Contributor
Lynnie22

Your state's Public Service Commission - for complaints

[ Edited ]

Try to find your state's agency that covers consumer comlains about inappropriate action by companies we do business with.  I'm looking for mine right now, especially as it regards blocking our bills and incorrect bill increases.  Wish me luck.

Just saw the following information on another customer's post:  It's very helpful.

A suggestion here for dissapointed customers - get in touch with your local state level public utilities commission, commonly known as the Public Service Commission, or PSC. In some states they are referred to as the Public Utilities Commission, or PUC. AFAIK there is some form of governing commission that ultimatley has the deciding factor in the utility companies being able to get rate hikes which this "commission" must sanction for that state before the company in question is "allowed" to pass an increase to the customer. Usually this means that the company must provide reports of service, reports of customer issue resolutions (what was done/how it ws resolved), among other criterior. If the PSC finds that there are numerous complaints about this company, due to a number of unresolved issues, and calls/complaints directly to the PSC these are counted against the company when they are seeking hikes for the upcoming year or term, how ever it regulated. In the end it is like a "report card" to determine if the company is operating in the best interests of it's customers and if the increase is justified. Poor service/many customer complaints is detrimental during the last previous term will deny them the increase until they "get it together.

Hope that helps.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Your state's Public Service Commission - for complaints

[ Edited ]

Lynnie22 wrote:

If the PSC finds that there are numerous complaints about this company, due to a number of unresolved issues, and calls/complaints directly to the PSC these are counted against the company when they are seeking hikes for the upcoming year or term, how ever it regulated. In the end it is like a "report card" to determine if the company is operating in the best interests of it's customers and if the increase is justified. Poor service/many customer complaints is detrimental during the last previous term will deny them the increase until they "get it together.

Hope that helps.

One must first know what falls under the jurisdiction of your Public Service Commission.

They do regulate things such as  electric, gas, water, and phone service. These are considered essential services and must go before the commission to request a rate increase. Although water is mentioned it's usually the local municipality which regulates water rates.

There are other things that vary state to state, such as gas pipelines and rail safety.

They generally do not regulate cable companies, which do not need permission to raise prices.

Before you complain to your state commission find out if they do regulate cable companies.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
Lynnie22

Well, there you are, then!  Comcast is completely blameless, with no respite possible for its customers!  We're captive audiences, paying those ever increasing and puzzling price increases, rotten customer service, and constant, repetive service outages 'til our contract expires.  Bet that makes you a happy camper, "Queen-Evie", i.e., Comcast.

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]
To be fair, you're twisting QE's words. That's not what she said. She's another customer, who in no way, shape or form represents Comcast. She's simply imparting some hard won wisdom learned from her own troubles. Sorry you don't like hearing the truth, but that's no excuse to insult a fellow customer. You're not talking to Comcast here.
Contributor
Lynnie22

In that case, I apologize.  Her responses all start with cookie cutter-type answers, so I just assumed they were copied and pasted from a customer service response book.

Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, since Comcast abandoned this forum, that's about all we have for billing issues. We can't make adjustments or anything that requires access to accounts. We can and do empathize, and provide advise on tactics that have worked in the past for some of us. But trust me on this, most of us aren't "fan boys (or girls) of Comcast"!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Lynnie, I certainly understand why you would think I was responding on behalf of Comcast with a cookie cutter response.

As stated, I am NOT a Comcast employee. Never have been, never will be. My only relationship to Comcast is the I've had for over 30 years-they provide a service to me and in return I pay them for that service. I would not want to be an employee. If I were I'd have to toe the company line which means I could not complain about Comcast when the need arises. And I have been very vocal in my complaints over the years.

Your post did not offend me. I accept your apology.

My reply was simply to inform you and others that cable is not regarded as a regulated utility. Even though internet has become a way of life and some consider it a neccesity, it is not an essential service. 

Having said that, what Comcast charges is outrageous. I pay big bucks each month for my service and honestly I feel like it's not a good value. How can it be when the dvr is buggy and doesn't function like it's supposed to? It makes me feel like I'm being ripped off because I'm paying for something I'm not receiving.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

What QE said.  The cable industry has worked hard to keep themselves categorized as an "information service", specifically to avoid regulation. 

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Lynnie22-

Apologize for the late reply but is there anything that I can assist you with.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Service Expert
Queen-Evie