no picture, and finally the biggest shock of them all ... Our $2,000 computer had no display on both the tv and the monitor. We also tried connecting the computer to a different monitor with a brand new cord and nothing!!!

I had an electrician come out the next morning because in my panic I did not realize that this problem was isolated and not with the whole house, The electrician found nothing wrong with my electricity and said that if it came through the house it would have effected the whole house plus I have everything plugged into surge protectors so he said it was possible that it came thought the cable wire.

I now have a broken TV, cable box, PS3, XBOX 360, and Alienware desktop computer w/ monitor and I blame Comcast because this was not a one time fluke .. This was a problem they saw coming and did nothing (including explaining what could happen) to prevent the destruction of my electronics (which I don't have the money to fix and replace)

I have a tech coming tomorrow but chances are he will be leaving with all my comcast equipment and I will never refer anyone to comcast and my neighbors have been warned and they are worried about their TV's now too

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Power Surge destroyed electronics!

[ Edited ]

There is no way a power surge through your cable would destroy all that equipment.  Don't you have insurance?  they would pay for all that minus the deductible.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I have to agree with Rog, it seems very unlikely that the a surge on the coax ran through the cable box, into your HDMI cable, through your TV and then off to your XBox. You might have a case if Comcast did not properly install the ground block tho. See if you can find the ground block on the side of your house or in the basement -it looks kind of like a connector with a thick green wire coming out of it. If you find it, take a picture of it and what is connected to and post pls.

As a side note, you'll want your electronics to be plugged into an UPS with a line conditioner, it's your best defense against surges and brownouts.

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

nm