New Visitor
Kensings23

Too expensive

Hi

I am new to this forum.  I think the pricing for cable only is ridiculous.  Just becasue I don't need Internet or a land-mine phone, I have to pay as if I did.  Called comcast customer service and that were no help at all, and basically said, "Oh well". Does anyone else feel this way?  If so, we need to have multiple  people complain and maybe Comcast will look at this.

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Too expensive

comcast has over 20 million subscribers, yes the service is expensive if you have no competition.  everyone complains about the price already.  If you think your service is too high call comcast and ask for retention, tell them what you want to pay and see what they can do for you.

Email Expert
madylarian

rog286713 wrote:

comcast has over 20 million subscribers, yes the service is expensive if you have no competition.

Ya know, rog ol buddy, I hate to break it to you but with FIOS, Dish and DirecTV at my doorstep my internet and TV cost the same as where FIOS fears to tread.  Change the record please.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Contributor
cyberhmoob

That's why you get Hulu, Netflix combo with just the Internet. Still almost the same price BUT More BANG for the buck plus you can watch anything at anytime and not have to pay for on demands and stuff like that.

Truth is that Comcast has absolutely no competition right now and the best around here besides them is DSL which is only 5 mb down and 640k up. Thre's Clearwire but that's got enough Latency issues to make you wanna go hang yourself if you're a gamer.

Basically we are being held captive by the darkside at the moment.

New Visitor
Kensings23

Comcast is going to loose many, many customers. WE know it is expensive enough with out it being shoved in our face to hear Comcast is charging such high prices because they CAN. I think Comcast is under estimating people and they will seek out different cable companies, and yes they are out there signing up with these "other" companies already,  Comcast can boast it's 20 million customer base, but be aware "Successful" companies can go under like so many others have,  Benigans, Bally Fitness, Caterpillar, Sprint and even Dell out selling IBM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Comcast needs to offer more simple packages! Dot the end.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I cancelled my TV service long ago, and just have internet service.  I just don't see myself paying almost $100 a month more just to sit and stare in front of the tv.  Especially when you can usually see the exact same content online anyway.

My promotional rate was somewhere around $100 / month for tv plus internet.  When it expired, they were trying to charge me over $170 a month.  I called and they offered something around $135.  That's still WAY to high, so I turned it off.  The jackass in the "retention" department couldn't care less if they were going to lose a customer, and he told me so.  He told me that there's somebody else having this same conversation with some other company, and they would be switching to Comcast, so losing me wasn't going to matter.  

And then I have to laugh at these new commercials about their customer guarantee ... which is completely geared only to the new customers.  The long-time loyal customers get no guarantee and have to pay more money.  What a joke. 

And then there's all of the hidden fees they add on.  For example, maybe a certain pricing package is $39.99 / month.  You want a DVR?  That's extra.  HD?  That's extra for the HD pricing tier.  And that requires a special HD-DVR, which is even more.  Plus they add on all of the taxes and fees that they don't tell you about.  Next thing you know, that $39.99 turned into $70 or $80.  Oh, but you get some premium channel for free for 3 months!  (But if you don't call to cancel those channels after 3 months, they start charging you for them with no notice or reminder.)  And... keep in mind, all of this is a "promotional price" which will probably double after the promotion period ends.  And you can't get that price back unless you're a new customer, so you'll be spending a significantly higher price no matter what.

It's a complete rip-off and I don't see why people pay that much... just to watch TV.

I turned mine off.  I can watch or download my favorite shows online.  It's a little over $50 a month.

New Visitor
VancePackard

I will be stopping my Xfinity triple-play at the end of this billing period. The ridiculous "Streamflix" was the last straw for me. Don't need their land-line, their TV is simply out-of-reach price-wise and not a viable option any longer. I'll find fax interenet elsewhere. On-Deman is obsolete....ever notice how they just keep rotating the same cr_p movies over and over in the free section...and label them "NEW" ? I just want simple HiDep video without all the fluff they seem to think justifies the price!!! Bye

New Visitor

Comcast business practice is shocking to me ... I was manager of local successful business for decades ... I would NEVER charge a loyal long time customer more than a brand new customer ... when the loyal established client discovers their price is higher, they would drop my company and likely never return ... and rightfully so !!!  ... it is amazing to me that Comcast uses a model so contradictory to standard successful business practice ... it must have something to do with monopoly factor ... I pray for changes soon, and Comcast wakes up to the reality that people they have been screwing for years, long time customers, have another choice ... they will leave them by the millions, NEVER to return.   I will be in that number.

Recognized Contributor

That is way the industry works. Every service provider Directv, Dish, Uverse,FIOS does the same thing. They offer a low intro price and then the price jumps up after a year or two to the normal price. Sometimes you can get into a new promotion, but it likely won't be at the same as the intro price.

New Visitor
djm45

Comcast is ridiculously priced for internet only.   In 2010 I moved into a new home and Verizon was not available so I signed up for comcast internet.  I like it .  The rate was something like 49.99 which was a term rate but I was told that there were always "deals" and that when it expired, I would just call and they would adjust it to the new special.  A short time later it went up to 69.99 - I called - sorry, no specials for existing customers.  Next it went up to 79.99 and I called and they adjusted it back down to where it came to 70.10 with taxes and fees.  I just got my recent bill and it is now 80.10 with taxes.  CRAZY!  We pay 60.99 at my office for Verizon.   I do not subscribe to TV services with anyone because I am not a TV watcher and I do not need phone service. 

I plan to call and ask for a lower rate Tuesday, but if they are unable, Verizon is finally in my area.    Aside from the price, my next complaint is the deceptive mannerism of Comcast. 

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

It might be worth trying Comcast’s Performance Starter. This can allow for great TV as well as internet service for less than 50 bucks a month. Many Comcast subscribers just aren’t aware of this option and Comcast does not actively promote it. It’s a perfect solution for those of you who are sick of seeing continual price increases as well as paying triple digit monthly bills and, as far as I’m concerned, it is well worth the sacrifices. I’ve posted about it elsewhere on the Comcast site but you can click on this link to read more…

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/td-p/1691409