Contributor
Conquesodor

Underground Line Cut - Customer Service Woes

I live in a townhouse community and on 8/26 workers digging outside cut the underground Comcast cable that supplies service to around a half dozen homes.  I didn't know this at the time, so when I called for service, a "regular" tech was dispatched to my home.  He quickly determined that the problem was with the main line and he put in a request with the "maintenance department" to come out and fix the problem.  A guy in a big truck arrived later the same day and as a temporary solution, he ran a line, laying across the ground, from one section of the development to ours.  I was told that they would return to fix the underground cable at a later date.

- Since 8/26, I have heard nothing from Comcast and the temporary line is still what is giving us service.

- I fear that at some point the temporary line, which runs across lawns and walkways, will get damaged and we'll again be disconnected.

- I've tried to call the main Comcast Customer Support line, but I've had nothing but trouble.  I was told once that they couldn't help me and that I needed to call the "local service office," only to discover that the number I was given doesn't connect to anything.

- The second time I called, the CS person I spoke with was rude and had difficulty understanding my problem.  I was told that there was no record of an open service issue and that a new tech would have to be dispatched, but that I would have to call back "because they system was down."  I'm not sure if I was getting the run-around or if she even understood what type of service issue this was.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?  I just want the underground cable repaired before the temporary line gets damaged.

Ken

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Underground Line Cut - Customer Service Woes

Ken,

I have notified the Administrator of the post.  Watch for a reply please.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

To bury a cable line, other utilities have to come out and mark their lines first and Comcast may have to get permits as well. After those things are completed, then Comcast will send a contractor to bury the line. It's not unusual for temp lines to go unburied for 30+ days. Save yourself the grief of calling in, because customer service can't make the process move any faster.

Contributor
Conquesodor

I was told by the tech who originally came out that it wouldn't take that long.  Either way, I'd like to know what to expect.  It's not very comforting that customer service can't tell me anything.  The last person I spoke with suggested I needed to schedule another service call - but I don't know if that is accurate or not.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Every system is different - so I can't be very specific. In the systems I've worked in, the lines are usually buried within two weeks, but smetimes it could be much longer. Your local techs probably have a pretty good idea how long it takes their system to bury lines, I imagine the tech was giving you his best guess. There is no point in sending another premise tech out, he won't be able to do anything.

Contributor
Conquesodor

[ Edited ]

I appreciate your insight into the situation.  I also guessed that another tech visit isn't necessary.  The last person I talked to said that the tech's "are all the same" and that they need to send someone out to "evaluate" the situation.  I keep trying to explain to the people on the phone that I'm just trying to follow up on this and find out the status, but they either don't understand or can't access the necessary information - either way that is frustrating from a customer standpoint.

I just want to know that a) this is definitely on someone's "to-do" list, b) get a best guess at when it will be taken care of and c) tell me how I can get an update in the future.

I've been happy with Comcast service until now, but it is ridiculous that I'm totally in the dark about this situation and that everyone else seems to be too.

By the way, are you a Comcast representative or just a friendly forum particpant?

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

All Comcast employees will have their username in red text. But Neuberg I believe, did work for Comcast for quite some time.

CC.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor
Conquesodor

CCCarole wrote:

All Comcast employees will have their username in red text. But Neuberg I believe, did work for Comcast for quite some time.

CC.

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought you were from Comcast because you said you were referring my message to an administrator!  So what did that mean?  What are the odds that someone from Comcast will respond to me here?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Conquesodor wrote:

CCCarole wrote:

CC.

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought you were from Comcast because you said you were referring my message to an administrator!  So what did that mean?  What are the odds that someone from Comcast will respond to me here?

It means that I have alerted the Administrator to your post.The odds are very good that the Administrator will reply to your post- During the early part of the regular business week.

Contributor
Conquesodor

Great! Thanks for the helpful feedback!  :smileygrin:

Regular Contributor
commtech1

It's a temp feeder, not a temp subscriber drop. They should of had somebody come out and splice in a replacement already.... Wan't it taken care of ? go out and trip over the line accidently.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Does your town have an official website? If it does, look on the site and see if the municipal code is posted. If it is, look for a section regarding cable franchises. In my city, it's called Cable Television Systems. This is a very detailed code for cable companies-which regulates HOW they do business in the city.

Read the code. See if there is anything there you can use when dealing with Comcast. Example: you have called Comcast about your issue. It's been (hopefully) documented. Your code may have something that says Comcast has xxx number of days to respond to complaints after the intial complaint.

The code for my city states

[Drop lines, truck lines, and other outside wiring.] Cable drop lines,
cable trunk lines, or any other type of outside wiring that comprise part of the
grantee's cable system that are located underground, shall be placed in such
locations pursuant to city code, and the surrounding ground shall be restored as
close as is practical to the condition to which it existed immediately prior to
such construction within seventy-two (72) hours after connection to the cable
system, or such time as agreed to by the property owner. Additional time may be
allowed for the completion of such restoration if individual circumstances
warrant. Except for the grantee's maintenance facilities, no cable drop line,
cable trunk line, or any other type of outside wiring shall be permitted to lay
upon the ground within the city, except for the express purpose of being
immediately connected to the cable system of the grantee. The requirements of
this subsection shall apply to all installation, reinstallation, service or
repair commenced by the grantee within the city during normal operating
conditions. The city shall determine in its sole discretion whether operating
conditions were not within the control of the grantee.

There is a site which might have your code online http://www.municode.com/Library/Library.aspx

If you cannot find it online, your city attorney may be able to help you.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
Conquesodor

I hope it won't come to lawyers and all that, but that's a good suggestion if I can't get any satisfaction soon.

I'd rather no one "accidentally" trips over the line, as I'd much rather that this gets this fixed without another interuption in my service.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Lawyers don't have to be involved. I mentioned the city attorney as a person who should be able to tell you if the code for your city mentions anything similar to  what the Tuscaloosa code states.

If you find the code online and it has anything about this you may not need to get the city attorney involved.

If it does, you have something else to present to Comcast which is violating the franchise agreement by dragging their heels on this.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
Conquesodor

Understood.  I'm hoping to get a response from Comcast here, but if nothing comes of this by later in the week, I will check with my town and write a letter to the Comcast "main office."

Contributor
Conquesodor

Well, this is very disappointing.  I've heard absolutely nothing from Comcast here.

I checked out my town's Cable TV web site and they say that if you can't get your issue resolved that you should contact the State Board of Public Utilities. I suppose I may have to do that.   I looked at the local ordinance, but there is nothing there that governs circumstances as specific as this.  I think I will also investigate contacting the corporate office.  *sigh*

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

I don't know why I missed it before, but commtech1 is right - it's feeder not a subscriber drop. The difference being that nobody will care how much you complain, the engineering/construction department will fix it as they see fit.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I escalated this to the Administrator for the second time.  Hopefully, you will hear something back soon.

CC

Regular Contributor
commtech1

Not to worry, Comcast cares.

Contributor
Conquesodor

Yeah, I'm really overwhlemed by the service.... :smileysad:

Thanks to everyone who has posted however - if not for you I'd be talking only to myself.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

I really want to apologize for getting back to you so late. I don't see anywhere in your records that they buried the line at your location.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Service Expert
Queen-Evie