Contributor

Why do you offer the Blast Plus package if.....

.....nobody is actually qualified to get it?

According to phone reps, it's an online-only package, so they can't switch me to that plan over the phone.

The online chat people say that since I'm one step above Digital Economy, I can't downgrade online and have to do it over the phone.  I'm then given the same number as the people who just told me they can't help me.

It's a very good package at the price point I'm willing to pay.   Right now I'm paying more and getting less, and it seems that Comcast likes it that way because nobody is willing to help me.  All I'm getting is the runaround, and all I want is a decent package at a decent price. 

I'm trying to work *with* you guys here, but at this rate, I'm just going to end up cancelling my service altogether and switching to DSL.  It can't be much worse than the crappy 6 MBPS that I get from you guys now....

Contributor

Re: How do I downgrade service?

I would also like an answer to MadisonGal's question, as I'm in the *exact* same situation she's in.

If I try to downgrade my services online, the live chat representative says I'm not allowed to downgrade my services online.  I'm then referred to the customer service line, who says that I can't select that feature over the phone because it's an online-only offer. Basically, I get the runaround and am told "No" no matter where I turn. 

In other words, a product advertised to me is not being made available to me because they don't want me to downgrade.  The Blast Plus package offers exactly what I'm looking for, and I fail to understand why I'm not allowed to downgrade.  I watch very little television and need higher internet speeds than I'm currently getting, but (despite being advertised on the website) they're not allowing me to choose a package that fits my budget and meets my needs.

I'm currently paying over $100 for Digital Starter (which I have no use for) and 6 mbps speeds (too slow).  The Blast Plus package gives me Digital Economy (which is perfectly suitable for my needs) and 30 mbps speeds (much better) for $80. 

And no matter where I turn, I get the same answer (No), but different reasons why. 

Contributor

well since someone moved my post (gee, what a surprise), at least I know someone is reading this. So what are the chances of getting an answer?

Contributor
Corporat

[ Edited ]

Screen shot 2012-07-12 at 11.04.53 PM.png                                                                                                                                                                                                         This offer is when i sign into my account and says available in my area . Spent hours with CSR's who said not available in my area even though those speeds are available in my area .

Contributor

I get the same thing Corporat gets, except the detail advertised to me is for 30 Mbps instead of 16.

And the reason I'm told I can't get it is because this is for new customers who want to upgrade their service.  Problem with that is that you *can't upgrade* to Digital Economy -- it's the lowest package offered!  So nobody is actually qualified to upgrade to this plan!  And digital starter customers (me) aren't allowed to downgrade to Economy -- even though I've repeatedly stated that I have no problems losing a ton of channels that I've never once watched.

New Visitor
Madduxfan00

I just read the fine print at the bottom of the "Exclusive Customer Offer" of Blast Plus for $79.95 (pasted below) and it says that the offer ended on June 21st - nearly three weeks ago! In my mind, if they're still publicizing it, it should still be available. If the offer ended, they should take down the promotion.

Offers end 6/21/12. Limited to residential customers satisfying applicable eligibility criteria. Not available in all areas or to customers with unpaid account balances. To qualify for offer, service must be ordered via www.comcast.com. Offer limited to (1) Blast Plus, (2) HBO®, STARZ®, SHOWTIME® and Cinemax®; (3) Performance Internet service, (4) Blast Internet service or (5) Comcast Unlimited®. Premium channel offers limited to Digital TV residential customers who have not subscribed to selected premium channel(s) during the past 120 days. High-Speed Internet service limited to a single outlet and requires subscription to either XFINITY TV or Voice service at regular rates. XFINITY Unlimited service requires subscription to either XFINITY TV or Internet service at regular rates. After first 6 months, monthly service charge for Performance Internet goes to $34.99, for Blast Internet goes to $44.99 and for Comcast Unlimited® goes to $34.99 for months 7-12. After promotional period, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular charges apply. Comcast’s current monthly service charge for Blast Plus is $79.95, for Performance Internet ranges from $42.95 to $62.95, for Blast Internet ranges from $52.95 to $72.95, for Comcast Unlimited ranges from $39.95 to $44.95, and for HBO®, STARZ®, SHOWTIME® and Cinemax® ranges from $15.95 to $21.95, depending on area and other Comcast services subscribed to, if any. Equipment, installation, taxes, franchise fees, the Regulatory Recovery Fee and other applicable charges extra (e.g., per-call or international charges) extra. May not be combined with other offers. Internet: PowerBoost provides bursts of download and upload speeds for the first 20 MB and 10 MB of a file, respectively. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed. Not all features, including Constant Guard™ Protection Suite, are available with Macintosh systems. For details about Constant Guard for MAC, visit xfinity.com/CGMAC. Voice: $29.95 activation fee may apply. Unlimited calling applies to direct-dialed calls from home to locations in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and certain other U.S. territories. Service (included 911/emergency services) may not function after an extended power outage. XFINITY Connect requires subscription to XFINITY Internet. Call clarity claim based on August 2010 analysis of traditional phone service by Tektronix. Transfers of existing telephone number not always available. Call for restrictions and complete details. © 2012 Comcast. All rights reserved. Norton™ is a registered mark of Symantec Corporation. IDENTITY GUARD® and associated logos are trademarks or federally registered trademarks of Intersections Inc. CONSTANT GUARD™ and associated logos are trademarks or federally registered trademarks of Comcast Corporation.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

