New Visitor
bclark11
Accepted Solution

TURNED IN TO A COLLECTIONS AGENCY FOR EQUIPMENT I DO NOT HAVE!!!!!

I am so frustrated and done with Comcast.

In November of last year, my wife and I moved to a new condo.  Before the move we decided to step down from two DVR's to one DVR.  We were having issues with our internet connection at the same time (another issue that was never resolved after several visits from tech's and equipment changes) so I just turned in the extra DVR to the tech when he was in our home working on the internet issue.  When we got settled in to the new place and received our first bill at the new address we were still charged for 2 DVR's... so I called customer service and had the charges removed... apparently, the tech that took the box logged it incorrectly or misplaced it and I didn't have the receipt to show that I turned it in...it took some arguing to get it done but the rep reassured me that the issue had been resolved and would not be a problem going forward... this happed 3 months in a row.  By the 3rd month I was completely fed up and asked to escalate the issue to a supervisor... the supervisor assured me that the issue would be taken care of and I wouldn't be charged again.  So its been a couple months since that was resolved and I have not been charged for the extra DVR.

So... everything’s great… right? NO!

This week, both my wife and I started receiving calls from a collection agency!  Some company called "Complete Recovery Corporation" (CRC) has been calling and emailing me saying that I have a DVR in my possession that belongs to Comcast and I need to either turn it in or pay $430.00 for the box!!!!!!!!!  I couldn't believe it.  I called the collection agency and told them what is going on; they were very nice and understanding.  The rep put a hold on the ticket for a couple weeks so that I could get it straightened out with Comcast and not receive calls every day from CRC.  I called Comcast and let the Rep have it...  he was of absolutely no help.  Said that "their system automatically sends contact information to the collection company if the equipment is determined to be inactive for a period of time" and that "they would not be able to remove my ticket at the collection agency until the equipment was located".

So let me get this right... I turned in the DVR to YOUR tech, he misplaced it, and now I am stuck dealing with a collection agency and facing a $430 charge or a possible bruise on my credit?  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

ITS YOUR FAULT! I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR “PROCESS”! REMOVE MY TICKET WITH THE COLLECTION AGENCY, CLOSE MY ACCOUNT, AND THEN LOOK FOR THE BOX!

What if the box is never located?  What if the tech quit his job and kept the DVR for himself?  Am I going to have to pay $430 for the box?

I have been a customer with Comcast for a long time now and have looked past SOOOOOO much BS that has happened but this is the last straw.  I am done with Comcast.  I would rather use rabbit ears and watch PBS all day long than send another penny of my money to this company.  What happened to customer service?  What happened to taking care of your clients?  If I treated my clients this way I would be out of business in a week.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: TURNED IN TO A COLLECTIONS AGENCY FOR EQUIPMENT I DO NOT HAVE!!!!!

Try sending an email here.

To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post

Email Expert
CCCarole

I have notified the Administrator of your post.  Watch for a reply please.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

New Visitor
bclark11

no reply yet...

New Visitor
bclark11

I did send an email to that address... 2 individuals picked up the email (Elisa Stagliano and Melissa Mendoza).  I got read receipts back from both of them.  However, no actual response yet.

New Visitor
bclark11

That sounds about right.  When we first signed up for service with Comcast over a year ago it was with a Comcast salesman at Walmart.  He had a table set up in the electronics section and was signing people up for service.  For signing up that day, we were promised a "gift" and a $75 gift card to Walmart.  He gave us the gift (a piece of HBO branded Tupperware) and promised that the giftcard would be sent via mail to our address in a few weeks.  We never received the gift card.  I called about it several times and got the same run-around “I do not know who handles promotions sir but I will make a note in your account and look in to it for you”.  I also had several "supervisors" promise that they would look in to it.  It’s been well over a year now and no card, never even got a call back.  Seems to me like the old bait and switch routine.  

Dealing with Comcast is worse than dealing with the Government.  No one has any authority to do anything.  

New Visitor
janakarloz

This is totally unfair, ridiculous, disrespectful with loyal costumer. The same thing is happening with me and im amazed how comcast don't care about their customer. They keep telling me that i have a balance off $250 because equipment wasn't returned that's a LIE! I returned the equipment almost a year ago and they just cut my cable off when my monthly payment off $37 are current. Im totally disappointed, i have been calling comcast and they keep transferring me to a different department.
Email Expert
CCCarole

Send an email to the We Can Help Team.

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name
service address
phone number
account number
link to this thread
full details of the problems

You can also ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Just a reminder. When you return Comcast equipment. Get a receipt,keep in a safe place for a LONG time. 

New Visitor
arir

Re: TURNED IN TO COLLECTIONS FOR EQUIPMENT I DO NOT HAVE!!!!!

August 2012 I returned all equipment and paid the remaining balance of $11.53.  When I left the Comcast office where I returned the equipment my sttement balance was ZERO and there was no payment due on my account.

