New Visitor
novaanne

Service Tech Confirmation Calls----you have got to be kidding me

I was supposed to have a tech come to my house today between 4-6pm.  At 4:15 I noticed I had missed 3 calls from you trying to confirm my appointment.  I called Comcast customer service line at 4:15 and was told that they would not be sending out a tech today and that I needed to reschedule.  I am very angry at this situation.  I took time out of my life to be sure to be here on time.  When I make an appointment I am sure to be there on time.  If I cannot make it, I call and cancel.  Canceling my appointment beacuse I couldnt get to the phone within a 45 minute time frame is unacceptable.  I have had to reschedule for tomorrow and due to my work, and my drive time to get here in time for my new appointment, I may miss their call again.  Not to mention I will have to leave work early to get here on time.  I cannot believe that a company the size of Comcast cannot find a way to accomidate their working customers.  The customer service employee said she checked with a supervisor but wouldnt transfer me to talk to them myself.  I finally had to agree to a new appointment, one that they may cancel AGAIN if cant take time from work, or use my phone while driving, to answer their call.  This situation is highly inconsiderate to their customers. 

Terrible customer service.  What a joke.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Service Tech Confirmation Calls----you have got to be kidding me

As a former tech that wasted hours a day driving around to not-at-home appointments, I respectfully disagree. The policy maximizes the tech's time which ultimately provides customers with better service.

New Visitor
robinp99

I have to agree to a point, I just sat home all day waiting for a 3-5 PM appointment. At 2:30 I recieved a call from Comcast, I answered, got a greeting message, but was then disconnected !!  At 3:05 I recieved another call, got the greeting and was promptly disconnected. At 3:15 PM I got another call, with the same greeting, then informing me that my service call was cancelled. WHAT? I called Comcast and was informed that because I did not answer their question (you know, the question I never was asked) my service call was cancelled. The represenative was unable to re-add it to the schedule as the process is 'automated". One would think that if you use an 'automated' call system to contact your customers that the system actually worked properly. The rep told me I should have called Comcast to confirm I was home. Excuse Me? It's my faultIf comcast would just be honest with their customers and say they were behind schedule or were too busy or whatever, maybe they wouldn't have the terrible reputation, but don't blame your customers.

Rather than all this 'automated' hocus-pocus, why not have the repairperson call their next appointment? Direct TV does this or it that just too complicated for Comcast?

New Visitor
MrsKS

I 100% agree the customer service for techs could be much better.  I received 2 automated calls the day before and 30 minutes before my appointment.   I answered and confirmed both.  Then during my appointment time I took out the trash - thinking that would be okay to walk out front by the driveway - I missed a phone call from the tech saying he is in my edition but doesn't have my house number.   Seriously?! You have my street address, my edition, my phone number, but no house number?  I called him back but he doesn't answer and Comcast tells me he is stuck in traffic.  Who do I believe?!  Now I'm told to sit here for another 30 minutes to see if he will call.   As for the tech that was being  paid to go to paying customers homes, I don't see the problem.   After 2 confirmations by customers then there is a darn good chance the paying customer will be there to get the broken equipment fixed.   At least the tech is making money, while the rest of us our losing money being at their unfair mercy.

New Visitor
MrsKS

Update to my bad tech experience.   I called Comcast numerous time because they kept saying the tech was coming.  First I was told that he was stuck in traffic, then I was told he tried to arrive but didn't have a code to get in the gate. Really?  The gate that isn't closed?   This is all in addition to the message where he said he didn't have my house number but he was in my edition.  Seems like this tech is full of *&%^ and just didn't show up for his job this morning.  I have asked my case be escalated and hopefully they will implement random drug testing to get rid of the losers that don't want to work. 

New Visitor
novaanne

I can understand that there are people who don't keep appointments, and I appreciate Comcsast's 2 hour window.  My issue is their way of confirmation.  Just because there are some bad customers out there does not mean that those of us who take time off of work, UNPAID, to be there AS WE AGREED should be punished.  Im am only asking that Comcast find another way to confirm appointments.  I had to take more time off to be there for the Tech the next day.  Makes me look bad with my employer to be out like that. 

I have complained every way possible with Comcast.  On the website and via the phone, with no response from anyone.  I would have at least liked an apology and for someone to tell me they will look into it.  I can't be the only one with this complaint. 

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Our policy for technicians canceling appointments due to a no answer is that we will call 3 times. 

If we call 3 times without an answer then the appointment will need to be rescheduled.

There is a balance we strive for, we dont want to be wasting time going out to houses where no one is home, we could use that time to help other customers who are home waiting for our tech to arrive.  We are always working on improving our technician appointments because it is inconvient for customers to wait at home for a tech to arrive.  Our 2 hour appointment window instead of a 4 hour window is part of the improvement process.  The 3 call policy is another part of the improvement because it is much harder to miss 3 calls than a single call.