When in a store if sign says "sale" I believe the state requires the merchants to honor that price one would expect comcast to live up to same standards . Know lets see if comcast really has a customer guarantee and satisfaction .    Test .

Again if not satisfied with comcast CSR's contact your local comcast franchise authority (# should be on bill ) Then the BBB and finally the FCC .

* Screen shot * saved to FCC file .

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

emhamilton wrote: ... you *can't upgrade* to Digital Economy -- it's the lowest package offered!  ...

Doesn't your area have Limited Basic?

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

If so downgrade to limited basic , wait a week then ask to upgrade to digital economy ?  There is probably some unwritten rule against that .

New Visitor
Marto

[ Edited ]

I have basic cable and tried to upgrade ... story was that the offer was not available in my area. Has ANYONE EVER received this deal?

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Yes , but it took me over 40 hours of calling .  Call your local comcast franchise authority explain whats going on . Comcast was suppose to remove the offer or reflect the "real" offers for local areas on website  . Maybe taking out a full size Ads posting this offer  in local papers would prompt comcast to motivate faster .

New Visitor
j4bs420933

Re: Why do you offer the Blast Plus package if.....

Same issue here. I tried to downgrade online and I'm told to call the 800 number. I call the 800 number and I am told that it's an online only offer. They do not want to let you lower your outrageous bill.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Try this:

If you feel as if you’re the victim of an agent’s bait-and-switch or some other form of dishonest advertising, copy the add to.

Federal Trade

CRC-240

CommissionWashington, D.C. 20580

New Visitor
rchamb

I just got the same story from Xfnity... Extremely frustrating that they took my order all the way to scheduling and then tell me I can't order it because it's 4 dollars a month cheaper than what I'm paying now (downgrade service).. 

This could be why they are the reigning champions for worst customer service. I will say the reps were polite and as helpful as they could be.. My educated guess is that someone in marketing set up these offers and is to blame.. 

Visitor
ronbout

I am also getting complete runaround from Comcast.  I ordered the Blast Plus Internet Only package which clearly states that I should receive the Streampix  service, which is pretty much the equivalent of Hulu Plus.  I watch very little tv and felt that would handle my needs and can use the higher download speed.  

I received the confirmation email, outlining what services I would receive, including the Streampix.  

Now, they are telling me that I have to also subscribe to a cable TV package if I want to receive Streampix.  What?  Then, why did their own website advertise an internet only package with Streampix?  Why does their confirmation email include Streampix?

Good luck getting a straight answer from anyone.  I spent over 2 1/2 hours today and heard a different story from everyone.  The last guy said they had given me the wrong modem, but I can't see how that would affect what shows they give me access to.  I can watch some shows on their TV site...the same shows that I can also watch for free on Hulu or Youtube.

It's more than extremely frustrating.  It's sad to see that a company of that size clearly seems to be engaged in a blatant bait and switch scam.  Just pathetic. 

Anyone willing to work for Comcast should be ashamed!

Regular Contributor
TheDude2012

DO NOT pay for "Blast" unless "Business Need" "to do so

Don't waste your time wth the "BLAST" service---it's a "Smoke and Mirrors" way of *OFFERING* higher service speeds--without actually being able to subscribe. 