Nine months later I am harassed by Comcast in regard to a router in which I never received.  Comcast was aware that the router was never received after it was ordered and has been unable to furnish any signature or documents from the shipping company stating otherwise.

Unless Comcast can provide my signature for receipt of a router, I am formally requesting that Comcast acknowledge this and stop harassing me to pay for an item that I never received.  If this gets to my credit report I will contact the Federal Trade Commission regarding the Fair Credit Billing Act, BBB, and Consumer Protection agency?  Shame on you Comcast, adjust my account accordingly now.

Contributor
nguyenvanh

I just recived a similar message and this is my response to them:

Dear Comcast Customer Service and Steven James of Completerecoveryservice,

I am in shock to receive this type of collection email.  As a long time loyal Comcast customer, I have been paying my bills on time.  I recently cancelled my TV service because my wife is traveling to Japan and she is the only one that usually watched TV.  I returned the 2 cable boxes last months with remotes and I had receipts (thank God).  However, that router that you mentioned was never in my possession.  I used my own modem and an old D-link router which worked out fine for me.  When I first signed up for the internet service, you did provided me with a modem and a router but I decided that it is best to buy my own to avoid the monthly rental charge and I did return all the equipment after I purchased my own.  But since then, I have discarded the receipt probably 2-3 years ago.  You have no legal rights at all to demand a charge after that long time.  If you want to sue me in court, do it, and I will be glad to see you in court to recover your petty $20 for an old router.  But as of now, I am extremely upset and disappointed in these kinds of outrageous mistakes that Comcast has giving me after all these 3 years that I been with you I am so satisfied until now. 

Either you take this "Steven James" off my back or I cancel my internet service and will not activate my TV service after my wife is back from Japan.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.  You just cost me 1 hour typing this letter which equaled to $40/hour if considering how much I make in real life.  

Best regards,

Contributor
nguyenvanh

I am still upset so just replying to my thread ... Now I am thinking unless they give me a free month to apologize to me, I will cancel Comcast service alll together.  Shopping for new provider this weekend.  Anyone has any suggestion on new provider?  Thanks in advance.  I am in the San Jose/Milpitas area in California.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

nguyenvanh

There are usually few to no Comcast employees reading these forums on the weekend. Billing and Customer Service Reps never read the forums. If you sent your first message via email then it will work it's way through the system.

I would recommend contacting Comcast this way instead

Send an e-mail to this address

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name

service address

phone number

account number

link to this thread

full details of the problems

It will not get you a direct email response. The team that gets this will send this to someone local or regional, not the normal first line people either, and that person should contact you back. If you have a local office nearby also and have the receipts for the router and modem you own I would take copies of those receipts down there. Comcast doesn't make it easy.

And you are not the first one to get this. It seems every time a customer makes a change your owned equipment gets flagged as their's due to the change of service order and their software thiinks that if you have Internet service and the software sees no modem rental fee that it is a mistake and your equipment gets added to their inventory. Or human error when the change is made and the human won't admit they messed up.

Contributor
nguyenvanh

Thank you Commanguy.  I hope that is not what Comcast is doing (that is scanning everyone's equipment after they cancelled service and any equipment serial # pop up in their system is considered their).  I bought my modem through ebay and the router at Fry's.  This is not simply an act of harrassing customers but if that is the case, then it is also illegal and if I can prove that the person who is in charged of hiring the harrassing Steven James should also be reaponsible and could be sued for asking something from customers that does not belong to Comcast.  Unfortunately, court costs money and for simple things like this most of us will generally ignore after a period of time and some actually want to avoid the headache and simply pay the charges.  I will not.  I will not only cancel my service when Monday comes, but also will write to my Congressman and the FCC to investigate into this illegal business practice.  The person who is in charge of initiating this kind of "routine check" should be fired, simply because that person is just responsible big time for losing a loyal cusomer for the last 3 years and $150/month coming to Comcast business and perhaps many more to come because of this kind of mistakes (trying to recover an old router that may be cost not even $20 in market now - considering if they want to recover the router that they gave me 3 years ago).  By the way, that router I remembered was giving me so weak signal and easily heating up that I at the time had to spend money to buy my own D-link router which still work great for me.  I am sure many of you have remembered that very old router.  I am thinking of switching to ATT Uverse.

Regular Contributor

To OP:   FYI

I was told by a Comcast rep that they no longer wanted back the Netgear router I was given a few years ago.

Contributor
nguyenvanh

Thanks for pointing out that they do not want the old router back .. but the POINT IS .. IT THEY WANT ME TO RETURN AN EQUIPMENT AFTER 2-3 YEARS .... THAT THEY NEVER CHARGED ME FOR MONTHLY RENTAL FEE (which meant I owned my own equipment all these times).  I am in total control of my situation and Comcast is better apologize to me soon or I will send only letters to my Congressman, but also the radio stations, Mercury News, and of course the legal governemnent agencies who will investigatte this matter.   This is an illlegal business practice tryng to exploit the "name" of customers who looks like they dont understand English and trying to force them into paying for something they dont really owed (remember my name ended with Nguyen which is Vietnamese).