The best thing you can do, is to make sure the telephone number on your account is the number you want our tech to call when they are scheduled.  The phone agent should ask for that number when they schedule it, and we are working on making sure we are better at asking.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

About those telephone numbers: sometimes making sure they have a number you can be reached at doesn't work. 

This is my favorite excuse as to why the tech canceled.

A customer calls Comcast using a cell phone. Customers says "my CDV is not working". Tech gets scheduled. Customer is told tech will call. Customer gives an alternate number he/she can be reached at. This is usually a cell phone number. Agent repeats the number and states "tech will call you at this number".

Customer sits around waiting for Comcast tech to arrive during the time window. Tech is a no show.

Customer calls Comcast to ask why tech did not show up.

Agent says "you didn't answer the phone when we called to confirm, you did not answer when the tech called you".

After some discussing of the situation customer finds out that EVERYONE at Comcast had been calling the NON-WORKING phone number.

HELLO COMCAST, if the phone worked people would not need the tech. There is a reason WHY alternate numbers are given to you.

In this case the phone number associated with the account isn't worth a plug nickel if the phone service does not work.

I've also seen posts by people who said they called from a neighbor's phone because they don't have a cell phone and reported Comcast phone service was not working.  They were told it would be a "door knock" since there was no way for the tech to contact them-this would be noted on the work order.

Like the customer who was not called on the cell phone, these people waited around for a tech who didn't show. Once again using a neighbor's phone they call Comcast to find out what happened, only to be told YOU DID NOT ANSWER YOUR PHONE WHEN THE TECH CALLED TO MAKE SURE YOU WERE HOME. BECAUSE YOU DID NOT ANSWER THE TECH CANCELED.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

If Comcast wants to gain any respect as a reliable phone service provider, then they need to abandon the call-to-confirm ploicy whenever a digital voice issue is involved.

Also, any response time for a phone issue beyond 24 hours is unacceptable.

Any telco that I have ever had service with always responded to problems within 24 hours for all but major catastrophe issues.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Official Employee
ComcastNick

The policy for technician visits when the phone service is not working, is to never cancel the appointment due to a no answer on the call ahead.  Our technicians should still call the number listed on the account because it might be a cell phone, but with no answer they should always be going out to the house and knocking on the door.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I once asked a previous forum administrator about no working phone and was told policy is to do a "door knock".

Someone needs to let the techs know about the policy.

If they did follow the policy there would be no "they called the non-working number and the appointment was canceled because I didn't answer" complaints.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
mc586

Appoinments are always rolled on if the customers phone service is not working.  At least in my area it is.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

mc586 wrote:

Appoinments are always rolled on if the customers phone service is not working.  At least in my area it is.

That is the way it's supposed to be. Unfortunately for many people that does not happen.

New Visitor
striboli

Comcast's automated service cancelled my appointment twice today!!  I was home, picked up the phone, Comcast calling - the automated message said "press 2 to cancel your appointment" but gave me no option to confirm.  Perhaps the message began in the middle. 

The automated system called back again a couple of hours later.  Same thing . .. . .  The next thing was a message that my appointment had been cancelled because they could not reach me.  What?!!  Their automated message reached me at home, waiting for them to show up!  I even picked up the phone, but there was no option for me to talk . . .  or connect to a real person! 

I called Comcast back re-scheduled the appointment for later the same day.  But a few minutes later got another automated call saying my appointment had been cancelled . . . .

Again I called Comcast but they could not send anyone out again today. I am beyond frustrated.  What do you have to do to get service??

And I only needed a service call because despite 4 attempts and 4 or 5 phone calls yesterday, my DTA would not connect properly.  This is a piece of equipment I do not want, but apparently will need to continue to receive cable as Comcast "upgrades" their service to digital. 

It is actually a downgrade in service as the remote that comes with the new equipment does not skip the channels that you are not subscribed to . . . .instead you have to channel up or down one by one.

New Visitor
striboli

My more complete message is below or above. 

Your policy of calling 3 times is fine so long as the automated call recognizes a voice.  I got 3 calls, answered them all, but still had 2 appointments cancelled.

Your system is just not working!

Contributor
poodlemom1

I was to have a tech come to my home between 10 and 12pm.  that morning I had to take my dog to potty and went outside at 8:30 for a short walk.  I felt I had until at least 9:30.  I got back in at 9:15 and saw that there was a hangup call on my anwsering machine. I looked on my caller ID to see that it was comcast. the time of the call was 9am.  this is an hour from my appointment time.  You know the rest of the story.. I am now waiting for them to show between 3 and 5 ( we'll see)   the problem would be solved If I had known that someone was calling an hour before my appointment time I would have been in to answer my phone. But they do not tell you, or at least they did not tell me, that they were going to call and if so when that call would be.  If I had just known than I would have not waisted my day, as I do have a life other than waiting for the comcast tech.. also I call camcast as soon as I saw that they had called to tell them I was in fact home , that call was made at as soon as I figured it out at 9:15 or just after. but well before 10am.  they told me all was well and I was still up for the tech to show at or between 10 and 12.  No such luck I also spent over 30 minutes trying to get someone to tell me "WHY" and when!!!!   