If you are a business person, working from home--need to pull down data from Corporate Network *MAYBE*---however the way Cable Servcie works--is your speed is dependent upon teh "Cluster" of individuals using Cable around you. 

Ie. if you live in a Neighborhood with lots of Comcast users (Or *ESPECIALLY* an Apartment)----NOT worth it...you'll simply be slowed down, based upon the many people connected at the time. 

If you know how to set up scripts (or Batch Files)--plenty of help on line---to "pull down" information you need in middle of night--*MUCH* more effective than "Blast"

And  "BLAST" is as it sounds--you are not *CONSISTENLY* getting that speed--you can just "BLAST" to that speed when needed. Again, whatever "Pipe" you are on with others around you--adn the "demand" they are putting on it...blast won't help you---it's the fault of the "Coax"---you can *ONLY* put so much data through a Coax--no matter how much *BLAST*  you have. 

Also, the signal you are pushing, has much shorter distances to go (vs. Fiber--or GOD WILLING Optical).

Example, on Coax you can get 30-down/about 7-8 up
*ON FIBER*--can get 30down/30-up
Optical---*HOMER DROOL

Again,"BLAST" isa marketing gimic--now, if they come out with some technology--*FRONT IN LINE*--for Data transmission---SURE--that's better--as you wait the MS--for others around you who hit "Enter" first---

DOCSIS 3.0 standard
Ahhh, jsut found as of 7/16/2012 Comcast is moving up to the AND "BLAST* won't work with the new standard---To take advantage of DOCSIS 3.0, you need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. DOCSIS 2.0 modems will still work with our speed tiers (except for Blast and Extreme 50),

Also *NEVER* buy into a "twisted pair" (ie. phone lines)---type CRACK ROCK--AT&T is trying to sling. 
One place I Lived, couldn't get comcast--got AT&T--*NIGHTMARE*---"twisted pair" is "your Grandfaters" technology--dont' care HOW MUCH--effort they've used to increase through put---it's a wire--there is again, only so much you can push through a copper wire. (plus, took *SIX MEN*--2x2--about 8-10 hours to get mine up and running--*DESPITE* the CO--being right below my window---THANKFULLY--as the "Presmise" tech was there---got it up--teh "Outside techl"--pulled the wrong wire--cute me off---I opened window--yelled down--whatever you *JUST PULLED* put it back--you killed my internt--he did and internet was back up. 

IF you really desire/need speed---checkout Xfinity DOCSIS 3.0---plans. 

AND PRAY--they get Fiber to you as soon as possible...as your Up and Down are about the same--I use a cloud based Backup System---NIGHTMARE--trying to get my Data up at 5kbps a second...*sigh*
Again, why Coax can't do it--they can't push that much data across copper wire

Fiber and *DEAR GOD--HOMER DROOL"---Optical---ie. *LIGHT SPEED*---cannot WAIT.....
Again, nix the "Blast"--nothing but a market "gimic"
Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: DO NOT pay for "Blast" unless "Business Need" "to do so

TheDude2012 wrote: ... (vs. Fiber--or GOD WILLING Optical). ...

How is "fiber" different from "optical"?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

TheDude2012 wrote:

Again, nix the "Blast"--nothing but a market "gimic"

Blast is just the name of a service tier, like "economy" or "extreme". No gimmicks.

Connection Expert
EG

Seems this poster is mistakenly using the term "Blast" for their *Powerboost* speed bursting feature.

New Visitor
80Ramey

[ Edited ]

Add me to the list of frustrated comcast customers. My 24 month triple play term was up in August. My bill has gone up from $120 in the begining to $190 by the end of contract. I'm not going to stand by and watch it go up any more.

Like everyone else, I was looking to trim the bill with the Blast Plus Package. After being told I did not qualify for it because I was downgrading, they tried to sign me back up for the same plan I had already participated in but without the intro rates. OR, they could drop the phone line and charge me $3 more a month (??) or trade my DVR box in for a HD box and save $6. I was given the option to buy my own modem as well and save $7!! These are not the savings I am looking for.

I opted to cancel the phone and tv and pick up an internet and basic cable package for $65 a month. Between the Xbox, Roku, and basic cable, I will survive until I qualify for an upgrade. 

I would have gladly paid for the no term blast package at $84/month, and my DVR/modem service for another $23. Heck, I'd even throw in another $10 for HBO.

$117 or $65 Comcast?