New Visitor
bobmog

how do i cancel my services?

My wife and I just moved and we needed interent and cable installed. We are not to happy about our internet and how the router works, and the bill is like $60 dollars more than we were told it would be. My wife is calling Direct right now. I need to cancel everything with comcast but when i call the 1-800 number it tells me that it can not find an account witht my phone number. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: how do i cancel my services?

The best way to cancel is to take all Comcast equipment to the local Comcast office if there is one in your area.

You can cancel when you do so. The bonus is that you will receive receipts for the returned equipment. (more on that below).  Get something in writing that states you cancelled effective on (whatever date). 

About returned equipment:

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. Keep it until the middle of the next century. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.

If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers.  Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

Print out the delivery confirmation (if your computer crashes and you lose the info the print out will be your proof of return) This should also be kept in a safe place where you can get to it if needed.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

All you do is call and say cancel and then return your equipment but keep the receipt forever.

So what is the problem with your router and you bill.  your first bill will always be a lot higher than your normal bill as its prorated.   You don't need to use comcast router, you can just get the cable modem and get your own wireless router that is the preferred set up.  Also if you are a new customer you have 30 days to cancel with no penalty but if you are passed 30 days and in a promo you will be charge a hefty cancelation fee.

Do your research before switching to directv also, you will find a lot of the same issues no matter where you go.   If you live in a cold climate you have to remove the snow in winter to get reception so make sure you put the dish where you can reach it.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

You could call and cancel and return the equipment. However, there have been numerous complaints by those who did cancel by calling saying that they kept being billed for service that was supposed to have been cancelled. When they call Comcast about it they are told "we see no record of your service being cancelled".

On the flip side, a lot of people have no issues when cancelling over the phone.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.