Contributor
poodlemom1

And I just hate calling them as it is such a painful process to get someone to actually talk too.  I feel you pain and wish that comcast cared.

Contributor
poodlemom1

Are you kidding yourself, cause your not fooling me.  I never recieved 3 calls just ONE (1) that was a hangup on my aswering machine an hour before my appointment time.  I looked on my caller ID to see who it was, I then call your office and the comcast employee said it all looked good and they would be coming out as agreed.

but they did not!!!!  so here i set waiting for the 3 to 5pm to see what tricks they have to get out of this appoinment.

Contributor
poodlemom1

maybe you need to train your tech better!!  Ya think?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

poodlemom, sign in to My Account as the PRIMARY Comcast user account holder.

Click the Billing & Payments tab.

Look to the right under Account Profile for Service Appointments. If you see one listed there should be a clickable link. Click the link, take a screenshot of it and save it to your computer.

If you don't see any appointments listed it's likely that it was not scheduled after you were told it would be.

Contributor
poodlemom1

thanks I'll check int that.  I just call to get the 20.00$ credit for the guarantee  and the recording said I had an appointment for tomorrow morning .  when I finally got a human to talk to they said I have 2 appoinments one for this afternoon and one for tomorrow. I guess we will see which one will be the real appoinment.  

New Visitor
MintMouse

The way I see it Comcast should pay me $200.00 for thier missed appointment.

I had to use a day of vacation,  The appointment time was 0800-2200 (8:00am till 10:00pm!!!)  A 14 hour window!  I am in the military and work 12 hour days already.  I called at noon and again at 3:00pm, and again at 8:30pm.   All said they would be there by 10:00pm.   At 10:00pm  I called and they said they called 3 times, I did not answer, and they re-scheduled the appointment for 2 weeks from now.  

I Had my phone with me the whole 14 hours, no missed calls no voice mail.  I gave them my google voice phone number, which logs every incoming call, even missed ones.  No calls.  So they lied about calling me at all.  

$200.00 is approxemently what I make for 1 day of work, that is at least what they should credit me for making me use a day of vacation, and waisting that day.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

MintMouse

Just to ask but is the phone number you gave them the same number listed as the primary number on your account? I think Comcast has too many layers from the national number taking the service appointment to the local tech getting the appointment and the local tech doesn't see the alternate number because Comcast doesn't allow them to see it or something.

Anyway try this route and see if they can do something to help reschedule faster

Send an e-mail to this address

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name

service address

phone number

account number

link to this thread

full details of the problems

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

MintMouse, giving an alternate phone number rarely works. For whatever reason the techs call the number associated with the account and not the alternate.

About that all day appointment window

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/evolution-cable-television#sec11

"Cable operators may schedule appointments for installations and other service calls either at a specific time or, at a maximum, during a four-hour time block during normal business hours."

New Visitor
MintMouse

The primary number on my account is my cell, that i had with me all day.  

the alt number is my google voice.

New Visitor
Murphy-7

Spoiler
Yesterday had a confirmed technician appointment for between 2-4pm.  I was here until 7:30.  Never left the house and it is a small house where I can see if anyone comes to the residence.  No technician, no phone call to let me know one way or another that the technician would not come or be late.  Just a no show.  It was up to me to call and set up a new appointment.
New Visitor
MoabJeep

I had the very same experience yesterday. In fact, I received my final confirmation automation attempt at 2:59, so I call Comcast and the system says my appointment is cancelled, so I speak to a representative (at an outsourced Convergys call center in Manilla, Philippines, at 3:02 who tells me that the technician will still be there. Obviously, that was a lie as I am posting here. Canceled after 2 minutes? Come on Comcast, my problem isn't even inside my house, the cable wires are scraping my garage roof and I'm sure are the source of all my TV reception issues. At 5:00, I call "customer loyalty" (cancelations), which, apparently is the only way to get a native English speaking person these days. I Get my $20 Comcast guarantee credit. I'm irate and ask to cancel after more than 20 years as a customer, they say they can get me a same day appointment, but instead, while on hold, I get blindly transferred to Manilla again. No appointments until Friday during the time when the issue occurs. DirectTV will be here later today and I can forever wash my hands of Comcast.
Administrator
ComcastLarry

MoabJeep-

I apologize we weren't able to keep our appointment. Can you please send me your acct. number in a PM.

PrivateMessages (PMs)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-