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

nguyenvanh,

Keep a sharp eye on your credit report.  IF an account goes to a collection agency, it is a double-ding on the credit report:  the original company and then a collections ding.  Generally, if one tries to get service with similiar company (e.g. cable TV, internet, phone) that company is likely to require a deposit because of those credit report dings.

Not fair but (centuries ago) I was a credit analyst for a cellular provider.  Things haven't changed.
Good luck.

commanguy

tbill1

I would not trust a Comcast rep telling me that they no longer want a device they supplied and charged rent for usage.

Unless they give a written statement to that effect I would still give them the device back and let them deal with it. It is less hassle for some front desk person to get out of their chair and put the device in whatever container they use for returning it to the warehouse.

Since the outcome of not returning that device could be a hit on a person's credit rating, a account in collections, and all the hassle of that it is not worth it. The Comcast people get paid to do a job even if it is manning the front desk at a service center. That would include accepting returned COMCAST rental equipment, taking if off a customers account correctly, and putting the equipment back into Comcast's equipment system or recycling. If they are getting that lazy then Comcast executives need to change their systems to handle lazy employees.

Regular Contributor

Hi Commanguy,

The Netgear router was free, never was charged to rent a router.  They even had a tech line that fed into Netgear that we could use without being charged for help.   That ended very quickly.  I'm  still using it to this day.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

tbill1

Then your case is different. But the OP did not mention a router to the best of my knowledge. Someone else that got on this thread did.

But I don't think Comcast just gives out routers anymore. They don't even supply backup batteries with phone modems anymore either.

So each case is different.

Regular Contributor

My error.  It was arir who mentioned a router.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

That is what happens when there are multiple posters with different problems. No problem

Gets diced confusing at times when that happens.

Contributor
nguyenvanh

Just an update on what happened:

I called Complete Recovery Collection agency and noone answered the phone.  No option to leave a message either.  I then called Comcast, after talking to a Billing rep, she talked to a supervisor, opened a ticket #016965727 and then told me to wait until 8/12/13 for someone to call me at home to "search" my equipment.  I told her that I am not going to waste time waiting for that long and take time off from work for just minor issue like this.  So, she transferred me to Mary - Customer Relation Team.  I told her that I can even offer Comcast a great deal by giving them the Cisco Linkys Wireless-N Gigabit Router-WRT310N for free (the one that I actually bought) and they can just send me a pre-paid box so I can send it to them for free.  By the way, this one selling on ebay for $14 bucks right now.  She said they will do a search of that equipment again on the warehouse and will call me back within 24 hours.  I also asked her how much Comcast will charge me if they dont find the equipment and she declined to answer.  Mary was  a nice rep, she listned well.  Because of her, I will wait a while before cancelling Comcast service.  But darn, after 3 years, I just realized that they charged me $65 for the same level of speed comparing to ATT plan of $45 (with 1st year of $30).  So, I could easily switch and get some savings as well but I told Mary that I will wait for how this issue is resolved, otherwise, man Comcast made big mistakes for trying to recover an old router that cost $14 to lose a customer who could bring them $150/month for many years to come.  

Contributor
nguyenvanh

Update: 

Just received a call from Bobby (executive office).  He told me that they will contact the collection agency and have the charge removed.  I thanked him and so this issue is closed.  I will stay with Comcast for now since I am too busy to switch service but anyway, lession learnt, especially when it could affect your credit ratings - Save your receipts with Comcast together with your tax returns.  Overall, except for the annoying collection agency, Comcast customer service department is doing a good job of keeping me.  Kudos to them!.

New Visitor
flashpowered

nguyenvanh:  Could you please give me "Bobby's" number?

I have pretty much the same issue.  What a ridiculous company and extemely bad customer service.  This is how they treat long-time good-paying customers?  No attempt whatsoever to try and contact me - just sent it right to collections.  Equipment WAS returned promptly, and I have the UPS receipt to prove it.  I really don't know how they manage to stay in business.  90% of my interaction with Comcast is an extreme hassle, and forum anecdotes confirm I'm not the only one.   GET IT TOGETHER COMCAST, if you intend to keep the monopoly at least act like you care a little and manage this sh*t better.

Contributor
micki_smith

Comcast has been charging me for unreturned boxes (which I did return) for 1 year and 11 months.  They said if they stop charging me $7 a month, they will charge me $500 for the box because they can't find it in their inventory. 

They are useless idiots at customer service. 

Contributor
micki_smith

That's very helpful to someone who doesn't have a receipt. (not)